Im reviewing the 2010s in Bitcoin. This is the story about 2016 in Bitcoin. Read about 2015here.
2016 was the year in which Mike Hearn, long-time Bitcoin developer, declared the project dead. Yet, amid rampant inflation in Venezuela, reports emerged that people were depending on Bitcoin for their very livelihoods. Craig Steven Wright claimed to be Satoshi Nakamoto, also, but failed to do so with cryptographic proof, leaving most skeptical. Heres 2016 in Bitcoin.
Venezuela Turns to Bitcoin
In the wake of the former president Hugo Chavezs death, Venezuela endured the highest inflation rate in the world in three years prior to 2016, which the IMF estimated to be between 186% and 720%
As Venezuelas economy slipped further into crisis, interest in Bitcoin increased, with reports surfacing as early as January that search and trading volumes were spiking. Throughout 2016, Venezuela continuously set new bitcoin transaction volume records, according to Coin.Dances tracking of LocalBitcoins activity in the country, and price controls there led to cheap electricity, and, thus, a proliferation of Bitcoin mining operations.
Venezuelan brokers traded Bolivars for Bitcoin. Many people used Surbitcoin, and then bought things over the internet that were not available in the country. They also used LocalBitcoins for peer-to-peer transactions and to be paid for freelancing gigs, as reported by The Merkle.
On Garrick Hilemans Bitcoin Market Potential Index, which ranks countries based on theirpotential for bitcoin adoption, Venezuela ranked second in April 2016. Bitcoin News spoke in 2016 with a person in Venezuela, whose identity was not revealed due to Venezuelas precarious economic and political situation.
Personally I use bitcoin as a way to save and secure my money, in order to protect my wealth from the hyperinflation we are currently facing. Bitcoin really can help Venezuela bloom economically and relieve Venezuelans from these controls imposed on us, he said.
The Venezuela resident added: The truth is that bitcoin helps us to guard and protect our money outside of any economic measure that the government will implement to harm us. Each day the trading community is growing in Venezuela, but it grows in mere clandestinity, very very underground.
Mike Hearn, Longtime Developer, Quits Bitcoin
Mike Hearn had spent 5 years developing Bitcoin. He had written a lot of the protocols code, talked about the technology on Sky TV and BBC News and in The Economist, as well as spoken to the Securities and Exchange Commission about Bitcoin.
He had a constant refrain. Bitcoin is an experiment and like all experiments, it can fail. In other words, dont invest what you can afford to lose.
But despite knowing that Bitcoin could fail all along, the now inescapable conclusion that it has failed still saddens me greatly, he wrote in a January 2016 in a Medium post. The fundamentals are broken and whatever happens to the price in the short term, the long term trend should probably be downwards. I will no longer be taking part in Bitcoin development and have sold all my coins.
Hearn argued that the Bitcoin community had failed the technology. What was meant to be a new, decentralised form of money that lacked systemically important institutions and too big to fail has become something even worse: a system completely controlled by just a handful of people.
He wrote that the network was on the brink of technical collapse. The mechanisms that should have prevented this outcome have broken down, and as a result theres no longer much reason to think Bitcoin can actually be better than the existing financial system.
He evoked unpredictable, high and rising fees, suggested Bitcoin is controlled by China, and lamented that the companies and people building it were in open and civil war.
Bitcoin Conference 2019
Craig Steven Wright Claims To Be Satoshi
Instead of providing cryptographic proof to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is Satoshi Nakamoto, Craig Steven Wright instead wrote a blog post in May stating that he was Satoshi Nakamoto.
Gavin Andresen, to whom Nakamoto originally entrusted the Bitcoin source code, and Jon Matonis, an early Bitcoin writer at Forbes, both corroborated Wrights claims, though Andresen later regretted doing so. His support of Wright cost Andresen his developer status on the Bitcoin core project.
His commit rights were revoked because there is a certain risk or possibility that he is hacked, Jonas Schnelli, a Bitcoin core developer, told Trace Mayer on the Bitcoin Knowledge podcast.
Wright acted a lot like Nakamoto, Andresen believed. He can also say things that sound, at first, ridiculousAfter spending time with him I am convinced beyond a reasonable doubt: Craig Wright is Satoshi.
A longtime Bitcoin businessman and investor, Mayer was not convinced by Wright. There are much better ways, and clearer ways he could do that by signing with his PGP key or the Genesis Block receiving key, he said.
A hacker stole in August nearly 119,756 bitcoins valued at the time at $72 million from Hong Kong-based Bitfinex, which was at the time the worlds largest dollar-based exchange for bitcoin. The volume stolen represented approximately 0.75 percent of all bitcoins in circulation.
The bitcoin was stolen from users segregated wallets, said Zane Tackett, Director of Community & Product Development for Bitfinex.
