Bitcoin seems as though it may be finally breaking out of its two-month long period of stagnancy: this week, BTC shot up and over the $10,000 mark, and at press time, had landed around $11,000. This could have big implications in terms of renewed on Bitcoin in spot marketsand in derivatives markets.
Previously, Bitcoins long period of stagnancy seemed to have a major effect on the distribution of investors attention as well as their cash: the crypto crowd, which typically loves rapid price movements, temporarily turned to altcoins to get their volatility fix. As a result, a number of altcoinsboth in spot and derivatives marketsare approaching new highs.
The Most Diverse Audience to Date at FMLS 2020 Where Finance Meets Innovation
The extended period of stagnancy that Bitcoin was experiencing prior to this week was not limited to spot markets.
As the lack of volatility in spot markets continued, trading volume in derivatives markets also dipped. In mid-June, market data firm Skew published findings that trade volume on Bitcoin (BTC) futures exchanges has plummeted to new lows for 2020. Specifically, BTC futures markets collectively posted less than $5 billion in 24-hour volume on June 13.
Open interest measures the raw amounts that issuers and buyers have at stake in futures contracts that have yet to expire. This is different than futures volume, which measures the value of existing futures contracts being traded during a given period; futures contracts can be traded like any other derivative.
While trading activity in Bitcoin derivatives markets may have been limited, however open interest in Bitcoin futures seems to be on the road to recovery. Open interest in Bitcoin futures contracts took a major hit on March 12th, a day that is colloquially known as cryptos Black Thursday.
Aaron Gong, VP of Binance Futures, told Finance Magnates that since Black Thursday, when the entire market crashed more than 50% in a single day, he has also observed signs of recoveryand of changeacross cryptocurrency futures markets.
Both BTC and altcoins have slowly recovered over the last 4 months, Aaron told Finance Magnates, adding that more recently, altcoins have dominated headlines, which has led to a shift in users attention towards exchanges that offer the most comprehensive selection of altcoin contracts.
This shift toward exchanges with higher levels of variety in altcoin contracts could be a continuation of the ways that user distribution on futures exchanges have shifted since Black Thursday. A major redistribution in futures exchange users began when a service outage on cryptocurrency exchange BitMEX led some of its users to take their business to other platforms.
Now, however, the trend in user redistribution seems to favor futures exchanges with the most pairs of altcoins, which gained more momentum throughout the altcoin season, Aaron said, adding that this increased trading activity has caused a reorganization of market share across derivative exchanges.
On his own exchange, Binance Futures the altcoin futures market share has doubled since the start of July as volume quadrupled in less than a month.
We observed that market share has shifted in favor of Binance as the exchange dominated altcoin futures volume. In particular, contracts such as LINK and ADA, where Binance processed the most volume in the industry, he added.
The shift in focus toward altcoin futures seemed to steadily grow as Bitcoins period of stagnancy throughout May, June, and part of July, went on and on.
Aaron Gong said that while Bitcoins stagnation has been rather unusual, crypto markets have provided ample trading opportunities in the last two months, Aaron said in an email.
In particular, on his own platform, the much anticipated ETH upgrade, as well as other protocol upgrades has led to increased trading activity in altcoin futures contracts on Binance, Aaron said, adding that last week, ETH futures on Binance marked its highest weekly volume in the last three months, while open interest has almost tripled in the same period.
The increase in activity on ETH-related futures trading on Binance coincides with more expansive growth in the ETH futures market more generally. Blockchain data analytics firm Skew reported findings earlier this month that the total amount of open interest in Ethereum-based futures contracts had surpassed $1 billion for the first time ever.
The reach past $1 billion in Ethereums open interest represented an increase of nearly 30% since June 20, when the total amount of open interest in ETH futures contracts was under $800 million.
At press time, Skews data showed that OKEx and Huobi appeared to have the lions share of open interest in Ethereum contracts, with BitMEX, Binance, and FTX also held sizeable chunks of the market.
As a result of the increased levels of interest in ETH futures contracts, some futures trading platforms are taking rapid steps toward building out new futures for the ETH futures market.
For example, Aaron Gong said that in order to keep up with demand, Binance has launched two Binance Leveraged Tokens: BLVT (ETHUP, ETHDOWN).
What Trading Companies Really Need to Increase Their RevenuesGo to article >>
This new addition is expected to provide more options for traders to gain exposure to ETH and anticipate the positive impact of the ETH 2.0 upgrade, he said.
