How to perform your own due-diligencebefore investing in CryptoCurrencies?
One key lesson from Jim Rogers on investing is to do your own thinking. This article will help you understand cryptocurrencies. If you are an altcoin investor (An Altcoin is a cryptocurrency which is not Bitcoin), fundamental analysis will help you choose the ones with long-term potential.
All investments have pros and cons. A Cryptocurrency investor needs to look for the cons first, as some are definite deal breakers. If they exist, it is not worth investing more time in researching the crypto-currency.
Finding the right information about Crypto-Currencies is challenging because:
What are the core reasons to invest in an Altcoin?
The fundamental reason for a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin or an Altcoin to exist is to serve its users, the only reason why users will engage with an altcoin is, if it is solving a problem they have. Some Altcoins promise to solve problems we did not know we had, for example, LBRY is creating a pay-to-view content system, while others such as Crown Coin, Dash and deCRED are variants of Bitcoin. They are solving the same key problemin different ways. An investor needs to predict who will be the best at it.
Others like EDC and iEx.ec are bringing blockchain or decentralisation to problems which have been addressed by centralised solutions. For an Altcoin to have the wind blowing in its sails, it needs to get the very basic core mission both right the functionally, the context and the timing right.
Branding, Marketing and Visibility:
If they do not know about you, you do not exist.
Marketing is everything. Without knowing about a solution, how can that solution be applied to a users problems? Marketing is about informing the market of the solution.
Branding is about the trust between the Cryptocurrency and its potential investors first; actual users usually will come in later. A hyperinflation ultimately occurs because the users of a currency lose trust in it, but the inverse is also true. Hyper re-valuations (Manias?) occur when many new investors want to buy in the belief that the actual users will come in later.
Re-branding is not an uncommon thing in the crypto space, as an altcoin goes through periods of maturation so does its brand image. Frequent re-brandings are a sign of frequent changes of strategy (or trying to hide something). Frequentand recent re-brands throughout an Altcoins life are not a good indication of future strategic decisions.
Positive mentions in crypto-media outlets such as Cointelegraph.com, CryptoCoinsNews.com and Altcoin Reviews all add credibility to Altcoin when discussed in positive terms.
More street cred is accumulated when the media mentions are outside of the crypto universe. Editorials and articles in Forbes, Bloomberg, Nasdaq add more authority and credibility to an Altcoin. Coverage in general newspapers and news media are indicators of mainstream interest.
Altcoin Social ProofHow many other investors/users believe in the project?
This is one of the most important metrics to evaluate a cryptocurrency as it is the results of all the other metrics combined.
Coin market cap or the total value of a crypto-coin is also a form of social proof. The total value of a coin is the result of investors voting with their wallets for the coin or against.
Cryptocurrency developers and spoke persons, give a face to the project, they consolidate information and can be the champions and evangelists. Spreading the idea and solution to the masses. Any U-turn by these coin champions can have serious adverse effects on the coins value. These spokespeople become key influencers because naive investors delegate their thinking to them.
When high profile coin spokespersons jump from one bandwagon to other many investors could follow and the results could be cataclysmic.
Altcoin development team and technology
The core value of any project is the functionality of the coin. (and how many people know about it and trust it)
Bitcoin has proven itself over and over again, although many have sung to its obituary. Most Altcoins have either modified the Bitcoins block chain code or created an entirely new blockchain tech.
New technologies bring new risks. For example, the now famous DAO hack was the product of a bug in a new smart contract technology. Such breakages in the technology can have different impacts. The DAO was destroyed, but in other instances, it serves as a resilience exercise.
In general when something in the cryptocurrency ecosystem breaks down it does not help the cryptocurrency investor as mainstream adoption is postponed with each of these negative events.
Price, Market and Exchanges
AD: Want to learn more about cryptocurrenciestry: Cryptoversity
Altcoin pumping and dumping:
Altcoins usually have a core following which are true believers in the project. These believers are a mix of the founders, developers and those with a vested interested in seeing this coin flourish either ideologically, or for monetary reasons. These groups will promote the pros and try to find solutions to the cons.
There will be other groups who market more the disadvantages of a specific coin over the advantages. This group will be made up of believers in the competing coins and those who missed out on the ICO or buying the coin at lower prices.
Some pumps are focused around a certain new feature being released others can be more structural such as regulation changes, a breakdown or an increase in the competition.
