Whether or not former Attorney General Jeff Sessions wins back his old Senate seat, President Donald Trump and Congress must seriously consider his proposal to halt immigration until unemployment returns to pre-Coronavirus levels.
While most politicians are arguing over how to reopen the economy, only Sessions is addressing the impact legal immigration has on jobs. On Thursday, he announced a plan to establish a moratorium on employment-based immigration.
The moratorium would last until the unemployment rate fell to 3.5 percent, where it was before the coronavirus crisis hit the US.
The run-off Republican primary race for US Senate in Alabama was supposed to be over last month. Former Alabama University football coach Tommy Tuberville, boasting an endorsement from Trump himself, led Sessions by double digits in a poll weeks before the initially scheduled election date of March 31.
Now that the election is reset for July 14, due to Covid-19 precautions, new life is breathed into the race. In addition to the Chinese virus, two more pandemics will be top issues: job loss and legal immigration.
Over 22 million Americans lost their jobs in the last month, nearly wiping out all the job gains since the Great Recession, CNBC reported Thursday.
Support for an immigration moratorium is rising among conservative leaders and the American people as a whole. Conservative commentators like Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, Michelle Malkin, and Ann Coulter have long favored one. Charlie Kirk, the leader of Turning Point USA and Students for Trump, recently reversed his position of stapling green cards to diplomas of foreign nationals. He now calls for a total and complete moratorium on all visas.
A recent Ipsos poll found 79 percent of Americans support a temporary pause on all immigration. Currently, over 1 million legal immigrants are added to the country every year.
Sessions opponent, however, recently lamented that 400,000 workers in India were unable to be Americans. In a muddled explanation, Tuberville blamed illegal immigrants for taking the places of these Indians, while also supporting a program to bring illegals out of the shadows.
Where Trump stands on immigration should be clear. Unfortunately, Sessions lost the presidents support after failing as his attorney general, abdicating his role in the Russiagate investigation. Trump is endorsing Tuberville for personal reasons, not policy.
Despite being hawkish on immigration for 20 years in the Senate, and despite being the first sitting US senator to endorse Trump in February 2016, Sessions is now struggling to convince Alabamians that hes the Trumpist candidate.
We dont need to be bringing in immigrants now, in any kind of numbers, that are going to take jobs from Americans, Sessions told the Alabama Federation of Republican Women on Wednesday night, Yellow Hammer News reported.
Whether its Tuberville or Sessions running against incumbent Democrat Senator Doug Jones in November remains to be seen, but the American people should not have to wait that long for substantive immigration policy in this crucial moment.
Congress reopens in May. One of the first legislative acts should be to pass a moratorium like the one Sessions is proposing. The corporate donor class wouldnt be pleased, but the country would love it.
In its latest weekly immigration poll, Rasmussen Reports found the American people consistently support a national e-Verify system and reject claims by businesses that say they cant find Americans to fill jobs. Raise the pay, even if it means higher prices, because its keeping Americans working, 60 percent said.
Needless to say, Trump won the White House because of sentiments like those. Right now could not be a better time for him to pressure Congress to reform immigration policy.
A moratorium is a great place to start. A comprehensive bill that permanently ends chain migration and birthright citizenship in exchange for a points-based merit system, while restricting asylum protection to the internationally recognized definition, and which tracks non-immigrant visitors via biometric entry/exit systems should be debated on the House and Senate floors.
Natural supporters in the Senate for these policies include Republican Senators Tom Cotton of Arkansas, David Perdue of Georgia, and Josh Hawley of Missouri, who support the RAISE Act, which cuts legal immigration.
Whereas most Republican senators support big business interests in maintaining a large labor pool that lowers wages, there may be a few who would move further right under current circumstances.
Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky once proposed a trade-off where no new legal immigrants would be accepted while were assimilating the ones who are here.
Senator Ted Cruz of Texas told Numbers USA that legal immigration should be scaled down to traditional levels of 250,000 per year when he was a candidate in 2012.
With three months of campaigning left to go, Sessions reported a campaign account balance of over $749,000, and Tuberville reportedly has campaign cash totaling nearly $459,000. Of course, much more money will be spent on the race by outside political action committees, especially under an economic lockdown confining many voters to TV and computer screens.
