Masks protect us all: Why do so few people wear them?
The coronavirus is scary. Simple precautions have been recommended to protect us all, thankfully the suggestion to wear a mask. That is a great idea. Why not? Whatever will help, right?
And yet, I was just in Publixin Sebastian and maybe 30 percent of people, including workers, were wearing them. I can't help but wonder: Why?
Louise Colli, Sebastian
Two days in a row on the paper's opinion page, I read complaints about churches being exempt from stay-at-home orders. The fact is that many churches, including mine, are making a judgment call and not opening, but streaming services at this special time.
One complainer said "the obvious question is why are we staying at home at all?" The obvious answer is because it's the logical, caring thing to do for the protection of ourselves, our friends and family. Sometimes we have to use self discipline and take personal responsibility for ourselves.
Sounds to me like these whiners are disappointed that someone might exercise their God-given right to freedom of choice. Are they envious of the police, doctors, etc. who get to go to work every day?
I suggest that if they want the government to control everyone's movement, they could move to China where they will tell you what job to do, how many children you can have and even lock you in or lock you up for disobedience. Then no one will be able to go to church or work or attend school without the government's approval. Seems like the perfect life for someone who doesn't want to have choices.
Maureen Cotter, Vero Beach
After watching our Martin County commissioners do their show and tell as they tried to make sense out of their stance on private golf clubs, I wondered who, why and how they decided to close the one golf course they have total control of: Martin County municipal golf course, which is open to only Martin County residents and is played mostly by veterans and seniors.
John Canavan, Stuart
Despite an executive order prohibiting gatherings of more than 10 persons, the Martin County Commission has advertised a public hearing April 21 on a proposed ordinance to address a long-standing dispute about platted rights-of-way in Palm City Farms.
Debate over Palm City Farms rights-of-way has been raging for years. A proposed ordinance to prohibit obstruction of rights-of-way was presented last year. Staff was directed to revise it and bring it back after trying to resolve problems for long-time residents who have constructed barns, gates, even homes within platted rights-of-way. The Palm City Farms Trail Association has insisted that all rights-of-way be open for public use, even when cutting through existing farms and residential communities.
The April 21 meeting notice states that "all interested persons are invited to attend and be heard," despite the fact that it is unsafe and unwise for all interested persons to attend the meeting. The commission continues to jeopardize public health and safety by trying to conduct business as usual during most unusual circumstances.
It is wrong for staff and the commission to enact a new ordinance without meaningful public comment or participation, since it is not advisable or permissible for many residents to attend the meeting.
The city of Stuart is postponing public hearings on high-interest matters for the time-being, with the city attorney citing due process concerns if action is taken on issues when the public is effectively restricted or prohibited from participating. This is a responsible approach to local government.
The Martin County Commission should postpone all development and legislative actions likely to generate intense public interest until after all emergency orders and "stay-at-home" directives are lifted.
Virginia Sherlock, Stuart
A man collects unemployment forms at a drive-through collection point outside John F. Kennedy Library in Hialeah on April 8.(Photo: CHANDAN KHANNA, AFP via Getty Images)
As a health care professional I applaud efforts to support healthcare workers during this COVID-19 crisis.
However I find it offensive that the Cleveland Clinic is asking for donations to provide their staff with personal protection equipment when, as reported, they reaped large profits last year. What programs have they instituted? How much of their profit have they distributed among their front-line staff?
Perhaps they should subscribe to charity begins at home and provide for their staff instead of asking the already overwhelmed citizens to open up their pockets (many of which are already running on empty) to preserve their bottom line.
Jan Belwood, Palm City
Ari Fleischer describes President Trump's televised briefings on COVID-19 as realistically representing hope to the American people, and he admonishes reporters who reject Trumps presentations as being in a fight they can't win. Reporters fighting for the truth, which Trump in no way represents, should never give up that fight for any reason and certainly not in response to poll numbers. Fleischer condemns liberal media for advocating that Trump's briefings should be left off the air despite the fact, that his briefings are so dishonest and distorted that Trump inevitably contradicts himself before he can finish a single briefing.
