You have 10 free articles left today, enjoy reading.
On January 7th, The Post Millennial reported that a Professor at the University of Calgary tweeted about failing students if they cited Jordan Peterson. Ted McCoy, chair of the Law and Society program at the UoC, apologized shortly after his tweet went viral, asserting that the flippant comment was a joke and insisting that he did take seriously students right to free expression.
In wake of the social media fallout, sources from within the University of Calgary have come forward to The Post Millennial to assert that McCoys comments were anything but a joke. The identities of those who spoke out are being protected for their safety due to their proximity to McCoy.
He absolutely was not kidding. He absolutely does penalize students for holding divergent views. Said one source, a former professor at the University of Calgary and current professor at another institution.
He literally tells students to not read Quillette, the source revealed, drawing from discussions had with McCoys students, Hes walked into class and expressed how disappointed he was in the amount of conservative ideas being expressed.
The source noted that students often came to her with complaints about McCoys in-class political proselytizing, fearing poor grades because of their ideological differences.
Students have just learned to shut-up and parrot whatever he wants to hear. The source revealed that McCoy was the only professor teaching a mandatory capstone exit course required for some students successful degree completion in the Law and Society program.
Being the coordinator for the Law and Society program, McCoy is also responsible for hiring new faculty members. Noting that a great deal of faculty has abruptly ceased teaching in the program, the source claimed that all of the new hires have been people who share [McCoys] ideological perspective and have no qualifications whatsoever to teach Law and Society.
A student who took McCoys class corroborated the faculty members comments.
I have actually told other students to not enroll in the Law and Society program because of McCoy, he said, noting a number of distressing interactions with his former Professor.
The first day of class, within the first fifteen minutes, he explicitly states the goal of this course is to radicalize you. Before you leave University, I want to radicalize you. The former student, who identifies as left-wing politically, says McCoy immediately introduced the class to a bizarre coding system by which participation was noted for grades.
[McCoy told students] that he will make a mark beside your name when you contribute to the class discussion. He told us he has a symbol system for if a student made an insightful comment, all the way up to what you said was batshit crazy. The former student says the class was immediately politicized, with students fearing to vocalize their opinions if it contradicted McCoys ideological perspective.
The former student also revealed that McCoy assigned his own writings as well as books written by his Ph.D. supervisor as mandatory readings for the class, leaving students fearful to express criticism. When one student did, noting the lack of objectivity in one of the readings, McCoy berated him.
Recalling another class, the former student says that McCoy blasted Jordan Peterson to the class.
He came into class with his head in his hands and looked upset. He was shaking his head and sighing. When a student asked what was bothering the Professor, McCoy went on to complain about Jordan Peterson. He said he had been reading a lot of Jordan Peterson, and said he cannot believe how Peterson thinks he knows everything.
After a student defended Peterson, McCoy reportedly went on a tangent.
He said Peterson is basically espousing hate speech and he ought to be deplatformed in the strongest sense. the former student said.
I was distressed that a Professor would take such an obvious political stance in his teaching, the former student said, going on to reveal he felt unsafe with McCoys control over his grade. Because of this students concerns about entering graduate school, he said he learned to stop challenging McCoy.
I basically kowtowed in my papers. I would just tell him what he wanted to hear. Going on to note that conservative students never spoke in class out of fear of angering McCoy.
Since graduating, the former student says his friends who have entered McCoys class have texted him for help navigating the Professors extreme ideology.
[McCoy] was unequivocally one of the worst professors Ive ever had, and it was because the class was more about politics than it was critical thinking.
On January 9th, McCoy tweeted and quickly deleted a post suggesting he had only apologized at the advice of administration.
The Post Millennial has reached out to Dr. Ted McCoy, the Law and Society program, and Sociology department head Dr. Fiona Nelson at the University of Calgary, but have not received a response by the time of publication.
- A beloved H.S. football coach and baseball scout steps off the field - NBC News - September 25th, 2020
- Don't leave the humanities to the cultural left - ABC News - September 25th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson saw this coming a while ago - Sarnia Observer - August 29th, 2020
- Teacher claims Joe Rogan threatens 'critical thinking.' In fact, the exact opposite is true. - The College Fix - August 22nd, 2020
- Clarifying My Comments on Lindsay, Pluckrose, and Boghossian - Merion West - August 22nd, 2020
- Teachers arent happy kids are getting red-pilled online - Reclaim The Net - August 22nd, 2020
- Confessions of a jaded NZ bookseller - The Spinoff - August 2nd, 2020
- Dont bank on Britains foppish, lazy elites to save us from deep fakery - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2020
- Will the real fascist please stand up? - Fallbrook / Bonsall Villlage News - July 31st, 2020
- Hess Jr. claims third win in a row at Eriez | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - July 31st, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 27th, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 27th, 2020
- MALCOLM: Fair coverage of the Conservative leadership is missing - Toronto Sun - July 27th, 2020
- 'Your inner voice will need to be your compass': Turners Falls High School says goodbye to Class of 2020 - The Recorder - July 27th, 2020
- Taibbi, Harper's and the Intellectual Dark Web - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - July 27th, 2020
