Washington may never have seen a marriage quite like the Conways: Kellyanne, the longtime advisor to President Trump. George, the prolific public tormenter of his wifes boss.
After George announced late in 2019 that he would work to defeat the Presidents re-election by launching an anti-Trump super-PAC, we decided to look back on the arrangement and the epic events that have transpired since the Conways landed in Washington. But we also wondered: Whats it like to be in the same room with the couple? And: Could this marriage be working behind closed doors? Observers and marriage therapists weighed in with some surprising answers. Scroll down to read them.
George gets his friend Ann Coulter to introduce him to conservative it-girl Kellyanne Fitzpatrick after seeing her on the cover of a society magazine.
April 28, 2001
Wedding day in Philadelphia. The Conways then move into Trump World Tower, one of Donald Trumps Manhattan apartment buildings.
December 13, 2005
George and Kellyanne launch a blog for National Review called Reconcilable Differences. The tagline: Two Conways, Two Takes. His: The Bush administration is the most politically and substantively inept that the nation has had in over a quarter of a century. Hers: When pondering why George, a fairly even-tempered fellow, feels so strongly, I am reminded of a line by Bree Van De Kamp, the fastidious perfectionist widow on ABCs Desperate Housewives. . . . The opposite of love isnt hate, Bree says, its indifference. And if you hate me, that means you still care, and were still connected . . . .
George helps Trump with a condo-board issue, arguing against removing Trumps name from the World Tower facade. Impressed, Trump invites George to join the board. He declines but introduces Trump to Kellyanne. She joins the board.
May 2006June 2016
Kellyanne is a go-to pollster/adviser for right-wingers, such as Newt Gingrich and Mike Pence. She runs her first poll for Trump in 2013 when he considers a New York gubernatorial run. . . . George is a partner at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen, & Katz in New York, handling securities and corporate litigation. In 2010, he argues at the Supreme Court for the first time. . . . The Conways retreat to the burbs to raise their four children in Alpine, New Jersey.
July 1, 2016
Candidate Trump hires Kellyanne.
August 17, 2016
Trump promotes Kellyanne to campaign manager.
November 8, 2016
November 29, 2016
George and Kellyanne take a Thanksgiving vacation in Miami.
December 30, 2016
George is said to be in the running for solicitor general. Kellyanne reportedly angles to snag him the job, squaring off with Jeff Sessions.
December 31, 2016
The couple hit the DC social circuit, spending New Years Eve at then British ambassador Kim Darrochs party.
March 17, 2017
So much for solicitor general: Trump reportedly wants George to run DOJs civil division instead.
April 2, 2017
The Conways buy an 11,000-square-foot Massachusetts Avenue Heights mansion with eight bedrooms, 11 bathrooms, and a pool for nearly $8 million.
May 31, 2017
George declines Trumps job offer, writing him: Kellyanne and I continue to support you and your Administration, and I look forward to doing so in whatever way I can from outside the government.
June 5, 2017
On the same day that Kellyanne, in a Today interview, derides the medias obsession with covering everything [Trump] says on Twitter, George taps out his first negative tweet about the President, saying POTUSs tweets might make people feel better but wont get his travel ban approved by the Supremes.
October 30, 2017
The Conways greet guests on the White Houses South Lawn for a Halloween event.
January 1, 2018
The couple attend their neighbor Adrienne Arshts New Years Day brunch.
Trump deluges Twitter with condemnations of the Russia probe . . . tweets that hes a very stable genius . . . says Democrats who didnt applaud his SOTU address are treasonous . . . considers canning special counsel Robert Mueller.
April 28, 2018
The Conways attend the White House Correspondents Dinner, where comedian Michelle Wolf roasts Kellyanne: Man, she has the perfect last name for what she does: Conway.
June 11, 2018
Amid a spate of Trump tweets attacking the special counsels investigation, George defends it in Lawfare, his first op-ed criticizing Trump.
July 9, 2018
George has 74,800 Twitter followers, up from roughly 5,500 at the time of his first anti-Trump tweet.
August 14, 2018
After a Washington Post reporter obliquely compares Trump to a CEO, George retweet-replies: What if a CEO routinely made false and misleading statements about himself, the company, and results, and publicly attacked business partners, company divisions (w/scare quotes!), employees, and analysts, and kowtowed to a dangerous competitor?
