Originally created by former Google employee and later CTO of Coinbase Charlie Lee, Litecoin (LTC) was one of the first serious altcoin projects developed with an actual purpose.
While Bitcoin was seen as digital gold and a potential long-term store of value, Litecoin was created to be silver and used for everyday purposes.
In essence, Litecoin possesses many of Bitcoins features, but is lighter to carry and faster to transact. Lee believes the goal and mission of Litecoin is to be a live testnet for Bitcoin.
LTC has had a turbulent time in 2019, but how will Litecoin fare in 2020? Will higher volumes and fresh cash spur a new bull run after the disappointment of the halving?
Essentially, for any price appreciation to happen, we need serious volume coming into the cryptocurrency market.
In the short term, the outlook for Litecoin is quite grim.
Prior to mid-June, the altcoin was the best performing digital asset of 2019, growing more than 170% in fewer than 90 days and peaking at around $145. However, the uptrend sparked by the Litecoin halving did not last.
The reality is that the Litecoin halving, which took place a few months back, may have been a buy the rumour, sell the news type of event. Seasoned traders took profits weeks before it took place.
A serious summer downtrend then saw LTC tumble to around $49 before a market-wide pump last month following Chinese President Xi Jinpings bullish comments on blockchain.
However, the positive sentiment seems to have faded away again and LTC is back in a downtrend.
In Bitcoin terms, the outlook is even worse.
Looking at the chart above, we can immediately conclude that LTC is near its yearly low against Bitcoin.
At the moment, LTC is just above its 20-day EMA, sitting around 607,800 sats. Volume-wise, price is finding some weak support close to a key level, between 600,000 and 710,000 sats. The next strong level of resistance should be felt around 900,000 sats.
If LTC is able to break above the 50-day EMA and sustain some support below the 200-day EMA, we could see a sudden shift in investor preferences. However, for the time being, it looks like Litecoin is in for a period of accumulation.
Given Litecoins overall panorama, both in terms of USD and BTC, one could argue the altcoin is posed for a positive run during 2020.
For Litecoin to start a serious bull run, I believe fresh cash needs to come into Bitcoin initially before investors and traders move some gains into LTC.
The reason why I argue BTC has to pump first is due to historical reasons. Looking at both charts, it seems LTC/BTC moves before LTC/USD.
Therefore, I believe we could potentially see a mini-rally before May 2020 given the upcoming Bitcoin halving, which will reduce Bitcoins block reward by 50%.
During 2019, LTC pumped prior to its own halving, which took price close to all-time highs in Bitcoin terms.
If Bitcoin recovers to its 2019 highs, around $14,000, we could definitely see some of the gains trickling down into the top altcoins such as Litecoin.
Charlie Lee has also confirmed privacy is on the horizon for Litecoin next year.
Litecoin is making moves to add privacy features through the Mimblewimble protocol.
According to Lee:
Were working with the Grim++ developers to add an implementation of Mimblewimble. It adds an extension block to the Litecoin main-chain. You can transact between chains to use enhanced privacy.
The goal would be to give Litecoin users improved privacy features when transacting.
If theres an altcoin fundamentally ready for a new push, LTC seems to be the one.
Will LTC moon in 2020?Well have to wait and see.
Go here to see the original:
Whats the outlook for Litecoin in 2020? - Coin Rivet
- This Crypto is Positioned for an Insane Rally as it Reaches Key Resistance - Ethereum World News - February 24th, 2020
- 5-year altcoin exchange says goodbye: It will close in 10 days - Somag News - February 24th, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Evil Whales Behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and Altcoin Market Rallies in 2020 - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Past Crypto Cycle Highlights Altcoin Underperformance, But Perfect Storm is Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Crypto Strategists: This Forgotten Altcoin Just Left the Launch Pad and Is Ready to Take Flight - The Daily Hodl - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Pullback Crashing Altcoins Is This End of Altcoin Season? - U.Today - February 23rd, 2020
- Why TRON, XRP, and Cardano (ADA) just plunged 12% in a severe altcoin correction - CryptoSlate - February 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Dips 33% amid Altcoin Season Bust and More Losses are Coming - newsBTC - February 23rd, 2020
- Here's Why Even as a Bitcoiner you Shouldn't Ignore Ethereum - Bitcoinist - February 23rd, 2020
- Bit-comment: Bitcoin does not keep up with the altcoin''s rebound - MENAFN.COM - February 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum max out till date - BTC Wires - February 23rd, 2020
- Heres Why Litecoin Is Leading The Rise Of Altcoin Dominance - ZyCrypto - February 23rd, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Warns of XRP Crash to $0.20 as Price Stumbles - Ethereum World News - February 23rd, 2020
- Altcoin Dominance Rising: Ethereum Leads, XRP and Litecoin Lag - Crypto Briefing - February 13th, 2020
- Crypto Market Has All Signs of an Explosive Altcoin Season Brewing - newsBTC - February 13th, 2020
- Ethereum Price (ETH) Has Surged 92% in 2020 With Targets Set on $300 - Cointelegraph - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoins Continue to Roar Higher as Bitcoin Consolidates Above $10,000 - Blockonomi - February 13th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Kyber Network, the On-Chain Liquidity Protocol Leading the DeFi Sector - BTCMANAGER - February 13th, 2020
- The Insolar (INS) Dilemma - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- North Korea is Mining Even More Monero - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dominance Could Cause Catastrophic Ending to Current Altcoin Season - newsBTC - February 10th, 2020
- Why these 3 altcoins are outperforming the rest this year - Micky News - February 10th, 2020
- Ripples XRP Emerges Victorious in Altcoin Twitter Ring Fight Against IOTA, Cardano, and Tron - ZyCrypto - February 10th, 2020