The center-right-leaning Wall Street Journal has condemned Trump for his handling of COVID-19, which includes his dishonestly hopeful briefings. The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News. Therefore, all those Trump supporters, who want to claim that condemning Trump for how he handles COVID-19 in his press briefings is based upon liberal bias, should pay attention to the Wall Street Journal's condemnation of Trump's handling of COVID-19, including his handling of those press briefings.
A slight rise in Trump's traditionally low poll numbers doesn't change the fact that his press briefings are unworthy of airtime and serve not as informative but as his substitute for those campaign rallies he can't have due to the COVID-19 quarantine.
John Butler, Sebastian
The 300-word limit does not allow me to express the disgust I felt after reading Ann Coulter's April 9 column. She implies that old people are expendable, and that Chinese people are villains because of the diet they eat, and the United States would be much better if they didn't exist. She also implies that the United States has overreacted (she uses the word panic) to the pandemic that is sweeping our nation.
In a single column, she has offended the elderly, vilified the Chinese, and insulted not only those who are staying home, but more importantly those on the front lines who are bravely fighting this battle. Her attitude toward the Chinese, actually the entire Asian race, is reminiscent of Hitler's views toward the Jews in Nazi Germany.
She calls herself a conservative social and political commentator, which insults anyone who identifies as a conservative. Coulter's views are definitely not conservative. They can best be described as ultra-radical, as well as disgusting and dangerous. Her facts and statistics are basically correct, but the inferences and implications she tries to lead her readers towards are nothing short of diabolical.
Barbara E. King, Port St. Lucie
Welcome to my sequestered tired world. All of us are cocooned in our own private reality enjoying a phenomenal world we've created. This can't be confinement. Prison doesn't have these sweet rewards: movies, books galore, the internet (which opens up the world infinitesimally). We can create our own schedule, structure, community and, in fact, reality.
Perhaps we can pare ourselves to our essentials at the end of the day. Fewer things, loftier values and caring family and friends. Virtual isolation and mindlessness could lead to mindfulness.
Judith C. Kayloe, Port St. Lucie
One reason for rapid spread of COVID-19 is China's neocolonialism throughout the world. Chinese nationals are traveling to and from various African nations, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Venezuela, and the Caribbean. Residents there also travel to China and back.
In 2009, my wife and I were on the island of Carriacou, governed by Grenada and 20 miles north. The Chinese government built and paid for a new soccer stadium for the locals and we attended the celebration and dedication. In Grenada we noticed that China had donated new computers to the local bank. Don't imagine China does this out of the goodness of their heart. It's their overseas development program. As a communist nation, its spending records are a state secret.
We were in Venezuela when dictator Hugo Chavez nationalized a Hilton Inn in Caracas and later another Hilton Inn on Margarita Island. Chavez supposedly detected some slight while attending a function in Margarita, and taking the hotel was his revenge. Chavez also changed daylight savings time by 30 minutes instead of an hour just because he could! This really messed up travelers from other areas. It's typical of how communist dictators run their countries.
Venezuela has changed immensely and we would not go there today. Venezuela's current dictator, Nicolas Maduro, has continued the downward spiral Chavez started. Socialists in the U.S. would do well to follow the inflation rate of Venezuela. In 2018, Venezuela's inflation rate was somewhere above 500,000 percent. In 2020 the inflation rate is zero because the Peso has no value. Zoo animals, turtles, pink flamingoes, dolphins, and other wildlife are disappearing as starving Venezuelans eat whatever they can steal or catch.
This is the eventual result of socialism/communism if not propped up by another nation. Do not let it happen here.
Roland OBrien, Fort Pierce
Wearing a mask not only protects you from being infected by other people but, just as important, it protects other people from being infected by you.
Love thy neighbor. Wear a damn mask.