Much of that money could be wisely spent communicating a message that reflects the decades-long plea of Americans to put America first.
Tuberville may have the most recent photos smiling alongside Trump, but so far, Sessions is bringing the substance. Come 2021, whoever the next Alabama senator is, they should be voting on an immigration moratorium bill if one has not already passed.
See the original post here:
Jeff Sessions' Immigration Moratorium Should Have Trump's Backing - The Schpiel
- Cornell Republicans Endorse Trump, Breaking With 2016 Position - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - October 17th, 2020
- Amy Coney Barrett Hearing & Cory Booker: Democrat Misleads on Abortion and Roe v. Wade - National Review - October 17th, 2020
- Fact vs. opinion in the case of Kyle Rittenhouse: Part 2 - The Courier-Express - October 2nd, 2020
- Conservative Pundit Slams Donald Trump, Corrupt System Over Tax Returns - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Who Won The Debate? Liberal, Conservative Pundits Give Their Breakdown Of Trump vs. Biden - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump Planning Massive ICE Raids Before Election To Rile His Base - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - October 2nd, 2020
- Cuomo Threat Against Trump Applies to All Who Support President's Agenda - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - September 14th, 2020
- With a hand from Trump, the right makes Rittenhouse a cause clbre - POLITICO - September 8th, 2020
- Trump's Contempt for the Sick and Disabled Is Written All Over His Covid-19 Response - City Watch - September 8th, 2020
- The Readers' Forum: Tuesday letters | Letters To The Editor | journalnow.com - Winston-Salem Journal - September 8th, 2020
- One of Trump's biggest detractors is as conservative as they come - Public Opinion - September 8th, 2020
- There are warning signs that America is in the early stages of insurgency. - Slate - September 8th, 2020
- "A Movement of Women" takes a critical look at conservative women in the century since the 19th amendment was ratified - Art Critique - August 20th, 2020
- Why do Liberals Shut down Free Speech and Conservatives Don't? - The Times of Israel - August 20th, 2020
- Biden is like a house you buy 'as is.' I did, and it's the best investment I ever made. - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020
- A New Gallery Show Scrutinizes the Legacies of Anti-Feminist Women, From Ayn Rand to Kellyanne Conway - artnet News - August 14th, 2020
- Kamala Harris is Asian and Black. That shouldn't be confusing in 2020 but it is to some. - NBC News - August 14th, 2020
- Editorial: CMU should be able to handle a Richard Grenell - TribLIVE - June 25th, 2020
- 'Mrs. America' Showrunner Dahvi Waller On Viewing American History as a Canadian, Showing the Birth of Intersectional Feminism - Awards Daily - June 25th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Yale University has to go! | Opinion | havasunews.com - Today's News-Herald - June 23rd, 2020
- 'This is insanity!': Conservatives slam removal of Theodore Roosevelt's statue from Museum of Natural History - MEAWW - June 23rd, 2020
- Five Political Films at the 2020 AFI Docs Festival - Splice Today - June 23rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Savannah Morning News - June 6th, 2020
- #WheresTrump: Trump, the loudest man in America cant find his voice - Vox.com - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Perfectly Mocks Trump's Absence of Leadership in This Time of Crisis With Savage Tweet for the Ages - Second Nexus - June 3rd, 2020
- "Law and Order" President in Hiding as D.C. Burns - TheStreet - June 3rd, 2020
- Conflicting Narratives & the Distortion of Donald Trump - Consortium News - June 3rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Dallas County News - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Turns on Disloyal Actual Retard Trump in ... - May 30th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Mocks Trump After Criticism Of Lincoln Project ... - May 30th, 2020
- AROUND TOWN: On being tested for COVID-19 at Kennesaw State University - MDJOnline.com - May 30th, 2020
- Honestly without Anonymity - Outside The Beltway - Mobile Edition - May 24th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Jokes That People Who Died From COVID Will Vote Blue - HillReporter.com - May 22nd, 2020
- CIVIQ: Creative Resiliency During COVID-19 - The Chattanoogan - May 18th, 2020
- How chatter and conservative anger upended a White House staffing search - POLITICO - May 18th, 2020
- Kellyanne and George Conway's Weird, Fascinating, and Maybe Perfectly Healthy Marriage: Charted - Washingtonian - May 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a neocon lab - Today's News-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a NEOCON lab - MDJOnline.com - May 9th, 2020
