Right now the top 21 altcoins onCoinMarketCapare:
The question is which of these altcoins will survive the test of time? To get an idea of what it takes for an altcoin to survive long term, it is important to look at the history of the altcoin market.
A Historical Review Of Which Major Altcoins Survived The Test Of Time
InFebruary 2014the altcoin market was just beginning to proliferate and diversify, with less than 100 altcoins on CoinMarketCap. Back then the list of the top 21 altcoins was almost entirely different than it is today, with Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Peercoin (PPC), NXT, Omni, Dogecoin (DOGE), Namecoin (NMC), Quark (QRK), Bitshares (PTS), Megacoin (MEC), Worldcoin (WDC), Primecoin (XPM), Infinitecoin (IFC), Feathercoin (FTC), Novacoin (NVC), Tickets (TIX), Digitalcoin (DGC), Devcoin (DVC), Zetacoin (ZET), NetCoin (NET), and AnonCoin (ANC).
The only altcoins which were in the top 21 back in February 2014 that remain in the top 21 today are Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP). The common denominator between Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP) is they both are fundamentally unique and useful for something that is economically important in the crypto space.
Litecoin (LTC) is the first scrypt cryptocurrency, which is a variation of the proof of work (PoW) algorithm, and was initially useful among miners with GPUs who could no longer mine Bitcoin (BTC) profitably. Basically, miners could use their computers and GPU farms to profitably mine Litecoin (LTC), so a large community of miners developed around Litecoin (LTC). Scrypt mining continues to this day, except now miners use ASICs to mine Scrypt, but the concept is the same and there continues to be a large community of miners around Litecoin (LTC).
Ripple (XRP) has a unique distributed ledger system that facilitates instant conversion of fiat currencies during cross-border payments. This potential was known since the early days of Ripple (XRP), and this potential is becoming realized as dozens of banks and even Moneygram have begun to use the Ripple (XRP) network.
Dogecoin (DOGE) could perhaps still be considered a significant altcoin, but aside from having an active and well-known community, it has no unique technology and has been slowly sliding down the ranks over the years.
ByFebruary 2015the list of 21 altcoins became slightly more recognizable to the modern-day list, with Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), BitShares (BTS), PayCoin (XPY), Stellar (XLM), Dogecoin (DOGE), MaidSafeCoin (MAID), NXT, Dash, Peercoin (PPC), Namecoin (NMC), Counterparty (XCP), NuShares (NSR), Banx, YbCoin, (YBC), NuBits (USNBT), SuperNet (UNITY), Monero (XMR), Bytecoin (BCN), and GetGems (GMZ).Aside from Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP), the only cryptos which remain in the top 21 today are Stellar (XLM), Dash, and Monero (XMR).
Stellar (XLM) is actually very similar to Ripple (XRP) and is mostly useful its ability for its instant and practically zero-fee transactions which can be used to convert fiat currencies across borders. Perhaps there is simply room for two cryptocurrencies in the cross-border payments sector, and that is why Stellar (XLM) is still in the top 21 today. However, Stellar (XLM) is far less valuable than Ripple (XRP), and its lack of originality versus Ripple (XRP) brings into question whether it will survive long term.
Monero (XMR) on the other hand is highly original, and the king of privacy coins, giving users full anonymity by obscuring the origin, destination, and amount of a transaction. Anonymity will always be in demand in the crypto space, and Monero (XMR) will likely be top-ranking long term.
Dash (DASH) also is a privacy coin but uses a different mechanism to achieve privacy called masternodes, which mix a transaction through many addresses to obscure its origin and destination. Also, masternodes pay operators money, so a community of masternode operators has developed around Dash, which should help sustain it into the long term.
Which Modern Day Altcoins Have the Best Prospects for Remaining in the Top 21
Based on the history of altcoins, it seems that Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), EOS, Monero (XMR), IOTA (MIOTA), Maker (MKR), and Dash (DASH) have the highest chance of remaining in the top 21 long term.
Ethereum (ETH) is the top platform for dApp and smart contract development, Ripple (XRP) is the top cross-border payments crypto, Litecoin (LTC) is the top scrypt cryptocurrency, EOS is the top distributed proof of stake (dPoS) and decentralized governance cryptocurrency, Monero (XMR) is the top privacy coin, IOTA (MIOTA) is the top internet of things (IoT) and directed acyclic graph (DAG) crypto, Maker (MKR) is the top decentralized finance (DeFi) platform for lending and borrowing, and Dash (DASH) is the top masternode crypto.
