In 1967, a woman then known as Svetlana Alliuyeva arrived by plane in New York. Moments after landing, she held a press conference during which she renounced her native Soviet Russia, describing it as profoundly corrupt. She burned her Soviet passport and called her fatherwho had died in Russia a decade earliera moral and spiritual monster.
Her father was Joseph Stalin, the former dictator of the USSR.
In case you werent around at the time, Svetlanas defection to the U.S. was a very huge deal. Having changed her name after remarrying, Lana Peters became a U.S. citizen in 1978. She made millions from her autobiographysomething that was categorically unachievable in her communist homeland.
In 1991, she got to see the fall of the government her father once had ultimate authority over. Almost exactly 20 years later, Lana Peters passed away in Wisconsin.
Although Lanas story is a lot more complicated than I make it out to be, I think its one that many Americans should remind themselves of and take to heart. She fled her fathers communist regime to seek a better life, and she found it in the U.S.
I share this with you now because here we are nearly 30 years out from the collapse of the USSR, and the lessons of the past appear not to be resonating with some young Americans.
Need proof? For four years now, the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundationa Washington, D.C.-based nonprofithas been polling Americans on their attitudes toward communism and socialism. What the group found in itsmost recent pollis that, between 2018 and 2019, millennials favorability of communism increased a whopping 36 percent.
U.S. Global Investors
Whats more, almost three quarters of millennialsthose aged 23 to 38said they were likely to vote for a socialist-minded politician in upcoming elections. Half of those surveyed said they were somewhat likely, while as much as 20 percent said they were extremely likely to support a socialist candidate in the mold of Vermont senator Bernie Sanders or New York congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC).
We should all be alarmed about this.
It means, number one, that young Americans dont feel as if capitalism is working in their favor. And number two, it means were not doing enough as a society to educate our citizens of the slippery slope that is collectivist thinking, which includes communism and socialism.
In addition, there are some who try to explain away the USSRs failure (or Cubas or Venezuelas) by laying the blame not at the altar of communism, where it belongs, but at the feet of corrupt leaderssuch as Stalin, Fidel Castro, Nicolas Maduro and others. Its not real socialism, some like to say when confronted with the ugly reality of Venezuelas failed economy.
But such thinking is a fallacy, says famed psychologist and political commentator Jordan Peterson.
Its the most arrogant possible statement anyone could ever make, he commentedduring a 2017 lecture.People who believe they have higher moral standards than Stalin, and who think they would have done a better job than him in his position, simply dont understand how the system operates, according to Dr. Peterson.
And even if they did know the system backwards and forwards, there would have been someone else right behind you waiting to shoot you the first time you actually tried to do anything goodwhich is precisely what Stalin did.
So even if you do happen to be that avatar of moral purity that you claim implicitly, Dr. Peterson said, the probability that you could get to act out your goodness in relationship to those possessed by your ideology is zero.
Im optimistic that the U.S. will stand as a beacon of freedom and opportunity in the 2020s and beyond, but with more and more younger Americans supporting socialism over capitalism, I believe it prudent to proceed with caution. That means making sure youre following the10 Percent Golden Rule,which states that you should have 10 percent of your portfolio in goldsplit between physical gold such as coins and jewelry, and gold mining stocks and ETFs.
Ive always believed that if you love your family, and if you seek to protect their wealth against potentially disastrous government policies, its wise to hold gold.
U.S. Global Investors
The yellow metal had an excellent year, closing out 2019 on solid footing for 2020. While the per-ounce price of gold bullion increased more than 15 percentits best year since 2010gold mining stocks returned an impressive 40 percent for the year. That was enough to beat the S&P 500, which was up about 29 percent in 2019.
For full disclosures pertaining to this post click here.