Mike Montgomery, Port St. Lucie
Read or Share this story: https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/2020/04/16/letters-editor-april-16-2020/2992996001/
Read the rest here:
Letters to the Editor: April 16, 2020 - TCPalm
- Cornell Republicans Endorse Trump, Breaking With 2016 Position - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - October 17th, 2020
- Amy Coney Barrett Hearing & Cory Booker: Democrat Misleads on Abortion and Roe v. Wade - National Review - October 17th, 2020
- Fact vs. opinion in the case of Kyle Rittenhouse: Part 2 - The Courier-Express - October 2nd, 2020
- Conservative Pundit Slams Donald Trump, Corrupt System Over Tax Returns - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Who Won The Debate? Liberal, Conservative Pundits Give Their Breakdown Of Trump vs. Biden - International Business Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Trump Planning Massive ICE Raids Before Election To Rile His Base - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - October 2nd, 2020
- Cuomo Threat Against Trump Applies to All Who Support President's Agenda - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - September 14th, 2020
- With a hand from Trump, the right makes Rittenhouse a cause clbre - POLITICO - September 8th, 2020
- Trump's Contempt for the Sick and Disabled Is Written All Over His Covid-19 Response - City Watch - September 8th, 2020
- The Readers' Forum: Tuesday letters | Letters To The Editor | journalnow.com - Winston-Salem Journal - September 8th, 2020
- One of Trump's biggest detractors is as conservative as they come - Public Opinion - September 8th, 2020
- There are warning signs that America is in the early stages of insurgency. - Slate - September 8th, 2020
- "A Movement of Women" takes a critical look at conservative women in the century since the 19th amendment was ratified - Art Critique - August 20th, 2020
- Why do Liberals Shut down Free Speech and Conservatives Don't? - The Times of Israel - August 20th, 2020
- Biden is like a house you buy 'as is.' I did, and it's the best investment I ever made. - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020
- A New Gallery Show Scrutinizes the Legacies of Anti-Feminist Women, From Ayn Rand to Kellyanne Conway - artnet News - August 14th, 2020
- Kamala Harris is Asian and Black. That shouldn't be confusing in 2020 but it is to some. - NBC News - August 14th, 2020
- Editorial: CMU should be able to handle a Richard Grenell - TribLIVE - June 25th, 2020
- 'Mrs. America' Showrunner Dahvi Waller On Viewing American History as a Canadian, Showing the Birth of Intersectional Feminism - Awards Daily - June 25th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Yale University has to go! | Opinion | havasunews.com - Today's News-Herald - June 23rd, 2020
- 'This is insanity!': Conservatives slam removal of Theodore Roosevelt's statue from Museum of Natural History - MEAWW - June 23rd, 2020
- Five Political Films at the 2020 AFI Docs Festival - Splice Today - June 23rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Savannah Morning News - June 6th, 2020
- #WheresTrump: Trump, the loudest man in America cant find his voice - Vox.com - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Perfectly Mocks Trump's Absence of Leadership in This Time of Crisis With Savage Tweet for the Ages - Second Nexus - June 3rd, 2020
- "Law and Order" President in Hiding as D.C. Burns - TheStreet - June 3rd, 2020
- Conflicting Narratives & the Distortion of Donald Trump - Consortium News - June 3rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Dallas County News - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Turns on Disloyal Actual Retard Trump in ... - May 30th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Mocks Trump After Criticism Of Lincoln Project ... - May 30th, 2020
- AROUND TOWN: On being tested for COVID-19 at Kennesaw State University - MDJOnline.com - May 30th, 2020
- Honestly without Anonymity - Outside The Beltway - Mobile Edition - May 24th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Jokes That People Who Died From COVID Will Vote Blue - HillReporter.com - May 22nd, 2020
- CIVIQ: Creative Resiliency During COVID-19 - The Chattanoogan - May 18th, 2020
- How chatter and conservative anger upended a White House staffing search - POLITICO - May 18th, 2020
- Kellyanne and George Conway's Weird, Fascinating, and Maybe Perfectly Healthy Marriage: Charted - Washingtonian - May 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a neocon lab - Today's News-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a NEOCON lab - MDJOnline.com - May 9th, 2020
