If you tuned into the Conservative Party leadership debates last month, and especially the media scrums following the debates, you could be forgiven for thinking the biggest issues facing Conservative voters are divisive social issues like abortion, same sex marriage and whether or not Canada is a systemically racist country.
These questions dominated the scrums, and the candidates were pestered with different iterations of the same question over and over again.
To Conservative voters, this is maddening. After all, the leadership will be determined by card-carrying members of the Party, true blue conservatives, and not the snarky and narrow-minded journalists who cover the Party like its some kind of a circus.
Herein lies the problem with much of the mainstream media in Canada. National media reporters are mostly from downtown Toronto or Ottawa or they moved to downtown Toronto or Ottawa as soon as they could.
These journalists are often progressive, secular, cosmopolitan urban elitists who always cheer on the latest leftist causes. They universally support unrestricted access to abortion, open immigration and the radical political organization that is Black Lives Matter.
They likely dont know many Conservative voters, let alone people with traditional or religious values. Some frankly dont understand the basics of the conservative worldview, others see tradition and order as the enemy.
Some go out of their way to demonize and discredit conservative thinkers like Jordan Peterson, Rex Murphy or Barbara Kay, and they convince themselves (and their audience) that conservative values come from a place of malice and ignorance.
As so, when these journalists go to a Conservative debate, all they can think about is how racist and bigoted these candidates must be. Their questions sound like a Margaret Atwood fever dream every conservative is a secret fascist and each candidate harbours a hidden agenda to transform Canada into a real life Handmaids Tale.
Instead of having a debate about the topics Conservatives care about jobs, economic recovery, resource development, pipelines, tax rates, government spending, debt, crime, trade, immigration levels, national security threats, relations with China, protecting free speech, improving health care, the military and Canadas role in the world were stuck hearing journalists obsess over whether or not Peter Mackay would allow candidates like Leslyn Lewis in his party or whether Erin OToole is secretly sympathetic to Derek Sloans more hardline positions.
These journalists are doing a disservice to Canadians by asking the questions they themselves care about, rather than trying to learn about conservatism and posing questions that matter to Conservative members.
It is in this view that earlier this month, I launched a new initiative, the Independent Press Gallery of Canada, to encourage more intellectual diversity and open inquiry in the media in Canada.
Im proud that our very first event will take place this Wednesday a live debate in Toronto (streamed online at http://www.IndependentPressGallery.ca) featuring all four leadership candidates for the Conservative Party of Canada.
Rather than demonizing the deeply held values of many of our fellow Canadians, this debate will seek to illuminate which of the four remaining candidates can best hold the torch for conservatism in the next election.
Who can best articulate and defend conservative values? Who has a vision for Canada that can appeal to mainstream, non-ideological Canadians? Who can repair the economic damage sown by the Trudeau Liberals after two reckless terms in office, and who can forge a new vision for Canada that unites all Canadians and mends the regional divides that have intensified under Trudeaus watch?
And, perhaps most importantly, who can stand up to and hold their ground against those bullies and anti-conservative bigots inside the Parliamentary Press Gallery?
I hope youll tune in on Wednesday and find out.
The Independent Press Gallery will host the final Conservative Party leadership debate this Wednesday, July 29 in Toronto. It will be streamed online atwww.IndependentPressGallery.caat 7pm ET, 5pm MT
Read the rest here:
MALCOLM: Fair coverage of the Conservative leadership is missing - Toronto Sun
- Confessions of a jaded NZ bookseller - The Spinoff - August 2nd, 2020
- Dont bank on Britains foppish, lazy elites to save us from deep fakery - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2020
- Will the real fascist please stand up? - Fallbrook / Bonsall Villlage News - July 31st, 2020
- Hess Jr. claims third win in a row at Eriez | News, Sports, Jobs - timesobserver.com - July 31st, 2020
- 5-year-old boy severely injured after being run over during camping trip - East Idaho News - July 27th, 2020
- Peterson: Last call for the Top 120 of 2020 - The Topeka Capital-Journal - July 27th, 2020
- 'Your inner voice will need to be your compass': Turners Falls High School says goodbye to Class of 2020 - The Recorder - July 27th, 2020
- Taibbi, Harper's and the Intellectual Dark Web - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - July 27th, 2020
- This Week in Podcasts: feat. Big Shiny Takes, Oats for Breakfast and more | Ricochet - Ricochet Media - July 5th, 2020
- TCW's top ten blogs of the week - The Conservative Woman - July 5th, 2020
- Nietzsche meets Netflix: the killer philosophy behind The Sinner - The Telegraph - July 2nd, 2020
- Bishop Robert Barron on Internet ministry, Black Lives Matter and the art of dialogue - America Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- The fall of Cambridge University - TheArticle - June 30th, 2020
- Sorry, not sorry: How Muay Thai taught me to stop apologising for everything - The Spinoff - June 30th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: The activists are now stalking the hard scientists - National Post - June 24th, 2020
- Joe Rogan Is Asking For Heat With Latest Comments - TheThings - June 24th, 2020
- Alpha brains but beta minds: Tory culture is the main worry for true conservatives - The Conservative Woman - June 24th, 2020
- Amia Srinivasan He, She, One, They, Ho, Hus, Hum, Ita: How Should I Refer to You? LRB 2 July 2020 - London Review of Books - June 24th, 2020
- Clergy kneel to those who'd trample over them - The Conservative Woman - June 22nd, 2020