- This Week in Podcasts: feat. Big Shiny Takes, Oats for Breakfast and more | Ricochet - Ricochet Media - July 5th, 2020
- TCW's top ten blogs of the week - The Conservative Woman - July 5th, 2020
- Nietzsche meets Netflix: the killer philosophy behind The Sinner - The Telegraph - July 2nd, 2020
- Bishop Robert Barron on Internet ministry, Black Lives Matter and the art of dialogue - America Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- The fall of Cambridge University - TheArticle - June 30th, 2020
- Sorry, not sorry: How Muay Thai taught me to stop apologising for everything - The Spinoff - June 30th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: The activists are now stalking the hard scientists - National Post - June 24th, 2020
- Joe Rogan Is Asking For Heat With Latest Comments - TheThings - June 24th, 2020
- Alpha brains but beta minds: Tory culture is the main worry for true conservatives - The Conservative Woman - June 24th, 2020
- Amia Srinivasan He, She, One, They, Ho, Hus, Hum, Ita: How Should I Refer to You? LRB 2 July 2020 - London Review of Books - June 24th, 2020
- Clergy kneel to those who'd trample over them - The Conservative Woman - June 22nd, 2020
- Dave Rubin On Where Liberals And Conservatives Can Agree, And Can't - The Federalist - June 16th, 2020
- Five defensive players the Arizona Cardinals need to live up to expectations in 2020 - Revenge of the Birds - June 16th, 2020
- NFL stars deliver a message to the league: Admit you silenced us wrongly - Sporting News - June 6th, 2020
- On the Limits of Dave Rubins Cultural Politics - National Review - June 6th, 2020
- Jordan B. Peterson Health Update: Author Is Recovering ... - May 27th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson is back at work on his next book - May 27th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson on the Resurrection | Adrian Warnock - Patheos - May 27th, 2020
- Why Hungarys Viktor Orbn is the American rights favorite strongman - Vox.com - May 24th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson says 2020 Cardinals are, on paper, best team he has been on - Cards Wire - May 24th, 2020
- Graduation 2020: Westby Area High School - The Westby Times - May 24th, 2020
- Jonathan Kay: It takes a true artist to find new ways to shock the conscience. Kent Monkman has done that - National Post - May 24th, 2020
- The Irrelevance of the Intelligence Debate - Merion West - May 18th, 2020
- There are great stories about U.S. Open qualifiers; too bad we won't have any in 2020 - GolfDigest.com - May 18th, 2020
- Bob Holliday talks about the fun day when MJ and Buzz Peterson went golfing - WRALSportsFan.com - May 15th, 2020
- Mohamed and the Mountain | Annette Poizner | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - May 15th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 6th, 2020
- Former Vol head coach appears in ESPNs The Last Dance - Vols Wire - May 6th, 2020
- What if Michael Jordan had signed with Adidas? He very nearly did, and it haunts Gary Stokan to this day - WRALSportsFan.com - May 6th, 2020
- Why is it always the white NFL players who get a second chance? - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Another Piece on How Feminism Has Ruined Men - RushLimbaugh.com - May 6th, 2020
- Dave Rubin is out of ideas - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 6th, 2020
- Justin Amash could lead conservative reformation - Spring Hope Enterprise - May 2nd, 2020
- May Day! May Day! Is Government Out of Control? What It Means to Investors - Stock Investor - May 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and Carl Jung's Worldviews Have Been Greatly Oversimplified - Merion West - May 1st, 2020
- Dave Rubin Talks To Shapiro About Learning From Jordan Peterson On Tour - The Daily Wire - May 1st, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - May 1st, 2020
- Russell Brand And Ricky Gervais Are Just What Your Brain Needs - The Federalist - May 1st, 2020
- The Problem with Edmund Burke and Defenders of Tradition - Merion West - May 1st, 2020
- FreedomFest Urges People to 'Catch the Vision' in Las Vegas - Right Wing Watch - May 1st, 2020
- Seminal Words and the Pregnant Pause | Annette Poizner - The Times of Israel - April 22nd, 2020
- Too Hot to Handle on Netflix is undeniably Sexy in Quarantine - The TeCake - April 22nd, 2020
- What Skeptical Scholars Admit about the Resurrect... - ChristianityToday.com - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Brooks' New Book Hits the Mark - Merion West - April 13th, 2020
- How Joe Rogan and Eric Weinstein Sinned - Thrive Global - April 7th, 2020
- Understanding the Viciousness of Jordan Peterson's Critics - Merion West - March 27th, 2020
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Has Mastered The Art Of Waist-Up Dressing - British Vogue - March 27th, 2020
- Five hours to change your life with Jordan Peterson - Patheos - March 27th, 2020
- If people stand up in the face of the things they are afraid of, they get stronger - The Indian Express - March 27th, 2020
- Prof still fighting school's demand to call he a 'she' - OneNewsNow - March 18th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 18th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - March 18th, 2020
- What Happened to Jordan Peterson? - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 15th, 2020
- Christopher Booker: Groupthink review an uncritical history of political correctness - The Arts Desk - March 15th, 2020
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: Jordan B ... - March 9th, 2020
- The best recent poetry review roundup - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Checks into Rehab Following Wife's Cancer ... - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Wife: The Truth About Tammy Peterson - Who - February 28th, 2020
- Podcast giant Joe Rogan coming to Tampas Amalie Arena - Tampa Bay Times - February 28th, 2020
- Is Wall Street on the Brink of Disaster? - Stock Investor - February 28th, 2020
- The Travesty of Comparing Jordan Peterson to Hitler - Merion West - February 25th, 2020
- What Douglas Murray's Book Does Well (And Where It Falters) - Merion West - February 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: the One Who Helped Me When I Most Needed It - Merion West - February 20th, 2020
- 'He could've killed somebody': Victim in Boise 11-car hit-and-run crash reacts to wild video - KTVB.com - February 20th, 2020