You have 10 free articles left today, enjoy reading.
On January 7th, The Post Millennial reported that a Professor at the University of Calgary tweeted about failing students if they cited Jordan Peterson. Ted McCoy, chair of the Law and Society program at the UoC, apologized shortly after his tweet went viral, asserting that the flippant comment was a joke and insisting that he did take seriously students right to free expression.
In wake of the social media fallout, sources from within the University of Calgary have come forward to The Post Millennial to assert that McCoys comments were anything but a joke. The identities of those who spoke out are being protected for their safety due to their proximity to McCoy.
He absolutely was not kidding. He absolutely does penalize students for holding divergent views. Said one source, a former professor at the University of Calgary and current professor at another institution.
He literally tells students to not read Quillette, the source revealed, drawing from discussions had with McCoys students, Hes walked into class and expressed how disappointed he was in the amount of conservative ideas being expressed.
The source noted that students often came to her with complaints about McCoys in-class political proselytizing, fearing poor grades because of their ideological differences.
Students have just learned to shut-up and parrot whatever he wants to hear. The source revealed that McCoy was the only professor teaching a mandatory capstone exit course required for some students successful degree completion in the Law and Society program.
Being the coordinator for the Law and Society program, McCoy is also responsible for hiring new faculty members. Noting that a great deal of faculty has abruptly ceased teaching in the program, the source claimed that all of the new hires have been people who share [McCoys] ideological perspective and have no qualifications whatsoever to teach Law and Society.
A student who took McCoys class corroborated the faculty members comments.
I have actually told other students to not enroll in the Law and Society program because of McCoy, he said, noting a number of distressing interactions with his former Professor.
The first day of class, within the first fifteen minutes, he explicitly states the goal of this course is to radicalize you. Before you leave University, I want to radicalize you. The former student, who identifies as left-wing politically, says McCoy immediately introduced the class to a bizarre coding system by which participation was noted for grades.
[McCoy told students] that he will make a mark beside your name when you contribute to the class discussion. He told us he has a symbol system for if a student made an insightful comment, all the way up to what you said was batshit crazy. The former student says the class was immediately politicized, with students fearing to vocalize their opinions if it contradicted McCoys ideological perspective.
The former student also revealed that McCoy assigned his own writings as well as books written by his Ph.D. supervisor as mandatory readings for the class, leaving students fearful to express criticism. When one student did, noting the lack of objectivity in one of the readings, McCoy berated him.
Recalling another class, the former student says that McCoy blasted Jordan Peterson to the class.
He came into class with his head in his hands and looked upset. He was shaking his head and sighing. When a student asked what was bothering the Professor, McCoy went on to complain about Jordan Peterson. He said he had been reading a lot of Jordan Peterson, and said he cannot believe how Peterson thinks he knows everything.
After a student defended Peterson, McCoy reportedly went on a tangent.
He said Peterson is basically espousing hate speech and he ought to be deplatformed in the strongest sense. the former student said.
I was distressed that a Professor would take such an obvious political stance in his teaching, the former student said, going on to reveal he felt unsafe with McCoys control over his grade. Because of this students concerns about entering graduate school, he said he learned to stop challenging McCoy.
I basically kowtowed in my papers. I would just tell him what he wanted to hear. Going on to note that conservative students never spoke in class out of fear of angering McCoy.
Since graduating, the former student says his friends who have entered McCoys class have texted him for help navigating the Professors extreme ideology.
[McCoy] was unequivocally one of the worst professors Ive ever had, and it was because the class was more about politics than it was critical thinking.
On January 9th, McCoy tweeted and quickly deleted a post suggesting he had only apologized at the advice of administration.
The Post Millennial has reached out to Dr. Ted McCoy, the Law and Society program, and Sociology department head Dr. Fiona Nelson at the University of Calgary, but have not received a response by the time of publication.
