At a glance, it becomes very obvious that the Ledger Nano S is the best bet for if you're an altcoin enthusiast. The Nano S currently supports 26 cryptocurrencies not supported by Trezor or KeepKey.
High market cap coins only supported by the Nano S (and sometimes also the Blue) include Ripple, Stellar, Tron, NEO, VeChain, and Qtum.
If you're interested in securely storing any of the coins that are only supported by the Ledger Nano S, then we'd strongly recommend the Nano S for you.
For those of you who are Bitcoin maximalists or are only interested in coins supported by Trezor devices, this is where things get interesting.
From a user-friendliness standpoint, we favor Trezor's web interface to Ledger's Ledger Live" apps.
While setting up your Trezor device, you'll be prompted to install the "Trezor Bridge". This is a simple application for your computer that will allow your hardware wallet to communicate with the Trezor web wallet interface. Aside from installing the program, you should never even notice it again, so long as you're using the same computer. New computers you want to use will also need to install the bridge.
After setting up the bridge, you'll be able to fully interact with the Trezor web wallet interface. The wallet allows you to seamlessly switch between different supported coin wallets. With the exception of Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, and NEM, you can view your balances, send transactions, and view your addresses for receiving transfers all from this one page.
Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, and NEM are unique in the way they operate. For these cryptocurrencies, Trezor has been integrated with third-party wallets. This means you get all of the security benefits of Trezor but can't use these coins' wallets directly from Trezor's web interface.
With that said, we still find the Trezor's approach to these altcoins more user-friendly than Ledger's app system (which we'll get to just below).
For example, when you click on "Ethereum (ETH)" in the drop-down menu, you'll see the following pop up to use MyEtherWallet or GoCrypto's Ethereum wallet. You can also navigate to these sites directly.
Once at MyEtherWallet, you can select to connect your Trezor device.
After connecting to MyEtherWallet, you can then use your Ethereum addresses to send and receive transactions. Note that you can also use MyEtherWallet in combination with Trezor to store all ERC-20 tokens.
Ledger devices use "Ledger Live", Ledger apps, and some third-party wallet integrations. For those who have used the old Ledger app manager, Ledger live is a big step up for changing between wallets. As the name implies, Ledger Live allows you to view your account balances without having your hardware wallet connected, a feature lacking from Trezor.
What we find most annoying about the Ledger system is the fact that you have to open apps from your device. This means using the hardware every time you want to switch between which wallet apps you're using. While this might sound like a minor inconvenience, it may become super frustrating over time. It's especially cumbersome if you're used to Trezor's seamless switching between wallets.
This shortcoming mostly affects users of the Nano S, as the Blue's touchscreen makes switching between wallets less of a hassle.
All hardware wallets in this guide require users to enter a PIN code to access their device. In a similar vein to the above annoyance, Ledger hardware wallets can be a pain to access. Whereas Trezors have you enter a PIN code on your computer (from an array of numbers shown on the devices), Ledger devices require you to enter your PIN on the hardware itself.
Pin Entry on Ledger Nano S vs Trezor
Again, this is less of an issue for the Ledger Blue, as it's easier to interact with the Blue's touchscreen, compared to the Nano's two button set up.
It's important to note that Ledger's lackluster system is at least partially due to the large number of currencies it supports and its team's dedication to security.
KeepKey uses a simple chrome app for accessing your wallets. While KeepKey boasts even fewer supported cryptocurrencies than Trezor, it offers a pretty great overall user experience for the coins it does support. Unlike the Nano S, we did not have any major frustrations with the KeepKey.
Ledger Nano S
Despite the Ledger Nano S having some annoyances, it's hard to argue this is not the best hardware wallet available. At $99.99, the Nano S is the cheapest hardware wallet while simultaneously offering the most supported cryptocurrencies.
For many, the Nano S is a no brainer just based off of these facts. It's essentially a necessity for altcoin holders, even including popular altcoins like Ripple, Stellar, and Tron.
Even for those who are new to crypto and haven't yet entered into the altcoin waters, you may want to prepare for your seemingly inevitable entry into these markets by opting for the Nano S.
Trezor One & Trezor Model T
The Trezor One (89 ($106) is a tried and true hardware wallet, with a user experience we find better than the Ledger. If you don't need the coin support of Ledgers, then we personally would recommend the Trezor One for this reason. If the roughly $6 difference in price is a deal breaker for you, then you might want to hold off on even purchasing a hardware wallet until you have a larger investment to protect.
Now if you're determined to own a touchscreen hardware wallet, the Model T offers one for about $100 cheaper than the Ledger Blue (~$170 vs $269.99), though it's significantly less pleasing on the eyes. Despite this, it does still offer the touchscreen convenience and slight security benefits while still being able to fit on your keychain.
Two words come to mind when looking at the Ledger Blue: "cool" and "unnecessary". For those crypto ballers out there who don't mind shilling out $269.99 for a hardware wallet with less coin support than it's $99.99 counterpart, we see no reason not to.
That being said, the Blue does function as a very easy-to-use choice that offers more coins than non-ledger competitors.
Originally posted here:
Find The Best Bitcoin, Altcoin, or Multi-Cryptocurrency ...
- Top Analyst Says One Altcoin Massively Undervalued, Goes ... - September 19th, 2020
- A "Tsunami" of Wealth - Investorplace.com - September 19th, 2020
- Heres why 2017 altcoin Aelf (ELF) has surged 100% in the past day - CryptoSlate - September 17th, 2020
- Uniswap Protocol Governance Token (UNI) is Live! - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - September 17th, 2020
- Analyst Nicholas Merten Says One Altcoin Poised to Outperform Bitcoin As Crypto Markets Search for Direction - The Daily Hodl - September 17th, 2020
- Binance Coin surges by ~22%; could it be the Burger talking? - AMBCrypto English - September 17th, 2020
- Linear Finance Token (LINA) Lists on Uniswap! - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - September 17th, 2020
- User who turned $200 in Ethereum into $250k due to altcoin bug comes clean - CryptoSlate - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000, Is The 'Altcoin & DeFi Apocalypse' Over Yet? - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - September 10th, 2020
- YFI Climbs 50% From $18K Low While The Rest Of Crypto Stagnates, But Why? - NewsBTC - September 10th, 2020
- DeFi Exit Scam Alert - $2.5M Moved - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - September 10th, 2020
- BTC and Altcoin Pay is Growing Fast, Says Crypto Payment Firm BitPay - Cryptonews - August 28th, 2020
- This Will Hold Altcoin Until It Reaches $ 100 Thousand - Somag News - August 28th, 2020
- Analyst Explains Anatomy Of An Altcoin Shakeout With BATs Vertical Rally - newsBTC - August 28th, 2020
- The altcoins are really starting to pop - Asia Times - August 26th, 2020
- But why is altcoin trading concentrated mostly in East Asia? - AMBCrypto English - August 26th, 2020
- Altcoins Look Excessively Swollen Compared to Ethereum - Somag News - August 26th, 2020
- 2017s forgotten altcoins ZRX, OMG, and BAT are booming on a DeFi promise - CryptoSlate - August 26th, 2020
- Analyst Explains Anatomy Of An Altcoin Shakeout With BATs Vertical Rally - The Coin Radar - August 26th, 2020
- Cosmos (ATOM) price surges despite most altcoins in the red - Invezz - August 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin 'maximalists' accused of 'shilling' an SEC-cleared token - Cointelegraph - August 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020