The threat of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies were mostly laughed off by central bankers before this year but social media giant Facebook's libra project changed that.
The bitcoin price has doubled since the beginning of this year due to interest in bitcoin and crypto from the world's biggest technology companies but its recovery stalled after Facebook's plans looked likely to attract regulatory scrutiny.
[Update] After a sudden sell-off earlier this week, bitcoin has rallied back to almost $8,000, reaching $7,870 per bitcoin on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange after trading at $6,515 just a few days earlier. The cause of the rally was not immediately clear, although bitcoin has been known to pump this time of year and specially over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Now, outgoing European Central Bank (ECB) executive board member Benot Cur, who last year described bitcoin as "the evil spawn of the financial crisis," has outlined plans for a European "central bank digital currency" to rival the likes of Facebook's libra and bitcoin.
Benoit Coeure, who was this month appointed the head of the Bank for International Settlements ... [+] innovation hub, last year described bitcoin as "evil."
"A central bank digital currency could ensure that citizens remain able to use central bank money even if cash is eventually no longer used," said Cur, speaking at a joint conference held by the ECB and the National Bank of Belgium this week.
"A digital currency of this sort could take a variety of forms, the benefits and costs of which the ECB and other central banks are currently investigating."
Facebook's plans to launch its own private digital currency, governed by a group of some 20 different companies, provoked a powerful reaction from world leaders and central bankers earlier this year, with many fearful libra would undermine countries' economic control.
In August, Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who has previously poured scorn on bitcoin and its crypto peers, has said a global digital currency, like bitcoin, could replace the U.S. dollar as the worlds reserve currency.
"The current situation has attracted new initiatives that aim to overcome shortcomings in cross-border retail payments by building a new separate payments ecosystem," Cur said, without directly addressing bitcoin, crypto or Facebook's libra project.
"These initiatives highlight the rapidly rising consumer demand for payment services that work across borders and that are also faster, cheaper and easier to use. Among younger people in particular, there is a willingness and curiosity to use new technologies and try new providers."
A draft European Union document, seen by newswire Reuters this month, revealed the trading bloc is considering a common approach to cryptocurrencies, including possibly banning projects deemed too high-risk.
The plans could be adopted by E.U. finance ministers as soon as next month, according to Reuters, and would escalate an E.U. regulatory campaign against cryptocurrencies.
Cur also warned "there are clear signs that Europe is at risk of losing its economic edge," as the likes of Facebook and countries including China look to develop their own digital currencies.
"A pan-European strategy that facilitates instant, secure and inexpensive paymentsboth online and in brick and mortar storeshas the potential to make up lost ground and meet the rising needs of consumers for efficient cross-border payments," Cur, who was appointed head of the newly created innovation hub at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) this month, added.
Earlier this month, former ECB president Jean-Claude Trichet slammed bitcoin and Facebook's libra project, warning bitcoin is "not real" and not the future of money.
Meanwhile, outspoken bitcoin critic Nouriel Roubini, professor of economics at New York University's Stern School of Business, has declared a "total crypto-apocalypse," due to bitcoin's recent wild price swings.
"[Bitcoin] down 6% from peak; other top 10 cryptocurrencies down 80% from peak. 1,000s of other shitcoins down 95% to 99% from peak," Roubini said via Twitter, branding the situation "crypto-carnage."
"Despite the utopian claims of its proponents, bitcoin is a right-wing nightmare which facilitates tax evasion, money laundering and environmental degradation," Roubini said earlier this year.
However, some in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency industry have argued central bank and government-backed digital currencies miss the point of bitcoin.
"There is an appetite, a huge and growing one, for currencies that are not controlled by central banks and governments," said NigelGreen, chief executive of financial advisory group deVere. "Supporters believe that these digital currencies are part of the antidote to what they see as the ills caused by the traditional system."
From next year, Cur will help central banks explore the benefits of financial technologies such as a digital currency at BIS.
The bitcoin price has climbed since the beginning of this year, largely due to some of the world's ... [+] biggest technology companies indicating their interest in bitcoin and crypto.
