The threat of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies were mostly laughed off by central bankers before this year but social media giant Facebook's libra project changed that.
The bitcoin price has doubled since the beginning of this year due to interest in bitcoin and crypto from the world's biggest technology companies but its recovery stalled after Facebook's plans looked likely to attract regulatory scrutiny.
[Update] After a sudden sell-off earlier this week, bitcoin has rallied back to almost $8,000, reaching $7,870 per bitcoin on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange after trading at $6,515 just a few days earlier. The cause of the rally was not immediately clear, although bitcoin has been known to pump this time of year and specially over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Now, outgoing European Central Bank (ECB) executive board member Benot Cur, who last year described bitcoin as "the evil spawn of the financial crisis," has outlined plans for a European "central bank digital currency" to rival the likes of Facebook's libra and bitcoin.
Benoit Coeure, who was this month appointed the head of the Bank for International Settlements ... [+] innovation hub, last year described bitcoin as "evil."
"A central bank digital currency could ensure that citizens remain able to use central bank money even if cash is eventually no longer used," said Cur, speaking at a joint conference held by the ECB and the National Bank of Belgium this week.
"A digital currency of this sort could take a variety of forms, the benefits and costs of which the ECB and other central banks are currently investigating."
Facebook's plans to launch its own private digital currency, governed by a group of some 20 different companies, provoked a powerful reaction from world leaders and central bankers earlier this year, with many fearful libra would undermine countries' economic control.
In August, Bank of England governor Mark Carney, who has previously poured scorn on bitcoin and its crypto peers, has said a global digital currency, like bitcoin, could replace the U.S. dollar as the worlds reserve currency.
"The current situation has attracted new initiatives that aim to overcome shortcomings in cross-border retail payments by building a new separate payments ecosystem," Cur said, without directly addressing bitcoin, crypto or Facebook's libra project.
"These initiatives highlight the rapidly rising consumer demand for payment services that work across borders and that are also faster, cheaper and easier to use. Among younger people in particular, there is a willingness and curiosity to use new technologies and try new providers."
A draft European Union document, seen by newswire Reuters this month, revealed the trading bloc is considering a common approach to cryptocurrencies, including possibly banning projects deemed too high-risk.
The plans could be adopted by E.U. finance ministers as soon as next month, according to Reuters, and would escalate an E.U. regulatory campaign against cryptocurrencies.
Cur also warned "there are clear signs that Europe is at risk of losing its economic edge," as the likes of Facebook and countries including China look to develop their own digital currencies.
"A pan-European strategy that facilitates instant, secure and inexpensive paymentsboth online and in brick and mortar storeshas the potential to make up lost ground and meet the rising needs of consumers for efficient cross-border payments," Cur, who was appointed head of the newly created innovation hub at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) this month, added.
Earlier this month, former ECB president Jean-Claude Trichet slammed bitcoin and Facebook's libra project, warning bitcoin is "not real" and not the future of money.
Meanwhile, outspoken bitcoin critic Nouriel Roubini, professor of economics at New York University's Stern School of Business, has declared a "total crypto-apocalypse," due to bitcoin's recent wild price swings.
"[Bitcoin] down 6% from peak; other top 10 cryptocurrencies down 80% from peak. 1,000s of other shitcoins down 95% to 99% from peak," Roubini said via Twitter, branding the situation "crypto-carnage."
"Despite the utopian claims of its proponents, bitcoin is a right-wing nightmare which facilitates tax evasion, money laundering and environmental degradation," Roubini said earlier this year.
However, some in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency industry have argued central bank and government-backed digital currencies miss the point of bitcoin.
"There is an appetite, a huge and growing one, for currencies that are not controlled by central banks and governments," said NigelGreen, chief executive of financial advisory group deVere. "Supporters believe that these digital currencies are part of the antidote to what they see as the ills caused by the traditional system."
From next year, Cur will help central banks explore the benefits of financial technologies such as a digital currency at BIS.
The bitcoin price has climbed since the beginning of this year, largely due to some of the world's ... [+] biggest technology companies indicating their interest in bitcoin and crypto.
