Joe Rogan performs at the Ice House Comedy Club in 2017 in Pasadena, California. (Michael Schwartz / WireImage)
Subscribe now for as little as $2 a month!
You cant even discuss the fact that certain races demonstrate low IQ, Joe Rogan lamented in 2018. On that show he was celebrating Sam Harriss support for Charles Murrays claims that people of color are dumber than whites.Ad Policy
In 2019, in response to a guests proposed hypothetical, Lets imagine that you actually believe that males and females are equal in intelligence, Rogan responded, LOL. Rogans position was obvious: Women, he believes, arent as smart as men.
Rogan has routinely attacked people of color, trans people, women, and queer people as part of his public life for decades. His attacks on trans people are particularly vicious. Almost weekly on his popular podcast, Rogan excoriates trans folks using language like, What are you? and She used to be a man, and attacking trans individuals for wanting to play in sports, transitioning as teens, and asking people to address them respectfully.
In 2018, he told frequent guest Gavin McInnes, founder of the violent white supremacist and misogynist gang known as the Proud Boys, that people often become gay or lesbian because of molestation at an early age. it seems to be a real factor.
And Rogan, who has reveled in using the N-word, said that going to a black neighborhood made him feel like he was visiting the Planet of the Apes. He likes to use the word faggot, has announced that queer women dont have the lower back muscles to give other women a proper fuck, and says campuses are being too aggressive in prosecuting sexual assaults. He also claims that feminism is sexist.
All of this is why I felt so hurt and angry when I saw my favorite candidate, Bernie Sanders, trumpet Rogans endorsement in a campaign commercial released on Twitter.
As a passionate lifelong socialist, Ive adored and supported Bernie since the 1980s, when he was mayor of Burlington, Vermont. I was beyond thrilled to be able to vote for him and contribute money to his campaign in 2016. Ive been ecstatic to see a new flourishing generation of openly socialist candidates in the Democratic Party like AOC, and the growth of a movement of young socialist activists backing them.Current Issue
Subscribe today and Save up to $129.
But the question at the heart of the controversy around Sanders celebrating Rogans endorsement is what solidarity means.
As Shevek, the hero of Ursula K. Le Guins anarchist novel The Dispossessed puts it, solidarity begins in shared pain. Solidarity means taking on anothers pain and responding to it as though it were your own. Or, as the Industrial Workers of the World had it, An injury to one is an injury to all. Solidarity is at the heart of socialism, but Bernie Sanderss decision to embrace the backing of someone like Rogan is the opposite of sharing the pain of all. It is the opposite of the union makes us strong. In particular, his campaigns decision to double down on the Rogan ad and not even to acknowledge the pain of trans, African American, Latinx, gay, and female critics is a disturbing signal that for Sanders adherents, cisgender straight white men are the only people whose suffering seems to matter.
Sanderss Rogan ad is not a side issue. It cuts to the heart of the danger facing the American leftin fact, this entire countryat this terrifying political moment. Far-right populists the world over are mobilizing whiteness and maleness as though they were actually the true emblems of working-class identity.
Trump won the last election by explicitly referencing capitalist inequality and telling whites and straight cis men that they were its only victims. Fascists here and abroad say baldly that the solution to capitalist inequality is to attack brown people and sexual minorities.
If you like this article, please give today to help fund The Nations work.
Walking that path, however unknowingly, is the wrong movefor both practical reasons and moral ones. Besides his personal volleys of hate against these groups, Rogan has used his show to host white nationalists and fascists including McInnes, Alex Jones (whom Rogan calls a good friend), Milo Yiannopoulos, and Stefan Molyneux. He delights in defending misogynists and gay-bashers like Jordan Peterson and Stephen Crowder.Rogans Endorsement
Writing in The Guardian, Bhaskar Sunkara, the founder of Jacobin, called Rogans show pretty good and said the podcasters fans are a group of people we cant afford to cede to Trump.
I wonder if he thinks we can afford to cede the votes of people of color, women, trans people, and queer folks to the seductions of staying at home rather than vote for someone not prepared to have our back. More importantly, I wonder if he thinks we can afford to jettison these groups claims to protection, solidarity, and mutual aid from the rest of the left.
If were going to say that socialism is compatible with racism, transphobia, and misogyny, then weve already ceded the most important battle of our times. Many incarnations of fascism and white nationalism already incorporate a perverse kind of socialism whose benefits are to be restricted to white and cis straight males. Hey, Richard Spencer already believes in universal health care for white peoplewhy not get him to join the campaign, too?
The reason why not is, as Le Guin also wrote, that the means are the end. I expected better from Sanders. I will be voting for someone else in the primary.
