The threat of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies were mostly laughed off by central bankers before this year but social media giant Facebook's libra project changed that.
The bitcoin price has doubled since the beginning of this year due to interest in bitcoin and crypto from the world's biggest technology companies but its recovery stalled after Facebook's plans looked likely to attract regulatory scrutiny.
[Update] After a sudden sell-off earlier this week, bitcoin has rallied back to almost $8,000, reaching $7,870 per bitcoin on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange after trading at $6,515 just a few days earlier. The cause of the rally was not immediately clear, although bitcoin has been known to pump this time of year and specially over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Now, outgoing European Central Bank (ECB) executive board member Benot Cur, who last year described bitcoin as "the evil spawn of the financial crisis," has outlined plans for a European "central bank digital currency" to rival the likes of Facebook's libra and bitcoin.
Benoit Coeure, who was this month appointed the head of the Bank for International Settlements ... [+] innovation hub, last year described bitcoin as "evil."
"A central bank digital currency could ensure that citizens remain able to use central bank money even if cash is eventually no longer used," said Cur, speaking at a joint conference held by the ECB and the National Bank of Belgium this week.
"A digital currency of this sort could take a variety of forms, the benefits and costs of which the ECB and other central banks are currently investigating."
Facebook's plans to launch its own private digital currency, governed by a group of some 20 different companies, provoked a powerful reaction from world leaders and central bankers earlier this year, with many fearful libra would undermine countries' economic control.
In August, Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who has previously poured scorn on bitcoin and its crypto peers, has said a global digital currency, like bitcoin, could replace the U.S. dollar as the worlds reserve currency.
"The current situation has attracted new initiatives that aim to overcome shortcomings in cross-border retail payments by building a new separate payments ecosystem," Cur said, without directly addressing bitcoin, crypto or Facebook's libra project.
"These initiatives highlight the rapidly rising consumer demand for payment services that work across borders and that are also faster, cheaper and easier to use. Among younger people in particular, there is a willingness and curiosity to use new technologies and try new providers."
A draft European Union document, seen by newswire Reuters this month, revealed the trading bloc is considering a common approach to cryptocurrencies, including possibly banning projects deemed too high-risk.
The plans could be adopted by E.U. finance ministers as soon as next month, according to Reuters, and would escalate an E.U. regulatory campaign against cryptocurrencies.
Cur also warned "there are clear signs that Europe is at risk of losing its economic edge," as the likes of Facebook and countries including China look to develop their own digital currencies.
"A pan-European strategy that facilitates instant, secure and inexpensive paymentsboth online and in brick and mortar storeshas the potential to make up lost ground and meet the rising needs of consumers for efficient cross-border payments," Cur, who was appointed head of the newly created innovation hub at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) this month, added.
Earlier this month, former ECB president Jean-Claude Trichet slammed bitcoin and Facebook's libra project, warning bitcoin is "not real" and not the future of money.
Meanwhile, outspoken bitcoin critic Nouriel Roubini, professor of economics at New York University's Stern School of Business, has declared a "total crypto-apocalypse," due to bitcoin's recent wild price swings.
"[Bitcoin] down 6% from peak; other top 10 cryptocurrencies down 80% from peak. 1,000s of other shitcoins down 95% to 99% from peak," Roubini said via Twitter, branding the situation "crypto-carnage."
"Despite the utopian claims of its proponents, bitcoin is a right-wing nightmare which facilitates tax evasion, money laundering and environmental degradation," Roubini said earlier this year.
However, some in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency industry have argued central bank and government-backed digital currencies miss the point of bitcoin.
"There is an appetite, a huge and growing one, for currencies that are not controlled by central banks and governments," said NigelGreen, chief executive of financial advisory group deVere. "Supporters believe that these digital currencies are part of the antidote to what they see as the ills caused by the traditional system."
From next year, Cur will help central banks explore the benefits of financial technologies such as a digital currency at BIS.
The bitcoin price has climbed since the beginning of this year, largely due to some of the world's ... [+] biggest technology companies indicating their interest in bitcoin and crypto.
Cur will work alongside BIS head Agustin Carstens who has described bitcoin as "a combination of a bubble, a Ponzi scheme and an environmental disaster."
Earlier this year, Christine Lagarde, who has recently replaced Mario Draghi as president of the European Central Bank (ECB), warned that cryptocurrencies are "shaking the system"potentially signalling a change in the ECB's approach to bitcoin and crypto.
Continue reading here:
As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes
- Bitcoin: Why You Need It - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Prominent Analyst: Bitcoin Likely on Cusp of Making a Major Price Movement - newsBTC - December 7th, 2019
- If Bitcoin Looks Like It Isnt Trading, Its Because It Isnt - The Wall Street Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Facebook, Yahoo, And MSN Users Warned Over Serious New $250,000 Bitcoin Scam - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin price prediction: BTC/USD consolidates its position above the $7,500-level - FXStreet - December 7th, 2019
- The North American Bitcoin Conference Returns - Bitcoin News - December 7th, 2019
- Almost $9 Bln in Bitcoin Transferred, Reports Whale Alert, XRP Can't Do That, Bitcoiner Says - U.Today - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is Cratering Again, Some People Believe For The Last Time, Again - Dealbreaker - November 26th, 2019