The price of Bitcoin (BTC) has been trading in a defined range over the past weeks as the halving hype has passed. Bitcoins price action also led to increased volatility in altcoins and some of the smaller altcoins have been showing impressive strength. So far, Theta Token (THETA) and Band Protocol (BAND) have been heavy movers.
However, in the previous days, the larger cap altcoins have started to move up, with Cardano (ADA) and Ether (ETH) as the primary movers. As Bitcoin attempts to find a way back to $10,000, traders will closely watch to see if there is more to follow from these large cap altcoins.
Crypto market daily performance. Source: Coin360
ETH USDT 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
The daily chart is showing an evident compression between $195 and $215, which finally broke to the upside. Alongside that, the chart is also showing some critical metrics for further upward momentum.
Key indicators for bull or bear markets are the support above or below the 100-day and 200-day moving average. As long as the price of a certain asset continues to move above the moving averages the asset is in bull territory.
Why is that important? Throughout the entire previous bull cycle, the price of Ethereum remained above these indicators, leading to a peak of $1,400 in January 2018.
Notably, the volume is also massively increasing in recent periods, showing signs of accumulation as volume precedes price. A similar sign is shown on the altcoin market capitalization chart.
Altcoin market capitalization 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
The total market capitalization for altcoins is showing an impressive increase in volume, while the capitalization is also flipping the 100-day and 200-day MA for support.
As the chart is showing, the support is found at these MAs in which $68-$72 billion is an essential support.
Furthermore, the resistance is established at $113 and $136 billion. This is a vital resistance as the $113 billion level can be compared with the $6,000 floor of Bitcoin in 2018. The price of Bitcoin is now far above the $6,000 barrier, as its currently hovering between $9,100 and $10,000.
Therefore, its time for altcoins to start pacing up, and the next resistance levels are found at the $113 and $136 billion level. If the total market capitalization rallies towards the $136 billion level, that would mean a surge of 60% for the entire altcoin market capitalization.
ADA USDT 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
The strongest large-cap altcoin in the past week has been Cardano which has moved 30% in recent days. This last push made the cryptocurrency rally towards the levels from February 2020, through which all the losses of the March 12 market crash have vanished.
Whats behind this push? From a fundamental perspective, a new roadmap for the release of Shelley is complete, triggering a further rally on the price.
However, on the technical side, the price has been holding the 100-day and 200-day MA as support earlier. After that, the green area around $0.05 became support, which fueled the continuation of the upwards momentum.
Right now, the next resistance of this pair is found at $0.07, with a potentially exciting support level at $0.057-$0.06.
If the $0.057-$0.06 confirms as support, a potential continuation rally towards $0.07 and $0.09 as the next targets are on the tables.
Confluent with previous statements, Cardanos trading volume is also increasing this week. A possible explanation is that investors are jumping from Bitcoin towards altcoins as various projects are finally starting to release their products and platforms.
XLM USDT 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
Meanwhile, other large-caps are starting to show signals of potential upwards continuation as well. Cardano has been rallying in the previous days, Ether broke through $213-$215 as a key resistance level. Stellar Lumens (XLM) is also showing signals of potential continuation as well.
The green zone at $0.06-$0.0625 has to remain a support, but overall the structure is beginning to form a bullish pennant. This is due to the fact the price of Stellar Lumens continues to make higher lows, leading to a potential continuation to the upside.
The next primary target for Stellar Lumens is the resistance at $0.085-$0.087.
The ETH/BTC pair has been trading inside a range structure since the August-September of 2019. However, since its low in September 2019, the price has been making structural higher lows.
ETH BTC 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
Through that, the trend for ETH/BTC can be classified as an uptrend. What are the next significant hurdles for Ether?
First of all, a breakthrough above the 0.024 sats level should be beneficial for continuation. The 0.024 sats level is confluent with the 200-day MA and needs to be broken for a sustainable extension. As discussed, finding support above the 200-day MA is a vital indicator for further bullish momentum.
Once the price of Ether is above the resistance level (whether or not a retest of the 0.021 sats level occurs), a new higher high should be made.
By creating a new higher high, the price of Ether will finally break out of this range. If the 0.027 sats level is broken to the upside, the next target lies at 0.034 sats.
Where Ether is still fighting the moving averages, is ADA/BTC is already leading the pack and acting above them.
ADA BTC 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
The Cardano chart in the BTC pair is showing an apparent breakthrough in the resistance at 0.00000625 sats, after which the price rallied towards the next resistance at 0.00000680-0.00000700 sats.
This is the last hurdle before a further surge. Preferably, the price should come down for a retest of the 0.00000625-0.00000640 sats level for support.
However, once the price of ADA/BTC breaks through the 0.00000690 sats level, a further, mpre sustainable rally towards 0.00001000 - 0.00001070 sats level is on the table. Such a rally would mean a new surge of 60%-70%.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Dogecoin Price Sustaining On $0.0020 Level With Overall Bullish Market - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price holds steady at $42, but analyst warns of a potential correction - Cryptopolitan - April 20th, 2020
- This Surprising Altcoin Dominates Crypto Trading Volume, Second Only to Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - April 14th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Was The Worst-Performing Altcoin In Q1 2020, Report Finds - ZyCrypto - April 14th, 2020
- HTC Exodus to Offer Monero Mining - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - April 14th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price faces headwind, but gains may be on the horizon - Cryptopolitan - April 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance: 2-Year Uptrend Breaking Could Spark Altcoin Boom - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Could Be Ready to Pop Off, Claims Analyst - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Tron continue to rally as uncertainty looms over Decred - AMBCrypto - April 10th, 2020
- XRP Price Hits $0.20 as Over 200M Coins Transferred... - Coinspeaker - April 7th, 2020
- 3 Altcoins To Consider In This Time Of World Crises - ZyCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- How is Bitcoin performing after the crash? Altcoins show promise - AMBCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- When Is The Altcoin Season Kicking Into Gear? - KryptoMoney - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Diamond, QTUM, Binance Coin Price: Altcoins inverted flags fly aloft - AMBCrypto - April 1st, 2020
- Microsoft New Crypto Initiative - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - April 1st, 2020