The past two years have been brutal for the majority of altcoins to say the least. One statistic has been positive however, and that is fewer crypto projects died in 2019 than in 2018.
Bitcoin was the clear king of the crop in terms of performance during 2019. Only a handful of altcoins such as Binance Coin, Tezos, Chainlink and HT managed to surpass it in terms of gains.
New research by LongHash has revealed that as bad as last year was, 20% fewer crypto projects bit the digital dust compared to 2018.
The study delved into DeadCoins.com which has collated data on 1,840 crypto projects that have died since September 2017.
According to its data, there were 518 blockchain project demises in 2019 which is down from the 647 crypto projects which became a memory in 2018.
The determination of a death is derived by categorizing cryptos as Deceased, Hack, Scam or Parody. The majority of projects it deemed dead fell into the scam category, and of those there have been quite a few. Almost 60% of dead projects were alleged to be scams for both years running.
The research added that most blockchain projects died in the first quarter of 2019, during the cold the depths of crypto winter. A total of 283 projects dissolved in Q1 accounting for more than half of the years total deaths.
Markets began to rally in Q2 2019 which would explain why the number of project deaths dwindled then and for the rest of the year.
Further research revealed that the number of new blockchain projects has sharply declined since 2017, as scammers turns to other means of extorting people and weak projects perish.
Another measure of death for an altcoin, especially in terms of price or tradability, would be its volume or liquidity.
Bitcoinist recently reported that as many as 95% of current altcoins have pretty much no liquidity which could also spell death for many of them. Only the top twenty or so have any tradable volume.
Looking at CMC at the moment, VeChain is the 20th token when ordered by volume discounting stablecoins. It only has a mere $80,000 in daily volume which is testament to low liquidity across the altcoins.
Taking these two findings into account the next altseason seems to be a long way off indeed, if there is even to be one at all. LongHash added that there are likely to me many more project deaths this year as 2018s ICOs run out of steam.
Additionally, bitcoin continues to dominate as its market share tops 70% again, leaving the rest of the cryptosphere shrinking at its mercy.
Will altcoins ever recover again? Add your comments below.
Images via Shutterstock
View original post here:
Dead Crypto Projects Declined in 2019, Are Altcoins Reviving? - Bitcoinist
- Its almost impossible for Bitcoin to be supplanted by an altcoin; heres why - CryptoSlate - March 30th, 2020
- These Five Altcoins Have Emerged As Most Preferred Alternative Crypto Assets - ZyCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Waves, Augur and Ethereum price: Bearish channel persists as optimism hovers - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Dash, NEM and Bitcoin Cash price: Altcoins recover post breakdown - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Cosmos, DigiByte and Bitcoin SV price: will the alts fight back? - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Ripple, Binance and Gemini Get Exemption In Singapore - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - March 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance Could Soar to 90% amid Economic Crisis, Crashing Altcoin Market - newsBTC - March 27th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple: Altcoin segment Houston, we have a problem - FXStreet - March 27th, 2020
- Litecoin Could See Another Price Crash Soon, Will Bitcoin Follow? - Bitcoinist - March 27th, 2020
- CoinDCX Raises $3 Million - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - March 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Business Gurus of Crypto - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ether, and XRP Weekly Market Update March 23, 2020 - BTCMANAGER - March 23rd, 2020
- One Altcoin Is Pumping Amidst the Red Crypto Market - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - March 22nd, 2020
- This Altcoin Surged 80% in Three Weeks Amid Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Market Reversal - The Daily Hodl - March 22nd, 2020
- Tether Now on Bitcoin Cash Network - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - March 22nd, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Don't Be Misled by Red... - Bitcoin Magazine - March 22nd, 2020
- Litecoin, Tezos and Chainlink nosedive as the altcoin season rocket ship loses lift - FXStreet - March 17th, 2020
- Huge Panic Grips Crypto Market: Ethereum, XRP and Other Altcoins Fall by... - Coinspeaker - March 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin vs Altcoins: Which One Stands as an Investment Option? - CryptoNewsZ - March 17th, 2020
- IOTA (MIOTA) Price Analysis: IOTA Regains $0.10 Mark With Signs Of Market Recovery - The Coin Republic - March 17th, 2020
- Which are the top altcoins VS Bitcoin in Q1 2020? - Toshi Times - March 4th, 2020
- Another Bitcoin ETF Application Dismissed by SEC - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - March 4th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token (BAT) Price Analysis: BAT Looking Strong For Bullish Rally Again - The Coin Republic - March 4th, 2020
- Rising Bitcoin dominance may spell the end for altcoin crypto market rally for now - CryptoSlate - March 2nd, 2020
- This Top Altcoin is the Only Survivor of Today's Red Market - Bitcoinist - March 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst Says This Altcoin Just Turned Mega Bullish Heres Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Reap the Rewards - The Daily Hodl - March 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) And Other Altcoins Risk Massive Capital Flight - Crypto Daily - March 2nd, 2020