- Dave Rubin On Where Liberals And Conservatives Can Agree, And Can't - The Federalist - June 16th, 2020
- Five defensive players the Arizona Cardinals need to live up to expectations in 2020 - Revenge of the Birds - June 16th, 2020
- NFL stars deliver a message to the league: Admit you silenced us wrongly - Sporting News - June 6th, 2020
- On the Limits of Dave Rubins Cultural Politics - National Review - June 6th, 2020
- Jordan B. Peterson Health Update: Author Is Recovering ... - May 27th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson is back at work on his next book - May 27th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson on the Resurrection | Adrian Warnock - Patheos - May 27th, 2020
- Why Hungarys Viktor Orbn is the American rights favorite strongman - Vox.com - May 24th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson says 2020 Cardinals are, on paper, best team he has been on - Cards Wire - May 24th, 2020
- Graduation 2020: Westby Area High School - The Westby Times - May 24th, 2020
- Jonathan Kay: It takes a true artist to find new ways to shock the conscience. Kent Monkman has done that - National Post - May 24th, 2020
- The Irrelevance of the Intelligence Debate - Merion West - May 18th, 2020
- There are great stories about U.S. Open qualifiers; too bad we won't have any in 2020 - GolfDigest.com - May 18th, 2020
- Bob Holliday talks about the fun day when MJ and Buzz Peterson went golfing - WRALSportsFan.com - May 15th, 2020
- Mohamed and the Mountain | Annette Poizner | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - May 15th, 2020
- What Hating Jordan Peterson Tells You (about yourself) - The Times of Israel - May 6th, 2020
- Former Vol head coach appears in ESPNs The Last Dance - Vols Wire - May 6th, 2020
- What if Michael Jordan had signed with Adidas? He very nearly did, and it haunts Gary Stokan to this day - WRALSportsFan.com - May 6th, 2020
- Why is it always the white NFL players who get a second chance? - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Another Piece on How Feminism Has Ruined Men - RushLimbaugh.com - May 6th, 2020
- Dave Rubin is out of ideas - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 6th, 2020
- Justin Amash could lead conservative reformation - Spring Hope Enterprise - May 2nd, 2020
- May Day! May Day! Is Government Out of Control? What It Means to Investors - Stock Investor - May 2nd, 2020
- Jordan Peterson and Carl Jung's Worldviews Have Been Greatly Oversimplified - Merion West - May 1st, 2020
- Dave Rubin Talks To Shapiro About Learning From Jordan Peterson On Tour - The Daily Wire - May 1st, 2020
- The one player Michael Jordan was scared of in college? Buzz Peterson details it - The Athletic - May 1st, 2020
- Russell Brand And Ricky Gervais Are Just What Your Brain Needs - The Federalist - May 1st, 2020
- The Problem with Edmund Burke and Defenders of Tradition - Merion West - May 1st, 2020
- FreedomFest Urges People to 'Catch the Vision' in Las Vegas - Right Wing Watch - May 1st, 2020
- Seminal Words and the Pregnant Pause | Annette Poizner - The Times of Israel - April 22nd, 2020
- Too Hot to Handle on Netflix is undeniably Sexy in Quarantine - The TeCake - April 22nd, 2020
- What Skeptical Scholars Admit about the Resurrect... - ChristianityToday.com - April 13th, 2020
- Michael Brooks' New Book Hits the Mark - Merion West - April 13th, 2020
- How Joe Rogan and Eric Weinstein Sinned - Thrive Global - April 7th, 2020
- Understanding the Viciousness of Jordan Peterson's Critics - Merion West - March 27th, 2020
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Has Mastered The Art Of Waist-Up Dressing - British Vogue - March 27th, 2020
- Five hours to change your life with Jordan Peterson - Patheos - March 27th, 2020
- If people stand up in the face of the things they are afraid of, they get stronger - The Indian Express - March 27th, 2020
- Prof still fighting school's demand to call he a 'she' - OneNewsNow - March 18th, 2020
- Patrick Peterson: Cardinals 'all in' this year and 'not done' - Cards Wire - March 18th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - March 18th, 2020
- What Happened to Jordan Peterson? - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Inside the Treatment of Jordan Peterson - InsideHook - March 15th, 2020
- Christopher Booker: Groupthink review an uncritical history of political correctness - The Arts Desk - March 15th, 2020
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos: Jordan B ... - March 9th, 2020
- The best recent poetry review roundup - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Checks into Rehab Following Wife's Cancer ... - March 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson Wife: The Truth About Tammy Peterson - Who - February 28th, 2020
- Podcast giant Joe Rogan coming to Tampas Amalie Arena - Tampa Bay Times - February 28th, 2020
- Is Wall Street on the Brink of Disaster? - Stock Investor - February 28th, 2020
- The Travesty of Comparing Jordan Peterson to Hitler - Merion West - February 25th, 2020
- What Douglas Murray's Book Does Well (And Where It Falters) - Merion West - February 24th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson: the One Who Helped Me When I Most Needed It - Merion West - February 20th, 2020
- 'He could've killed somebody': Victim in Boise 11-car hit-and-run crash reacts to wild video - KTVB.com - February 20th, 2020
- A Controversial Study Claimed To Explain Why Women Dont Go Into Science And Tech. It Just Got A 1,113-Word Correction. - BuzzFeed News - February 20th, 2020
- Feb. 18: The story of Bombardier could have been easily avoided. Readers react to Bombardiers fortunes, facial recognition, Jordan Peterson, plus... - February 20th, 2020
- Meet the Petersons: the controversial family plagued by ill health - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Ex-benzodiazepine user relating to Peterson says withdrawal 'hell' needs awareness - The Chronicle Journal - February 20th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson enters rehab after wife's cancer diagnosis - February 9th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson recovering from tranquilizer addiction in Russia - New York Post - February 8th, 2020
- He nearly died several times: Controversial academic Jordan Peterson seeks to recover from addiction, daughter says - Toronto Star - February 8th, 2020