Read the original here:
Bernie Broke My Heart When He Embraced Rogan's Endorsement - The Nation
- How Joe Rogan and Eric Weinstein Sinned - Thrive Global - April 7th, 2020
- Understanding the Viciousness of Jordan Peterson's Critics - Merion West - March 27th, 2020
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Has Mastered The Art Of Waist-Up Dressing - British Vogue - March 27th, 2020
- Five hours to change your life with Jordan Peterson - Patheos - March 27th, 2020
- If people stand up in the face of the things they are afraid of, they get stronger - The Indian Express - March 27th, 2020
- Prof still fighting school's demand to call he a 'she' - OneNewsNow - March 18th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 18th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - March 18th, 2020
- What Happened to Jordan Peterson? - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 15th, 2020
- Christopher Booker: Groupthink review an uncritical history of political correctness - The Arts Desk - March 15th, 2020
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: Jordan B ... - March 9th, 2020
- The best recent poetry review roundup - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Checks into Rehab Following Wife's Cancer ... - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Wife: The Truth About Tammy Peterson - Who - February 28th, 2020
- Podcast giant Joe Rogan coming to Tampas Amalie Arena - Tampa Bay Times - February 28th, 2020
- Is Wall Street on the Brink of Disaster? - Stock Investor - February 28th, 2020
- The Travesty of Comparing Jordan Peterson to Hitler - Merion West - February 25th, 2020
- What Douglas Murray's Book Does Well (And Where It Falters) - Merion West - February 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: the One Who Helped Me When I Most Needed It - Merion West - February 20th, 2020
- 'He could've killed somebody': Victim in Boise 11-car hit-and-run crash reacts to wild video - KTVB.com - February 20th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 20th, 2020
- Feb. 18: The story of Bombardier could have been easily avoided. Readers react to Bombardiers fortunes, facial recognition, Jordan Peterson, plus... - February 20th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Ex-benzodiazepine user relating to Peterson says withdrawal 'hell' needs awareness - The Chronicle Journal - February 20th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson enters rehab after wife's cancer diagnosis - February 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia - New York Post - February 8th, 2020
- He nearly died several times: Controversial academic Jordan Peterson seeks to recover from addiction, daughter says - Toronto Star - February 8th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Update on the health of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson - The Post Millennial - February 8th, 2020
- Is bragging about sex to other women 'emotional cheating'? - Stuff.co.nz - February 6th, 2020
- Filmmakers Discuss THE RISE OF JORDAN PETERSON On Tom Needham's SOUNDS OF FILM - Broadway World - February 2nd, 2020
- How Fox News Weaponizes Art + Two Other Illuminating Pieces of Criticism From Around the Web - artnet News - February 2nd, 2020
- The Masculinity Crisis - Unraveling the Threads - The Good Men Project - February 2nd, 2020
- Red flags: The enemies of bias - Asheboro Courier Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- It's Good That Joe Rogan Endorsed Bernie. Now We Have to Organize. - Jacobin magazine - January 26th, 2020
- Joe Rogans Endorsement: The Stain On Bernie Sanders That Some Voters Think Makes Him More Attractive - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- Dame Sarah Connolly: Brexit will inhibit the lives of musicians - Palatinate - January 26th, 2020
- College professors donate to Democrats over Republicans by ratio of 95-to-1: Study - Washington Examiner - January 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: Descensus ad inferos - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and the Cult of Genius - The Good Men Project - January 13th, 2020
- Anti-Jordan Peterson professor accused of abuse of power by former colleague, students - The Post Millennial - January 13th, 2020
- 'No Safe Spaces' ignores the attacks on free speech from the right - INSIDER - January 13th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson in Rehab After 'Horrific' Withdrawal - January 10th, 2020
- Writing about Jordan Peterson for the First Time - Merion West - January 10th, 2020
- America Remains the Land of Opportunity. For Everything Else, Theres Gold. - Forbes - January 8th, 2020
- Make 2020 the year of your programming side hustle - Coffee Talk: Java, News, Stories and Opinions - TheServerSide.com - January 8th, 2020
- The End of Pseudo-Liberalism | John Waters - First Things - January 6th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Destroys Q&A | 25 February 2019 - January 4th, 2020
- New at Disney World and Disneyland in 2020: Avengers Campus, Epcot updates - USA TODAY - January 4th, 2020
- Did 2019 mark a decline in the power of the transgender mob? - Lifesite - January 4th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson - Wikipedia - January 1st, 2020
- What Jordan Peterson Gets Right And Wrong About Sacrifice ... - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan B. Peterson - January 1st, 2020
- The Rise of Jordan Peterson (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes - January 1st, 2020
- Understand Myself - What You Need to Know - January 1st, 2020
- TCW's Book of the Year: Douglas Murray's The Madness of Crowds - The Conservative Woman - January 1st, 2020
- Jordan Peterson finds an unlikely readership in China, even after censors stripped away entire sections of his book - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2019
- The race to replace Andrew Scheer is turning into a dog and pony show - NOW Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- #YearInReview: Here's the Ten Most-Read NewsBusters Blogs of 2019 - NewsBusters - December 31st, 2019
- Health and wellness fads 2019: What were the trends and what's to come in 2020? - Stuff.co.nz - December 31st, 2019
- Jordan B Peterson - YouTube - December 21st, 2019
- Jordan Peterson | Podcast - December 21st, 2019
- They is Merriam-Websters Word of the Year. Heres why. - Vox.com - December 18th, 2019
- Yegor Zhukov Wants to Be Russia's President One Day - The Moscow Times - December 13th, 2019
- As the Year Closes: Appreciating One's Political Opponents - Merion West - December 13th, 2019
- If You Truly Believed in Gd, What Would You Be Like? - Ricochet.com - December 13th, 2019
- Should Atheists Lament the Decline of Christianity? - Patheos - December 13th, 2019
- Top five films: Best of the big screen - Sydney Morning Herald - December 13th, 2019
- Sad Wingnut Explains Slavery Saved Souls - Wonkette - December 13th, 2019
- Christmas-themed feminist slasher movie shouldn't work, but it does - The Age - December 13th, 2019
- Michelle Malkin: 'I Am an Extremist When It Comes to Telling the Truth' - CNSNews.com - December 13th, 2019