Aug 15, 2017 at 14:32 // News
Bitcoin Garden, the second altcoin forum in the world, earned its reputation because of the founder, Federico Mercatali aka Secco, who has been in the field of information technology for 12 years, and who joined the Bitcoin community in 2012. Coinidol.com interviewed Secco about his views on the media market and the promotion of Blockchain and cryptocurrencies across the world.
Coinidol: There were different predecessors to Bitcoin, that didn't have such huge commercial success. Why has only Satoshi Nakamoto achieved a revolution, though he is not the first who created cryptocurrency?
Secco: I was late to the Bitcoin party and missed the beginning so I may not be the most qualified professional to talk about it. I see two key points: first, the timing was just perfect. The required technologies were mature and the open source community was large enough to provide a strong base of enthusiastic people willing to contribute. Secondly, and this is what really surprised me, Bitcoin design was almost perfect since the very beginning. It took almost 8 years to come to the point where a redesign is needed to address the block size limit. As we can see in these days, Ethereum took much less to reach a critical point.
CI: Do you consider Bitcoin to be just a kind of share for Bitcoin's blockchain, a bubble that is going bigger or smaller depending on news around it?
Secco: I see Bitcoin as a solid value storage, the most reliable in the cryptocurrency panorama. Besides, its market cap may seem huge but it is tiny compared to other currencies or commodities, an easy target for speculation, thus the high volatility in the short term.
CI: How many news outlets are there in the industry at the moment?
Secco: There are many. At least a dozen of well-established outlets and another dozen mostly covering fintech news and occasionally featuring top cryptocurrency news. Plus there's a high number of YouTube news channels and individual bloggers who indeed provide very high-quality information.
CI: Which one do you consider to be the best among others? Why? Can you name a list of your top 5?
Secco: There are three I like to read because of their unique editorial style and their objective analysis. TheMerkle, CoinIdol and BitcoinCheaser. If asked what the most recognized brands in the industry are, I would say CoinDesk first and CoinTelegraph second.
CI: What is the mission of Bitcoin Garden among other news outlets?
Secco: I consider Bitcoin Garden more of a community than a news outlet. Sure there's a news portal as the front page, and I make it a point to manage it to the best of my abilities, but I think the most valuable info is inside, in the forum. It is still small compared to be BitcoinTalk though almost 1000 altcoin teams have their own thread there, but now, after three years of hard work, numbers are growing at a pretty fast rate. I guess mostly because of the altcoin madness. It is about to become the second altcoin forum in the world, or perhaps it already is. My mission is simple: spreading the crypto revolution. I'm a true supporter of open source and decentralization. I do believe it will significantly improve our idea of society and democracy. The cryptocurrencies are just the tip of the iceberg, I'm confident one day we will have blockchain-based voting systems, fully transparent and fraud-proof.
CI: Do you have a team of professional journalists or are you the one-man-orchestra that is doing everything alone?
Secco: I'm mostly a one-man band. I do have a few collaborators, who occasionally help me with certain tasks, and a number of trusted partners providing quality content, otherwise, I personally follow, review and approve every single article. I rarely delegate important decisions and I know this is a weakness as you can only scale to a certain extent following this model. On the other hand, this allows me to keep doing the things I like to do. Working must be a pleasure. If you end up doing things you don't want to do, it becomes a pain.
CI: How do you measure your results? Money or daily visits?
Secco: The revenue stream is important when running a business but it is not a quality indicator at all. This is especially true in the online media industry. Think of those services that automatically grab content from different sources, generate hundreds of thousands of web pages and put it online flooding the search engines. It is a business that produces millions of pageviews, requires almost no work and pays well but it does not generate any value for the end user. Most of the times it just makes good information harder to find. In the same way, the number of page views just give you an idea of how your site is performing over time but I consider time spent on the website, bounce rate and number of quality comments much better indicators.
CI: What is the best result that Bitcoin Garden has achieved during the time of its existence?
