The price of Bitcoin (BTC) dropped sharply on Nov. 26 following a mass sell-off from whales. Data from on-chain data firms, namely Santiment, Intotheblock, and CryptoQuant, show heightened levels of whale exchange inflows.
Whales selling right under Bitcoin's all-time high, particularly when the market sentiment was overly euphoric, led to a massive drop. Roughly $1.8 billion worth of futures contracts were wiped out, as Cointelegraph reported.
Some exchanges, like Binance as an example, recorded $400 million worth of liquidations within merely several hours.
According to Santiment, whales sold quickly after Bitcoin surpassed $19,300. Many of these high-net-worth individuals sold so aggressively that they are no longer in the whale category of holding over 1,000 BTC.
The overleveraged derivatives market started crashing as soon as the price of Bitcoin saw a relatively minor drop. Eventually, BTC dropped to as low as $16,200 on major exchanges. Analysts at Santiment said:
Researchers at Intotheblock spotted a similar trend. The drop in the price of Bitcoin matched the moment when whales transferred 93,000 BTC into exchanges. When the price of BTC was at the yearly peak, 93,000 BTC were worth $1.8 billion.
Subsequent to the rapid crash of the Bitcoin futures market, the outlook on Bitcoin from traders and analysts remains divided. Some believe that BTC is headedfor a deeper pullback, possibly to the $13,800 support level. Others, however, say that buyers now have the incentive to bring BTC above $18,000 to tap the liquidity above.
The bearish case for Bitcoin in the near term mainly revolves around two things. First, during previous bull markets, BTC historically dropped 30% or more before seeing a continuation of the rally. If BTC sees a similar trend, that would mean a drop to at least $14,500.
Second, short-term investor activity is increasing as the price of BTC consolidates. In the past, a spike in the number of young addresses marked a bearish trend.
Cryptocurrency trader and technical analyst, Edward Morra, emphasized that previous bull markets saw multiple corrections that were even more severe, such as by 30% to 40%. Furthermore, the trader also said that the Fibonacci sequence 0.618 level is $13,500.
Based on the combination of these two data points, Morra explains that a drop to $13,500 would be a fantastic opportunity. He said:
Josh Olszewicz, a chartist and a cryptocurrency investor, meanwhile says that local Bitcoin tops usually occur when unspent transaction outputs (UTXOs) aged one to three months reach 10%.
The investor notesthat it is currently at 8%, which has historically signaled a market top. He noted that similar to BDD, more young on-chain coin movements are generally bearish.
Nevertheless, the market sentiment around Bitcoin remains generally bullish. Many analysts that anticipate BTC to fall in the near term still expect the dominant cryptocurrency to hit an all-time high by the years end. Considering this, some traders are also optimistic about the short-term price trend of BTC.
A pseudonymous trader known as Byzantine General noted that the liquidity for Bitcoin is now in the $17,500 to $19,000 range. Liquidity emerges when traders in the futures market sway to one side of the market. Since the liquidity is higher up, it indicates that traders are likely shorting BTC and the liquidation prices of overleveraged shorts are located around $18,000.
Stop hunts and cascading liquidations can work both ways. If mass long contract liquidations caused BTC to drop on Nov. 26, short liquidations could trigger BTC to rally. Given that BTC/USD has dropped substantially in a short period, a relief rally is certainly possible. With liquidity near $18,000, the probability of this happening remains high.
Former Credit Suisse banker Mira Christanto added that the medium to the long-term outlook of BTC remains strong. She pinpointed the Bitcoin Difficulty Ribbon indicator, which suggests the price of BTC has been suppressed for a long time. The indicator signifies an acceleration of mining difficulty, which as seen in 2013 and 2016, marked the start of bull cycles.
Whale exchange deposits have continuously remained high throughout November, which was the main source of selling pressure. But, the one variable that could offset the sell-off from whales is stablecoin inflows. In the latest note to its clients, data analytics firm CryptoQuant said that the number of stablecoins deposited into exchanges rose sharply in recent months.
