How to perform your own due-diligencebefore investing in CryptoCurrencies?
One key lesson from Jim Rogers on investing is to do your own thinking. This article will help you understand cryptocurrencies. If you are an altcoin investor (An Altcoin is a cryptocurrency which is not Bitcoin), fundamental analysis will help you choose the ones with long-term potential.
All investments have pros and cons. A Cryptocurrency investor needs to look for the cons first, as some are definite deal breakers. If they exist, it is not worth investing more time in researching the crypto-currency.
Finding the right information about Crypto-Currencies is challenging because:
What are the core reasons to invest in an Altcoin?
The fundamental reason for a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin or an Altcoin to exist is to serve its users, the only reason why users will engage with an altcoin is, if it is solving a problem they have. Some Altcoins promise to solve problems we did not know we had, for example, LBRY is creating a pay-to-view content system, while others such as Crown Coin, Dash and deCRED are variants of Bitcoin. They are solving the same key problemin different ways. An investor needs to predict who will be the best at it.
Others like EDC and iEx.ec are bringing blockchain or decentralisation to problems which have been addressed by centralised solutions. For an Altcoin to have the wind blowing in its sails, it needs to get the very basic core mission both right the functionally, the context and the timing right.
Branding, Marketing and Visibility:
If they do not know about you, you do not exist.
Marketing is everything. Without knowing about a solution, how can that solution be applied to a users problems? Marketing is about informing the market of the solution.
Branding is about the trust between the Cryptocurrency and its potential investors first; actual users usually will come in later. A hyperinflation ultimately occurs because the users of a currency lose trust in it, but the inverse is also true. Hyper re-valuations (Manias?) occur when many new investors want to buy in the belief that the actual users will come in later.
Re-branding is not an uncommon thing in the crypto space, as an altcoin goes through periods of maturation so does its brand image. Frequent re-brandings are a sign of frequent changes of strategy (or trying to hide something). Frequentand recent re-brands throughout an Altcoins life are not a good indication of future strategic decisions.
Positive mentions in crypto-media outlets such as Cointelegraph.com, CryptoCoinsNews.com and Altcoin Reviews all add credibility to Altcoin when discussed in positive terms.
More street cred is accumulated when the media mentions are outside of the crypto universe. Editorials and articles in Forbes, Bloomberg, Nasdaq add more authority and credibility to an Altcoin. Coverage in general newspapers and news media are indicators of mainstream interest.
Altcoin Social ProofHow many other investors/users believe in the project?
This is one of the most important metrics to evaluate a cryptocurrency as it is the results of all the other metrics combined.
Coin market cap or the total value of a crypto-coin is also a form of social proof. The total value of a coin is the result of investors voting with their wallets for the coin or against.
Cryptocurrency developers and spoke persons, give a face to the project, they consolidate information and can be the champions and evangelists. Spreading the idea and solution to the masses. Any U-turn by these coin champions can have serious adverse effects on the coins value. These spokespeople become key influencers because naive investors delegate their thinking to them.
When high profile coin spokespersons jump from one bandwagon to other many investors could follow and the results could be cataclysmic.
Altcoin development team and technology
The core value of any project is the functionality of the coin. (and how many people know about it and trust it)
Bitcoin has proven itself over and over again, although many have sung to its obituary. Most Altcoins have either modified the Bitcoins block chain code or created an entirely new blockchain tech.
New technologies bring new risks. For example, the now famous DAO hack was the product of a bug in a new smart contract technology. Such breakages in the technology can have different impacts. The DAO was destroyed, but in other instances, it serves as a resilience exercise.
In general when something in the cryptocurrency ecosystem breaks down it does not help the cryptocurrency investor as mainstream adoption is postponed with each of these negative events.
Price, Market and Exchanges
AD: Want to learn more about cryptocurrenciestry: Cryptoversity
Altcoin pumping and dumping:
Altcoins usually have a core following which are true believers in the project. These believers are a mix of the founders, developers and those with a vested interested in seeing this coin flourish either ideologically, or for monetary reasons. These groups will promote the pros and try to find solutions to the cons.
There will be other groups who market more the disadvantages of a specific coin over the advantages. This group will be made up of believers in the competing coins and those who missed out on the ICO or buying the coin at lower prices.
Some pumps are focused around a certain new feature being released others can be more structural such as regulation changes, a breakdown or an increase in the competition.
Trying to follow the pumps and dumps is the job of the market makers and the day traders. Other investors choose, not to roll with that roller coaster and focus on the long term fundamentals of the cryptos.
Malicious market makers, pump and dump coins while they skim money from both the greedy investor and the fearful investor. The pumps take placethrough a hype, promises and fear of losing out.
Some pumps are phenomenal for example between Jan and Feb 2017 Dash doubled in price. Such a rise in price needs to be sustained to be of any value to the buy and hold crypto investor. If the prices go up and then comes crashing down, investor confidence erodes each time this takes place.