- Three Crypto Assets Surged More Than 175%, Beating Bitcoin, As Altcoin Market Exploded in January - The Daily Hodl - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin vs. Altcoins: Which Will Make You More Money in 2020? - Bitcoinist - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin bull trend approaches 10K as altcoin season is a reality - FXStreet - February 6th, 2020
- Alt Season Cancelled: XRP, Ethereum, and Litecoin All Trigger Sell Signal - newsBTC - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin Falls Back While Stocks and Altcoins Surge Ahead - Live Bitcoin News - February 6th, 2020
- MIT Spider and Off-Chain Payments - Blockchain Technology - Altcoin Buzz - February 6th, 2020
- Bitcoins Dominance is at a Critical Level That Could Determine the Fate of Altcoins - Ethereum World News - February 6th, 2020
- Global Altcoin Breakout Could Usher Return of Alt Season Crypto Riches - newsBTC - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin is the Hotmail of Crypto, and the Real Sh*tcoin: John McAfee - CCN.com - February 4th, 2020
- Crypto Regulation? Andrew Yang Says YES - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - February 4th, 2020
- After Sinking 97%, This Altcoin Just Woke Up with a 23% Surge - CCN.com - February 2nd, 2020
- Nearly $6,000,000,000 Ready to Move Into Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP and Altcoin Markets: Crypto Analyst Mati Greenspan - The Daily Hodl - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Last Years Top Crypto Market Performers Are Lagging Behind Altcoins in 2020 - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Watch Out Bears: These Altcoins Are on The Cusp of an Insane Rally - newsBTC - February 2nd, 2020
- Why The Cardano Price Raise Can Be Attributed To Mere Speculation? - The Coin Republic - February 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Update: Ethereum Breaks Long-Term Trendline With Bulls Still In Control - Hacked - February 2nd, 2020
- Altcoin season or end of the game? - MENAFN.COM - February 2nd, 2020
- Which altcoins have outperformed Bitcoin in January 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- This Class of Once Hyped Altcoins Is Headed To Zero - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Altcoins on Track to Plunge By 10%, Yet This Crypto Could Rally Higher - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Today: Bitcoin and major altcoins retreat from recent highs, still strong in the long run - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Great But Investing in Altcoins Has More Potential Than You Can Imagine - Investorplace.com - January 29th, 2020
- Elon Musk Finally Reveals What He Thinks about Bitcoin - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Dips $300 And Recovers As Altcoins Continue The Mini-Season: Wednesday Market Watch - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020
- EOS Spikes Over 10% Breaking A 4-Month Key Resistance Level, Is Altseason Here Yet? - Coingape - January 29th, 2020
- Poll Shows Crypto Investors Expect ChainLink To Be Top Performing Altcoin in 2020 - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- These 4 Factors Suggest the Altcoin Crypto Market Rally is Only Just Beginning - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- Is This The Return Of The Altseason? Pumped Up Altcoins Leave Bitcoin In The Wind - ZyCrypto - January 14th, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Cooperative Warns Public Against Apparent Hard Fork Scam - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- South Korea: Hacked Crypto Exchange Upbit Finally Resumes ETH Deposits and Withdrawals - BTCMANAGER - January 14th, 2020
- Cobinhood is the Latest Altcoin Exchange to Shut Down - NullTX - January 12th, 2020
- Litecoin Gains 10% Against The Dollar, Is This The Start of an Altcoin Rally? - newsBTC - January 12th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers At $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 12th, 2020
- More Altcoin Mining to be Integrated by Mining Pools in 2020 - Report - Cryptonews - January 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Monero hashrate mainly concentrated in Europe - AMBCrypto - January 10th, 2020
- 4 Signs the Cryptocurrency Altcoin Market May Have Finally Bottomed - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- All 4 Past Januaries Started A Different Altcoin Trend, Will January 2020 Ignite a New Altcoin Season? - CryptoPotato - January 10th, 2020
- Dead Crypto Projects Declined in 2019, Are Altcoins Reviving? - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Stellar jumps 8% as Bitcoin taps $8,000; what will push XLM even higher? - CryptoSlate - January 10th, 2020
- Chainlink and Loopring Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - January 10th, 2020
- Upbit Exchange to Re-Open XRP, LTC and EOS Trading - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Tether, The Worlds First Successful Stablecoin - BTCMANAGER - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Altcoins Rally Means for Where the Crypto Markets are Heading Next - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Momentum Within Altcoin Market Could Spark Massive XRP Rally, But Will it Be Sustainable? - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- This Small-Cap Altcoin Is Quietly up Over 50% in the Last 2 Days - SludgeFeed - January 5th, 2020
- ElectraPay is Another Altcoin Payment Solution no one Really Needs - The Merkle Hash - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: Price Remains Unmoved as Users clamor for Altcoin Revolution ... - TWJ Crypto - January 5th, 2020
- 2019: Alt-Season has comeand gone - Where is altcoin heading in 2020? - FXStreet - December 30th, 2019
- Ethereum, XRP, and BCH: Why Traders are Optimistic on Altcoin Market - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: Which Crypto Assets Will Survive Another Year - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- XRP, Bitcoin are the most bought coins on Coinbase - AMBCrypto - December 30th, 2019
- Heres Why XRP Price Could Soon Burst 60% Higher - Ethereum World News - December 30th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Coin Rivet - December 27th, 2019
- Privacy-Focused and Privacy Centric Blockchains - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- NULS Hacked. $480 Worth of NULS Token Stolen - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019