Additionally, OKEx recently added three new expiration dates to its ETH/USD contracts: daily, two-day, and monthly options, in addition to its weekly, bi-weekly, quarterly, and bi-quarterly options. The new dates are also available for its BTC/USD and EOS/USD contracts.
Bilal Hammoud, President, CEO, and Founder of Canadian digital asset exchange NDAX.io, also pointed out to Finance Magnates that the ETH futures momentum could continue to build if regulated ETH futures contracts hit the US market.
Indeed, speaking in an event at Georgetown University in October of 2019, CFTC Chairman Heath Tarbert said that Id say it is likely that you would see a futures contract in the next six months to a year, and that the volume to which itll trade, no idea, thats where the markets decide.
For his own part, Bilal has also observed a surge in the popularity of ETH and ETH-based futures contracts: we have seen a lot of interest in the spot market where volume is comparable and at points exceeding that of bitcoin in the past month, and it will be no different for ETH derivatives, he said.
In addition to the coming launch of Ethereum 2.0, some of the enthusiasm for ETH-based futures contracts may also have been driven from a sense of increased interest in the decentralized finance, or Defi, space.
Specifically, Aaron Gong noted that the enthusiasm surrounding DeFi seems to have increased the amount of open interest in contracts based on altcoins, many of which belong to DeFi platforms.
While there is limited data on the total amount of open interest in altcoin contracts as a whole, Aaron told Finance Magnates that on Binance Futures, altcoin volume has grown significantly since July 1st, with altcoin volume now contributing 60 percent of total exchange volume.
Additionally, our daily volume on altcoin contracts has grown fourfold in two weeks from under $500 million to $2 billion.
However, the order of things could soon be up for another change as Bitcoins push over $11,000 may signal the return of BTC volatility: just over the last two days, there is evidence that traders are showing higher levels of interest in BTC futures than ever.
For example, for the last two days, the volume of Bitcoin futures being traded on Bakkt has broken records. July 28th closed out the day with 11,506 contracts an 85 percent increase over the previous record. OnJuly 29, Bakkt topped the new record again, with 11,706 contracts traded.
Although Bitcoin as struggled to establish a foothold above the $10,0000 level previously, this time around, it does look like Bitcoin is finally building momentum and may go beyond in the coming months, Aaron Gong told Finance Magnates.
As such, we are expecting large market movements in the near future, particularly in Bitcoin, which seems to be revived after an extended period of consolidation.Bitcoins recent breakout has drawn speculations that a bull market is on its way.
And indeed, if that happens, BTC futures markets could potentially set a new record volume and open interest that we have not seen in recent months.
In other words, if BTCs volatility returnsand the increased interest in ETH and other altcoins continuesthere could be a sort of crypto futures renaissance around the corner.
As such, the increase in the number of products and features that have recently been built out for ETH and altcoin markets on some exchanges could translate into a bolstered set of BTC futures features on other exchanges.
This, in turn, may lead to a sort of virtuous cycle that causes the entrance of more and more capital into the crypto futures space: as futures trading platforms become more developed, higher-volume institutional entities may be more likely to take part in these markets.
In the long term, this could accelerate the rate of cryptocurrency asset price discovery, and could therefore lead to lower levels of volatility in crypto markets in the future.
For now, thoughit may be a wild ride.