Cur will work alongside BIS head Agustin Carstens who has described bitcoin as "a combination of a bubble, a Ponzi scheme and an environmental disaster."
Earlier this year, Christine Lagarde, who has recently replaced Mario Draghi as president of the European Central Bank (ECB), warned that cryptocurrencies are "shaking the system"potentially signalling a change in the ECB's approach to bitcoin and crypto.
Continue reading here:
As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Facebooks Libra Stablecoin Project, Ethereum (ETH), Near, Bitcoin Cash are Currently Most Active Development Projects: Report - Crowdfund Insider - June 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin on the brink of a breakthrough? Or a crash? Same writer offers up two scenarios - Straight.com - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Drop to Key $9K Support Could Place the Uptrend in Peril - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Last Time This Key Statistic Hit All-Time High, Bitcoin Saw A 3900% Parabolic Rally - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's March to $100K: A Number of Crypto Experts Who Believe the Price per BTC Touches Six-Digits | Market Updates - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Analyst predicts major correction in price of Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 And Jerome Powell Will Test Bitcoin's Resilience - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Bitcoin Price Could Be on the Verge of a New Uptrend - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- BTSE Exchange Offers Futures Contracts Tracking Tether Gold and Priced in Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Forks Have Trounced Bitcoin This Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Nightmare Come True: User Pays $2.6 Million in Transaction Fees to Send $134 of Ether | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- This bootstrapped startup built an eBay for Bitcoins and is heating up Indias crypto market - YourStory - June 13th, 2020
- Stocks, Safe Havens and Hodlers 5 Things to Eye in Bitcoin This Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Bitcoin Trade Is Developing Well - RealMoney - TheStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price could be on the cusp of major bullish breakout - IG Bank - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rises Above $10K for First Time in 25 Days as Protests Roil US Cities - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- JPMorganBitcoins Biggest EnemySuddenly Appears To Be Going All In On Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Surges Above $10,000 Amid Unrest, Riots In USWill It Hold? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rising, Satoshi Discoveries, & Google Enters the Race: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Last Time This Happened, Bitcoin Surged From $3,150 to $14,000 - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 2nd, 2020
- On the 'Bitcoin Fixes This' Meme - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- Reddcoin (RDD) Nears PoSV v2 Activation, Clearing Way for Explosive Developments | Press release - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- With Riots Erupting in US Cities, Using Tools of Peaceful Protest Can be More Meaningful - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- The Many Facts Pointing to Adam Back Being Satoshi | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- $9M and Over 4,500 Fusions - Bitcoin Cash Supporters Anticipate the Cashfusion Audit | Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- South Korea to Start Taxing Bitcoin Profits in 2021 | Taxes Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections on the Bitcoin Halving - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Economy Fuels Faith in Crypto: Trust In Bitcoin Over Banks Increased 3X Since 2017 - Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- 8 Reasons Why This Could Be the Time to Take Bitcoin Seriously - Entrepreneur - May 23rd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Traders 'Buy the Dip' as Bitcoin Hovers at $9,000 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Be More Resilient to Global Electric Failure Than Banks - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- How This Billionaire-Backed Crypto Startup Gets Paid To Not Mine Bitcoin - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Halving Dust Settles, Network Awakens to Costly New Reality - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- 'No need' to invest in bitcoin or gold during the pandemic, says wealth manager - CNBC - May 23rd, 2020
- Goldman Sachs Is Hosting A Client Call About Bitcoin, Gold and Inflation - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- This Bitcoin Documentary From Africa Is Streaming on Amazon Prime - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Monster 369MB Block Processed on Bitcoin SV - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- Team Behind Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC Explains Shutdown - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Block Generation Speed Falls to 2017 Lows - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- You can now bet on Bitcoin or Ethereum with this new priceless token - Decrypt - May 23rd, 2020
- Exposure to -1x the Daily Performance: Bitcoin.com Exchange Adds Inverse Token BTCSHORT | Promoted - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- This Metric Shows Bitcoin Is Undervalued Even After 150% Price Rally - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- The Fed Is Bitcoins Best Friend - Forbes - May 19th, 2020