Trying to follow the pumps and dumps is the job of the market makers and the day traders. Other investors choose, not to roll with that roller coaster and focus on the long term fundamentals of the cryptos.
Malicious market makers, pump and dump coins while they skim money from both the greedy investor and the fearful investor. The pumps take placethrough a hype, promises and fear of losing out.
Some pumps are phenomenal for example between Jan and Feb 2017 Dash doubled in price. Such a rise in price needs to be sustained to be of any value to the buy and hold crypto investor. If the prices go up and then comes crashing down, investor confidence erodes each time this takes place.
Can the price of a crypto-currency be manipulated easily by external agents intent on causing harm? This question is more important in the future than today, when investors will be able to invest in cryptocurrency ETFs. When these are approved by the SEC, these ETFs can be used to do naked short selling. This system allows speculators to bet on the downside of a coin, this is done without owning any of the actual coins hence the term naked.
The economics of an altcoin, determine the supply side of the coin. Coin founders amount to the FED of that specific coin, their behaviour needs to be scrutinised as much as that of any central banker!
Within the history of an altcoin, investors can potentially find the virtues, tantrums and the seeds of greatness or otherwise. To go into an Altcoins history,investors need to define what is an Altcoin first.
To me, an Altcoin encompasses the mindset of the founders, the whitepaper, the connection and interaction between the market and the Altcoin developers.
Some Altcoins are scam coins by design, others have good intentions but are implemented badly or too weakly, or the competition is too overwhelming. The past is no guarantee of the future, but the futures foundations are laid down in the past.
Crypto-Currency Regulation challenges
Regulators have the power to destroy the viability of a cryptocurrency overnight, at least within their own borders. Indeed cryptocurrencies are somewhat resilient to such an attack because of their decentralised design. However, the owners of such cryptocurrencies are not. Probably 99% of cryptocurrency holders are good, law abiding citizens.
If a cryptocurrency is declared, investors holding it will probably dump it. The risk to themselves and families will be too high and impossible to mitigate. There are some variables which increase the power of the regulators and the likelihood of being targeted, for example:
Does an altcoin:
Regulation can also ake an altcoin stronger:
Regulators of particular jurisdictions which maintain the status quo or openly accept BlockChain technology push cryptocurrencies more in the mainstream.
Private forms of public blockchain oversight such as companies which monitor blockchains for illicit activities help regulators and discourage illegal use of cryptos. Others firms rank ICOs (Wings.ai, IcoRating ) and this helps private investors make informed decisions.
Another school of thought considers that all forms of impediments thrown at a cryptocurrency only serve to make it stronger. Cryptocurrencies will evolve and change shape to either outsmart, evade or adopt to regulators. Regulations will act like natural forces which will take the weak out and make the stronger more resilient to outside influences.
Regulators have issues with anonymity, and not privacy, blockchains by default provide privacy, and some cryptos build layers of anonymity on top, this is where regulators are most likely to clash with altcoins. If Altcoins are the new Panama, Governments will do everything in their power to stop their use as illegal tax avoidance vehicles.
Scam Warnings from regulators and rating agencies.
Some governments have issued notices concerning particular cryptocurrencies; this is a sign for investors that such coins need closer scrutiny especially when such announcements target a specific Altcoin rather than the who crypto space.
Investors should take a much deeper look at this altcoin, both because of the regulatory threat itself and the possibility that the altcoin is an outright scam or has MLM (multi-level marketing) or scam like tactics/mechanics.
Centralised / Decentralised Network and Governance
Centralised / Decentralised are attributes not adjectives. Some attribute centralised, to bad and decentralised to good. Given the spirit of liberty and autonomy in the crypto space, this is a common misconception.
These two attributes have both their pros and cons.
Centralization brings the perils of cult figures and centralised points of attack, but they also bring the benefits of better coordination, deployment of resources and central points of contact for support and media.
Centralisation of development could be a threat to currency. For Example, Monero an anonymous crypto-currency has a public spokesperson. In a recent podcast, he statedthat he was worried at times being too much in the limelight. If someone wants to lash out at a certain crypto, the people who are the face of that crypto make prime targets.
deCRED has a decentralised development structure, and this gives it strength regarding towards expanding its functionality, but it is more challenging to integrate code coming from different developers.