- GoFundMe Starts After Stores Security Guard Is Shot And Killed Over A Face Mask - News One - May 9th, 2020
- Humor: Davis College Republicans upset they can't host controversial speaker this year - The Aggie - May 9th, 2020
- Katie Couric on How She Spared Ann Curry From an Interview with 'Provocateur' Ann Coulter - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 2nd, 2020
- The battle in the White House on immigration | Opinion - Hindustan Times - April 24th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Liberalism, like the Wuhan virus, will never die - MDJOnline.com - April 18th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: April 16, 2020 - TCPalm - April 16th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Why do we have to deal with this virus at all? - MDJOnline.com - April 14th, 2020
- Review: 'Final Draft: The Collected Work of David Carr,' edited by Jill Rooney Carr - Minneapolis Star Tribune - April 14th, 2020
- Jared Kushner and Ivanka mocked as 'Javanka' for oversized roles in Trump regime's response to coronavirus - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Wendy Bell, America's Worst White Woman, Is Back (and Wants to Kill Your Grandparents) - The Root - April 14th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The bill for globalism has arrived - MDJOnline.com - April 3rd, 2020
- The Quarantinis Are Flowing and the Store Is Out of Milk Bones - The New York Times - April 1st, 2020
- Ann Coulter: How do we flatten the curve on panic? - Today's News-Herald - April 1st, 2020
- Trump Is Willing to Risk Hundreds of Thousands of Lives - Washington Monthly - March 27th, 2020
- Bill Gates on CNN: returning to normal life in April is not realistic - Boing Boing - March 27th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: What globalism got us: Cheap TVs, expensive flu - Today's News-Herald - March 23rd, 2020
- Rick Wilson is further damaging what's left of CNN's and MSNBC's credibility - Washington Examiner - March 23rd, 2020
- OAN correspondent goes full Q in the briefing room tells Trump the media has teamed up with foreign state propaganda - AlterNet - March 23rd, 2020
- We Must Isolate The Vulnerable, Gain Herd Immunity, And Put America Back To Work - Townhall - March 23rd, 2020
- Will the handshake outlast coronavirus? - Spectator.co.uk - March 18th, 2020
- Yes, Coronavirus Is Worse Than the Flu - National Review - March 12th, 2020
- Tomi Lahren 'Far More Concerned With Stepping On A Used Heroin Needle' In CA Than Getting Coronavirus - NewsHounds - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Biden's selection will be good news for Trump - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter may have just given the American people the best reason to vote for Elizabeth Warren yet - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2020
- 10 Films That Predicted The Trump Presidency - WhatCulture - February 28th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Harpooning the toxic whale | Opinion - MDJOnline.com - February 28th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Tells True Story of Being Banned from Fox News - February 22nd, 2020
- ANN COULTER:The Boy Scouts have long been on the left's hate list - MDJOnline.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Letter: Anyone as tired of this as me? | Letters to the Editor - Arizona Daily Star - February 22nd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Honey, We Molested the Kids! - Breitbart - February 22nd, 2020
- The Five Best Things to Do in South Florida This Weekend - New Times Broward-Palm Beach - February 22nd, 2020
- Mick Mulvaney Says America Is Desperate For More Immigrants - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: How our politicians talk to each other matters - UI The Daily Iowan - February 17th, 2020
- Hope Hicks Is Back as a 'Senior Counselor' to President Trump - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- One of Joe Rogan's Latest Guests Really Rubbed Some Fans the Wrong Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Torches Epsteins Lawyer Ken Starr During Trump Trial Presentation: His Strategy is to Torture the Senate - Mediaite - January 29th, 2020
- Trump Targets a New Group of Immigrants - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2020
- Trump the transgressor: the psychological appeal of leaders who break the rules - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2020
- Keeping America More or Less The Same - The Arch Conservative - January 29th, 2020
- Gilpin To Play Ann Coulter In "Impeachment" - Dark Horizons - January 25th, 2020
- 'Punk'd' to be revived with Chance the Rapper as new host - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020