Cur will work alongside BIS head Agustin Carstens who has described bitcoin as "a combination of a bubble, a Ponzi scheme and an environmental disaster."
Earlier this year, Christine Lagarde, who has recently replaced Mario Draghi as president of the European Central Bank (ECB), warned that cryptocurrencies are "shaking the system"potentially signalling a change in the ECB's approach to bitcoin and crypto.
Continue reading here:
As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - January 27th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Likely to Aim for $8,900 If It Holds Above $8,500, Crypto Analyst Predicts - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Surged to $8,950: Heres Why Analysts Expect a Bigger Price Explosion - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallied 230% Last Time This Signal Flashed, And Its Back Again - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Strong Bitcoin Rally Sparks Fears of a Virus-Driven Violent Recession - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- A Serious Bitcoin Correction to Occur if BTC Drops to This Level: Top Trader - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Tokyo Bitcoin theft duo arrested by police - Yahoo Finance - January 27th, 2020
- Top Bitcoin Benefits Naysayers Need to Know - Bitcoinist - January 27th, 2020
- Your Bitcoin (BTC) Should Be Seized to Pay for 'Climate Reparations,' Says Security Consultant - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Scarily Accurate Analyst Gives 4 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Wont Crash at $8,500 - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Bulls on their Marks above $8500, Analysts Point to the Last Stand for Bears - Coingape - January 27th, 2020
- Free Bitcoins: The Possibility to Waste Your Time and... - Coinspeaker - January 27th, 2020
- Renowned analysts comment on Bitcoin, Ethereum, and XRP as the uptrend resumes - CryptoSlate - January 27th, 2020
- Notes From the WEF: Oil-Producing Nations Want Dollar Alternatives, Just Not Bitcoin - Coindesk - January 27th, 2020
- HODL Strong: Over Half of The Bitcoin Supply Hasnt Moved in Over a Year - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Fades: What's Next? - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus Hedge? Bitcoin And Gold Rising Together As Chinese Lockdown Expands - CryptoPotato - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Just Broke $350 and $400 Seems Imminent: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Sorry Bears, Bitcoin Is Still In Mid-Term Uptrend: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- US Deficit Will Be at Least 6 Times Bitcoin Market Cap Every Year - Cointelegraph - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Puzzle Worth 2.1 BTC STILL Unsolved, Find New Clues Here - Bitcoinist - January 24th, 2020
- Five Years of Bitcoin Trendlines All Lead to This One Point; Fireworks Inbound - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Will Gold and Bitcoin Prices Rise as 2nd City in China... - Coinspeaker - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks Below $8,300, Is The Bull Rally Already Over? - newsBTC - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bears take over and draw a bloody moon - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin 'to increase 98% in value by end of year' - Netimperative - January 24th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Set for a dive before the next big bull market - FXStreet - January 24th, 2020
- Interim proprietary injunction granted over bitcoin cyber extortion payment - Data Protection Report - January 24th, 2020
- 5 Major Bitcoin Trends To Watch In 2020 - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Begun Its Journey to Fresh All-Time Highs; Factors to Consider - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Indicator that Crashed Price to $3.1K Returns: The Dreaded Death Cross - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Largest Bitcoin (BTC) Investment Vehicle Now Registered As an SEC Reporting Company: Grayscale - The Daily Hodl - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Reach $400,000 after Halving If History Is to Be Taken into... - Coinspeaker - January 23rd, 2020
- Regulation will see Bitcoin go mainstream in the UK Coinfloor CEO - Yahoo Finance - January 23rd, 2020
- Tesla Vs Bitcoin: Which One You Should Hold by 2025? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Instantaneous Bitcoin [BTC] Payment Will Soon be Enabled at Starbucks, Courtesy of Bakkt - Coingape - January 23rd, 2020
- How Much Influence Will China Have On The Future Of Bitcoin? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Alleged bitcoin thieves arrested by Tokyo police over 78 million haul - The Japan Times - January 23rd, 2020
- An Analysis of Price Discovery in Bitcoin Spot Markets - Traders Magazine - January 23rd, 2020
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020