View original post here:
As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates
- Top Analyst Says One Altcoin Ready for 300% Rally, Predicts Spikes in Two More Crypto Assets - The Daily Hodl - July 29th, 2021
- What contributed to this altcoin outperforming Cardano, Dogecoin, and Binance Coin - AMBCrypto News - July 29th, 2021
- This is the main difference between Litecoin and other Altcoins - AMBCrypto News - July 29th, 2021
- BitMEX Introduces Altcoin and DeFi Basket Indices & Derivatives Contracts, First to be Available 24/7 on Fully Verified Platform - Yahoo Finance - July 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Trim Gains, Altcoin Rally Slows Down - Cryptonews - July 23rd, 2021
- BitMEX introduces Altcoin, DeFi Basket Indices; to be available 24/7 on fully verified platform - CNBCTV18 - July 23rd, 2021
- Here's how altcoin futures volumes and the USD lending rate signal market crashes - Cointelegraph - July 21st, 2021
- BitMEX Introduces Altcoin and DeFi Basket Indices & Derivatives Contracts, First to be Available 24/7 on Fully Verified Platform - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Altcoin Daily Looks at Ethereum, Cardano, and 6 Other Altcoins - CryptoGlobe - July 21st, 2021
- These Altcoins Are The Future Of Cryptocurrency - ValueWalk - July 21st, 2021
- Is the rise of altcoins going to continue for a while? - FXStreet - July 21st, 2021
- Cardano price: What price is Cardano today? Altcoin explained - Express - July 21st, 2021
- Mark Cuban has invested in a new altcoin that's recovered impressively - Crypto News Flash - July 21st, 2021
- Cardano in focus: Why this altcoin could have an exciting year ahead - ArabianBusiness.com - July 12th, 2021
- One Metric Will Confirm Start of Next Altcoin Season, According to Prominent Analyst - The Daily Hodl - July 12th, 2021
- Ethereum, Cardano and 7 Altcoin Projects Are Sleeping Giants As Bitcoin Moves Sideways According to Altcoin Daily - The Daily Hodl - July 12th, 2021
- Polygon Is an Altcoin That Will Emerge a Long-Term Winner - InvestorPlace - July 12th, 2021
- Crypto Trader Lark Davis Says Hes Bullish on Bitcoin, Ethereum and One Large-Cap Altcoin - The Daily Hodl - July 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin targets $36K key Wyckoff level, with altcoins set to grind up heavier - Cointelegraph - July 12th, 2021
- 5 Biggest Altcoin Gainers in 2021 and How They Have Performed - Market Realist - July 12th, 2021
- What Litecoins Downfall Teaches About The Lifespan Of Other Altcoins - ZyCrypto - July 12th, 2021
- Ethereum Price Reclaiming this level ! Will it Pump The Altcoin Market Higher - Coinpedia Fintech News - July 12th, 2021
- Should You Buy Enzyme Crypto as the Altcoin Rallies? - Market Realist - July 12th, 2021
- Constellation (DAG) Was The Week's Top Performing Altcoin | - Digital Market News - July 12th, 2021
- Bulls are back, but regulatory fears hamper the DeFi and altcoin recovery - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2021
- Analyst Says Crypto Traders Are Sleeping on One Altcoin As Final Leg of Bull Run Approaches - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- Enterprise Adoption Will Trigger Billion-Dollar Surge in Two Altcoins, Predicts Crypto Trader Tyler Swope - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- What is an Altcoin? | Cryptocurrency - Investment U - July 4th, 2021
- Top Trader Says This Group of Altcoins Poised To Massively Thrive in Next Bitcoin and Crypto Bull Run - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- Top Analyst Says Hes Bullish on Ethereum and Cardano But Another Altcoin Is Looking Stronger - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- Veteran Crypto Trader Says One Extremely Bullish Altcoin Will Significantly Outperform Ethereum This Year - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- Crypto Newcomer Backed by Coinbase Soars 50% in One Week, Defying Bitcoin and Altcoin Markets - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- An Analyst Says Crypto Traders Are Sleeping On An Altcoin As Bull Run's 'Final Stage' Approaches - BollyInside - July 4th, 2021
- It makes sense to add this Altcoin, if you have Ethereum in your portfolio - AMBCrypto News - July 4th, 2021
- Grayscale Sees Growing Inflows in Its Altcoin Trusts, Now Holding $31.2 Billion in - U.Today - July 4th, 2021
- Three Altcoins Are Showing Strength Behind the Scenes, According to Crypto Analytics Firm Santiment - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- These Four Crypto Assets Are Primed To Erupt in July, According to Trader Aaron Arnold - The Daily Hodl - July 4th, 2021
- This Highly Resilient Altcoin Flashing Signs of Bullish Reversal, Says Crypto Analytics Firm Santiment - The Daily Hodl - June 23rd, 2021
