Bitcoin has found fresh support this year, bolstered by growing disquiet among investors over central bank and government stimulus measures.
The bitcoin price, up around 50% since January to $11,400 per bitcoin, has rallied in line with equity markets since a coronavirus-induced crash in March.
Now, after the bitcoin and cryptocurrency community was set alight by a bold $1 trillion prediction from a major Tesla TSLA investor last month, a former Goldman Sachs GS hedge fund manager has said the bitcoin price could hit $1 million in as little as five yearsa whopping 10,000% increase.
The bitcoin price has already surged so far this year--though something bitcoin proponents think it ... [+] could be poised to move much higher soon.
"I think [$1 million per bitcoin is] about right; whether its five years, six years," Raoul Pal, the founder and chief executive of Global Macro Investor, told Stansberry Research in a recent interview, published on YouTube.
"Just from what I know from all of the institutions and all of the people I speak to, there is an enormous wall of money coming into this," Pal said, pointing to "coming" improvements in "the pipes" that will allow investors to buy bitcoin as the driver behind the expected investment.
"Its on everybodys radar screen and theres a lot of smart people working on it," added Pal, who revealed he has now dedicated more than 50% of his portfolio to bitcoin.
Bitcoin has been pushed into the limelight in recent weeks by a number of high-profile companies investing in the cryptocurrency, with payments company Square SQ , led by Twitter TWTR chief executive and outspoken bitcoin advocate Jack Dorsey, buying $50 million worth of bitcoin1% of its cash reserves.
"My trading positions are relatively small, because I don't think there's as much opportunity as there is in bitcoin. So really, mainly, a bit of cash, some gold, and bitcoin," Pal said. "And I'm even toying with the idea of selling my gold to buy bitcoin, more bitcoin."
The bitcoin price has added some 40% over the last 12 months.
Meanwhile, other bitcoin and cryptocurrency proponents have also been out in force over recent weeks, talking up bitcoin's prospects.
"Investor activity is picking up considerably with various on-chain metrics and ongoingand heighteningglobal political, economic and social turbulence suggesting that there will be a [bitcoin] price surge before the end of the year," Nigel Green, chief executive of independent financial advisory deVere Group, said via email, pointing to "an avalanche" of interest in bitcoin in recent weeks from "household-name investors."
"Like gold, bitcoin can be expected to retain its value or even grow in value when other assets fall, therefore enabling investors to reduce their exposure to losses. Investors will increase exposure to decentralised, non-sovereign, secure digital currencies, such as bitcoin, to help shield them from the potential issues in traditional markets."
Earlier this month, another Goldman Sachs veteran, the former billionaire hedge fund manager-turned bitcoin and cryptocurrency investor Michael Novogratz, warned Goldman it will soon be scrambling to catch up with its head start in bitcoin and crypto.
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021
- Aussie brothers hit Nasdaq with plan to turn Bitcoin green - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Too Big to Fail? - Institutional Investor - November 6th, 2021
- Estimating This Cycle's Bitcoin Price Top - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Billionaire Tom Steyer: This type of bitcoin venture is a disaster for the environment - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Moving $25 Billion in BTC via Alternate Chains There's Now Over 400000 Tokenized Bitcoins in Existence - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- New York's Incoming Mayor Wants to Be Paid in Bitcoin (At Least Temporarily) - Gizmodo - November 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price consolidation could be over, says trader as Ethereum, Polkadot hit all-time highs - Cointelegraph - November 6th, 2021
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Cryptos stagnate but one readies to explode - FXStreet - November 6th, 2021
- Spending a String of 20000 BTC 2 Bitcoin Whale Transactions Move Over $1.2 Billion Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- Square says bitcoin demand slowed in Q3 but picked back up in October; earnings weigh on stock - MarketWatch - November 6th, 2021
- Why The Navajo Are Mining Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Roughly One-Third of Bitcoin Is Controlled by a Small Cabal of Whales, According to New Study - Gizmodo - October 26th, 2021
- Heres the Line in the Sand for a Bitcoin Breakout, According to Veteran Crypto Trader Tone Vays - The Daily Hodl - October 26th, 2021
- As bitcoin soars in value again, here's what to think about before you buy - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Some Are Betting on State-of-the-Art Mining Machines as Bitcoin (BTC) Breaks New Price Ground - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin is over $66,000. Here are 3 questions to ask yourself before you invest - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- OLB Group Expands Bitcoin Mining Operation With 500 ASIC Miners, Expects $1M Monthly Revenue - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Swarm of Alternative Crypto Assets Outpace Bitcoin's Gains by Double Digits This Week Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 26th, 2021
- Elon Musk on his crypto portfolio: I only own bitcoin, ether and dogecoin - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Why is Illinois' largest electric utility mining Bitcoin near one of its coal-fired power plants? - Bloomington Pantagraph - October 26th, 2021
- US Government To Auction 4.94 Bitcoin Worth Over $300,000 - Bitcoin Magazine - October 26th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Needs To Clear $64K For Hopes of a Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - October 26th, 2021
- Coinbase Follows Bitcoin Into Consolidation: Is The Stock Headed For $415? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises to the highest since May, is now up 30% in October - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin jumps to nearly 5-month high, topping $55,000 on Wednesday - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs back above $50,000 as it starts October on a tear - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- What Caused Bitcoin Prices To Reach Their Highest Since May? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Five-Month High - TheStreet - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up 30% in Octoberand within striking range of its all-time high - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Swiss think tank initiates vote to add Bitcoin in federal constitution - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Buying bitcoin or any other crypto is a huge leap of faith and you don't want to be the 'greater fool' - MarketWatch - October 12th, 2021
- BTC's Price Rise Gives 5-Year-Old Mining Rigs New Life Bitcoin Hashrate Jumps Close to 20% Since Last Week Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- Has Bitcoin Improved As A Flight To Safety Investment? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 12th, 2021
- How Henry Ford Envisaged Bitcoin 100 Years Ago A Unique 'Energy Currency' That Could 'Stop Wars' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- 3 warning signs suggest the Bitcoin price rally is overextended - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- BitMEX CEO Predicts Five Developing Countries Will Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender Next Year Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs to highest in nearly two weeks - Reuters - October 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin gains, ether, cardano slip. Latest rates here - Mint - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Weekly Technical Analysis October 4th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 4th, 2021
- Visa's New Payment System Will Accept Everything From Bitcoin to Dollars - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- New Rules Could Affect Robinhood and Bitcoin Traders. Here's What You Need to Know - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021