The hack took place just two months after the U.S. Commodity and Futures Trading Commission fined Bitfinex for $75,000 for offering illegal off-exchange financed commodity transactions in bitcoin and other digital currencies.
Japan Acknowledges Bitcoin As Real Money
The Japan Times reported in March that the Cabinet in Japan, through a series of bills, recognize virtual currencies like Bitcoin as asset-like values usable for making payments.
Japan from then on, in the hope of preventing money laundering and protecting consumers, required exchanges that handle virtual currencies to register with the Financial Services Agency.
The FSA reportedly began looking into new rules after MtGox shut down in 2014.
Swiss Railway Operator Enables Bitcoin Transactions
The Swiss Railway Operator SBB (CFF) in November enabled bitcoin selling functionality on their automated ticket machines. Customers could trade Swiss francs for bitcoins on the SBB ticket machines.
There have been few possibilities to obtain bitcoins in Switzerland until now, SBB said. With its 1,000-plus ticket machines, SBB operates a dense, around-the-clock distribution network thats suited for more than just ticket sales.
SBB worked with Zug-based digital payments firm SweePay to enable the functionality. Transactions were limited to between 20 and 500 Swiss francs.
Thats 2016 in Bitcoin. Coming Soon: 2017
2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes
- The Biggest Threat To Bitcoin Is Back On Track - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and Three Major Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Below $9.4K - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin tumbles along with stocks amid coronavirus, questioning 'safe haven' theory - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- Why the analyst who called Bitcoins crash to $3,000 believes market could crater - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Is Likely Going Much Higher From Here - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- Tron CEO: Bitcoin to Break $100K in 2025 and Pull Up Other Coins - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Upcoming Bitcoin bull will be the last one we can predict, claims China mining tycoon - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- The Knives are Out on Crypto Twitter as Bitcoin OG Turns into Altcoin Shill - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Adoption Growing at Hyberbolic Rate, Half the World Set to Use Crypto in 7 Years: Willy Woo - The Daily Hodl - February 25th, 2020
- Beanie Babies and Black Markets: Where Mainstream Media Gets Bitcoin Wrong - Nasdaq - February 25th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Coin Rivet - February 25th, 2020
- The Stories of Bitcoin Magazine Revisited - Bitcoin Magazine - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Coronavirus Selloff Throws Cold Water on Safe-Haven Argument - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- Binance CEO Makes Rare Price PredictionSays This Is When To Buy Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoins Potential to Benefit the African-American Community - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- How to Protect Bitcoin for Your Heirs With the Push of a 'Dead Man's Button' - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- Theres a new way to anonymously swap Bitcoin for Monero - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- This Critical Bitcoin Short-Term Top is Sparking Big Correction Fears - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- On-Chain Activity Suggests Bitcoin Price Volatility Will Continue, Thanks to 'Whales' - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- The Surprising Way Millions Are Being Introduced To Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- SEC to Decide the Fate of Another Bitcoin ETF Proposal This Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- After Overnight Flash Crash, Here Are 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Will Rally Again - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- The Simpsons Just Ran a Bitcoin Segment, and Crypto Twitter Is Raving About It - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Why is the Bitcoin price crashing in tandem with the Dow Jones? - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- Over $17 Million USD In Bitcoin Contracts Liquidated, Is A Selloff To $9,000 On The Cards? - Coingape - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Fights to Hold $9.5K to Stave Off a Trend Reversal - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies, still directionless - FXStreet - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Gold Is Held Captive by Whale With Almost Half the Supply - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Signaled Sell And Its Vulnerable to a Massive Correction - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Following Decent $300 Surge Is Bitcoin Ready To Conquer $10,000 Again, Or Just A Temp Correction? - CryptoPotato - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bulls Back in the Driving Seat as Price Crosses $10K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Ready to Explode, According to This Key Metric - CCN.com - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Running a Bitcoin Node Is Easier Than You Think - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin to See a Massive Trend-Defining Movement Because of This Simple Pattern - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Zooms Past $10,200 But Are We Really Done With The Downside? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Things You Need To Be A Successful Bitcoin HODLer - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Forms Key Bullish Pattern That Doubled BTCs Value; Possible Run To $20K? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- Real Bitcoin volume is exploding as seen in Bakkt, fueling the crypto rally - CryptoSlate - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin back to $10K Proves the Bulls Still in Command - FXStreet - February 19th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Bulls Need To Be Very Careful Here: A Big Pullback Is Still Possible - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Is Used by Activists and Refugees to Promote Human Rights - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- Here's how bitcoin gets to $12,000 - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Tron CEO Failed to Convince Warren Buffet on the Merits of Bitcoin - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Jimmy Nguyen discusses future of sports with Bitcoin SV - CoinGeek - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin is coming to Ethereum, again - Decrypt - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Optech Is Connecting the Open-Source and Corporate Worlds - Bitcoin Magazine - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020