Right now the top 21 altcoins onCoinMarketCapare:
The question is which of these altcoins will survive the test of time? To get an idea of what it takes for an altcoin to survive long term, it is important to look at the history of the altcoin market.
A Historical Review Of Which Major Altcoins Survived The Test Of Time
InFebruary 2014the altcoin market was just beginning to proliferate and diversify, with less than 100 altcoins on CoinMarketCap. Back then the list of the top 21 altcoins was almost entirely different than it is today, with Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Peercoin (PPC), NXT, Omni, Dogecoin (DOGE), Namecoin (NMC), Quark (QRK), Bitshares (PTS), Megacoin (MEC), Worldcoin (WDC), Primecoin (XPM), Infinitecoin (IFC), Feathercoin (FTC), Novacoin (NVC), Tickets (TIX), Digitalcoin (DGC), Devcoin (DVC), Zetacoin (ZET), NetCoin (NET), and AnonCoin (ANC).
The only altcoins which were in the top 21 back in February 2014 that remain in the top 21 today are Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP). The common denominator between Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP) is they both are fundamentally unique and useful for something that is economically important in the crypto space.
Litecoin (LTC) is the first scrypt cryptocurrency, which is a variation of the proof of work (PoW) algorithm, and was initially useful among miners with GPUs who could no longer mine Bitcoin (BTC) profitably. Basically, miners could use their computers and GPU farms to profitably mine Litecoin (LTC), so a large community of miners developed around Litecoin (LTC). Scrypt mining continues to this day, except now miners use ASICs to mine Scrypt, but the concept is the same and there continues to be a large community of miners around Litecoin (LTC).
Ripple (XRP) has a unique distributed ledger system that facilitates instant conversion of fiat currencies during cross-border payments. This potential was known since the early days of Ripple (XRP), and this potential is becoming realized as dozens of banks and even Moneygram have begun to use the Ripple (XRP) network.
Dogecoin (DOGE) could perhaps still be considered a significant altcoin, but aside from having an active and well-known community, it has no unique technology and has been slowly sliding down the ranks over the years.
ByFebruary 2015the list of 21 altcoins became slightly more recognizable to the modern-day list, with Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), BitShares (BTS), PayCoin (XPY), Stellar (XLM), Dogecoin (DOGE), MaidSafeCoin (MAID), NXT, Dash, Peercoin (PPC), Namecoin (NMC), Counterparty (XCP), NuShares (NSR), Banx, YbCoin, (YBC), NuBits (USNBT), SuperNet (UNITY), Monero (XMR), Bytecoin (BCN), and GetGems (GMZ).Aside from Litecoin (LTC) and Ripple (XRP), the only cryptos which remain in the top 21 today are Stellar (XLM), Dash, and Monero (XMR).
Stellar (XLM) is actually very similar to Ripple (XRP) and is mostly useful its ability for its instant and practically zero-fee transactions which can be used to convert fiat currencies across borders. Perhaps there is simply room for two cryptocurrencies in the cross-border payments sector, and that is why Stellar (XLM) is still in the top 21 today. However, Stellar (XLM) is far less valuable than Ripple (XRP), and its lack of originality versus Ripple (XRP) brings into question whether it will survive long term.
Monero (XMR) on the other hand is highly original, and the king of privacy coins, giving users full anonymity by obscuring the origin, destination, and amount of a transaction. Anonymity will always be in demand in the crypto space, and Monero (XMR) will likely be top-ranking long term.
Dash (DASH) also is a privacy coin but uses a different mechanism to achieve privacy called masternodes, which mix a transaction through many addresses to obscure its origin and destination. Also, masternodes pay operators money, so a community of masternode operators has developed around Dash, which should help sustain it into the long term.
Which Modern Day Altcoins Have the Best Prospects for Remaining in the Top 21
Based on the history of altcoins, it seems that Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), EOS, Monero (XMR), IOTA (MIOTA), Maker (MKR), and Dash (DASH) have the highest chance of remaining in the top 21 long term.
Ethereum (ETH) is the top platform for dApp and smart contract development, Ripple (XRP) is the top cross-border payments crypto, Litecoin (LTC) is the top scrypt cryptocurrency, EOS is the top distributed proof of stake (dPoS) and decentralized governance cryptocurrency, Monero (XMR) is the top privacy coin, IOTA (MIOTA) is the top internet of things (IoT) and directed acyclic graph (DAG) crypto, Maker (MKR) is the top decentralized finance (DeFi) platform for lending and borrowing, and Dash (DASH) is the top masternode crypto.
Now for the coins that did not make the cut and the reasons why. Tether (USDT) is the top stablecoin, but it is legally embattled and may not survive long term. That being said, there will likely be a stablecoin among the top 21 altcoins long term.
Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Bitcoin SV (BSV) are copycats of Bitcoin (BTC) and therefore likely will not survive long term, since they have no unique technology. Likewise, Stellar (XLM) is a copycat of Ripple (XRP) and slowly moving down the ranks long term. Also, Tron (TRX), NEO, and Cardano (ADA) are all trying to compete with Ethereum (ETH) in the dApps and smart contracts sector, which may prove to be a losing battle.