- Coins that Pump in the Bitcoin Crash Week Which and Why? - TWJ News - March 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Bulls Are Quickly Losing Momentum, Is This It For Altcoins? - Crypto Daily - March 2nd, 2020
- S&P 500's decline makes it chart look like that of illiquid altcoins - iNVEZZ - March 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price Crash and its effect on Altcoins, Ripple, and IOTA course of the analysis, Litecoin to more than 13000 ATMs available & Bitcoin on... - March 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ether, and XRP Weekly Market Update: March 2, 2020 - BTCMANAGER - March 2nd, 2020
- This Crypto is Positioned for an Insane Rally as it Reaches Key Resistance - Ethereum World News - February 24th, 2020
- 5-year altcoin exchange says goodbye: It will close in 10 days - Somag News - February 24th, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Evil Whales Behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and Altcoin Market Rallies in 2020 - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Past Crypto Cycle Highlights Altcoin Underperformance, But Perfect Storm is Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Crypto Strategists: This Forgotten Altcoin Just Left the Launch Pad and Is Ready to Take Flight - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Pullback Crashing Altcoins Is This End of Altcoin Season? - U.Today - February 23rd, 2020
- Why TRON, XRP, and Cardano (ADA) just plunged 12% in a severe altcoin correction - CryptoSlate - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Dips 33% amid Altcoin Season Bust and More Losses are Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Here's Why Even as a Bitcoiner you Shouldn't Ignore Ethereum - Bitcoinist - February 23rd, 2020
- Bit-comment: Bitcoin does not keep up with the altcoin''s rebound - MENAFN.COM - February 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum max out till date - BTC Wires - February 23rd, 2020
- Heres Why Litecoin Is Leading The Rise Of Altcoin Dominance - ZyCrypto - February 23rd, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Warns of XRP Crash to $0.20 as Price Stumbles - Ethereum World News - February 23rd, 2020
- Altcoin Dominance Rising: Ethereum Leads, XRP and Litecoin Lag - Crypto Briefing - February 13th, 2020
- Crypto Market Has All Signs of an Explosive Altcoin Season Brewing - newsBTC - February 13th, 2020
- Ethereum Price (ETH) Has Surged 92% in 2020 With Targets Set on $300 - Cointelegraph - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoins Continue to Roar Higher as Bitcoin Consolidates Above $10,000 - Blockonomi - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Kyber Network, the On-Chain Liquidity Protocol Leading the DeFi Sector - BTCMANAGER - February 13th, 2020
- The Insolar (INS) Dilemma - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- North Korea is Mining Even More Monero - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance Could Cause Catastrophic Ending to Current Altcoin Season - newsBTC - February 10th, 2020
- Why these 3 altcoins are outperforming the rest this year - Micky News - February 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Emerges Victorious in Altcoin Twitter Ring Fight Against IOTA, Cardano, and Tron - ZyCrypto - February 10th, 2020
- Three Crypto Assets Surged More Than 175%, Beating Bitcoin, As Altcoin Market Exploded in January - The Daily Hodl - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin vs. Altcoins: Which Will Make You More Money in 2020? - Bitcoinist - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin bull trend approaches 10K as altcoin season is a reality - FXStreet - February 6th, 2020
- Alt Season Cancelled: XRP, Ethereum, and Litecoin All Trigger Sell Signal - newsBTC - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin Falls Back While Stocks and Altcoins Surge Ahead - Live Bitcoin News - February 6th, 2020
- MIT Spider and Off-Chain Payments - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoins Dominance is at a Critical Level That Could Determine the Fate of Altcoins - Ethereum World News - February 6th, 2020
- Global Altcoin Breakout Could Usher Return of Alt Season Crypto Riches - newsBTC - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin is the Hotmail of Crypto, and the Real Sh*tcoin: John McAfee - CCN.com - February 4th, 2020
- Crypto Regulation? Andrew Yang Says YES - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 4th, 2020
- After Sinking 97%, This Altcoin Just Woke Up with a 23% Surge - CCN.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Nearly $6,000,000,000 Ready to Move Into Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP and Altcoin Markets: Crypto Analyst Mati Greenspan - The Daily Hodl - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Last Years Top Crypto Market Performers Are Lagging Behind Altcoins in 2020 - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Watch Out Bears: These Altcoins Are on The Cusp of an Insane Rally - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Why The Cardano Price Raise Can Be Attributed To Mere Speculation? - The Coin Republic - February 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Update: Ethereum Breaks Long-Term Trendline With Bulls Still In Control - Hacked - February 2nd, 2020
- Altcoin season or end of the game? - MENAFN.COM - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- This Class of Once Hyped Altcoins Is Headed To Zero - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Altcoins on Track to Plunge By 10%, Yet This Crypto Could Rally Higher - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Today: Bitcoin and major altcoins retreat from recent highs, still strong in the long run - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Great But Investing in Altcoins Has More Potential Than You Can Imagine - Investorplace.com - January 29th, 2020
- Elon Musk Finally Reveals What He Thinks about Bitcoin - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dips $300 And Recovers As Altcoins Continue The Mini-Season: Wednesday Market Watch - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020