Secco: Many projects have grown and become successful because of the space Bitcoin Garden provided them to share their ideas. I especially like giving space to people who have good ideas but no millionaire funding. This is priceless and makes me proud of the work Ive done until now. The other achievement I am most proud of is having introduced many people to this new world. It's a drop in the sea but it's good to know I gave my contribution.
CI: How do you see the future of the crypto market in 3-5 years?
Secco: Im very optimistic. I think in the next years we will see more development focused on security and usability, bringing a massive expansion of the user base. It's extremely hard to predict what will happen in details to a single coin, a family of coins or a specific technology. There will be winners and losers, new players in the field and dying giants. There could be epic fails and temporary market crashes but I'm certain that this process will produce significant and valuable innovation.
Here is the original post:
One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release)
- Poll Shows Crypto Investors Expect ChainLink To Be Top Performing Altcoin in 2020 - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- These 4 Factors Suggest the Altcoin Crypto Market Rally is Only Just Beginning - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- Is This The Return Of The Altseason? Pumped Up Altcoins Leave Bitcoin In The Wind - ZyCrypto - January 14th, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Cooperative Warns Public Against Apparent Hard Fork Scam - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- South Korea: Hacked Crypto Exchange Upbit Finally Resumes ETH Deposits and Withdrawals - BTCMANAGER - January 14th, 2020
- Cobinhood is the Latest Altcoin Exchange to Shut Down - NullTX - January 12th, 2020
- Litecoin Gains 10% Against The Dollar, Is This The Start of an Altcoin Rally? - newsBTC - January 12th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers At $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 12th, 2020
- More Altcoin Mining to be Integrated by Mining Pools in 2020 - Report - Cryptonews - January 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Monero hashrate mainly concentrated in Europe - AMBCrypto - January 10th, 2020
- 4 Signs the Cryptocurrency Altcoin Market May Have Finally Bottomed - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- All 4 Past Januaries Started A Different Altcoin Trend, Will January 2020 Ignite a New Altcoin Season? - CryptoPotato - January 10th, 2020
- Dead Crypto Projects Declined in 2019, Are Altcoins Reviving? - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Stellar jumps 8% as Bitcoin taps $8,000; what will push XLM even higher? - CryptoSlate - January 10th, 2020
- Chainlink and Loopring Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - January 10th, 2020
- Upbit Exchange to Re-Open XRP, LTC and EOS Trading - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Tether, The Worlds First Successful Stablecoin - BTCMANAGER - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Altcoins Rally Means for Where the Crypto Markets are Heading Next - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Momentum Within Altcoin Market Could Spark Massive XRP Rally, But Will it Be Sustainable? - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- This Small-Cap Altcoin Is Quietly up Over 50% in the Last 2 Days - SludgeFeed - January 5th, 2020
- ElectraPay is Another Altcoin Payment Solution no one Really Needs - The Merkle Hash - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: Price Remains Unmoved as Users clamor for Altcoin Revolution ... - TWJ Crypto - January 5th, 2020
- 2019: Alt-Season has comeand gone - Where is altcoin heading in 2020? - FXStreet - December 30th, 2019
- Ethereum, XRP, and BCH: Why Traders are Optimistic on Altcoin Market - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: Which Crypto Assets Will Survive Another Year - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- XRP, Bitcoin are the most bought coins on Coinbase - AMBCrypto - December 30th, 2019
- Heres Why XRP Price Could Soon Burst 60% Higher - Ethereum World News - December 30th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Coin Rivet - December 27th, 2019
- Privacy-Focused and Privacy Centric Blockchains - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- NULS Hacked. $480 Worth of NULS Token Stolen - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Altcoins bubble on the way, crypto market cap may reach $11 trillion by 2023 - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Litecoin price prediction 2020: can it become the best-performing altcoin of the coming decade? - Capital.com - December 24th, 2019
- 2019: The Year in Altcoins, and the Year Ahead - Finance Magnates - December 24th, 2019
