It's just possible that the national GOP hates Kris Kobach more than Kris Kobach hates immigrants. Which is high bar to clear! From the moment he declared for the Kansas's US Senate race by misspelling his own name on the registration form, the National Republican Senate Committee accused him of "simultaneously put[ting] President Trump's presidency and Senate Majority at risk." But Chris -- sorry, Kris -- Kobach brushed off the DC insiders' gripes with the dogged confidence of a guy who plans to grift a billion dollars to erect a home-brew border wall.
While Mike Pompeo was Hamlet-ing all over Foggy Bottom, the NRSC could keep Kansas on the back burner. But now that Pompeo says he's foregoing the Senate race to take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fuck shit up in the Middle East, the GOP is panicking. The Wall Street Journal reports that internal Republican polling has Kobach almost 20 points ahead of his closest primary challenger, Rep. Roger Marshall (KS-1), and weak against a strong Democrat in the general. And Republicans remember that 18 months ago, that racist nutbag Kobach managed to lose the Kansas gubernatorial election by five percent in a state Trump took by 20 points. So they're not risking a narrow GOP majority in the Senate on that incompetent buffoon, at least not if they can help it.
Yesterday the GOP wheeled out 96-year-old Bob Dole to endorse Marshall to succeed retiring Senator Pat Roberts, and Marshall reported raising $250,000 in just three days after Pompeo noped out.
Marshall, who knocked out fellow Republican Tim Huelskamp in 2016, may look like your average whitebread Republican from central casting. And that's because he is. The anti-choice obstetrician opposes both the Affordable Care Act and the state Medicaid expansion agreed upon last week, which would provide health insurance to 100,000 Kansans.
In a normal year, Marshall would likely coast to victory against any Democratic opponent. But this is not a normal year. No year with Kris Kobach on the ballot is normal of course -- the guy recently held a fundraiser with Peter Thiel and Ann Coulter. Besides which, the state seems to be listing toward the center after former governor Sam Brownback's batshit tax cut experiment blew a giant hole in the Kansas GOP's hull.
Last fall, four state legislators switched their party affiliation to Democratic in light of the shitshow shambles that is the GOP in the age of Brownback and Trump. And one of those legislators, state Sen. Barbara Bollier, is likely to be this year's Democratic senatorial nominee. Unlike on the GOP side of the ballot, Democrats have their ducks in order, with the other strong Democrat in the race, former US Attorney Barry Grissom, dropping out and throwing his support to Bollier. She also picked up a high-profile endorsement from former governor Kathleen Sebelius and netted $1 million in donations last quarter, a record for a Democrat in Kansas.
While the GOP has to worry about a contested primary with everyone trying to knock out Kobach -- just like last time -- Bollier can consolidate her support as a centrist who worked (and walked) across the aisle to get things done. It's an outside shot for a Democratic pickup, but with Pompeo out, Cook Political moved the race from Likely to Lean Republican.
Which puts Your Wonkette in the odd position of cheering for Kris Kobach. But we got used to it in 2018, so bring on the cognitive dissonance. Go, Chris, go!
[KC Star / Roll Call / WaPo]
Follow Liz Dye (FKA Your FDF) on Twitter!
Please click here to keep your Wonkette snarky and ad-free!