Exchange tokens like Binance Coin (BNB), LEO, and Huobi Token (HT) do not have solid prospects of surviving long term since they are entirely dependent on the fate of their respective exchanges. A lot can happen to an exchange over the course of years, such as hacks and crippling regulation.
Tezos (XTZ) is the top Proof of Stake (PoS) crypto, but long term PoS cryptocurrencies have had a tendency of dying out over time. It is perhaps possible that Tezos (XTZ) will survive long term, but other major PoS coins in the past have steadily slid down the ranks.
Chainlink (LINK) is competing with Ethereum (ETH) in the smart contracts sector and highly centralized, so its long term prospects do not appear to be good.
Cosmos (ATOM) perhaps has a chance of surviving long term, since it is the top crypto based on blockchain interoperability. However, Cosmos (ATOM) is relatively new, and it remains to be seen if blockchain interoperability is something the crypto space in general really needs.
Thus, a review of the history of the altcoin market reveals what characteristics a cryptocurrency needs to survive long term. These include being fundamentally unique and useful for something that is economically important in the crypto space. Conversely, if a cryptocurrency is a copycat or not useful for something that is economically important, then that altcoin will probably drop down the ranks over the years. Another positive factor is decentralization since, if a crypto is centralized, it could get attacked by regulators, or destroy itself via internal turmoil, at some point in the future.
These principles can be applied to any of the thousands of altcoins to determine if they have good prospects of surviving long term, not just the top 21.
In summary, based on a review of the altcoin markets history, it appears that Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), Litecoin (LTC), EOS, Monero (XMR), IOTA (MIOTA), Maker (MKR), and Dash (DASH) are the most original and fundamentally useful cryptocurrencies, and therefore have the best prospects for remaining in the top 21 in the coming years.
- Poll Shows Crypto Investors Expect ChainLink To Be Top Performing Altcoin in 2020 - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- These 4 Factors Suggest the Altcoin Crypto Market Rally is Only Just Beginning - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- Is This The Return Of The Altseason? Pumped Up Altcoins Leave Bitcoin In The Wind - ZyCrypto - January 14th, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Cooperative Warns Public Against Apparent Hard Fork Scam - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- South Korea: Hacked Crypto Exchange Upbit Finally Resumes ETH Deposits and Withdrawals - BTCMANAGER - January 14th, 2020
- Cobinhood is the Latest Altcoin Exchange to Shut Down - NullTX - January 12th, 2020
- Litecoin Gains 10% Against The Dollar, Is This The Start of an Altcoin Rally? - newsBTC - January 12th, 2020
- Dash Surges by Over 16% as Bitcoin Price Hovers At $8,100 - Cointelegraph - January 12th, 2020
- More Altcoin Mining to be Integrated by Mining Pools in 2020 - Report - Cryptonews - January 10th, 2020
- Ethereum, Monero hashrate mainly concentrated in Europe - AMBCrypto - January 10th, 2020
- 4 Signs the Cryptocurrency Altcoin Market May Have Finally Bottomed - Cointelegraph - January 10th, 2020
- All 4 Past Januaries Started A Different Altcoin Trend, Will January 2020 Ignite a New Altcoin Season? - CryptoPotato - January 10th, 2020
- Dead Crypto Projects Declined in 2019, Are Altcoins Reviving? - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Stellar jumps 8% as Bitcoin taps $8,000; what will push XLM even higher? - CryptoSlate - January 10th, 2020
- Chainlink and Loopring Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - January 10th, 2020
- Upbit Exchange to Re-Open XRP, LTC and EOS Trading - Bitcoinist - January 10th, 2020
- Altcoin Explorer: Tether, The Worlds First Successful Stablecoin - BTCMANAGER - January 10th, 2020
- Heres What Altcoins Rally Means for Where the Crypto Markets are Heading Next - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Momentum Within Altcoin Market Could Spark Massive XRP Rally, But Will it Be Sustainable? - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- This Small-Cap Altcoin Is Quietly up Over 50% in the Last 2 Days - SludgeFeed - January 5th, 2020
- ElectraPay is Another Altcoin Payment Solution no one Really Needs - The Merkle Hash - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: Price Remains Unmoved as Users clamor for Altcoin Revolution ... - TWJ Crypto - January 5th, 2020
- 2019: Alt-Season has comeand gone - Where is altcoin heading in 2020? - FXStreet - December 30th, 2019
- Ethereum, XRP, and BCH: Why Traders are Optimistic on Altcoin Market - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: Which Crypto Assets Will Survive Another Year - newsBTC - December 30th, 2019
- XRP, Bitcoin are the most bought coins on Coinbase - AMBCrypto - December 30th, 2019
- Heres Why XRP Price Could Soon Burst 60% Higher - Ethereum World News - December 30th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Coin Rivet - December 27th, 2019
- Privacy-Focused and Privacy Centric Blockchains - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- NULS Hacked. $480 Worth of NULS Token Stolen - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 27th, 2019
