[Editors Note: 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening was originally published in February 2020. It is regularly updated to include the most relevant information.]
The third big bitcoin halvening is coming in May, and according to our very own Matt McCall whose Ultimate Crypto portfolio has averaged a jaw-dropping 16% gain in 2020, against a market thats down 12% year-to-date thats a huge reason to be bullish on cryptocurrencies in 2020.
But, before we jump into understanding what that halvening is (also referred to as a halving) and which cryptocurrencies to buy for 2020, lets first understand why cryptocurrencies as a broad asset class have a bright future.
The core purpose of cryptocurrencies is relatively simple: leverage technology to eliminate the middle-man in financial transactions and make buying and selling things less costly and more efficient. Through the blockchain a decentralized public ledger of transactions that anyone can view, is consistent across the whole network, and is unable to be edited and/or updated unless the whole network agrees with the update cryptocurrencies are able to conduct and verify financial transactions without needing any central oversight.
That may sound like a mouthful. Its not. Traditional currencies need big banks to oversee and verify all transactions. Cryptocurrencies do not. This means theyre less costly and more efficient than traditional currencies, because theres no middle-man to pay and no paperwork to fill out.
Sure, there are risks to cryptocurrencies achieving mainstream adoption and overtaking government-backed currencies. But, lower transaction costs and quicker transactions are large enough value props to warrant there being a bright future for cryptocurrencies (even if they dont take over the world).
Now, lets take a deeper look at why cryptocurrencies will rise in 2020.
Two key characteristics of bitcoin are limited supply and constrained supply growth.
There are a fixed number of bitcoins in the world (21 million). The bitcoin world started with most of those bitcoins being locked in the system. Each time an individual updated bitcoins ledger (also called mining), the individual would unlock new bitcoins. But to constrain supply growth and retain incentives for mining, the bitcoin system is set up so that every so often, the amount of new bitcoins unlocked for mining a block is halved.
So far, bitcoin has undergone two halvings. After the first halvening in 2012, bitcoin prices rose about 8,000% over the following 12 months. After the second halvening in 2016, bitcoin prices rose about 2,000% over the following 18 months. In both instances, many alternative cryptocurrencies actually rose far more than bitcoin.
In other words, bitcoin halvings have traditionally been exceptionally bullish catalysts for cryptocurrencies. And that makes complete sense. Prices are determined by supply and demand. If supply growth slows, and demand growth doesnt, then prices should go up.
The third bitcoin halvening is coming in May 2020.
The number of bitcoins unlocked for mining one block will fall from 12.5 bitcoins, to 6.25 bitcoins. Because of this halving, bitcoins supply is expected to rise by just 2.5% in 2020 an all-time low for the cryptocurrency. Its expected to rise by less than 2% in 2021.
Concurrently, demand growth should accelerate in 2020, driven by the introduction of more financial derivative products, broader support from central banks and increasing recognition of bitcoin as a digital store of value.
Bigger demand growth plus lower supply growth equals higher cryptocurrency prices. Thats largely why Matt McCall, who has already picked one 70%-plus altcoin winner this year, thinks that the best of the big 2020 cryptocurrency rally is still ahead of us.
With all that in mind, I suggest readers keep a close eye on these seven explosive cryptocurrencies in the coming year:
Of course, the most obvious cryptocurrency to buy for 2020 is bitcoin. Over the next few months, bitcoin will be a direct beneficiary of slowing supply growth and accelerating demand growth across the cryptocurrency world.
On the supply side, the third halving in May will directly impact the amount of new bitcoins coming into market, and will lead to relatively slow supply growth.
Meanwhile, on the demand side, cryptocurrency interest will soar in 2020 as the third halving draws media coverage and public attention. Bitcoin demand will move higher simply because this is the gateway into cryptocurrencies for new investors. That is, as new investors enter the cryptocurrency market over the next few quarters, most of them will likely start by getting their feet wet with bitcoin.
Accelerating demand growth plus constrained supply growth will lead to higher prices for bitcoin in 2020.
Privacy is a top priority in the cryptocurrency community, and privacy-focused coins will likely win big in 2020. Thats why McCall has picked top privacy coin Zcash as one of his top altcoin investments for 2020.
Zcash, which is one of McCalls favorite altcoins in hisUltimate Crypto portfolio, is a pure play on the growing importance of privacy in cryptocurrency.
That is, the first wave of cryptocurrencies was all about decentralization
Existing currency valuation models do not quite take into consideration decentralization a potentially distinguishing feature of cryptocurrencies, says Professor William Cong of Cornell University.
Now that cryptocurrencies have gained more mainstream traction and are starting to exhibit staying power, its time for another distinguishing feature to emerge privacy. Privacy is one of the more important and discussed characteristics in both the crypto world and the financial transaction world at large.
As the importance of privacy grows in the crypto world, privacy coins will outperform, and Zcash looks particularly primed to outperform given the companys recent pivot into private mobile transactions.
A leading altcoin positioned for potentially big gains in 2020 is Ripple.
Ripple is a company which leverages blockchain technology to enable banks, payment providers, digital asset exchanges and corporations to send money globally, usually using the companys cryptocurrency, XRP.
In many ways, then, Ripple is the infrastructure behind cross-border cryptocurrency payments.
As cryptos gain more mainstream traction, Ripple is adding more and more banks and various other customers to its network. Most recently, the National Bank of Egypt just partnered with Ripple.
More and more banks will partner with Ripple in 2020 as cryptocurrency awareness and demand rises. As it does, the price of XRP will rise, too.
One of the more interesting cryptocurrencies to watch in 2020 and which could explode higher is Basic Attention Token.
