Todays topic is altcoins and ICOs. In this episode, were going to go over some of the different cryptocurrencies out there and explain what are ICOs. So lets get started!
Altcoins, or alts in short, are cryptocurrencies that are not Bitcoin. The word altcoin is an abbreviation of alternative coins. So Litecoin, Ripple, Dash or any other non-Bitcoin cryptocurrency all fall under the category of altcoins.
Now you may ask yourself, Why do we even need altcoins in the first place? The answer is simple: Bitcoin is not perfect. Usually, altcoins will try to create a better or different version of Bitcoin.
For example, Litecoin is an alt that confirms transactions faster than Bitcoin. Dash and Monero are altcoins that focus on the anonymity aspect, making transactions virtually impossible to trace. Each altcoin has its own unique thing it does best.
Altcoins can also vary from Bitcoin in the way they are mined. For example, Bitcoins mining algorithm is called SHA-256, while Litecoins mining algorithm is called Scyrpt. Different mining algorithms require different types of hardware to mine.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if an altcoin is relatively new or not that well known, it will probably be harder to buy and will have fewer wallets that support it.
Until today, thousands of altcoins have been introduced to the market, but only a handful have managed to gain a significant following like Bitcoin. One way to figure out which altcoins are gaining popularity is by measuring their market cap.
A Market cap means how big is a coins market in dollar terms. Its calculated by taking the number of coins in circulation and multiplying it with the dollar exchange rate. If, for example, there are 16 million Bitcoins in circulation and the price of one Bitcoin is $2,500, the market cap for Bitcoin would be 40 billion dollars.
For a long time, Bitcoins market cap accounted for 90% of the total cryptocurrency market cap. Today, as more altcoins are gaining attention and appreciating in price, Bitcoins market cap makes up less of the total cryptocurrency market cap which has managed to surpass 100 billion dollars in 2017.
First and foremost, I suggest you read about the altcoin youre interested in. Make sure you understand what makes it unique and see if it makes sense to you. Most importantly dont invest in a coin just because of the buzz around it.
Many coins out there employ what is known as pump and dump schemes. This means the coins creators generate a lot of hype about a specific coin in order to get people to invest in it and inflate the coins price. Once the coin appreciates in value the creators sell all of their coins at a profit while crashing the price due to the massive sell off. This leaves the majority of investors with a bunch of useless coins and no one to sell them to.
Other stuff you should look into include the coins market capthis will give you an idea of how well this altcoin has been received in the community.
I would also suggest getting involved in the coins community. Usually, most major coins have an official forum, a Facebook group, a subreddit and other places of gathering where you can ask the developers of the coin specific questions. A strong community is an important predictor for a coins success.
Now you know what altcoins are, and we can move on to our next topic which is closely relatedICOs.
ICO stands for initial coin offering. The term derives from the traditional finance term, IPO (or initial public offering).
An IPO is used to describe the launch of a new company on a stock exchange, also known as going public. The purpose of an IPO is to sell stock in the company in order to raise capital from the public.
ICOs on the other hand sell coins, also known as tokens, as a way to fund a specific project. The general idea is that if you believe the project will succeed, you buy the tokens that power the project beforehand at a discount, and then you will be able to sell them later on at a profit once their project succeeds.
Lets break this process down a bit further.
When a cryptocurrency company wants to launch a new project through an ICO, it creates a whitepaper. The whitepaper is a document that states what the project is about, what needs the project will fulfill, how much money is needed for the project, and how long the ICO for this project will run for.
After the ICO is set up, the public can start investing in the ICO by sending money to the project and receiving project tokens or coins in return.
If the money raised by the ICO does not meet the minimum funds required by the whitepaper, the money is returned to the backers, and the ICO is deemed to be unsuccessful. If the funds requirements are met within the specified timeframe, the founding team will now get to work and bring the project to life through the use of the funds raised.
To sum it up, ICOs are like Kickstarter for crypto projects.
The best example of a highly lucrative ICO was the pre-sale of Ethereum tokens. In mid-2014, one Ether token (also known as ETH) sold for around 40 US cents . If you bought one hundred dollars worth of ETH back then, you would have the equivalent of 75,000 dollars in 2017.