- 2019 in review: Which altcoins performed the best vs Bitcoin? - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2019
- Altcoins bubble on the way, crypto market cap may reach $11 trillion by 2023 - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Litecoin price prediction 2020: can it become the best-performing altcoin of the coming decade? - Capital.com - December 24th, 2019
- 2019: The Year in Altcoins, and the Year Ahead - Finance Magnates - December 24th, 2019
- XRP is Down 95% from Its 2018 Peak; Whats Next for the Embattled Crypto? - newsBTC - December 22nd, 2019
- BitGo Will Comply with FATF - Cryptocurrency Regulation - Altcoin Buzz - December 22nd, 2019
- Why Have Altcoins Slumped Back to Crypto Winter Levels? - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Diary: Long BTC From $6.5K and Back in Altcoin Positions - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- LTC, XTZ, TRX, and XLM Crypto Price Prediction: Will Altcoins Test Key Resistance Levels? - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Can Ethereum (ETH) And Other Altcoins Still See A Rise In Dominance? - Crypto Daily - December 21st, 2019
- Orchid Launches on Coinbase and Sees 200%+ Gain - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ripple Raises $200M, Calls 2019 Its Strongest Year of Growth - Cointelegraph - December 21st, 2019
- Pionex and Dash are Now Partners - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 21st, 2019
- Ether Price Targets $160 as Altcoins Rally and BTC Trades Sideways - Cointelegraph - December 13th, 2019
- Ether Eyes $160 As BTC Oscillates And Altcoins Rally - - CryptoVibes - December 13th, 2019
- Whats the outlook for Litecoin in 2020? - Coin Rivet - December 13th, 2019
- Ethereum Classic is the Top Altcoin in Daily Active Addresses, Heres Why - Coingape - December 13th, 2019
- Nike Shoes and Ethereum? Why Not - Altcoin Buzz - December 13th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin auto-MATIC carnage - FXStreet - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoin Meltdown Intensifies as Tezos, Ravencoin, VeChain Take the Plunge - CCN.com - December 11th, 2019
- Altcoins: Could This Be the End of Tokens? - CoinCodex - December 11th, 2019
- Latest Litecoin price and analysis (LTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - December 11th, 2019
- Bitrefill and Bitfinex Are Now "Partners in Crime" - Business Partnerships - Altcoin Buzz - December 6th, 2019
- Altcoin apocalypse XRP, Bitcoin Cash and ZEC over 90% removed from ATH - Born2Invest - December 5th, 2019
- XRP Added to Japanese Altcoin Market by BitFlyer - The Coin Republic - December 4th, 2019
- The Worst Is Yet To Come For Altcoin Market Cap - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Apocalypse: The Number of Dying Crypto Currencies Is Rising - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Altcoin Dominance Steadily Increases While Bitcoin Takes a Dive - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- Learn The Basics of Masternode Investments: An Exclusive Interview with Iakov Trevor Levin of Midas - Coinfomania - December 2nd, 2019
- How to Beat Bitcoin With Altcoins (Using the BMJ Crypto Portfolio Optimization Tool) - Bitcoin Market Journal - December 2nd, 2019
- Massively Successful: That is What Electroneum Wants To Be - Spotlight - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Google a Threat to Bitcoin? Community Disagrees - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - November 23rd, 2019
- Heres How Much of Each Major Altcoin Is Owned by Whales - BeInCrypto - November 21st, 2019
- Altcoin Volatility Rising, But Alt Season Wont Arrive Until Bitcoin Volume Returns - newsBTC - November 21st, 2019
- What will it take for a Litecoin bull run in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - November 21st, 2019
- Crypto Analyst: Ethereum, XRP and Altcoins Poised for Major Rally As Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Drops - The Daily Hodl - November 18th, 2019
- Bye-Bye Bitcoin? Why the Altcoin Bottom is In - newsBTC - November 18th, 2019
- Proof of Stake Creator: Bitcoin Unlikely to Dominate Altcoins in Long Run - Ethereum World News - November 18th, 2019
- Best Bitcoin/Altcoin Wallets For iPhone [2019 Edition] - October 1st, 2019
- Crypto Conundrum: Bullish Bitcoin Price Action Halts Altcoin ... - April 24th, 2019
- Altcoin Season 2019 Thrives: Everex (EVX) Leading Binance ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is an Altcoin? - CCN - February 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Trader South Africa - ice3x Altcoin Exchange ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Altcointrader.co.za Review - Altcoin Trader, Login ... - January 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 5: A Wild Altcoin Appears - Bitcoin News - January 9th, 2019
- Latest News on Altcoin | Altcoin Breaking News | DC Forecasts - January 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Daily Preview: Tron (TRX) Could Bounce back ... - January 9th, 2019
- Most promising Altcoins and ... - Captain Altcoin - January 8th, 2019
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018
- GoChain (GO): Here's Why This Altcoin Might $GO All The ... - November 10th, 2018