The United States has for days been engulfed in protests and violence, in large cities and even small towns across the country, following the killing of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In response, the president of the United States tweeted.
He tweeted a legally questionable declaration that hed designate antifa a terrorist organization, tweeted about his polling, tweeted simply FAKE NEWS and LAW AND ORDER, and tweeted the summation of an episode of Fox & Friends. He tweeted about the media and the vicious dogs of the Secret Service, and he tweeted advice at state governors and city mayors. He also shared a QAnon conspiracy theorists tweet, but later deleted it. After speaking about Floyds killing following a NASA launch on Saturday, Trump spent the rest of the weekend at the White House, speaking to the nation only on a platform hed threatened to shut down just days earlier and largely in the manner of a person observing his own presidency from afar.
People on both sides of the aisle noticed Trumps absence from the national stage, including many on the right who consider themselves among his biggest allies. They havent specified an exact course of action but want Trump to take a far more prominent role in calming tensions.
But Trumps press secretary told reporters on Monday, A national Oval Office address is not going to stop Antifa. And while some outlets report that the president is interested in doing a listening tour with law enforcement and pastors and community leaders, there are no firm plans.
Back in 2016, during his nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Trump decried violence aimed at police officers and then said, I have a message to every last person threatening the peace on our streets and the safety of our police: when I take the oath of office next year, I will restore law and order our country.
Four years later, Trump sits in the midst of a crisis of law and a breakdown of order as a result. And it turns out, he alone cant fix it.
Conservative writer Rod Dreher at the American Conservative wrote this past weekend that Trump and the political class were completely inept at handling the compounding crises of unrest and a pandemic, saying Trump is as useless in this crisis as teats on a boar:
The fact is, we have a massive national crisis underway, a crisis on top of two other crises pandemic and economic collapse and we are led by a buffoon who does nothing but sit on his backside and tweet. Its infuriating!
The pro-Trump meme creator Carpe Donktum who attended the White Houses summit on social media last July tweeted that he would also like to see Trump speak publicly, to ease public concern and plot a course to peace.
Other right-leaning observers online have agreed. Caleb Hull, a conservative videographer who works with political campaigns and influencers, said on Twitter that Trump should spend less time tweeting and more time taking decisive action.
And Ann Coulter, once one of Trumps biggest cheerleaders before breaking with him over his perceived softness on immigration, tweeted that he was likely spending his time delving deeper into conspiracy theories about an MSNBC host.
But in his piece, Dreher made the point that perhaps many of us are thinking: Does anyone really want Donald Trump the real person, not the idea of Donald Trump often constructed in the imaginations of the media always ready for him to pivot to opine on current events?
And you know, we should probably count our blessings. If he went on TV to address the nation, Trump would probably make things worse. There he sits in the White House, impotent, an angry old man who doesnt know what to do, and who, being utterly despised by half the country but not feared! cannot possibly gain control of the situation.
When I emailed Dreher and asked what he wanted Trump to do, he said that while he wanted Trump to issue clear, unambiguous statements that civil disorder will not be tolerated and do everything in his power to show that he is taking the moment seriously, Trump being Trump, its hard to know what he could possibly do that wouldnt make things worse.
As my colleague Ezra Klein noted, When we elected Donald Trump, we elected a political arsonist. The point of Trump, the purpose of Trump, was never to ease tensions or unite a nation (one that, arguably, has always been divided, particularly over matters of race). More often, he has held up a mirror to national divisions while using them for his own political purposes.
Donald Trump is a blunt instrument aimed like a cudgel at institutions political and cultural, domestic and foreign that some of his voters believed ignored millions of Americans at best and hurt them at worst. Trump was made to threaten social media platforms that boosted his candidacy with regulations and potential closure. He was made to scream at cable news networks during a time of relative peace. He was not made to bring a nation reeling from death and disease back from the brink.
In response to a request for comment from the New York Times about what he planned to do to address the nation over the weekend, Trump said, Im going to win the election easily. The economy is going to start to get good and then great, better than ever before.
Trump wasnt elected for this moment of crisis. Its no wonder, then, that he has no idea how to respond to it. As Dreher told me, Some critics have said all along that Trump only wanted to be president so he could make sure all eyes were on him constantly. Now that has been proven true.