Today, more and more projects try to mimic the success of Ethereums ICO. ICOs are conducted over the Ethereum platform, and thats why youll need to buy the Ethereum token, known as Ether, in order to participate in them.
The recent high volume of ICOs caused Ethereums price to spike and also overwhelmed the Ethereum network. This caused delayed or failed transactions, leading to the suspension of Ethereum trading in several exchanges and problems with ICO funding.
The worst example of a disastrous ICO is The DAO. The DAO, or decentralized autonomous organization, project managed to raise $150 million worth of Ethereum. However, shortly after the ICO ended, a hacker managed to drain a third of the amount raised due to a bug in Ethereums code.
This crisis and the different opinions on how to handle it led to a split in the Ethereum network and the creation of both the Ethereum and Ethereum classic altcoins.
Just like with any other financial instrument, where there is the possibility for great reward, there is great risk as well, and ICOs contain a huge amount of risk.
ICOs can be considered as high-risk gambles on cryptocurrency startup companies. Many people today invest in ICOs not because they believe in the project, but because they just want to make a quick profit. This, in turn, creates a general hype before the project launches.
But as the buzz fades away, project creators and early investors want to take money off the table, so they start selling massive amounts of token. This can cause the price to sharply drop.
Another thing to consider is that the bar for creating an ICO today is pretty low. While conducting an IPO requires to comply with a lot of regulation, ICOs skip this entire burdensome procedure by raising money exclusively in cryptocurrency which has yet to be regulated.
Want to create an ICO?
Just create a shiny website outlining your concept, create a digital asset, get some crypto celebs to say nice things about it, and sell your projects assets directly to people around the web. You dont even have to have a working product.
These low barriers to entry bring about a massive amount of low-quality projects that will never see the light of day. This could be due to the fact that the founders lack the skills required to execute the project, or that the ICO was just a plain scam to begin with.
As you can imagine, this is a scammers dream come true. With a minimal investment of time and money, they can get tons of people to send them money without any legal exposure or liability to the public.
In order to emphasize the absurdness of how much dumb money is spent on ICOs, one developer went as far as creating a site called Useless Ethereum Token.
The website states:
Youre literally giving your money to someone on the internet and getting completely useless tokens in return.
There are no whitepapers, no products, and no experts. Its just you, me, your hard-earned Ether, and my shopping list.
Amazingly enough, even the Useless Ethereum Token project managed to raise over sixty thousand US dollars.
In some cases you may lose money in an ICO not due to an intended scam, but due to the hacker manipulation. For example, not long ago a hacker managed to hack an ICO website and change the Ethereum ICO deposit address to his own Ethereum address. This caused over $7 million to be sent to him. Of course that money is now lost forever.
To sum it up, ICOs should be considered as risky as gambling. Due to the irreversible and unregulated nature of cryptocurrency, you have virtually no recourse if an ICO turns out to be a complete scam or goes bust.
Well, first of all, you need to know what youre investing in. This means you should take the time to actually read the ICOs whitepaper, research the project and founders and get involved with the community around it.
Also, make sure you understand how the tokens for the project will be distributed. ICOs which hold a lions share of tokens for the founders may end up selling these tokens in order to make a quick profit after the ICO ends.
Another important question to ask is how much money is being raised and for what purpose?
If there is no cap on the amount being raised, the project may get overfunded. Getting more money than you need can also hinder project development as laziness and no clear focus may arise as a result. Some projects have managed to raise tens of millions of dollars before the first line of code was even written.
Most importantly, dont ever invest in something you dont understand.
To sum it up, ICOs are a new form of crowdfunding which very few people understand. If youre just getting started with cryptocurrencies and ICOs, you probably should do a fair amount of additional research before committing your money to any project, as exciting as it may sound.
That sums it up for today. I hope you enjoyed this lesson of Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday, and Ill see you.in a bit.
Blogger and owner of 99Bitcoins. I've been dealing with Bitcoin since the beginning of 2013 and it taught me a lesson in finance that I couldn't get anywhere else on the planet. I'm not a techie, I don't understand "Hashes" and "Protocols", I designed this website with people like myself in mind. My expertise is online marketing and I've dedicated a large portion of 99Bitcoins to Bitcoin marketing.
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020