For the second time in two weeks, Ether price (ETH) has notched a new 2020 high. This time the surge from $217.83 to $253.79 occurred as Bitcoins (BTC) price reversed course from $9,700s and rallied to a new high at $10,346.83.
As Bitcoin rallied on Feb. 12, many altcoins pulled back in their BTC pairs but Ether succeeded in holding on to its gains and currently registers a 14.3% gain.
Crypto market daily price chart. Source: Coin360
Generally, investors are feeling bullish about the crypto markets future prospects. But while Bitcoin appears set for continuation higher, news that the scammers behind the PlusToken crypto Ponzi scheme transferred 12,423 BTC to new wallet address is sure to raise an eyebrow with some investors.
PeckShield Inc. co-founder and VP of research, Chiachih Wu said that the coins were likely deposited to a series of cold wallet addresses and Twitter user Sue Zhu explained that:
Plus Token coins are on the move again, but more importantly, are now being split into smaller amounts vs the single output transfers from a few hours ago.
While investors should try and not be too heavily impacted by random news from Twitter, in 2019 the PlusToken scammers regularly liquidated massive amounts of Bitcoin and Ether on spot exchanges, causing the price to drop significantly.
2020 crypto market price chart. Source: Coin360
All FUD aside, the market is in a strong bullish trend with large and small-cap cryptocurrencies producing impressive gains. Since the start of 2020, Bitcoins value has risen by 47.86%, Ether gained 92.39% and XRP has rebounded with a 53.29% gain.
Ether price as % of Bitcoin price chart. Source: Skew Analytics
Data from Skew Markets also shows that Ethers price as a percentage of Bitcoin price recently rising to 2.3%, a high not seen since July 2019 when the percentage was around 2.5% and ETH traded for $364.
Lets take a look at the charts to see what might be next for Ether.
The bulls continue to press Ether price higher allow the altcoin to reach the first take profit (TP) level at $240, which was the target focused on in the previous analysis.
Traders are now focused on setting a higher high above $270 but the volume gap on the volume profile visible range (VPVR) shows that its entirely possible for Ether to rally to $280 on a high volume spike. Despite this possibility, a TP target has been set at $270.
ETH USD daily chart. Source: TradingView
Traders will notice an impending golden cross between the 200-day and 50-day moving average on the daily time frame. Typically the 50-MA converging with the 200-MA is interpreted as a strong buy signal by investors.
In the event that Ether is able to continue to $270, TP is at $300 which is right below a high volume node on the VPVR.
Currently, the relative strength index (RSI) is rising to 84 which is in the overbought zone and the moving average convergence divergence, or MACD, continues to rise higher as the histogram shows an increase in momentum.
On the shorter timeframe, we can see that purchasing volume continues to increase and the set up for Ether remains bullish.
ETH USD 6-hour chart. Source: TradingView
At some point traders will take profit, leading larger-cap cryptos like Bitcoin and Ether to lose some momentum over the short-term. Such a pause would likely lead Ether price to revisit the 23.6% Fibonacci retracement at $227. This point aligns with the support at $230, the Bollinger Band indicators moving average and a high volume node on the VPVR.
Below this level, there appears to be strong support at $226 and $222. If the price drops below the lower Bollinger Band arm ($210.66) then a drop to the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement at $191.77 could occur but given the technical strength of Bitcoin and Ethers recent moves, this seems an unlikely scenario.
ETHBTC daily chart. Source: TradingView
The ETH/BTC pair has also been on a tear lately, with the 50 and 200-MA on the verge of a golden cross and the price looks ready to extend to 0.02530 satoshis.
