Bitcoin's (BTC)sideward price action of late has been a hunting ground where whales can easily liquidate misinformed traders on leverage trading platforms. Without decent swings, any asset can become boring.
But lets not forget BTC isnt the only cryptocurrency out there, as several altcoins are currently staging somewhat of a comeback. However, theres one coin that doesnt seem to be having a good time lately, namely XRP, the fourth-largest digital asset by market capitalization.
So, in today's analysis, Im going to look at whether holding XRP is likely to be more fruitful than BTC in the short term.
Daily crypto market performance. Source: Coin360.com
Starting out with the weekly chart, one can see why the bears favor this timeframe. Bitcoin is forming a massive pennant that is far clearer now than it was before the March 12 black swan event.
BTC/USD 1-week chart. Source: TradingView
Typically, pennants break toward the end of the pattern, sometimes a little before. However, they are invalidated after. As things stand for Bitcoin, a breakout or breakdown could occur any time between now and approximately September 2021, 14 months from now.
With the current price around $9,156, a small 6% increase would put Bitcoin on the resistance line, and this is why we have failed to reclaim $10,000. But at this rate, reclaiming just $9,750 would be a welcome breakthrough for the bulls.
On the flip side, there is a massive 47.42% gap from the current price to the support of the pattern. This puts a figure of $4,500 as a potential target, which may be a great opportunity to stack some sats. But is this just wishful thinking from overly aggressive bears that shout burn this Ponzi to the ground?
BTC/USD one-day chart Source: TradingView
The one-day chart can be interpreted as equally bearish for Bitcoin. Using the Fibonacci retracement tool from the March 12 dump to the last time $10,500 was rejected, the price is still above 0.236. But should this level fail, then the 0.382, 50%, and 0.618 Fibs are where the action is, and this puts support levels at $7,900, $7,150 and $6,350, respectively.
While none of us hodlers want to see $6,350 or $4,500 Bitcoin, you cant ignore the charts.However, the bull in me sees that just a 13% uptick in the price of Bitcoin is needed in order to reach the multiyear resistance of $10,500.
So, what is more likely? Number go up? Or number go down?
BTC/USD one-hour chart Source: TradingView
In the short term for Bitcoin, and using now the one-hour chartas well as the Fib levels from the tip of the June 23 pump and the $8,800 bottom on June 27, we can see that Bitcoin has broken the 382 (as I type this article). Thus, following the Fibonacci structure would put the most likely resistance levels at $9,300 on the 50% Fib and $9,420 on the 618.
Should Bitcoin continue on an upward path, reaching the top of the Fib at $9,794 would invalidate the pennant structure and also wipe out the chance of $4,500 to boot.
Once the bulls are in control, then $12,000Bitcoin is the next key level to break, and when all is said and done, this is still only a 25% increase in price. Which brings me to Ripples XRP, an altcoin that has piqued my interest.
XRP/USD one-week chart. Source: TradingView
At first glance, the XRP chart looks like any other altcoin. A huge 2017 spike followed by a monster downtrend. Anyone that looks at this chart would draw the same conclusion that this project is dead.
But is the fourth-biggest digital asset by market cap really dead? Or is it the investment opportunity of a lifetime?
Using the Fib with a massive pinch of salt, the first target being the 382 is $1.33. With XRP currently trading at about $0.175, thats approximately a 750% return on investment. If the price continued to the 50% retracement, then thats 900% and a massive 10-timesgain if it were to reach the 0.618 level.
I like those numbers, and since XRP is somewhat of the Ralph Wiggum of crypto, responding rather slowly after Bitcoin and Ethereum make their movesand remaining stagnant for the majority of 2017, this could be a great speculative investment as Bitcoin looks like its close to its top.
XRP/USD 1-week chart. Source: TradingView
Moving down to the one-day chart for XRP, the downside doesnt look that great. If $0.16 support fails to hold, $0.10 XRP is what the Fib retracement tool shows as a potential target.
However, there is massive buying and selling pressure for XRP on Bitfinex, between $0.17 and $0.18 with no big orders below $0.17, according to the Tensorcharts orderbook heatmap.
XRP/USD heatmap. Source: Tensorcharts
This all leaves me asking the question: Is the bottom in for XRP? But also, are we close to the top for Bitcoin?
Obviously, XRP hasnt won as many hearts and minds as BTC, as its generally discounted by the crypto community due to its centralized nature, Ripples regular monthly sales from its escrow and its XRP Army supporters.
Nevertheless, XRP is currently at mid-2017 levels, while Bitcoin is already at December 2017 prices. So, which horse looks better to bet on at these levels? Obviously, you should DYOR do your own research. But as Warren Buffet once said,Be fearful when others are greedyand greedy when others are fearful.
For Bitcoin, the first level of resistance is at $9,450. However, should we break this, then $9,750 is where bulls need to push toward to regain control.
Defending $8,900, which is the 236 Fib, is massive for Bitcoin right now. Should this level fail, I would be looking at $7,900 as a very real target should the bears win this battle.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of @officiallykeith and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
- 3 Reasons Why Ethereum Price Rallied 75% to Hit a 2-Year High at $400 - Cointelegraph - August 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020