May22, 20206 min read
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
Despite recent price volatilityand global macroeconomic uncertainty, 2020 is a big year for Bitcoin. Although a large number of businesses and private individuals are still apprehensive about adopting cryptocurrencies, the number of blockchain-dependent businesses and Bitcoin users is steadily rising having more than quadrupled over the past three years.
There are several very good reasons why its fair to assume Bitcoin is not only here to staybut about to positively flourish.
Related: Is Cryptocurrency Coming Back or Going Away for Good? 6 Experts Weigh In.
Bitcoin, due to blockchain technology, is decentralized. This means that there is no central authority like a bank or state apparatus in charge of the currency. Some argue that there are pros and cons to this, but one thing is certain decentralization provides a higher level of security for the currency. The fact that Bitcoin is not centralized makes it less vulnerable to security threats and more resilient and efficient.
Additionally, while Bitcoin is more pseudonymous than anonymous,transactions are completed under a pseudonymbut can still be linked to a physical user. Many users are uncomfortable entering their banking and personal details online, so Bitcoin offers an alternative that, at the very least, appears safer.
All thats required to perform transactions with Bitcoin is a smartphone with internet access. Sinceno physical banking institutions areinvolved,cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin have an advantage, particularly in developing countries where traditional banking is lacking or underdeveloped, like in some areas of Africa. Since its easier to set up an internet connection than it is to create a physical banking network, Bitcoin is likely the currency of the future for many areas of the world.
As we become increasingly used to apps and software solutions for everyday tasks and problems, were beginning to expect that "theres an app for that."
If theres an easier, more efficient way to conduct business or complete service through the use of technology, most people will take advantage of it. And Bitcoin although its underlying technology is highly complex is incredibly easy to use.
Anyone whos ever completed an international bank transfer through traditional means can tell you that its not the easiest process and certainly not the cheapest. Online platforms such as PayPal or TransferWise have made it both easier and cheaper than standard bank operations, but there are still fees and configuration issues involved.
Related: 4 Ways to Smartly Invest in Cryptocurrencies
Bitcoin, meanwhile, makes it possible to complete international transfers instantly and,most importantly,without third-party fees. This is particularly important for business owners. As markets become increasingly globalized, more and more customers are takingadvantage of services and products provided by companies from abroad.
Let's consider basic economics. Part of the design of Bitcoin involves a limit as to how many coins will ever exist setting the cap at around 21 million. This was a conscious decision on the part of Satoshi Nakamoto,the entity behind the invention and deployment of Bitcoin.
This limit effectively makes Bitcoin inflation-resistant, giving it a major advantage over traditional currencies, all of which are subject to losing value at certain times. The anti-inflationary measures mean that Bitcoin will always retain its value, and also make it a viable alternative to traditional currencies in countries where hyperinflation is rampant, such as Venezuela.
In addition, the halving will occur this year, which will slow the rate of introduction of new Bitcoin into the ecosystem as the total supply marches ever closer to 21 million.
Using Bitcoin including its implementation in everyday businesses -doesnt require any specific alterations or complex systems to be put into place. The cryptocurrencys accompanying apps and software are compatible with existing technology smartphones and computers meaning that no additional investment is necessary to start using Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is valued not only as a currency but also as an investment not unlike gold or other precious metals. Since Bitcoin appeared on the market, investors have expressed widely different opinions on the cryptocurrency as a potential investment. Some found it to be an ideal opportunity, many believed it too short-lived and/or volatile, and most knew too little about it to have an opinion.
A 2019 survey by Grayscale is highly illuminating on the subject. A sizeable portion of investors 36 percent stated that they would consider an investment in Bitcoin. Crucially, though, of the remaining 64 percent those who wouldnt consider investing in Bitcoin a huge 89 percentsaid their lack of interest stems from having insufficient knowledge about cryptocurrencies.
Its a logical prediction, therefore, that as the use of Bitcoin as a currency becomes more widespread and understanding of the nature of cryptocurrency more common, investors will be increasingly comfortable with considering it a worthy investment over the coming years.
Related: Bitcoin Ultimatum: A New Fork to Solve Old Problems
Superior is the keyword here because Bitcoin is no longer the only cryptocurrency around. Ethereum, for instance, was one of the first competitors to emerge, imitating the technology behind Bitcoin. However, for the competition to be a threat to Bitcoin, it would need to have some specific and tangible advantages.
Fiat currencies have failedbecause humans cant help but print more money. There has never been a time where a deflationary alternative built on code and mathematics is needed. Bitcoin has a compelling use-case as a store of value, particularly in countries experiencing hyperinflation such as Iran, Turkeyand Venezuela. Bitcoin also has a compelling use case in remittances, and greater adoption by financial institutions will help provide these services at more competitive rates.
One thing is certain: Bitcoin and digital currencies are here to stay.