- GoFundMe Starts After Stores Security Guard Is Shot And Killed Over A Face Mask - News One - May 9th, 2020
- Humor: Davis College Republicans upset they can't host controversial speaker this year - The Aggie - May 9th, 2020
- Katie Couric on How She Spared Ann Curry From an Interview with 'Provocateur' Ann Coulter - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 2nd, 2020
- The battle in the White House on immigration | Opinion - Hindustan Times - April 24th, 2020
- Jeff Sessions' Immigration Moratorium Should Have Trump's Backing - The Schpiel - April 21st, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Liberalism, like the Wuhan virus, will never die - MDJOnline.com - April 18th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Why do we have to deal with this virus at all? - MDJOnline.com - April 14th, 2020
- Review: 'Final Draft: The Collected Work of David Carr,' edited by Jill Rooney Carr - Minneapolis Star Tribune - April 14th, 2020
- Jared Kushner and Ivanka mocked as 'Javanka' for oversized roles in Trump regime's response to coronavirus - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Wendy Bell, America's Worst White Woman, Is Back (and Wants to Kill Your Grandparents) - The Root - April 14th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The bill for globalism has arrived - MDJOnline.com - April 3rd, 2020
- The Quarantinis Are Flowing and the Store Is Out of Milk Bones - The New York Times - April 1st, 2020
- Ann Coulter: How do we flatten the curve on panic? - Today's News-Herald - April 1st, 2020
- Trump Is Willing to Risk Hundreds of Thousands of Lives - Washington Monthly - March 27th, 2020
- Bill Gates on CNN: returning to normal life in April is not realistic - Boing Boing - March 27th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: What globalism got us: Cheap TVs, expensive flu - Today's News-Herald - March 23rd, 2020
- Rick Wilson is further damaging what's left of CNN's and MSNBC's credibility - Washington Examiner - March 23rd, 2020
- OAN correspondent goes full Q in the briefing room tells Trump the media has teamed up with foreign state propaganda - AlterNet - March 23rd, 2020
- We Must Isolate The Vulnerable, Gain Herd Immunity, And Put America Back To Work - Townhall - March 23rd, 2020
- Will the handshake outlast coronavirus? - Spectator.co.uk - March 18th, 2020
- Yes, Coronavirus Is Worse Than the Flu - National Review - March 12th, 2020
- Tomi Lahren 'Far More Concerned With Stepping On A Used Heroin Needle' In CA Than Getting Coronavirus - NewsHounds - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Biden's selection will be good news for Trump - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter may have just given the American people the best reason to vote for Elizabeth Warren yet - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2020
- 10 Films That Predicted The Trump Presidency - WhatCulture - February 28th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Harpooning the toxic whale | Opinion - MDJOnline.com - February 28th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Tells True Story of Being Banned from Fox News - February 22nd, 2020
- ANN COULTER:The Boy Scouts have long been on the left's hate list - MDJOnline.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Letter: Anyone as tired of this as me? | Letters to the Editor - Arizona Daily Star - February 22nd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Honey, We Molested the Kids! - Breitbart - February 22nd, 2020
- The Five Best Things to Do in South Florida This Weekend - New Times Broward-Palm Beach - February 22nd, 2020
- Mick Mulvaney Says America Is Desperate For More Immigrants - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: How our politicians talk to each other matters - UI The Daily Iowan - February 17th, 2020
- Hope Hicks Is Back as a 'Senior Counselor' to President Trump - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- One of Joe Rogan's Latest Guests Really Rubbed Some Fans the Wrong Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Torches Epsteins Lawyer Ken Starr During Trump Trial Presentation: His Strategy is to Torture the Senate - Mediaite - January 29th, 2020
- Trump Targets a New Group of Immigrants - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2020
- Trump the transgressor: the psychological appeal of leaders who break the rules - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2020
- Keeping America More or Less The Same - The Arch Conservative - January 29th, 2020
- Gilpin To Play Ann Coulter In "Impeachment" - Dark Horizons - January 25th, 2020
- 'Punk'd' to be revived with Chance the Rapper as new host - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020