Bitcoin seems as though it may be finally breaking out of its two-month long period of stagnancy: this week, BTC shot up and over the $10,000 mark, and at press time, had landed around $11,000. This could have big implications in terms of renewed on Bitcoin in spot marketsand in derivatives markets.
Previously, Bitcoins long period of stagnancy seemed to have a major effect on the distribution of investors attention as well as their cash: the crypto crowd, which typically loves rapid price movements, temporarily turned to altcoins to get their volatility fix. As a result, a number of altcoinsboth in spot and derivatives marketsare approaching new highs.
The Most Diverse Audience to Date at FMLS 2020 Where Finance Meets Innovation
The extended period of stagnancy that Bitcoin was experiencing prior to this week was not limited to spot markets.
As the lack of volatility in spot markets continued, trading volume in derivatives markets also dipped. In mid-June, market data firm Skew published findings that trade volume on Bitcoin (BTC) futures exchanges has plummeted to new lows for 2020. Specifically, BTC futures markets collectively posted less than $5 billion in 24-hour volume on June 13.
Open interest measures the raw amounts that issuers and buyers have at stake in futures contracts that have yet to expire. This is different than futures volume, which measures the value of existing futures contracts being traded during a given period; futures contracts can be traded like any other derivative.
While trading activity in Bitcoin derivatives markets may have been limited, however open interest in Bitcoin futures seems to be on the road to recovery. Open interest in Bitcoin futures contracts took a major hit on March 12th, a day that is colloquially known as cryptos Black Thursday.
Aaron Gong, VP of Binance Futures, told Finance Magnates that since Black Thursday, when the entire market crashed more than 50% in a single day, he has also observed signs of recoveryand of changeacross cryptocurrency futures markets.
Both BTC and altcoins have slowly recovered over the last 4 months, Aaron told Finance Magnates, adding that more recently, altcoins have dominated headlines, which has led to a shift in users attention towards exchanges that offer the most comprehensive selection of altcoin contracts.
This shift toward exchanges with higher levels of variety in altcoin contracts could be a continuation of the ways that user distribution on futures exchanges have shifted since Black Thursday. A major redistribution in futures exchange users began when a service outage on cryptocurrency exchange BitMEX led some of its users to take their business to other platforms.
Now, however, the trend in user redistribution seems to favor futures exchanges with the most pairs of altcoins, which gained more momentum throughout the altcoin season, Aaron said, adding that this increased trading activity has caused a reorganization of market share across derivative exchanges.
On his own exchange, Binance Futures the altcoin futures market share has doubled since the start of July as volume quadrupled in less than a month.
We observed that market share has shifted in favor of Binance as the exchange dominated altcoin futures volume. In particular, contracts such as LINK and ADA, where Binance processed the most volume in the industry, he added.
The shift in focus toward altcoin futures seemed to steadily grow as Bitcoins period of stagnancy throughout May, June, and part of July, went on and on.
Aaron Gong said that while Bitcoins stagnation has been rather unusual, crypto markets have provided ample trading opportunities in the last two months, Aaron said in an email.
In particular, on his own platform, the much anticipated ETH upgrade, as well as other protocol upgrades has led to increased trading activity in altcoin futures contracts on Binance, Aaron said, adding that last week, ETH futures on Binance marked its highest weekly volume in the last three months, while open interest has almost tripled in the same period.
The increase in activity on ETH-related futures trading on Binance coincides with more expansive growth in the ETH futures market more generally. Blockchain data analytics firm Skew reported findings earlier this month that the total amount of open interest in Ethereum-based futures contracts had surpassed $1 billion for the first time ever.
The reach past $1 billion in Ethereums open interest represented an increase of nearly 30% since June 20, when the total amount of open interest in ETH futures contracts was under $800 million.
At press time, Skews data showed that OKEx and Huobi appeared to have the lions share of open interest in Ethereum contracts, with BitMEX, Binance, and FTX also held sizeable chunks of the market.