August 15, 2018
With half of Washington wondering about the Conways marriage, the Post profiles the couple. Kellyanne says Georges tweets are a violation of basic decency, certainly, if not marital vowsthen retroactively asks for the quote to be attributed to a person familiar with [the Conways relationship].
August 24, 2018
George tweets: What everyone should want . . . is a President capable of comprehending what it means to take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed. Art. II 3.
October 30, 2018
George writes his first op-ed for the Post.
November 9, 2018
Reporters ask Trump about George. You mean Mr. Kellyanne Conway? Hes just trying to get publicity for himself.
November 14, 2018
George cofounds Checks and Balances, a group of right-leaning lawyers pledging to speak out for a government of laws, not men.
November 16, 2018
On a podcast, George calls the administration a shitshow in a dumpster fire. Asked how his wife sees his tweeting, George says, I dont think she likes it. But Ive told her I dont like the administration, so its even.
December 3, 2018
After a George tweet, Eric Trump tweets: . . . the utter disrespect George Conway shows toward his wife, her career, place of work, and everything she has fought SO hard to achieve, might top them all.
January 16, 2019
A day after a Trump tweet misspelled hamburger and Burger King responded with a joke, George tweets: Think of how much of a laughingstock a president has to become to have *Burger King* make fun of him. Sad.
March 18, 2019
George tweets a picture of the DSM-5.
Then: pics of the criteria for narcissistic personality disorder and antisocial personality disorder.
Then: *all* Americans should be thinking seriously *now* about Trumpsmental condition and psychological state, including and especially the media, Congressand the Vice President and Cabinet.
Parscale tweets: We all know that @realDonaldTrump turned down Mr. Kellyanne Conway for a job he desperately wantedNow he hurts his wife because he is jealous of her success. POTUS doesnt even know him!
March 19, 2019
Trump retweet-replies: A total loser!
George retweets Trump: Tell us, @realDonaldTrump which of these diagnostic criteria do you not satisfy?
Parscale tweets: The rumor that Mr Kellyanne Conway introduced @KellyannePolls to @realDonaldTrump is a complete fabrication. . . . POTUS couldnt pick him out of a lineup.
George retweet-replies: LOL.
George gives a lengthy interview to the Post, dishing purported inside dope on Trump personnel decisions. (He says Trump told him hed nixed John Bolton for Secretary of State because of Boltons mustache.)
March 20, 2019
Trump tweets: George Conway, often referred to as Mr. Kellyanne Conway by those who know him, is VERY jealous of his wifes success & angry that I, with her help, didnt give him the job he so desperately wanted. I barely know him but just take a look, a stone cold LOSER & husband from hell!
George retweet-replies: You. Are. Nuts.
Kellyanne tells Politico: [Trump] left it alone for months out of respect for me. But you think he shouldnt respond when somebody, a non-medical professional, accuses him of having a mental disorder?
March 21, 2019
Responding to Fox Businesss Maria Bartiromo, Kellyanne says: I appreciate the President defending what he thinks is unfairness. . . . I was raised, though, in a household of strong Italian Catholic women who taught me that you air grievances like that in private. . . . I know George is quoted recently as saying, I wish she didnt work there. . . . But what message would that send to the feminists everywhere . . . ?
March 31, 2019
Chris Wallace of Fox News asks Kellyanne if George is jealous. She says: What I will tell you is that George was very supportive of President Trump. Cried on election night in his MAGA hat . . . . Wanted to take a job in the Trump administration and changed his mind.
April 18, 2019
Kellyanne addresses the Russia probe, now completed: This has been a political proctology exam, and [Trumps] emerging with a clean bill of health. George makes his own medical metaphor in a Post op-ed. Headline: TRUMP IS A CANCER ON THE PRESIDENCY. CONGRESS SHOULD REMOVE HIM.
April 28, 2019
On the Conways 18th wedding anniversary, George retweets political analyst Matthew DowdI am reminded of what Margaret Thatcher said Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you arent. George adds, Same with stable genius.
June 22, 2019
In the wake of E. Jean Carrolls allegation that Trump raped her, George writes an op-ed arguing that Carrolls claims are more credible than those of Juanita Broaddrick, who accused Bill Clinton in the 90s.