Can the price of a crypto-currency be manipulated easily by external agents intent on causing harm? This question is more important in the future than today, when investors will be able to invest in cryptocurrency ETFs. When these are approved by the SEC, these ETFs can be used to do naked short selling. This system allows speculators to bet on the downside of a coin, this is done without owning any of the actual coins hence the term naked.
The economics of an altcoin, determine the supply side of the coin. Coin founders amount to the FED of that specific coin, their behaviour needs to be scrutinised as much as that of any central banker!
Within the history of an altcoin, investors can potentially find the virtues, tantrums and the seeds of greatness or otherwise. To go into an Altcoins history,investors need to define what is an Altcoin first.
To me, an Altcoin encompasses the mindset of the founders, the whitepaper, the connection and interaction between the market and the Altcoin developers.
Some Altcoins are scam coins by design, others have good intentions but are implemented badly or too weakly, or the competition is too overwhelming. The past is no guarantee of the future, but the futures foundations are laid down in the past.
Crypto-Currency Regulation challenges
Regulators have the power to destroy the viability of a cryptocurrency overnight, at least within their own borders. Indeed cryptocurrencies are somewhat resilient to such an attack because of their decentralised design. However, the owners of such cryptocurrencies are not. Probably 99% of cryptocurrency holders are good, law abiding citizens.
If a cryptocurrency is declared, investors holding it will probably dump it. The risk to themselves and families will be too high and impossible to mitigate. There are some variables which increase the power of the regulators and the likelihood of being targeted, for example:
Does an altcoin:
Regulation can also ake an altcoin stronger:
Regulators of particular jurisdictions which maintain the status quo or openly accept BlockChain technology push cryptocurrencies more in the mainstream.
Private forms of public blockchain oversight such as companies which monitor blockchains for illicit activities help regulators and discourage illegal use of cryptos. Others firms rank ICOs (Wings.ai, IcoRating ) and this helps private investors make informed decisions.
Another school of thought considers that all forms of impediments thrown at a cryptocurrency only serve to make it stronger. Cryptocurrencies will evolve and change shape to either outsmart, evade or adopt to regulators. Regulations will act like natural forces which will take the weak out and make the stronger more resilient to outside influences.
Regulators have issues with anonymity, and not privacy, blockchains by default provide privacy, and some cryptos build layers of anonymity on top, this is where regulators are most likely to clash with altcoins. If Altcoins are the new Panama, Governments will do everything in their power to stop their use as illegal tax avoidance vehicles.
Scam Warnings from regulators and rating agencies.
Some governments have issued notices concerning particular cryptocurrencies; this is a sign for investors that such coins need closer scrutiny especially when such announcements target a specific Altcoin rather than the who crypto space.
Investors should take a much deeper look at this altcoin, both because of the regulatory threat itself and the possibility that the altcoin is an outright scam or has MLM (multi-level marketing) or scam like tactics/mechanics.
Centralised / Decentralised Network and Governance
Centralised / Decentralised are attributes not adjectives. Some attribute centralised, to bad and decentralised to good. Given the spirit of liberty and autonomy in the crypto space, this is a common misconception.
These two attributes have both their pros and cons.
Centralization brings the perils of cult figures and centralised points of attack, but they also bring the benefits of better coordination, deployment of resources and central points of contact for support and media.
Centralisation of development could be a threat to currency. For Example, Monero an anonymous crypto-currency has a public spokesperson. In a recent podcast, he statedthat he was worried at times being too much in the limelight. If someone wants to lash out at a certain crypto, the people who are the face of that crypto make prime targets.
deCRED has a decentralised development structure, and this gives it strength regarding towards expanding its functionality, but it is more challenging to integrate code coming from different developers.
Most of Crown Coins developers are anonymous; this gives potential entities who would like to disturb the coin network much less of a clear target. However, it also brings a question mark about the reputation and expertise of the devs. Having said that, they are very accessible through their slack channel.
Centralised / Decentralised Infrastructure.
A lot of Bitcoin mining power is located in China. Miners swarm around cheap sources of electricity. These mining clusters can create weak links in the blockchain as it opens the hashing power up to attack. Especially within jurisdictions vulnerable to state interference and failures of infrastructure points.
Other points of failure include service nodes, master nodes, super nodes, exchanges and other critical infrastructure points which maintain the coins value and the ability of users to exchange the coin or use it.
The Future of Bitcoin or the Altcoin
Investing in cryptocurrency can be done by following the momentum and technical analysis of charts. Does this work? Different people have different levels of success with such strategies, the fundamentals approach to investing has worked for Warren Buffet andthere is no reason why it should not work in for cryptocurrency investors. In addition to fundamental analysis dollar cost averaging is alsoan important investing strategy. Buy low and Sell High!
Tips: Sponsor my addiction to tea and biscuits!
Any comments and help to improve this document would be grealty apprciated.
AD: Want to learn more about cryptocurrenciestry: Cryptoversity
Go here to read the rest:
CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ...
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020