Now for the coins that did not make the cut and the reasons why. Tether (USDT) is the top stablecoin, but it is legally embattled and may not survive long term. That being said, there will likely be a stablecoin among the top 21 altcoins long term.
Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Bitcoin SV (BSV) are copycats of Bitcoin (BTC) and therefore likely will not survive long term, since they have no unique technology. Likewise, Stellar (XLM) is a copycat of Ripple (XRP) and slowly moving down the ranks long term. Also, Tron (TRX), NEO, and Cardano (ADA) are all trying to compete with Ethereum (ETH) in the dApps and smart contracts sector, which may prove to be a losing battle.
Exchange tokens like Binance Coin (BNB), LEO, and Huobi Token (HT) do not have solid prospects of surviving long term since they are entirely dependent on the fate of their respective exchanges. A lot can happen to an exchange over the course of years, such as hacks and crippling regulation.
Tezos (XTZ) is the top Proof of Stake (PoS) crypto, but long term PoS cryptocurrencies have had a tendency of dying out over time. It is perhaps possible that Tezos (XTZ) will survive long term, but other major PoS coins in the past have steadily slid down the ranks.
Chainlink (LINK) is competing with Ethereum (ETH) in the smart contracts sector and highly centralized, so its long term prospects do not appear to be good.
Cosmos (ATOM) perhaps has a chance of surviving long term, since it is the top crypto based on blockchain interoperability. However, Cosmos (ATOM) is relatively new, and it remains to be seen if blockchain interoperability is something the crypto space in general really needs.
Thus, a review of the history of the altcoin market reveals what characteristics a cryptocurrency needs to survive long term. These include being fundamentally unique and useful for something that is economically important in the crypto space. Conversely, if a cryptocurrency is a copycat or not useful for something that is economically important, then that altcoin will probably drop down the ranks over the years. Another positive factor is decentralization since, if a crypto is centralized, it could get attacked by regulators, or destroy itself via internal turmoil, at some point in the future.
These principles can be applied to any of the thousands of altcoins to determine if they have good prospects of surviving long term, not just the top 21.
In summary, based on a review of the altcoin markets history, it appears that Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), EOS, Monero (XMR), IOTA (MIOTA), Maker (MKR), and Dash (DASH) are the most original and fundamentally useful cryptocurrencies, and therefore have the best prospects for remaining in the top 21 in the coming years.
- Top Analyst Says One Altcoin Massively Undervalued, Goes ... - September 19th, 2020
- A "Tsunami" of Wealth - Investorplace.com - September 19th, 2020
- Heres why 2017 altcoin Aelf (ELF) has surged 100% in the past day - CryptoSlate - September 17th, 2020
- Uniswap Protocol Governance Token (UNI) is Live! - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - September 17th, 2020
- Analyst Nicholas Merten Says One Altcoin Poised to Outperform Bitcoin As Crypto Markets Search for Direction - The Daily Hodl - September 17th, 2020
- Binance Coin surges by ~22%; could it be the Burger talking? - AMBCrypto English - September 17th, 2020
- Linear Finance Token (LINA) Lists on Uniswap! - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - September 17th, 2020
- User who turned $200 in Ethereum into $250k due to altcoin bug comes clean - CryptoSlate - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000, Is The 'Altcoin & DeFi Apocalypse' Over Yet? - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - September 10th, 2020
- YFI Climbs 50% From $18K Low While The Rest Of Crypto Stagnates, But Why? - NewsBTC - September 10th, 2020
- DeFi Exit Scam Alert - $2.5M Moved - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - September 10th, 2020
- BTC and Altcoin Pay is Growing Fast, Says Crypto Payment Firm BitPay - Cryptonews - August 28th, 2020
- This Will Hold Altcoin Until It Reaches $ 100 Thousand - Somag News - August 28th, 2020
- Analyst Explains Anatomy Of An Altcoin Shakeout With BATs Vertical Rally - newsBTC - August 28th, 2020
- The altcoins are really starting to pop - Asia Times - August 26th, 2020
- But why is altcoin trading concentrated mostly in East Asia? - AMBCrypto English - August 26th, 2020
- Altcoins Look Excessively Swollen Compared to Ethereum - Somag News - August 26th, 2020
- 2017s forgotten altcoins ZRX, OMG, and BAT are booming on a DeFi promise - CryptoSlate - August 26th, 2020
- Analyst Explains Anatomy Of An Altcoin Shakeout With BATs Vertical Rally - The Coin Radar - August 26th, 2020
- Cosmos (ATOM) price surges despite most altcoins in the red - Invezz - August 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin 'maximalists' accused of 'shilling' an SEC-cleared token - Cointelegraph - August 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020