Originally posted here:
If Kris Kobach Wants To Lose Another Seat For The GOP, Who Are We To Argue? - Wonkette
- Hope Hicks Is Back as a 'Senior Counselor' to President Trump - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- One of Joe Rogan's Latest Guests Really Rubbed Some Fans the Wrong Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Torches Epsteins Lawyer Ken Starr During Trump Trial Presentation: His Strategy is to Torture the Senate - Mediaite - January 29th, 2020
- Trump Targets a New Group of Immigrants - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2020
- Trump the transgressor: the psychological appeal of leaders who break the rules - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2020
- Keeping America More or Less The Same - The Arch Conservative - January 29th, 2020
- Gilpin To Play Ann Coulter In "Impeachment" - Dark Horizons - January 25th, 2020
- 'Punk'd' to be revived with Chance the Rapper as new host - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020
- Meghan McCain On The View Is The Epitome Of White Women Tears - BuzzFeed News - January 25th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The Clinton case: Now that was an impeachment - Goshen News - January 23rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: IMPEACHMENT WEEKIts OK to Be Bored; Not OK to Be White - Breitbart - January 23rd, 2020
- Opinion: If war with Iran actually occurs, the U.S. media will be complicit - The Reveille, LSU's student newspaper - January 23rd, 2020
- Trump Is DESPERATE To Build Border Wall Before 2020 Election - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - January 23rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Trolls Trump With '7 Minute' Border Wall Race - January 16th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: CNN and FOX NEWS report on the rise of Hitler - Marshall News Messenger - January 16th, 2020
- Catastrophic fires and the far-right's denialism - Green Left Weekly - January 16th, 2020
- 'Iranians are no threat to Americans': Ann Coulter blasts Trump focus on Iran instead of 'this hemisphere' - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: CNN and Fox News report on the rise of Hitler - Cleburne Times-Review - January 14th, 2020
- There would be no Trump cult without Fox News' propaganda - Los Angeles Times - January 14th, 2020
- 10 years of Campus Reform: The most outrageous stories we've covered so far - Campus Reform - January 14th, 2020
- Obama and Trump eras get smart, substantive (and long) look on 'Frontline' - MinnPost - January 14th, 2020
- The Middle East mess has nothing to do with Donald Trump - The Spectator USA - January 14th, 2020
- Rise of the high-status bully: PBSs Americas Great Divide: From Obama to Trump - The Globe and Mail - January 14th, 2020
- 'Could take up to 7 minutes': Ann Coulter mocks Trump with suggested 'Border Wall 4K' - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Slams Trump Over Border Wall, Compares Him to Bush Sr. in 1992 - Newsweek - January 10th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: CNN and Fox News report on the rise of Hitler - MDJOnline.com - January 10th, 2020
- TheFappening: Ann Coulter - iCloud Leak Scandal [NSFW] - January 4th, 2020
- Are they Dating? Ann Coulter Finally Opens Up about Romance Rumors with ... - January 4th, 2020
- Ann Coulter wiki, affair, married, Lesbian with age, height ... - January 4th, 2020
- Ann Coulter - Biography - IMDb - January 4th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Boyfriend 2017: Who is Ann Coulter Dating? - January 4th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Hollywood not sending us their best - Washington Times Herald - January 4th, 2020
- No Safe Spaces Movie Review - Book and Film Globe - January 3rd, 2020
- BIRTHDAY OF THE DAY: Matt Latimer, partner at Javelin - Politico - January 3rd, 2020
- The Worst Miami Tweets of the 2010s Decade - Miami New Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Happy Kwanzaa! The holiday brought to you by the FBI - Cleburne Times-Review - December 30th, 2019
- SOAS to take action against 'ill-informed' academic who criticised Stormzy - Middle East Eye - December 25th, 2019
- WatchPanel Featuring Ann Coulter, Brandon Darby: A Nation Led by Paramilitary Cartels Is at Our Southern Border - Breitbart - December 25th, 2019
- 12 Unsettling Photos from the Young Conservative Convention Near Mar-a-Lago - VICE - December 25th, 2019
- Ann Coulter - Wikipedia - December 22nd, 2019
- Ann Coulter - IMDb - December 22nd, 2019
- ANN COULTER: Article I: Remove this beast from my sight! - MDJOnline.com - December 22nd, 2019
- Ann Coulter Articles - Political Columnist & Commentator - December 22nd, 2019
- Watch Ann Coulter: If We Dont Address Immigration, the Nuttiest of Democrat Proposals Will Come to the U.S. - Breitbart - December 22nd, 2019
- Ann Coulter Boyfriend 2019: Dating History & Exes | CelebsCouples - December 18th, 2019
- Ann Coulter Husband, Net Worth, Bio, Boyfriend, Married ... - December 18th, 2019