- Understanding the Viciousness of Jordan Peterson's Critics - Merion West - March 27th, 2020
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Has Mastered The Art Of Waist-Up Dressing - British Vogue - March 27th, 2020
- Five hours to change your life with Jordan Peterson - Patheos - March 27th, 2020
- If people stand up in the face of the things they are afraid of, they get stronger - The Indian Express - March 27th, 2020
- Prof still fighting school's demand to call he a 'she' - OneNewsNow - March 18th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 18th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - March 18th, 2020
- What Happened to Jordan Peterson? - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 15th, 2020
- Christopher Booker: Groupthink review an uncritical history of political correctness - The Arts Desk - March 15th, 2020
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: Jordan B ... - March 9th, 2020
- The best recent poetry review roundup - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Checks into Rehab Following Wife's Cancer ... - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Wife: The Truth About Tammy Peterson - Who - February 28th, 2020
- Podcast giant Joe Rogan coming to Tampas Amalie Arena - Tampa Bay Times - February 28th, 2020
- Is Wall Street on the Brink of Disaster? - Stock Investor - February 28th, 2020
- The Travesty of Comparing Jordan Peterson to Hitler - Merion West - February 25th, 2020
- What Douglas Murray's Book Does Well (And Where It Falters) - Merion West - February 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: the One Who Helped Me When I Most Needed It - Merion West - February 20th, 2020
- 'He could've killed somebody': Victim in Boise 11-car hit-and-run crash reacts to wild video - KTVB.com - February 20th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 20th, 2020
- Feb. 18: The story of Bombardier could have been easily avoided. Readers react to Bombardiers fortunes, facial recognition, Jordan Peterson, plus... - February 20th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Ex-benzodiazepine user relating to Peterson says withdrawal 'hell' needs awareness - The Chronicle Journal - February 20th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson enters rehab after wife's cancer diagnosis - February 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia - New York Post - February 8th, 2020
- He nearly died several times: Controversial academic Jordan Peterson seeks to recover from addiction, daughter says - Toronto Star - February 8th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 8th, 2020
- Is bragging about sex to other women 'emotional cheating'? - Stuff.co.nz - February 6th, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 2nd, 2020
- Bernie Broke My Heart When He Embraced Rogan's Endorsement - The Nation - February 2nd, 2020
- How Fox News Weaponizes Art + Two Other Illuminating Pieces of Criticism From Around the Web - artnet News - February 2nd, 2020
- The Masculinity Crisis - Unraveling the Threads - The Good Men Project - February 2nd, 2020
- Red flags: The enemies of bias - Asheboro Courier Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- It's Good That Joe Rogan Endorsed Bernie. Now We Have to Organize. - Jacobin magazine - January 26th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement: The Stain On Bernie Sanders That Some Voters Think Makes Him More Attractive - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- Dame Sarah Connolly: Brexit will inhibit the lives of musicians - Palatinate - January 26th, 2020
- College professors donate to Democrats over Republicans by ratio of 95-to-1: Study - Washington Examiner - January 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: Descensus ad inferos - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- Anti-Jordan Peterson professor accused of abuse of power by former colleague, students - The Post Millennial - January 13th, 2020
- 'No Safe Spaces' ignores the attacks on free speech from the right - INSIDER - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson in Rehab After 'Horrific' Withdrawal - January 10th, 2020
- Writing about Jordan Peterson for the First Time - Merion West - January 10th, 2020
- Make 2020 the year of your programming side hustle - Coffee Talk: Java, News, Stories and Opinions - TheServerSide.com - January 8th, 2020
- The End of Pseudo-Liberalism | John Waters - First Things - January 6th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Destroys Q&A | 25 February 2019 - January 4th, 2020
- New at Disney World and Disneyland in 2020: Avengers Campus, Epcot updates - USA TODAY - January 4th, 2020
- Did 2019 mark a decline in the power of the transgender mob? - Lifesite - January 4th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - January 1st, 2020
- What Jordan Peterson Gets Right And Wrong About Sacrifice ... - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan B. Peterson - January 1st, 2020
- The Rise of Jordan Peterson (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes - January 1st, 2020
- Understand Myself - What You Need to Know - January 1st, 2020
- TCW's Book of the Year: Douglas Murray's The Madness of Crowds - The Conservative Woman - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan Peterson finds an unlikely readership in China, even after censors stripped away entire sections of his book - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2019
- The race to replace Andrew Scheer is turning into a dog and pony show - NOW Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- #YearInReview: Here's the Ten Most-Read NewsBusters Blogs of 2019 - NewsBusters - December 31st, 2019
- Health and wellness fads 2019: What were the trends and what's to come in 2020? - Stuff.co.nz - December 31st, 2019
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - December 21st, 2019
- Jordan Peterson | Podcast - December 21st, 2019
- They is Merriam-Websters Word of the Year. Heres why. - Vox.com - December 18th, 2019
- Yegor Zhukov Wants to Be Russia's President One Day - The Moscow Times - December 13th, 2019
- As the Year Closes: Appreciating One's Political Opponents - Merion West - December 13th, 2019
- If You Truly Believed in Gd, What Would You Be Like? - Ricochet.com - December 13th, 2019
- Should Atheists Lament the Decline of Christianity? - Patheos - December 13th, 2019
- Top five films: Best of the big screen - Sydney Morning Herald - December 13th, 2019
- Sad Wingnut Explains Slavery Saved Souls - Wonkette - December 13th, 2019
- Christmas-themed feminist slasher movie shouldn't work, but it does - The Age - December 13th, 2019
- Michelle Malkin: 'I Am an Extremist When It Comes to Telling the Truth' - CNSNews.com - December 13th, 2019