Support Voxs explanatory journalism
Every day at Vox, we aim to answer your most important questions and provide you, and our audience around the world, with information that has the power to save lives. Our mission has never been more vital than it is in this moment: to empower you through understanding. Voxs work is reaching more people than ever, but our distinctive brand of explanatory journalism takes resources particularly during a pandemic and an economic downturn. Your financial contribution will not constitute a donation, but it will enable our staff to continue to offer free articles, videos, and podcasts at the quality and volume that this moment requires. Please consider making a contribution to Vox today.
Here is the original post:
#WheresTrump: Trump, the loudest man in America cant find his voice - Vox.com
- Editorial: CMU should be able to handle a Richard Grenell - TribLIVE - June 25th, 2020
- 'Mrs. America' Showrunner Dahvi Waller On Viewing American History as a Canadian, Showing the Birth of Intersectional Feminism - Awards Daily - June 25th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Yale University has to go! | Opinion | havasunews.com - Today's News-Herald - June 23rd, 2020
- 'This is insanity!': Conservatives slam removal of Theodore Roosevelt's statue from Museum of Natural History - MEAWW - June 23rd, 2020
- Five Political Films at the 2020 AFI Docs Festival - Splice Today - June 23rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Savannah Morning News - June 6th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Perfectly Mocks Trump's Absence of Leadership in This Time of Crisis With Savage Tweet for the Ages - Second Nexus - June 3rd, 2020
- "Law and Order" President in Hiding as D.C. Burns - TheStreet - June 3rd, 2020
- Conflicting Narratives & the Distortion of Donald Trump - Consortium News - June 3rd, 2020
- What is antifa and what does the movement want? - Dallas County News - June 3rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Turns on Disloyal Actual Retard Trump in ... - May 30th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Mocks Trump After Criticism Of Lincoln Project ... - May 30th, 2020
- AROUND TOWN: On being tested for COVID-19 at Kennesaw State University - MDJOnline.com - May 30th, 2020
- Honestly without Anonymity - Outside The Beltway - Mobile Edition - May 24th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Jokes That People Who Died From COVID Will Vote Blue - HillReporter.com - May 22nd, 2020
- CIVIQ: Creative Resiliency During COVID-19 - The Chattanoogan - May 18th, 2020
- How chatter and conservative anger upended a White House staffing search - POLITICO - May 18th, 2020
- Kellyanne and George Conway's Weird, Fascinating, and Maybe Perfectly Healthy Marriage: Charted - Washingtonian - May 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a neocon lab - Today's News-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany the 'acceptable' face of Trumpism who infuriates liberals - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Lab theory of Wuhan virus cooked up in a NEOCON lab - MDJOnline.com - May 9th, 2020
- GoFundMe Starts After Stores Security Guard Is Shot And Killed Over A Face Mask - News One - May 9th, 2020
- Humor: Davis College Republicans upset they can't host controversial speaker this year - The Aggie - May 9th, 2020
- Katie Couric on How She Spared Ann Curry From an Interview with 'Provocateur' Ann Coulter - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 2nd, 2020
- The battle in the White House on immigration | Opinion - Hindustan Times - April 24th, 2020
- Jeff Sessions' Immigration Moratorium Should Have Trump's Backing - The Schpiel - April 21st, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Liberalism, like the Wuhan virus, will never die - MDJOnline.com - April 18th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: April 16, 2020 - TCPalm - April 16th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Why do we have to deal with this virus at all? - MDJOnline.com - April 14th, 2020
- Review: 'Final Draft: The Collected Work of David Carr,' edited by Jill Rooney Carr - Minneapolis Star Tribune - April 14th, 2020
- Jared Kushner and Ivanka mocked as 'Javanka' for oversized roles in Trump regime's response to coronavirus - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Wendy Bell, America's Worst White Woman, Is Back (and Wants to Kill Your Grandparents) - The Root - April 14th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The bill for globalism has arrived - MDJOnline.com - April 3rd, 2020
- The Quarantinis Are Flowing and the Store Is Out of Milk Bones - The New York Times - April 1st, 2020
- Ann Coulter: How do we flatten the curve on panic? - Today's News-Herald - April 1st, 2020
- Trump Is Willing to Risk Hundreds of Thousands of Lives - Washington Monthly - March 27th, 2020
- Bill Gates on CNN: returning to normal life in April is not realistic - Boing Boing - March 27th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: What globalism got us: Cheap TVs, expensive flu - Today's News-Herald - March 23rd, 2020