- XRP is Down 95% from Its 2018 Peak; Whats Next for the Embattled Crypto? - newsBTC - December 22nd, 2019
- BitGo Will Comply with FATF - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 22nd, 2019
- Why Have Altcoins Slumped Back to Crypto Winter Levels? - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Diary: Long BTC From $6.5K and Back in Altcoin Positions - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- LTC, XTZ, TRX, and XLM Crypto Price Prediction: Will Altcoins Test Key Resistance Levels? - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Can Ethereum (ETH) And Other Altcoins Still See A Rise In Dominance? - Crypto Daily - December 21st, 2019
- Orchid Launches on Coinbase and Sees 200%+ Gain - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ripple Raises $200M, Calls 2019 Its Strongest Year of Growth - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- Pionex and Dash are Now Partners - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ether Price Targets $160 as Altcoins Rally and BTC Trades Sideways - Cointelegraph - December 13th, 2019
- Ether Eyes $160 As BTC Oscillates And Altcoins Rally - - CryptoVibes - December 13th, 2019
- Whats the outlook for Litecoin in 2020? - Coin Rivet - December 13th, 2019
- Ethereum Classic is the Top Altcoin in Daily Active Addresses, Heres Why - Coingape - December 13th, 2019
- Nike Shoes and Ethereum? Why Not - Altcoin Buzz - December 13th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin auto-MATIC carnage - FXStreet - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoin Meltdown Intensifies as Tezos, Ravencoin, VeChain Take the Plunge - CCN.com - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoins: Could This Be the End of Tokens? - CoinCodex - December 11th, 2019
- Latest Litecoin price and analysis (LTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - December 11th, 2019
- Bitrefill and Bitfinex Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 6th, 2019
- Altcoin apocalypse XRP, Bitcoin Cash and ZEC over 90% removed from ATH - Born2Invest - December 5th, 2019
- Which Major Altcoins Will Still Be Top Ranking Long Term? A Historical Review of the Altcoin Market's Past Perhaps Provides Clues Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin... - December 4th, 2019
- XRP Added to Japanese Altcoin Market by BitFlyer - The Coin Republic - December 4th, 2019
- The Worst Is Yet To Come For Altcoin Market Cap - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: The Number of Dying Crypto Currencies Is Rising - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Dominance Steadily Increases While Bitcoin Takes a Dive - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- Learn The Basics of Masternode Investments: An Exclusive Interview with Iakov Trevor Levin of Midas - Coinfomania - December 2nd, 2019
- How to Beat Bitcoin With Altcoins (Using the BMJ Crypto Portfolio Optimization Tool) - Bitcoin Market Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Massively Successful: That is What Electroneum Wants To Be - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Google a Threat to Bitcoin? Community Disagrees - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Heres How Much of Each Major Altcoin Is Owned by Whales - BeInCrypto - November 21st, 2019
- Altcoin Volatility Rising, But Alt Season Wont Arrive Until Bitcoin Volume Returns - newsBTC - November 21st, 2019
- What will it take for a Litecoin bull run in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - November 21st, 2019
- Crypto Analyst: Ethereum, XRP and Altcoins Poised for Major Rally As Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Drops - The Daily Hodl - November 18th, 2019
- Bye-Bye Bitcoin? Why the Altcoin Bottom is In - newsBTC - November 18th, 2019
- Proof of Stake Creator: Bitcoin Unlikely to Dominate Altcoins in Long Run - Ethereum World News - November 18th, 2019
- Best Bitcoin/Altcoin Wallets For iPhone [2019 Edition] - October 1st, 2019
- Crypto Conundrum: Bullish Bitcoin Price Action Halts Altcoin ... - April 24th, 2019
- Altcoin Season 2019 Thrives: Everex (EVX) Leading Binance ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is an Altcoin? - CCN - February 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Trader South Africa - ice3x Altcoin Exchange ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Altcointrader.co.za Review - Altcoin Trader, Login ... - January 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 5: A Wild Altcoin Appears - Bitcoin News - January 9th, 2019
- Latest News on Altcoin | Altcoin Breaking News | DC Forecasts - January 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Daily Preview: Tron (TRX) Could Bounce back ... - January 9th, 2019
- Most promising Altcoins and ... - Captain Altcoin - January 8th, 2019
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018