July 15, 2019
After Trump tweets that the minority congresswomen known as The Squad should go back to where they originally came from, George writes in an op-ed: Naivete, resentment and outright racism, roiled in a toxic mix, have given us a racist president.
August 30, 2019
George contributes $5,600 to Republican Joe Walshs presidential campaign.
September 14, 2019
Read more from the original source:
Kellyanne and George Conway's Weird, Fascinating, and Maybe Perfectly Healthy Marriage: Charted - Washingtonian
- Cornell Republicans Endorse Trump, Breaking With 2016 Position - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - October 17th, 2020
- Amy Coney Barrett Hearing & Cory Booker: Democrat Misleads on Abortion and Roe v. Wade - National Review - October 17th, 2020
- Fact vs. opinion in the case of Kyle Rittenhouse: Part 2 - The Courier-Express - October 2nd, 2020
- Conservative Pundit Slams Donald Trump, Corrupt System Over Tax Returns - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Who Won The Debate? Liberal, Conservative Pundits Give Their Breakdown Of Trump vs. Biden - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump Planning Massive ICE Raids Before Election To Rile His Base - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - October 2nd, 2020
- Cuomo Threat Against Trump Applies to All Who Support President's Agenda - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - September 14th, 2020
- With a hand from Trump, the right makes Rittenhouse a cause clbre - POLITICO - September 8th, 2020
- Trump's Contempt for the Sick and Disabled Is Written All Over His Covid-19 Response - City Watch - September 8th, 2020
- The Readers' Forum: Tuesday letters | Letters To The Editor | journalnow.com - Winston-Salem Journal - September 8th, 2020
- One of Trump's biggest detractors is as conservative as they come - Public Opinion - September 8th, 2020
- There are warning signs that America is in the early stages of insurgency. - Slate - September 8th, 2020
- "A Movement of Women" takes a critical look at conservative women in the century since the 19th amendment was ratified - Art Critique - August 20th, 2020
- Why do Liberals Shut down Free Speech and Conservatives Don't? - The Times of Israel - August 20th, 2020
- Biden is like a house you buy 'as is.' I did, and it's the best investment I ever made. - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020
- A New Gallery Show Scrutinizes the Legacies of Anti-Feminist Women, From Ayn Rand to Kellyanne Conway - artnet News - August 14th, 2020
- Kamala Harris is Asian and Black. That shouldn't be confusing in 2020 but it is to some. - NBC News - August 14th, 2020
- Editorial: CMU should be able to handle a Richard Grenell - TribLIVE - June 25th, 2020
- 'Mrs. America' Showrunner Dahvi Waller On Viewing American History as a Canadian, Showing the Birth of Intersectional Feminism - Awards Daily - June 25th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Yale University has to go! | Opinion | havasunews.com - Today's News-Herald - June 23rd, 2020
- 'This is insanity!': Conservatives slam removal of Theodore Roosevelt's statue from Museum of Natural History - MEAWW - June 23rd, 2020
- Five Political Films at the 2020 AFI Docs Festival - Splice Today - June 23rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Savannah Morning News - June 6th, 2020
- #WheresTrump: Trump, the loudest man in America cant find his voice - Vox.com - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Perfectly Mocks Trump's Absence of Leadership in This Time of Crisis With Savage Tweet for the Ages - Second Nexus - June 3rd, 2020
- "Law and Order" President in Hiding as D.C. Burns - TheStreet - June 3rd, 2020
- Conflicting Narratives & the Distortion of Donald Trump - Consortium News - June 3rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Dallas County News - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Turns on Disloyal Actual Retard Trump in ... - May 30th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Mocks Trump After Criticism Of Lincoln Project ... - May 30th, 2020
- AROUND TOWN: On being tested for COVID-19 at Kennesaw State University - MDJOnline.com - May 30th, 2020
- Honestly without Anonymity - Outside The Beltway - Mobile Edition - May 24th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Jokes That People Who Died From COVID Will Vote Blue - HillReporter.com - May 22nd, 2020
- CIVIQ: Creative Resiliency During COVID-19 - The Chattanoogan - May 18th, 2020
- How chatter and conservative anger upended a White House staffing search - POLITICO - May 18th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a neocon lab - Today's News-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a NEOCON lab - MDJOnline.com - May 9th, 2020