Similar to the ETH/USD pair, a pullback in Ether price would prompt traders to anticipate a bounce at the 23.6% Fibonacci retracement 0.02241 satoshis and below this the VPVR show strong interest and support at 0.02162 satoshis.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
- Its almost impossible for Bitcoin to be supplanted by an altcoin; heres why - CryptoSlate - March 30th, 2020
- These Five Altcoins Have Emerged As Most Preferred Alternative Crypto Assets - ZyCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Waves, Augur and Ethereum price: Bearish channel persists as optimism hovers - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Dash, NEM and Bitcoin Cash price: Altcoins recover post breakdown - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Cosmos, DigiByte and Bitcoin SV price: will the alts fight back? - AMBCrypto - March 30th, 2020
- Ripple, Binance and Gemini Get Exemption In Singapore - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - March 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance Could Soar to 90% amid Economic Crisis, Crashing Altcoin Market - newsBTC - March 27th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple: Altcoin segment Houston, we have a problem - FXStreet - March 27th, 2020
- Litecoin Could See Another Price Crash Soon, Will Bitcoin Follow? - Bitcoinist - March 27th, 2020
- CoinDCX Raises $3 Million - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - March 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Business Gurus of Crypto - Bitcoin & Crypto Guide - Altcoin Buzz - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ether, and XRP Weekly Market Update March 23, 2020 - BTCMANAGER - March 23rd, 2020
- One Altcoin Is Pumping Amidst the Red Crypto Market - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - March 22nd, 2020
- This Altcoin Surged 80% in Three Weeks Amid Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Market Reversal - The Daily Hodl - March 22nd, 2020
- Tether Now on Bitcoin Cash Network - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - March 22nd, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Don't Be Misled by Red... - Bitcoin Magazine - March 22nd, 2020
- Litecoin, Tezos and Chainlink nosedive as the altcoin season rocket ship loses lift - FXStreet - March 17th, 2020
- Huge Panic Grips Crypto Market: Ethereum, XRP and Other Altcoins Fall by... - Coinspeaker - March 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin vs Altcoins: Which One Stands as an Investment Option? - CryptoNewsZ - March 17th, 2020
- IOTA (MIOTA) Price Analysis: IOTA Regains $0.10 Mark With Signs Of Market Recovery - The Coin Republic - March 17th, 2020
- Which are the top altcoins VS Bitcoin in Q1 2020? - Toshi Times - March 4th, 2020
- Another Bitcoin ETF Application Dismissed by SEC - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - March 4th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token (BAT) Price Analysis: BAT Looking Strong For Bullish Rally Again - The Coin Republic - March 4th, 2020
- Rising Bitcoin dominance may spell the end for altcoin crypto market rally for now - CryptoSlate - March 2nd, 2020
- This Top Altcoin is the Only Survivor of Today's Red Market - Bitcoinist - March 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst Says This Altcoin Just Turned Mega Bullish Heres Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Reap the Rewards - The Daily Hodl - March 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) And Other Altcoins Risk Massive Capital Flight - Crypto Daily - March 2nd, 2020
- Coins that Pump in the Bitcoin Crash Week Which and Why? - TWJ News - March 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Bulls Are Quickly Losing Momentum, Is This It For Altcoins? - Crypto Daily - March 2nd, 2020
- S&P 500's decline makes it chart look like that of illiquid altcoins - iNVEZZ - March 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price Crash and its effect on Altcoins, Ripple, and IOTA course of the analysis, Litecoin to more than 13000 ATMs available & Bitcoin on... - March 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ether, and XRP Weekly Market Update: March 2, 2020 - BTCMANAGER - March 2nd, 2020
- This Crypto is Positioned for an Insane Rally as it Reaches Key Resistance - Ethereum World News - February 24th, 2020
- 5-year altcoin exchange says goodbye: It will close in 10 days - Somag News - February 24th, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Evil Whales Behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and Altcoin Market Rallies in 2020 - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Past Crypto Cycle Highlights Altcoin Underperformance, But Perfect Storm is Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Crypto Strategists: This Forgotten Altcoin Just Left the Launch Pad and Is Ready to Take Flight - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Pullback Crashing Altcoins Is This End of Altcoin Season? - U.Today - February 23rd, 2020