The core idea behind BAT is pretty simple. The digital advertising model is broken, in that user and advertiser incentives are not aligned. Instead, they run opposite one another. That is, advertisers want users to watch their ads, while consumers want to skip the ads.
The idea of BAT is to realign the incentive structure in the digital ad network so that user and advertiser incentives match one another.
To do this, users get paid Basic Attention Tokens to watch ads in the Brave browser, so that they are now financially incentivized to watch the ad. The end goal, of course, is that more consumers watch ads, and advertisers sell more product/generate more brand awareness.
Its a pretty smart business model.
And, as cryptocurrencies gain more mainstream consumer traction in 2020, this smart model for compensating users to watch ads should similarly gain traction. As it does, the price of BAT should rise.
One of the hottest cryptocurrencies, and one which Matt McCall thinks will remain red hot for the foreseeable future, is Chainlink.
In his Ultimate Crypto portfolio, Matt first recommended Chainlink in early January at a price of $2.09. Today, Chainlink trades hands at $3.66, up a whopping 75% in just four months. Whats more, that 75% return over the past four months, follows a 450% return in 2019.
In other words, Chainlink has been scorching hot. Strengthening fundamentals imply that it will remain hot for the foreseeable future.
Specifically, Chainlink leverages blockchain technology to create smart contracts, which are essentially self-executing contracts that can be executed without central oversight.
But businesses have been slow to adopt smart contracts because data is integral to executing these smart contracts, and there hasnt yet been a reliable way to connect external data with the smart contract.
Thats exactly what Chainlink does. So, they provide a very necessary gateway to usher in broader adoption of smart contracts. This adoption uptake in 2020 will provide a natural tailwind for LINK, and the coins red-hot rally will likely persist.
The Synthetix Network Token is a cool platform in the ethereum ecosystem which leverages blockchain technology to help bridge the gap between the often very obscure cryptocurrency world, and the far more tangible traditional asset world.
That is, in the Synthetix Network, there are Synths, which are synthetic assets that provide exposure to assets such as gold, bitcoin, U.S. Dollars and various equities like Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) and Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL). The whole idea of these synthetic assets is to create shared assets wherein users benefit from asset exposure, without actually owning the asset.
Its a very unique idea, and a promising project in the ethereum landscape. Because it helps bridge the gap between cryptocurrencies and traditional assets, it creates a level of familiarity and value that are often missing in other cryptocurrency assets. This familiarity and value ultimately position SNX price to rise in 2020.
On the smaller side, a cryptocurrency which look like an interesting speculative buy in 2020 is DxChain Token.
DxChain is a very ambitious project which aims to use blockchain technology to solve the worlds data computation, storage and privacy issues. Its a tall order. But, if it works, it could yield huge results in terms of DXC usage and value growth.
In 2020, data privacy concerns are front and center. As such, privacy-focused coins should rise. DXC is one of the more interesting privacy-focused coins with potentially huge long term upside.
While its still all very speculative, those attributes may make this altcoin worth the risk over the next few quarters.
In the bigger picture, its not an understatement to say that the opportunity in cryptocurrency in 2020 is a once-in-a-lifetime event.
New technologies are often undergirded by periods of rapid, exponential growth before either dying out in supernova fashion or normalizing to meet realistic expectations. So when cryptos had their first once-in-a-lifetime event in 2013 which turned every $1,000 into $93,000 the spectating world thought they had missed out.
Then came thenextlife-changing event in 2017, turning every $5,000 into $123,000 thatwas assuredly the big boom that you either rode to 25x gains or, well, you didnt, right? Wrong.
Cryptocurrencies are unlike any trend weve ever seen before, and there will be another opportunity for investors to turn a fistful of dollars intomillionsof dollars.
The key to this explosion is the Halvening. Dont miss out this time!
Luke Lango is a Markets Analyst for InvestorPlace. He has been professionally analyzing stocks for several years, previously working at various hedge funds and currently running his own investment fund in San Diego. A Caltech graduate, Luke has consistently been recognized as one of the worlds top stock pickers by various other analysts and platforms, and has developed a reputation for leveraging his technology background to identify growth stocks that deliver outstanding returns. Luke is also the founder of Fantastic, a social discovery company backed by an LA-based internet venture firm.As of this writing, he did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.
Originally posted here:
7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Dogecoin Price Sustaining On $0.0020 Level With Overall Bullish Market - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price holds steady at $42, but analyst warns of a potential correction - Cryptopolitan - April 20th, 2020
- This Surprising Altcoin Dominates Crypto Trading Volume, Second Only to Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - April 14th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Was The Worst-Performing Altcoin In Q1 2020, Report Finds - ZyCrypto - April 14th, 2020
- HTC Exodus to Offer Monero Mining - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - April 14th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price faces headwind, but gains may be on the horizon - Cryptopolitan - April 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance: 2-Year Uptrend Breaking Could Spark Altcoin Boom - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Could Be Ready to Pop Off, Claims Analyst - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Tron continue to rally as uncertainty looms over Decred - AMBCrypto - April 10th, 2020
- XRP Price Hits $0.20 as Over 200M Coins Transferred... - Coinspeaker - April 7th, 2020
- 3 Altcoins To Consider In This Time Of World Crises - ZyCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- How is Bitcoin performing after the crash? Altcoins show promise - AMBCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- When Is The Altcoin Season Kicking Into Gear? - KryptoMoney - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Diamond, QTUM, Binance Coin Price: Altcoins inverted flags fly aloft - AMBCrypto - April 1st, 2020
- Microsoft New Crypto Initiative - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - April 1st, 2020