As a result of the increased levels of interest in ETH futures contracts, some futures trading platforms are taking rapid steps toward building out new futures for the ETH futures market.
For example, Aaron Gong said that in order to keep up with demand, Binance has launched two Binance Leveraged Tokens: BLVT (ETHUP, ETHDOWN).
What Trading Companies Really Need to Increase Their RevenuesGo to article >>
This new addition is expected to provide more options for traders to gain exposure to ETH and anticipate the positive impact of the ETH 2.0 upgrade, he said.
Additionally, OKEx recently added three new expiration dates to its ETH/USD contracts: daily, two-day, and monthly options, in addition to its weekly, bi-weekly, quarterly, and bi-quarterly options. The new dates are also available for its BTC/USD and EOS/USD contracts.
Bilal Hammoud, President, CEO, and Founder of Canadian digital asset exchange NDAX.io, also pointed out to Finance Magnates that the ETH futures momentum could continue to build if regulated ETH futures contracts hit the US market.
Indeed, speaking in an event at Georgetown University in October of 2019, CFTC Chairman Heath Tarbert said that Id say it is likely that you would see a futures contract in the next six months to a year, and that the volume to which itll trade, no idea, thats where the markets decide.
For his own part, Bilal has also observed a surge in the popularity of ETH and ETH-based futures contracts: we have seen a lot of interest in the spot market where volume is comparable and at points exceeding that of bitcoin in the past month, and it will be no different for ETH derivatives, he said.
In addition to the coming launch of Ethereum 2.0, some of the enthusiasm for ETH-based futures contracts may also have been driven from a sense of increased interest in the decentralized finance, or Defi, space.
Specifically, Aaron Gong noted that the enthusiasm surrounding DeFi seems to have increased the amount of open interest in contracts based on altcoins, many of which belong to DeFi platforms.
While there is limited data on the total amount of open interest in altcoin contracts as a whole, Aaron told Finance Magnates that on Binance Futures, altcoin volume has grown significantly since July 1st, with altcoin volume now contributing 60 percent of total exchange volume.
Additionally, our daily volume on altcoin contracts has grown fourfold in two weeks from under $500 million to $2 billion.
However, the order of things could soon be up for another change as Bitcoins push over $11,000 may signal the return of BTC volatility: just over the last two days, there is evidence that traders are showing higher levels of interest in BTC futures than ever.
For example, for the last two days, the volume of Bitcoin futures being traded on Bakkt has broken records. July 28th closed out the day with 11,506 contracts an 85 percent increase over the previous record. OnJuly 29, Bakkt topped the new record again, with 11,706 contracts traded.
Although Bitcoin as struggled to establish a foothold above the $10,0000 level previously, this time around, it does look like Bitcoin is finally building momentum and may go beyond in the coming months, Aaron Gong told Finance Magnates.
As such, we are expecting large market movements in the near future, particularly in Bitcoin, which seems to be revived after an extended period of consolidation.Bitcoins recent breakout has drawn speculations that a bull market is on its way.
And indeed, if that happens, BTC futures markets could potentially set a new record volume and open interest that we have not seen in recent months.
In other words, if BTCs volatility returnsand the increased interest in ETH and other altcoins continuesthere could be a sort of crypto futures renaissance around the corner.
As such, the increase in the number of products and features that have recently been built out for ETH and altcoin markets on some exchanges could translate into a bolstered set of BTC futures features on other exchanges.
This, in turn, may lead to a sort of virtuous cycle that causes the entrance of more and more capital into the crypto futures space: as futures trading platforms become more developed, higher-volume institutional entities may be more likely to take part in these markets.
In the long term, this could accelerate the rate of cryptocurrency asset price discovery, and could therefore lead to lower levels of volatility in crypto markets in the future.
For now, thoughit may be a wild ride.
View original post here:
As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020