- Jordan Peterson: the One Who Helped Me When I Most Needed It - Merion West - February 20th, 2020
- 'He could've killed somebody': Victim in Boise 11-car hit-and-run crash reacts to wild video - KTVB.com - February 20th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 20th, 2020
- Feb. 18: The story of Bombardier could have been easily avoided. Readers react to Bombardiers fortunes, facial recognition, Jordan Peterson, plus... - February 20th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Ex-benzodiazepine user relating to Peterson says withdrawal 'hell' needs awareness - The Chronicle Journal - February 20th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson enters rehab after wife's cancer diagnosis - February 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia - New York Post - February 8th, 2020
- He nearly died several times: Controversial academic Jordan Peterson seeks to recover from addiction, daughter says - Toronto Star - February 8th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 8th, 2020
- Is bragging about sex to other women 'emotional cheating'? - Stuff.co.nz - February 6th, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 2nd, 2020
- Bernie Broke My Heart When He Embraced Rogan's Endorsement - The Nation - February 2nd, 2020
- How Fox News Weaponizes Art + Two Other Illuminating Pieces of Criticism From Around the Web - artnet News - February 2nd, 2020
- The Masculinity Crisis - Unraveling the Threads - The Good Men Project - February 2nd, 2020
- Red flags: The enemies of bias - Asheboro Courier Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- It's Good That Joe Rogan Endorsed Bernie. Now We Have to Organize. - Jacobin magazine - January 26th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement: The Stain On Bernie Sanders That Some Voters Think Makes Him More Attractive - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- Dame Sarah Connolly: Brexit will inhibit the lives of musicians - Palatinate - January 26th, 2020
- College professors donate to Democrats over Republicans by ratio of 95-to-1: Study - Washington Examiner - January 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: Descensus ad inferos - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- 'No Safe Spaces' ignores the attacks on free speech from the right - INSIDER - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson in Rehab After 'Horrific' Withdrawal - January 10th, 2020
- Writing about Jordan Peterson for the First Time - Merion West - January 10th, 2020
- America Remains the Land of Opportunity. For Everything Else, Theres Gold. - Forbes - January 8th, 2020
- Make 2020 the year of your programming side hustle - Coffee Talk: Java, News, Stories and Opinions - TheServerSide.com - January 8th, 2020
- The End of Pseudo-Liberalism | John Waters - First Things - January 6th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Destroys Q&A | 25 February 2019 - January 4th, 2020
- New at Disney World and Disneyland in 2020: Avengers Campus, Epcot updates - USA TODAY - January 4th, 2020
- Did 2019 mark a decline in the power of the transgender mob? - Lifesite - January 4th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - January 1st, 2020
- What Jordan Peterson Gets Right And Wrong About Sacrifice ... - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan B. Peterson - January 1st, 2020
- The Rise of Jordan Peterson (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes - January 1st, 2020
- Understand Myself - What You Need to Know - January 1st, 2020
- TCW's Book of the Year: Douglas Murray's The Madness of Crowds - The Conservative Woman - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan Peterson finds an unlikely readership in China, even after censors stripped away entire sections of his book - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2019
- The race to replace Andrew Scheer is turning into a dog and pony show - NOW Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- #YearInReview: Here's the Ten Most-Read NewsBusters Blogs of 2019 - NewsBusters - December 31st, 2019
- Health and wellness fads 2019: What were the trends and what's to come in 2020? - Stuff.co.nz - December 31st, 2019
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - December 21st, 2019
- Jordan Peterson | Podcast - December 21st, 2019
- They is Merriam-Websters Word of the Year. Heres why. - Vox.com - December 18th, 2019
- Yegor Zhukov Wants to Be Russia's President One Day - The Moscow Times - December 13th, 2019
- As the Year Closes: Appreciating One's Political Opponents - Merion West - December 13th, 2019
- If You Truly Believed in Gd, What Would You Be Like? - Ricochet.com - December 13th, 2019
- Should Atheists Lament the Decline of Christianity? - Patheos - December 13th, 2019
- Top five films: Best of the big screen - Sydney Morning Herald - December 13th, 2019
- Sad Wingnut Explains Slavery Saved Souls - Wonkette - December 13th, 2019
- Christmas-themed feminist slasher movie shouldn't work, but it does - The Age - December 13th, 2019
- Michelle Malkin: 'I Am an Extremist When It Comes to Telling the Truth' - CNSNews.com - December 13th, 2019