- GoFundMe Starts After Stores Security Guard Is Shot And Killed Over A Face Mask - News One - May 9th, 2020
- Humor: Davis College Republicans upset they can't host controversial speaker this year - The Aggie - May 9th, 2020
- Katie Couric on How She Spared Ann Curry From an Interview with 'Provocateur' Ann Coulter - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 2nd, 2020
- The battle in the White House on immigration | Opinion - Hindustan Times - April 24th, 2020
- Jeff Sessions' Immigration Moratorium Should Have Trump's Backing - The Schpiel - April 21st, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Liberalism, like the Wuhan virus, will never die - MDJOnline.com - April 18th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: April 16, 2020 - TCPalm - April 16th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Why do we have to deal with this virus at all? - MDJOnline.com - April 14th, 2020
- Review: 'Final Draft: The Collected Work of David Carr,' edited by Jill Rooney Carr - Minneapolis Star Tribune - April 14th, 2020
- Jared Kushner and Ivanka mocked as 'Javanka' for oversized roles in Trump regime's response to coronavirus - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Wendy Bell, America's Worst White Woman, Is Back (and Wants to Kill Your Grandparents) - The Root - April 14th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The bill for globalism has arrived - MDJOnline.com - April 3rd, 2020
- The Quarantinis Are Flowing and the Store Is Out of Milk Bones - The New York Times - April 1st, 2020
- Ann Coulter: How do we flatten the curve on panic? - Today's News-Herald - April 1st, 2020
- Trump Is Willing to Risk Hundreds of Thousands of Lives - Washington Monthly - March 27th, 2020
- Bill Gates on CNN: returning to normal life in April is not realistic - Boing Boing - March 27th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: What globalism got us: Cheap TVs, expensive flu - Today's News-Herald - March 23rd, 2020
- Rick Wilson is further damaging what's left of CNN's and MSNBC's credibility - Washington Examiner - March 23rd, 2020
- OAN correspondent goes full Q in the briefing room tells Trump the media has teamed up with foreign state propaganda - AlterNet - March 23rd, 2020
- We Must Isolate The Vulnerable, Gain Herd Immunity, And Put America Back To Work - Townhall - March 23rd, 2020
- Will the handshake outlast coronavirus? - Spectator.co.uk - March 18th, 2020
- Yes, Coronavirus Is Worse Than the Flu - National Review - March 12th, 2020
- Tomi Lahren 'Far More Concerned With Stepping On A Used Heroin Needle' In CA Than Getting Coronavirus - NewsHounds - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Biden's selection will be good news for Trump - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter may have just given the American people the best reason to vote for Elizabeth Warren yet - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2020
- 10 Films That Predicted The Trump Presidency - WhatCulture - February 28th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Harpooning the toxic whale | Opinion - MDJOnline.com - February 28th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Tells True Story of Being Banned from Fox News - February 22nd, 2020
- ANN COULTER:The Boy Scouts have long been on the left's hate list - MDJOnline.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Letter: Anyone as tired of this as me? | Letters to the Editor - Arizona Daily Star - February 22nd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Honey, We Molested the Kids! - Breitbart - February 22nd, 2020
- The Five Best Things to Do in South Florida This Weekend - New Times Broward-Palm Beach - February 22nd, 2020
- Mick Mulvaney Says America Is Desperate For More Immigrants - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: How our politicians talk to each other matters - UI The Daily Iowan - February 17th, 2020
- Hope Hicks Is Back as a 'Senior Counselor' to President Trump - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- One of Joe Rogan's Latest Guests Really Rubbed Some Fans the Wrong Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Torches Epsteins Lawyer Ken Starr During Trump Trial Presentation: His Strategy is to Torture the Senate - Mediaite - January 29th, 2020
- Trump Targets a New Group of Immigrants - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2020
- Trump the transgressor: the psychological appeal of leaders who break the rules - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2020
- Keeping America More or Less The Same - The Arch Conservative - January 29th, 2020
- Gilpin To Play Ann Coulter In "Impeachment" - Dark Horizons - January 25th, 2020
- 'Punk'd' to be revived with Chance the Rapper as new host - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020