Much of the discussion on the economic fallout that the coronavirus has caused in the cryptosphere has been focused around Bitcoinperhaps rightfully so. After all, as the largest cryptocurrency by market cap and the coin with the largest share of institutional cash, BTC is arguably the most visible crypto asset.
The Most Diverse Audience to Date at FMLS 2020 Where Finance Meets Innovation
However, the rise of the coronavirus has also had a number of striking effects on other cryptocurrency assets, and unlike Bitcoin, not all of them have been negative.
For example, in the stablecoin sphere, the market cap of Binance USD (BUSD) has more than doubled, rising from $68 million to roughly $190 million at press time. Similarly, Circles USD stablecoin jumped from roughly $440 million to $727 million over the same time period; Paxos Standard (PAX) grew from $200 million to $246 million.
Additionally, David Waslen, chief executive of HedgeTrade, pointed out to Tether (USDT), a stablecoin that some consider the next generation on-ramp for cryptocurrencies, namely bitcoin.
Currently, Tethers 24-hour trading volume is close to $80 billion; on March 13th, while stocks were plummeting, Tether reached an all-time high for trading volume at $94 billion, he said. Tether reserves are also sitting at ATHs.
However, beyond stablecoins, the coronavirus has also had varied and unique effects on the altcoin sphere.
What, exactly, have these effects been?
In the past, youve seen altcoins follow along pretty closely with bitcoins ebbs and flows, with certain decoupling here and there, said David Waslen, chief executive of HedgeTrade, to Finance Magnates. Leading up to 2020 and continuing today, there have been some altcoins that have taken a more divergent path.
However, the economic fallout of the coronavirus seems to have had an effect on the relationship between Bitcoin and altcoins: Waslen explained that since early March, they have correlated somewhat.
Indeed, Bitcoin took a 50% plunge but has steadily come backwithout massive cash infusions, I might add, Waslen said, while altcoins, for the most part, fell at the same time; everything was down.
Bitcoins market movements were also correlated with movements outside of the cryptosphere: Bitcoin fell almost in tandem with the DOW and other traditional indices (although it has since picked up the pace against most stocks), Waslen said.
Then, when the stimulus packages rolled out, stocks came back a little, as did virtual assets, he continued. But its in the recovery where both bitcoin and altcoins have shown promise over traditional stocks, which are still struggling (down 14% YTD) despite heavy corporate welfare.
Throughout this period, most altcoins fell at the same time, Waslen explained, but there were definitely some that had a quicker comeback than bitcoin during a time when stocks were bottoming.
When considering the reaction that altcoins have had to the coronavirus fallout, however, Waslen said that its important to consider the direction the space was headed before the pandemic began: theres a pretty big difference between altcoins in 2016-2017 and today, where you now have an immense blockchain infrastructure that is in a constant state of improvement, he said.
Between ample on and off ramps and a steady flux of new investors, many altcoins were already showing strength going into the start of COVID-19. Many have rallied back faster and more strongly than bitcoin, and, of course, stocks.
Waslen specifically pointed to Chainlink (LINK), which began a steep price climb on April 5th, one that diverged from most other coins at the time. Indeed, since Black Thursday, LINK has more than doubled its price.
Fundiza Allowing Less-Experienced Traders to Join Their PlatformGo to article >>
Waslen also mentioned Ethereum, which he said: is getting ever closer to a staking method conversion that is designed to help the Network scale.
Many of todays most promising crypto projects are built on Ethereum, and the upcoming ETH 2.0 upgrade could be an impetus for mass adoption of cryptocurrencies, he said, adding that on the year, ETH is up 39%, as opposed to BTCs rise of 17%.
Two additional assets that have warranted attention are Monero and Zcash, which Waslen said: have taken on an outlier status.
Both of these assets, which are two of the crypto industrys most popular privacy-focused coins, have seen substantial increases in price since the beginning of the year: Monero is up 30% YTD with Zcash up 40%, he said. With regulations on crypto tightening and people feeling financial privacy (and security) is a right, we see a corresponding interest in privacy coins, even more so since Black Thursday.
Additionally, you have cryptocurrencies like Binance (BNB) and HedgeTrade (HEDG), both of which are up over 22 % YTD, and Stellar (XLM) reaching over 37% on the year, Waslen said.
Indeed, all of these altcoins have outperformed bitcoin since the pandemic took hold, he continued. They also will likely ride on the laurels of a potential bull market triggered by bitcoins stock to flow and scarcity levels after the halving.
But why exactly are certain altcoins doing so well?
David Zeiler, cryptocurrency expert and associate editor of Money Morning,explained to Finance Magnatesthat while its true most cryptocurrencies sold off during the initial shock to the global markets, it wasnt necessarily because of any design flaw or lack of faith in crypto: [the sell-off] was due to a scramble for cash as investors got hit by margin calls in their leveraged stock holdings, Zeiler said.
People werent selling BTC or altcoins because of any direct link to the coronavirus.
Zeiler explained that indeed, the fact is that crypto is too young to be deeply integrated into the economy.
Most projects are still in various stages of development, he said. While they have the potential to be disruptive in the future, for now, no industries depend on crypto for anything critical.
In his view, this is precisely what has allowed many altcoins to have fared so well: thats what has allowed the altcoins to bounce back as quickly as they have, he explained. Once the initial shock passed, people saw the bargain prices and started buying crypto again.
Of course, this isnt to say the coronavirus has had no impact on the altcoins. The biggest issue is the shortage of venture capital (VC), which many young crypto projects need to maintain development.
Indeed, while altcoin prices may not be hurting as badly as other financial markets in the short-term, lost opportunities for connections to funding may hurt altcoin firmsand innovation more generallyin the longer-term.
For example, coronavirus has caused delays and cancellations in the many crypto conferences held throughout the world: one of the largest conferences, Consensus New York scheduled for mid-May, will take place entirely online.
Therefore, attendees will be able to watch the session, but will miss out on the opportunities for networking that are the life-blood of such conferences. Several of Finance Magnates events have also been postponed or moved online.
At the same time, however, the widespread lockdowns havent had much effect on the developers working on the altcoin code because theyre often spread out across the globe and are used to collaborating online.
As such, it could very well be that overall, crypto is getting off easy in this crisis.
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Dogecoin Price Sustaining On $0.0020 Level With Overall Bullish Market - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price holds steady at $42, but analyst warns of a potential correction - Cryptopolitan - April 20th, 2020
- This Surprising Altcoin Dominates Crypto Trading Volume, Second Only to Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - April 14th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Was The Worst-Performing Altcoin In Q1 2020, Report Finds - ZyCrypto - April 14th, 2020
- HTC Exodus to Offer Monero Mining - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - April 14th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price faces headwind, but gains may be on the horizon - Cryptopolitan - April 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance: 2-Year Uptrend Breaking Could Spark Altcoin Boom - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Could Be Ready to Pop Off, Claims Analyst - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Tron continue to rally as uncertainty looms over Decred - AMBCrypto - April 10th, 2020
- XRP Price Hits $0.20 as Over 200M Coins Transferred... - Coinspeaker - April 7th, 2020
- 3 Altcoins To Consider In This Time Of World Crises - ZyCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- How is Bitcoin performing after the crash? Altcoins show promise - AMBCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- When Is The Altcoin Season Kicking Into Gear? - KryptoMoney - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Diamond, QTUM, Binance Coin Price: Altcoins inverted flags fly aloft - AMBCrypto - April 1st, 2020
- Microsoft New Crypto Initiative - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - April 1st, 2020