Im reviewing the 2010s in Bitcoin. This is the story about 2017 in Bitcoin. Read about 2016here.
The price of Bitcoin reached in December 2017 nearly $20,000 per bitcoin. The bitcoin price traded between $930 and $978 on December 29, 2016, and surpassed $1,000 on New Years Day 2017, then $5,000 in October, and $10,000 in November.
On the news front, the year didnt start out so hot for Bitcoin. The Peoples Bank of China met in January with major bitcoin exchanges and advised them to adhere to the relevant laws and regulations.
Bitcoin saw a drop in trading volume due to new trading fees implemented by Chinese exchanges Huobi, OKCoin, and BTCC. OKCoin and Huobi would soon thereafter halt withdrawals for an entire month, in order to undergo an upgrade.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rejected in March the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, an exchange-traded fund, for which the twins had first filed in 2013. Bitcoin immediately sold off, with the price falling 18%, from almost $1,300 to $1,060.
"[T]he Commission is disapproving this proposed rule change because it does not find the proposal to be consistent with Section 6(b)(5) of the Exchange Act, which requires, among other things, that the rules of a national securities exchange be designed to prevent fraudulent and manipulative acts and practices and to protect investors and the public interest,the SEC stated.
Organizer David Bailey concludes Bitcoin Conference 2019.
The agency said a Bitcoin ETF would need "surveillance-sharing agreements with significant markets for trading the underlying commodity or derivatives on that commodity. And second, those markets must be regulated."
The twins didnt sweat it. "We remain optimistic and committed to bringing COIN [the proposed ticker] to market, and look forward to continuing to work with the SEC staff, Tyler Winklevoss, chief financial officer of Digital Asset Services, stated. We began this journey almost four years ago, and are determined to see it through. We agree with the SEC that regulation and oversight are important to the health of any marketplace and the safety of all investors."
Just days after the ruling, the Bitcoin price had climbed back to its pre-ETF decision price.Then, between May and September, the Bitcoin price rocketed. Bitcoin set a new all-time high after all-time high before a brief correction.
At the end of May, Bitcoin increased to more than $2,000 for the first time ever, and weeks later it broke through $3,000.But, one day after Bitcoin surpassed $3,000, the price fell $300 in one hour.
The Bitcoin price eclipsed $5,000 the first week of September, but fell below $3,400 on September 14. One day later, the price fell below $3,000.
Amid the price increase, JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon said in September that Bitcoin is a fraud.
Its worse than tulip bulbs, Dimon said at CNBC-Institutional Investor Delivering Alpha. It wont end well. Someone is going to get killed.
He added: Its just not a real thing, eventually it will be closed.
By mid-October, the price of Bitcoin had yet again surpassed $5,000. In November and December, the price went even more parabolic. Bitcoin hit nearly $18,000 on December 15, which was a more than 1,700 percent increase since the start of the year and an 80% increase in December alone.
Between December 16-17, the price of Bitcoin increased 5% in 24 hours to it's all-time high of $19,783.06, a 1,824% increase since Jan. 1.
One of the biggest market corrections Bitcoin has seen to date followed, as the price fell below $11,000. The Bitcoin price swiftly increased yet again to more than $16,000, but, by Dec. 28, had fallen to about $13,500. It ended the year 2017 at just above $14,000.
Thats 2017 in Bitcoin. Coming soon: 2018.
Here is the original post:
2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes
- The Biggest Threat To Bitcoin Is Back On Track - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and Three Major Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Below $9.4K - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin tumbles along with stocks amid coronavirus, questioning 'safe haven' theory - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- Why the analyst who called Bitcoins crash to $3,000 believes market could crater - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Is Likely Going Much Higher From Here - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- Tron CEO: Bitcoin to Break $100K in 2025 and Pull Up Other Coins - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Upcoming Bitcoin bull will be the last one we can predict, claims China mining tycoon - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- The Knives are Out on Crypto Twitter as Bitcoin OG Turns into Altcoin Shill - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Adoption Growing at Hyberbolic Rate, Half the World Set to Use Crypto in 7 Years: Willy Woo - The Daily Hodl - February 25th, 2020
- Beanie Babies and Black Markets: Where Mainstream Media Gets Bitcoin Wrong - Nasdaq - February 25th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Coin Rivet - February 25th, 2020
- The Stories of Bitcoin Magazine Revisited - Bitcoin Magazine - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Coronavirus Selloff Throws Cold Water on Safe-Haven Argument - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- Binance CEO Makes Rare Price PredictionSays This Is When To Buy Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoins Potential to Benefit the African-American Community - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- How to Protect Bitcoin for Your Heirs With the Push of a 'Dead Man's Button' - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- Theres a new way to anonymously swap Bitcoin for Monero - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- This Critical Bitcoin Short-Term Top is Sparking Big Correction Fears - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- On-Chain Activity Suggests Bitcoin Price Volatility Will Continue, Thanks to 'Whales' - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- The Surprising Way Millions Are Being Introduced To Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- SEC to Decide the Fate of Another Bitcoin ETF Proposal This Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- After Overnight Flash Crash, Here Are 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Will Rally Again - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- The Simpsons Just Ran a Bitcoin Segment, and Crypto Twitter Is Raving About It - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Why is the Bitcoin price crashing in tandem with the Dow Jones? - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- Over $17 Million USD In Bitcoin Contracts Liquidated, Is A Selloff To $9,000 On The Cards? - Coingape - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Fights to Hold $9.5K to Stave Off a Trend Reversal - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies, still directionless - FXStreet - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Gold Is Held Captive by Whale With Almost Half the Supply - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Signaled Sell And Its Vulnerable to a Massive Correction - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Following Decent $300 Surge Is Bitcoin Ready To Conquer $10,000 Again, Or Just A Temp Correction? - CryptoPotato - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bulls Back in the Driving Seat as Price Crosses $10K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Ready to Explode, According to This Key Metric - CCN.com - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Running a Bitcoin Node Is Easier Than You Think - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin to See a Massive Trend-Defining Movement Because of This Simple Pattern - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Zooms Past $10,200 But Are We Really Done With The Downside? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Things You Need To Be A Successful Bitcoin HODLer - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Forms Key Bullish Pattern That Doubled BTCs Value; Possible Run To $20K? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- Real Bitcoin volume is exploding as seen in Bakkt, fueling the crypto rally - CryptoSlate - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin back to $10K Proves the Bulls Still in Command - FXStreet - February 19th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Bulls Need To Be Very Careful Here: A Big Pullback Is Still Possible - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Is Used by Activists and Refugees to Promote Human Rights - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- Here's how bitcoin gets to $12,000 - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Tron CEO Failed to Convince Warren Buffet on the Merits of Bitcoin - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Jimmy Nguyen discusses future of sports with Bitcoin SV - CoinGeek - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin is coming to Ethereum, again - Decrypt - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Optech Is Connecting the Open-Source and Corporate Worlds - Bitcoin Magazine - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020