- Rick Wilson is further damaging what's left of CNN's and MSNBC's credibility - Washington Examiner - March 23rd, 2020
- OAN correspondent goes full Q in the briefing room tells Trump the media has teamed up with foreign state propaganda - AlterNet - March 23rd, 2020
- We Must Isolate The Vulnerable, Gain Herd Immunity, And Put America Back To Work - Townhall - March 23rd, 2020
- Will the handshake outlast coronavirus? - Spectator.co.uk - March 18th, 2020
- Yes, Coronavirus Is Worse Than the Flu - National Review - March 12th, 2020
- Tomi Lahren 'Far More Concerned With Stepping On A Used Heroin Needle' In CA Than Getting Coronavirus - NewsHounds - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Biden's selection will be good news for Trump - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - March 12th, 2020
- Ann Coulter may have just given the American people the best reason to vote for Elizabeth Warren yet - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2020
- 10 Films That Predicted The Trump Presidency - WhatCulture - February 28th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: Harpooning the toxic whale | Opinion - MDJOnline.com - February 28th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Tells True Story of Being Banned from Fox News - February 22nd, 2020
- ANN COULTER:The Boy Scouts have long been on the left's hate list - MDJOnline.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Letter: Anyone as tired of this as me? | Letters to the Editor - Arizona Daily Star - February 22nd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: Honey, We Molested the Kids! - Breitbart - February 22nd, 2020
- The Five Best Things to Do in South Florida This Weekend - New Times Broward-Palm Beach - February 22nd, 2020
- Mick Mulvaney Says America Is Desperate For More Immigrants - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - February 22nd, 2020
- Opinion: How our politicians talk to each other matters - UI The Daily Iowan - February 17th, 2020
- Hope Hicks Is Back as a 'Senior Counselor' to President Trump - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- One of Joe Rogan's Latest Guests Really Rubbed Some Fans the Wrong Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 15th, 2020
- Ann Coulter Torches Epsteins Lawyer Ken Starr During Trump Trial Presentation: His Strategy is to Torture the Senate - Mediaite - January 29th, 2020
- Trump Targets a New Group of Immigrants - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2020
- Trump the transgressor: the psychological appeal of leaders who break the rules - The Conversation UK - January 29th, 2020
- Keeping America More or Less The Same - The Arch Conservative - January 29th, 2020
- Gilpin To Play Ann Coulter In "Impeachment" - Dark Horizons - January 25th, 2020
- 'Punk'd' to be revived with Chance the Rapper as new host - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020
- Meghan McCain On The View Is The Epitome Of White Women Tears - BuzzFeed News - January 25th, 2020
- ANN COULTER: The Clinton case: Now that was an impeachment - Goshen News - January 23rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter: IMPEACHMENT WEEKIts OK to Be Bored; Not OK to Be White - Breitbart - January 23rd, 2020
- Opinion: If war with Iran actually occurs, the U.S. media will be complicit - The Reveille, LSU's student newspaper - January 23rd, 2020
- Trump Is DESPERATE To Build Border Wall Before 2020 Election - The Ring of Fire Network - The Ring of Fire Network - January 23rd, 2020
- Ann Coulter Trolls Trump With '7 Minute' Border Wall Race - January 16th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: CNN and FOX NEWS report on the rise of Hitler - Marshall News Messenger - January 16th, 2020
- Catastrophic fires and the far-right's denialism - Green Left Weekly - January 16th, 2020
- 'Iranians are no threat to Americans': Ann Coulter blasts Trump focus on Iran instead of 'this hemisphere' - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- Ann Coulter: CNN and Fox News report on the rise of Hitler - Cleburne Times-Review - January 14th, 2020
- There would be no Trump cult without Fox News' propaganda - Los Angeles Times - January 14th, 2020
- 10 years of Campus Reform: The most outrageous stories we've covered so far - Campus Reform - January 14th, 2020
- Obama and Trump eras get smart, substantive (and long) look on 'Frontline' - MinnPost - January 14th, 2020
- The Middle East mess has nothing to do with Donald Trump - The Spectator USA - January 14th, 2020
- Rise of the high-status bully: PBSs Americas Great Divide: From Obama to Trump - The Globe and Mail - January 14th, 2020
- If Kris Kobach Wants To Lose Another Seat For The GOP, Who Are We To Argue? - Wonkette - January 14th, 2020
- 'Could take up to 7 minutes': Ann Coulter mocks Trump with suggested 'Border Wall 4K' - Washington Examiner - January 10th, 2020