Originally posted here:
8 Reasons Why This Could Be the Time to Take Bitcoin Seriously - Entrepreneur
- Spiritual Reflections on the Bitcoin Halving - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Economy Fuels Faith in Crypto: Trust In Bitcoin Over Banks Increased 3X Since 2017 - Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Traders 'Buy the Dip' as Bitcoin Hovers at $9,000 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Be More Resilient to Global Electric Failure Than Banks - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- How This Billionaire-Backed Crypto Startup Gets Paid To Not Mine Bitcoin - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Halving Dust Settles, Network Awakens to Costly New Reality - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- 'No need' to invest in bitcoin or gold during the pandemic, says wealth manager - CNBC - May 23rd, 2020
- Goldman Sachs Is Hosting A Client Call About Bitcoin, Gold and Inflation - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- This Bitcoin Documentary From Africa Is Streaming on Amazon Prime - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Monster 369MB Block Processed on Bitcoin SV - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- Team Behind Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC Explains Shutdown - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Block Generation Speed Falls to 2017 Lows - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- You can now bet on Bitcoin or Ethereum with this new priceless token - Decrypt - May 23rd, 2020
- Exposure to -1x the Daily Performance: Bitcoin.com Exchange Adds Inverse Token BTCSHORT | Promoted - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- This Metric Shows Bitcoin Is Undervalued Even After 150% Price Rally - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- The Fed Is Bitcoins Best Friend - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Here's when Bitcoin will actually reach 99.99% uptime - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- Bug Forces Shutdown of Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- Citi's Tony McLaughlin on CBDCs, Libra and bitcoin - Finextra - May 19th, 2020
- From Buenos Aires to Beirut - Covid-19 Excuse Restricts Millions of Citizens from Withdrawing Their Own Money | Economics - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com's Mining Video Censored: The Tale of Youtube's Blatant Censorship and Propaganda - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Product Demos During the Halving - Bitcoin Magazine - May 19th, 2020
- J.K. Rowling Made the Grave Mistake of Asking the Internet to Explain Bitcoin - InsideHook - May 19th, 2020
- ISIS's $300 million war chest is hidden in Bitcoin, says think tank - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- S2F Hopium: Report and Twitter Critics Find Flaws With Bitcoin's Stock-to-Flow Ratio - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- 45 Older-Generation Bitcoin Miners Are Unprofitable After the Reward Halving - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin to Paint 2 Bullish Golden Crosses This Week, as it Eyes $10.5K Close - Bitcoinist - May 18th, 2020
- Fund manager: Past 6 weeks have been one of Bitcoins most bullish periods ever - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- P2P Bitcoin Trade Volumes and Inflation in Latin America Are on the Rise - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips as Stock Markets Close Lower on the Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bears Say These 5 Metrics Will Stop BTC From Reclaiming $10K - Cointelegraph - May 16th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hot Again and Crypto Miners Are Hoarding Or Are They? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Australian Woman Charged With Unlawfully Exchanging Over $3M in Crypto - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Heres how Bitcoin sentiment changed over the halving - Decrypt - May 16th, 2020
- CEO at Real Vision Raoul Pal Bets on Bitcoin Up 100x in Next Five Years - Cointelegraph - May 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Suddenly Back On The Move - Forbes - May 14th, 2020
- Understanding the Growing Trend of Bitcoin Currency Exchange - The Duke Perspective - Duke Today - May 14th, 2020
- Man behind $2 million in Bitcoin hacks arrested in Ireland - Micky News - May 14th, 2020
- Craig Wright Threatened to Crash The Bitcoin Price So What Happened? - Cointelegraph - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has HalvedWhat Now? - Forbes - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin poised to shine as governments print more money: report - Decrypt - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Crashes as Halving Hype Loses Impetus Over the Weekend - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining is a Silly and Confusing Term - Anchorage Press - May 12th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50: Bitmain, the Behemoth of Bitcoin Mining - CoinDesk - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Staging a Comeback Reminiscent of 2017 Bubble Frenzy - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Craig Wright: Bitcoin truth versus the 'turd that is fake news' - CoinGeek - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Traders Say Binance Cut Their Bitcoin Shorts: Here's Why It Happened - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: Will 'halving' fuel another monster rally? - The Australian Financial Review - May 11th, 2020
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Coronavirus sows doubt over bitcoin's rally after third 'halving' - Reuters - May 11th, 2020
- Zcash Alliance Aims to Bring Privacy Tech to Bitcoin, Cosmos and Ethereum - CoinDesk - May 11th, 2020
- There's more Bitcoin on Ethereum than in the Lightning Network - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Erik Voorhees: Bitcoin will replace the Feds 'pre-mined' dollar - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Review Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the Future of the Internet - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin could hit above $100000 by August 2021 - Nairametrics - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price action causes an increase in spread on low-tier exchanges - AMBCrypto - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin 101: What is Bitcoin? - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- One of Bitcoin's Earliest Miners Is Dedicating $66M in Crypto to a Fund of Funds - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Dollar Vigilante Founder Talks Covid-19 and Economic Crisis: 'The Modern Financial System Is at the End of It's Rope' | Interview - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Here Are the Options: Bitcoin Derivatives Give BTC Halving Insight - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin ATM Locations Surge to Over 7700 Worldwide Amid Global Crisis - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Decentralized Finance Startup Focused on Bitcoin Cash Raises $1 Million for Expansion - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Revenue in Square's Cash App Tops Fiat Revenue for First Time in Q1 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoins Gut Check: The Time of Crisis as the Moment of Truth - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Emerging Markets: The Middle East - Consensus - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Coinshares Acquires Gabi Trading: New Unit Traded $3 Billion Worth of Crypto in 2019 | News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Analyst Tone Vays Predicts 12-Month Bitcoin (BTC) Trajectory, Says Three Factors Will Drive People Into Crypto - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits April High; Crypto Portfolios Get Stimulus Injection - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD paces above $7,800, the focus shifts to $9,000 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH is ten times more profitable than Bitcoin in 2020 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Have Actually Helped Bitcoin - Live Bitcoin News - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Take the Money and Run - Bitcoin Transfers (even within the same state) Provide Basis for Federal Jurisdiction in Money Laundering Conviction - JD... - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin returns to form with solid price growth amid the coronavirus pandemic - SiliconANGLE - April 27th, 2020
- HandCash make Bitcoin more accessible 'for the rest of us' - CoinGeek - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTCs Bullish Formation Might Reach $8,000 Quicker Than Expected - CryptoPotato - April 27th, 2020