- Top Analyst Says Hes Investing in One Untapped Altcoin Amid Crypto Correction - The Daily Hodl - June 23rd, 2021
- This Little-Known Altcoin Could Be Next To Debut on Coinbase, According to Crypto Trader Tyler Swope - The Daily Hodl - June 23rd, 2021
- Altcoins Are Riding Elon Musk's Twitter to the Moon - Investorplace.com - June 18th, 2021
- Garlicoin - The Best-kept Altcoin Secret - Cryptonews - June 18th, 2021
- These Altcoins in the Cosmos Ecosystem Are About To Go Vertical, According to Top Trader - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- This Emerging Altcoin Is More Exciting Long-Term Bet Than Ethereum, Says Prominent Crypto Trader - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- The Future of Dogecoin Is In the Hands of Elon Musk - Investorplace.com - June 18th, 2021
- One of the Years Top Altcoins Set To Soar 230%, Says Crypto Trader Lark Davis - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano Are Top Three Crypto Assets for 2021, Says Altcoin Daily Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- Institutions Pumping Millions Into Ethereum and Other Altcoins: CoinShares - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- This New $400,000,000 Altcoin Project Is Mind-Blowing, According to Coin Bureau - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- How Do Altcoin Signals Work and How to Trade Them - Chiang Rai Times - June 18th, 2021
- Altcoins Could See Major Market Shift if Bitcoin Breaks This Level, According to Nicholas Merten - The Daily Hodl - June 18th, 2021
- Meaningful Innovation Makes Cardano an Altcoin to Watch - InvestorPlace - June 10th, 2021
- Top Trader Is Buying the Big Dip on These 5 Altcoins - The Daily Hodl - June 10th, 2021
- Investors With Deep Pockets Quietly Buying This Altcoin, According to Coin Bureau - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2021
- Here Are Five Undervalued Altcoins To Buy in June: Altcoin Daily - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2021
- Ethereum Classic Has Its Strengths, But Consider Other Altcoins Instead - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2021
- Altcoins soar while Bitcoin and Ethereum price stall near key levels - Cointelegraph - May 27th, 2021
- The Crypto Crash Is Here. Here's Why It's Time to Buy the Altcoin Dip. - Investorplace.com - May 27th, 2021
- The Five Best Altcoins to Invest in and Start Building a Crypto Fortune - Investment U - May 27th, 2021
- Heres How High Bitcoin Could Skyrocket After Severe Correction, According to Altcoin Daily - The Daily Hodl - May 27th, 2021
- Cardano Faces an Uphill Battle to Change the Finance World - InvestorPlace - May 27th, 2021
- These three cryptocurrencies weathered the storm as Bitcoin plunged - Cointelegraph - May 27th, 2021
- Younger investors are calling bitcoin 'boomer coin'here's why they prefer dogecoin and other altcoins - CNBC - May 20th, 2021
- Altcoins Follow Bitcoin to the Abyss, XRP Lost 25% - Finance Magnates - May 20th, 2021
- Top Trader Says Hes Bullish on Two Underrated Altcoins, Unveils Big End of Year Target for Bitcoin - The Daily Hodl - May 20th, 2021
- Altcoins Take The Reins After Bitcoin Market Dominance Hits Three Year Low - Benzinga - May 20th, 2021
- Altcoin Season's Outer Limits: Ether Outpacing Bitcoin Further Than in 2017 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2021
- South Korean Banking Association Concerned Over Surge of the Altcoin Trading Frenzy Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2021
- EOS and YFI lead altcoins higher as Bitcoin and Ether bounce from swing lows - Cointelegraph - May 16th, 2021
- South Korea's banking association alarmed by altcoin trading mania - Cointelegraph - May 16th, 2021
- Analyst on Cardano: if an altcoin cant do this theres no point in holding it - AMBCrypto News - May 16th, 2021
- Another Meme Token Gains Traction in Altcoin Underground - BeInCrypto - May 16th, 2021
- What is SafeMoon? Price, where to buy, news and more - Tom's Guide - May 16th, 2021
- Banks association raises red flag over growing altcoin influence - The Korea Herald - May 14th, 2021
- Heres How To Find 100x Altcoins, According to Analyst Alex Saunders - The Daily Hodl - May 14th, 2021
- Dogecoin, Ethereum, XRP, LTC: What the surge in altcoin interest means to Binance and other exchanges? - AMBCrypto News - May 14th, 2021
- How Will the Rest of 2021 Look for Altcoins? - NewsBTC - May 14th, 2021
- Ethereum price imminent rise to $5,000 could trigger the altcoin season - Coingape - May 14th, 2021
- 7 Non-Bitcoin Cryptocurrencies to Buy Now - InvestorPlace - May 1st, 2021
- XRP and 5 Untapped Altcoins Gearing Up for Massive Bull Rallies, Says High-Profile Trader - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2021