Most of Crown Coins developers are anonymous; this gives potential entities who would like to disturb the coin network much less of a clear target. However, it also brings a question mark about the reputation and expertise of the devs. Having said that, they are very accessible through their slack channel.
Centralised / Decentralised Infrastructure.
A lot of Bitcoin mining power is located in China. Miners swarm around cheap sources of electricity. These mining clusters can create weak links in the blockchain as it opens the hashing power up to attack. Especially within jurisdictions vulnerable to state interference and failures of infrastructure points.
Other points of failure include service nodes, master nodes, super nodes, exchanges and other critical infrastructure points which maintain the coins value and the ability of users to exchange the coin or use it.
The Future of Bitcoin or the Altcoin
Investing in cryptocurrency can be done by following the momentum and technical analysis of charts. Does this work? Different people have different levels of success with such strategies, the fundamentals approach to investing has worked for Warren Buffet andthere is no reason why it should not work in for cryptocurrency investors. In addition to fundamental analysis dollar cost averaging is alsoan important investing strategy. Buy low and Sell High!
Tips: Sponsor my addiction to tea and biscuits!
Any comments and help to improve this document would be grealty apprciated.
AD: Want to learn more about cryptocurrenciestry: Cryptoversity
Go here to read the rest:
CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ...
- Poll Shows Crypto Investors Expect ChainLink To Be Top Performing Altcoin in 2020 - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- These 4 Factors Suggest the Altcoin Crypto Market Rally is Only Just Beginning - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- Is This The Return Of The Altseason? Pumped Up Altcoins Leave Bitcoin In The Wind - ZyCrypto - January 14th, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Cooperative Warns Public Against Apparent Hard Fork Scam - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- South Korea: Hacked Crypto Exchange Upbit Finally Resumes ETH Deposits and Withdrawals - BTCMANAGER - January 14th, 2020
- Cobinhood is the Latest Altcoin Exchange to Shut Down - NullTX - January 12th, 2020
- Litecoin Gains 10% Against The Dollar, Is This The Start of an Altcoin Rally? - newsBTC - January 12th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers At $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 12th, 2020
- More Altcoin Mining to be Integrated by Mining Pools in 2020 - Report - Cryptonews - January 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Monero hashrate mainly concentrated in Europe - AMBCrypto - January 10th, 2020
- 4 Signs the Cryptocurrency Altcoin Market May Have Finally Bottomed - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- All 4 Past Januaries Started A Different Altcoin Trend, Will January 2020 Ignite a New Altcoin Season? - CryptoPotato - January 10th, 2020
- Dead Crypto Projects Declined in 2019, Are Altcoins Reviving? - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Stellar jumps 8% as Bitcoin taps $8,000; what will push XLM even higher? - CryptoSlate - January 10th, 2020
- Chainlink and Loopring Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - January 10th, 2020
- Upbit Exchange to Re-Open XRP, LTC and EOS Trading - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Tether, The Worlds First Successful Stablecoin - BTCMANAGER - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Altcoins Rally Means for Where the Crypto Markets are Heading Next - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Momentum Within Altcoin Market Could Spark Massive XRP Rally, But Will it Be Sustainable? - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- This Small-Cap Altcoin Is Quietly up Over 50% in the Last 2 Days - SludgeFeed - January 5th, 2020
- ElectraPay is Another Altcoin Payment Solution no one Really Needs - The Merkle Hash - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: Price Remains Unmoved as Users clamor for Altcoin Revolution ... - TWJ Crypto - January 5th, 2020
- 2019: Alt-Season has comeand gone - Where is altcoin heading in 2020? - FXStreet - December 30th, 2019
- Ethereum, XRP, and BCH: Why Traders are Optimistic on Altcoin Market - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: Which Crypto Assets Will Survive Another Year - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- XRP, Bitcoin are the most bought coins on Coinbase - AMBCrypto - December 30th, 2019
- Heres Why XRP Price Could Soon Burst 60% Higher - Ethereum World News - December 30th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Coin Rivet - December 27th, 2019
- Privacy-Focused and Privacy Centric Blockchains - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- NULS Hacked. $480 Worth of NULS Token Stolen - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Altcoins bubble on the way, crypto market cap may reach $11 trillion by 2023 - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Litecoin price prediction 2020: can it become the best-performing altcoin of the coming decade? - Capital.com - December 24th, 2019