- Why TRON, XRP, and Cardano (ADA) just plunged 12% in a severe altcoin correction - CryptoSlate - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Dips 33% amid Altcoin Season Bust and More Losses are Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Here's Why Even as a Bitcoiner you Shouldn't Ignore Ethereum - Bitcoinist - February 23rd, 2020
- Bit-comment: Bitcoin does not keep up with the altcoin''s rebound - MENAFN.COM - February 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum max out till date - BTC Wires - February 23rd, 2020
- Heres Why Litecoin Is Leading The Rise Of Altcoin Dominance - ZyCrypto - February 23rd, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Warns of XRP Crash to $0.20 as Price Stumbles - Ethereum World News - February 23rd, 2020
- Altcoin Dominance Rising: Ethereum Leads, XRP and Litecoin Lag - Crypto Briefing - February 13th, 2020
- Crypto Market Has All Signs of an Explosive Altcoin Season Brewing - newsBTC - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoins Continue to Roar Higher as Bitcoin Consolidates Above $10,000 - Blockonomi - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Kyber Network, the On-Chain Liquidity Protocol Leading the DeFi Sector - BTCMANAGER - February 13th, 2020
- The Insolar (INS) Dilemma - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- North Korea is Mining Even More Monero - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance Could Cause Catastrophic Ending to Current Altcoin Season - newsBTC - February 10th, 2020
- Why these 3 altcoins are outperforming the rest this year - Micky News - February 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Emerges Victorious in Altcoin Twitter Ring Fight Against IOTA, Cardano, and Tron - ZyCrypto - February 10th, 2020
- Three Crypto Assets Surged More Than 175%, Beating Bitcoin, As Altcoin Market Exploded in January - The Daily Hodl - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin vs. Altcoins: Which Will Make You More Money in 2020? - Bitcoinist - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin bull trend approaches 10K as altcoin season is a reality - FXStreet - February 6th, 2020
- Alt Season Cancelled: XRP, Ethereum, and Litecoin All Trigger Sell Signal - newsBTC - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin Falls Back While Stocks and Altcoins Surge Ahead - Live Bitcoin News - February 6th, 2020
- MIT Spider and Off-Chain Payments - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoins Dominance is at a Critical Level That Could Determine the Fate of Altcoins - Ethereum World News - February 6th, 2020
- Global Altcoin Breakout Could Usher Return of Alt Season Crypto Riches - newsBTC - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin is the Hotmail of Crypto, and the Real Sh*tcoin: John McAfee - CCN.com - February 4th, 2020
- Crypto Regulation? Andrew Yang Says YES - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 4th, 2020
- After Sinking 97%, This Altcoin Just Woke Up with a 23% Surge - CCN.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Nearly $6,000,000,000 Ready to Move Into Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP and Altcoin Markets: Crypto Analyst Mati Greenspan - The Daily Hodl - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Last Years Top Crypto Market Performers Are Lagging Behind Altcoins in 2020 - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Watch Out Bears: These Altcoins Are on The Cusp of an Insane Rally - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Why The Cardano Price Raise Can Be Attributed To Mere Speculation? - The Coin Republic - February 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Update: Ethereum Breaks Long-Term Trendline With Bulls Still In Control - Hacked - February 2nd, 2020
- Altcoin season or end of the game? - MENAFN.COM - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- This Class of Once Hyped Altcoins Is Headed To Zero - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Altcoins on Track to Plunge By 10%, Yet This Crypto Could Rally Higher - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Today: Bitcoin and major altcoins retreat from recent highs, still strong in the long run - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Great But Investing in Altcoins Has More Potential Than You Can Imagine - Investorplace.com - January 29th, 2020
- Elon Musk Finally Reveals What He Thinks about Bitcoin - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dips $300 And Recovers As Altcoins Continue The Mini-Season: Wednesday Market Watch - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020
- EOS Spikes Over 10% Breaking A 4-Month Key Resistance Level, Is Altseason Here Yet? - Coingape - January 29th, 2020