The price of Bitcoin (BTC), the top-ranked cryptocurrency by market capitalization, hit the psychological barrier of $10,000 but immediately rejected. Meanwhile, the sentiment is shifting from fear towards greed as the Crypto Fear & Greed Index is now above 50 for the first time in three months.
However, altcoins have been showing weakness across the board. Investors are selling their altcoins to catch the Bitcoin train with the halving now less than three days away.
Crypto market daily performance. Source: Coin360
BTC USDT 12-hour chart. Source: TradingView
Bitcoin is showing strength as the halving is approaching with the hype only increasing by the day. FOMO (fear of missing out) is increasing as well, which makes people eager to step into Bitcoin and the price to rally heavily.
However, is such a rally sustainable, or will this be another case of buy the rumor, sell the news? Based on the previous halving and the previous halvings of Litecoin (LTC), this is entirely possible.
People get intrigued by the hype around the event, as they expect a short-term bullish outcome to occur on the markets, and they start to buy into Bitcoin.
Where can we see that? In general, these movements can be spotted in the altcoin markets. Usually, when Bitcoin sees a big rally, people FOMO into Bitcoin. One such example is Ether (ETH).
ETH BTC 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
While the USD value of Ethereum is remaining relatively stable (as the price has been hovering between $197 and $215 in the past two weeks), the BTC pair is getting absolutely hammered.
But why? Its because people are selling their altcoins to catch up to Bitcoin. Ether has seen a selloff of 20% in the BTC pair in the recent week, while ChainLink (LINK) and Tezos (XTZ) have seen a 30% selloff in the past ten days. Indeed, all selloffs have been seen in the BTC pair while the USD pairs have remained relatively stable.
Interestingly, previous bull market moves have seen similar action. For example, Bitcoins peak price was during December 2017 with a high of $19,700. This was when there was a huge selloff in the BTC pairs of altcoins.
However, just around this time, the altcoins started to bounce heavily and showing strength, resulting in the biggest altseason the market has ever seen. The price of Ether rallied towards $1,300-1,400 in the month after that.
A similar structure is also forming right now. The selloff of altcoins results in low prices enticing investors to jump back into Bitcoin. This is why today when the price of Bitcoin retraced a few hundred dollars, many altcoins bounced such as Chainlink.
LINK BTC 12-hour chart. Source: TradingView
The price of Chainlink lost 30% in value against BTC in the past two weeks while the USD value remained stable. The price retraced to support at 0.00037000 sats and then saw a strong bounce. LINK price jumped by 18% to $4.10, which is a new three-month high.
However, the significance and the moment of the jump are the most important concepts to watch.
The jump occurred the moment that Bitcoin started to retrace. Usually, altcoins fall off a cliff when that happens. But this time altcoins were jumping left and right, while Bitcoin price started to correct.
Another example is shown here, which is Basic Attention Token (BAT).
BAT BTC 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
This is one of the strongest movers in the past two days as the price rallied more than 40% in BTC value. It lost crucial support but then dipped toward the next one and bounced heavily as the chart shows.
This coin also moved the moment that Bitcoin started to retrace. But this isnt strange as its pretty normal to expect these movements across the board. While some are selling altcoins to catch the Bitcoin train, others are selling their BTC in this region to buy up cheap altcoins.
BTC USDT 12-hour chart. Source: TradingView
The bullish scenario is pretty straightforward. The level between $9,250-9,400 has to hold for the current rally to continue.
The next step would be a breakout of the heavy resistance zone between $10,050-10,350. Breaking and flipping this level into support would be a good sign for the bulls. The next targets will then be $10,800 and potentially $11,600-12,000, a level with an open CME gap (from August 2019).
BTC USDT 12-hour chart. Source: TradingView
The bearish scenario shows a clear structure. Assuming that the hype fizzles after the Bitcoin halving next week, a retrace and correction may be inevitable.
However, whether that will happen with a lower high or another top in the $10,050-10,350 area is debatable. A blow-off top could still occur in the resistance area for confirmation of a bearish divergence and potential trend reversal.
This dropdown and retrace should trigger altcoins to start rallying as they are eager to follow Bitcoin. Hence, a breakdown below $9,400 could be a sign for them to start recovering.
Losing the $9,400 level would be a bearish signal for the momentum of Bitcoin, but potentially a bullish signal for altcoins to catch up.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
See the article here:
Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Dogecoin Price Sustaining On $0.0020 Level With Overall Bullish Market - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price holds steady at $42, but analyst warns of a potential correction - Cryptopolitan - April 20th, 2020
- This Surprising Altcoin Dominates Crypto Trading Volume, Second Only to Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - April 14th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Was The Worst-Performing Altcoin In Q1 2020, Report Finds - ZyCrypto - April 14th, 2020
- HTC Exodus to Offer Monero Mining - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - April 14th, 2020
- Litecoin LTC price faces headwind, but gains may be on the horizon - Cryptopolitan - April 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance: 2-Year Uptrend Breaking Could Spark Altcoin Boom - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Could Be Ready to Pop Off, Claims Analyst - newsBTC - April 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Tron continue to rally as uncertainty looms over Decred - AMBCrypto - April 10th, 2020
- XRP Price Hits $0.20 as Over 200M Coins Transferred... - Coinspeaker - April 7th, 2020
- 3 Altcoins To Consider In This Time Of World Crises - ZyCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- How is Bitcoin performing after the crash? Altcoins show promise - AMBCrypto - April 6th, 2020
- When Is The Altcoin Season Kicking Into Gear? - KryptoMoney - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Diamond, QTUM, Binance Coin Price: Altcoins inverted flags fly aloft - AMBCrypto - April 1st, 2020
- Microsoft New Crypto Initiative - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - April 1st, 2020