- 2019: The Year in Altcoins, and the Year Ahead - Finance Magnates - December 24th, 2019
- XRP is Down 95% from Its 2018 Peak; Whats Next for the Embattled Crypto? - newsBTC - December 22nd, 2019
- BitGo Will Comply with FATF - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 22nd, 2019
- Why Have Altcoins Slumped Back to Crypto Winter Levels? - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Diary: Long BTC From $6.5K and Back in Altcoin Positions - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- LTC, XTZ, TRX, and XLM Crypto Price Prediction: Will Altcoins Test Key Resistance Levels? - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Can Ethereum (ETH) And Other Altcoins Still See A Rise In Dominance? - Crypto Daily - December 21st, 2019
- Orchid Launches on Coinbase and Sees 200%+ Gain - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ripple Raises $200M, Calls 2019 Its Strongest Year of Growth - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- Pionex and Dash are Now Partners - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ether Price Targets $160 as Altcoins Rally and BTC Trades Sideways - Cointelegraph - December 13th, 2019
- Ether Eyes $160 As BTC Oscillates And Altcoins Rally - - CryptoVibes - December 13th, 2019
- Whats the outlook for Litecoin in 2020? - Coin Rivet - December 13th, 2019
- Ethereum Classic is the Top Altcoin in Daily Active Addresses, Heres Why - Coingape - December 13th, 2019
- Nike Shoes and Ethereum? Why Not - Altcoin Buzz - December 13th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin auto-MATIC carnage - FXStreet - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoin Meltdown Intensifies as Tezos, Ravencoin, VeChain Take the Plunge - CCN.com - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoins: Could This Be the End of Tokens? - CoinCodex - December 11th, 2019
- Latest Litecoin price and analysis (LTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - December 11th, 2019
- Bitrefill and Bitfinex Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 6th, 2019
- Altcoin apocalypse XRP, Bitcoin Cash and ZEC over 90% removed from ATH - Born2Invest - December 5th, 2019
- Which Major Altcoins Will Still Be Top Ranking Long Term? A Historical Review of the Altcoin Market's Past Perhaps Provides Clues Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin... - December 4th, 2019
- XRP Added to Japanese Altcoin Market by BitFlyer - The Coin Republic - December 4th, 2019
- The Worst Is Yet To Come For Altcoin Market Cap - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: The Number of Dying Crypto Currencies Is Rising - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Dominance Steadily Increases While Bitcoin Takes a Dive - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- Learn The Basics of Masternode Investments: An Exclusive Interview with Iakov Trevor Levin of Midas - Coinfomania - December 2nd, 2019
- How to Beat Bitcoin With Altcoins (Using the BMJ Crypto Portfolio Optimization Tool) - Bitcoin Market Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Massively Successful: That is What Electroneum Wants To Be - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Google a Threat to Bitcoin? Community Disagrees - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Heres How Much of Each Major Altcoin Is Owned by Whales - BeInCrypto - November 21st, 2019
- Altcoin Volatility Rising, But Alt Season Wont Arrive Until Bitcoin Volume Returns - newsBTC - November 21st, 2019
- What will it take for a Litecoin bull run in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - November 21st, 2019
- Crypto Analyst: Ethereum, XRP and Altcoins Poised for Major Rally As Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Drops - The Daily Hodl - November 18th, 2019
- Bye-Bye Bitcoin? Why the Altcoin Bottom is In - newsBTC - November 18th, 2019
- Proof of Stake Creator: Bitcoin Unlikely to Dominate Altcoins in Long Run - Ethereum World News - November 18th, 2019
- Best Bitcoin/Altcoin Wallets For iPhone [2019 Edition] - October 1st, 2019
- Crypto Conundrum: Bullish Bitcoin Price Action Halts Altcoin ... - April 24th, 2019
- Altcoin Season 2019 Thrives: Everex (EVX) Leading Binance ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is an Altcoin? - CCN - February 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Trader South Africa - ice3x Altcoin Exchange ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Altcointrader.co.za Review - Altcoin Trader, Login ... - January 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 5: A Wild Altcoin Appears - Bitcoin News - January 9th, 2019
- Latest News on Altcoin | Altcoin Breaking News | DC Forecasts - January 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Daily Preview: Tron (TRX) Could Bounce back ... - January 9th, 2019
- Most promising Altcoins and ... - Captain Altcoin - January 8th, 2019
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018