For the rally of Bitcoin to continue in the near term, two main factors are critical. BTC needs to stay above the $16,200 support region, which it has defended so far with a strong reaction from the market.
It also would need to see higher stablecoin inflow in the next several days, which would indicate that sidelined capital is returning to the market. The note read:
At least in the foreseeable future, it is critical for BTC to remain stable above $17,000 and consolidate. This would allow the derivatives market to see a potential resurgence in momentum and the open interest to build up. So far, there aren't too many signs that a massive correction must occur and that the road toward a new all-time high in the medium term has been hindered.
Moreover, the culmination of negative news, including Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrongs tweet thread about U.S. regulationand Chinese police seizing $4.2 billion in BTC and other cryptocurrencies from the PlusToken Ponzi scheme, hit the market in recent days to fuel bearish sentiment.
However, as the impact of this negative news wears off, the fear along with selling pressure on Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies could decrease in the upcoming weeks
- $150 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- What is bitcoin and why are so many people looking to buy it? - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin plunges more than 20% in three days. It's now in a bear market - CNN - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Bull Run: OGs on Why This Ones Different - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges More Than 25%, Which Is Bad News For These Stocks Today - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- From tech to bitcoin, long-time bull Ed Yardeni worries a meltdown will strike the market - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Tumbling Because Regulators Are Paying Attention - Barron's - January 12th, 2021
- Oil and bitcoin rise, but US small business optimism slides business live - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Insider Q&A: Bitcoin's massive rise and what comes next - ABC News - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Stellars Lumen Weekly Technical Analysis January 11th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Sleeping Bitcoins Worth $40 Million Move- Mystery Miner Spends Another 1,000 BTC From 2010 Block Rewards | News - Bitcoin News - January 12th, 2021
- Future FinTech's mBTC System and Technology Allows Consumers to Use Bitcoin as An Online Payment Method - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin's wild rally and a fear of missing out has retail investors flocking to crypto - CNBC - January 10th, 2021
- The case for and against investing in Bitcoin - Livemint - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $40,000 as investors seek hedge against inflation - The Guardian - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's parabolic price surge near $42,000 is the 'mother of all bubbles' - MarketWatch - January 10th, 2021
- This Bitcoin Ransomware Rakes in $150 Million in BTC | Security Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2021
- The price movement in Bitcoin is textbook: Fundstrat Global Advisors' Tom Lee - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin hits fresh record high near $42,000, climbing 40% so far this year - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- Bill Miller says bitcoin becomes less risky the higher the price goes - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- The 2021 Outlook for Bitcoin Prices, Adoption and Risks - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Why Is Bitcoin Going Up, and Will It Crash Soon? What's Next as Price Doubles to $40K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin rally may be the 'mother of all bubbles' says BofA - CNN - January 8th, 2021
- Treasury Signals Intention To Make Cryptocurrency Like Bitcoin Reportable On FBAR - Forbes - January 8th, 2021
- How bitcoin narratives have evolved to fuel current price surge - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin advocates revolt against the Trump administrations frantic crypto regulations - TechCrunch - January 8th, 2021
- Expected Rise in Ether-Bitcoin Volatility Points to Altcoin Season Ahead: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Finland Pushes to Sell Tainted Trove of Bitcoins Worth Tens of Millions - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin's record rise near $36,000 mints another $1 billion 'mining' company - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is surging to record highs on 'FOMO' and Joe Biden stimulus bets - ABC News - January 8th, 2021
- Is the financial establishment coming round to bitcoin? - The Economist - January 8th, 2021
- How to add Bitcoin to your Isa and profit tax-free - Telegraph.co.uk - January 8th, 2021
- Explained: How bitcoin investments can be taxed in India? - CNBCTV18 - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin Tops $35,000 for Fresh Record as Wild Swings Resume - Bloomberg - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Sets New All-Time High Above $35K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin is breaking records because bigger investors are buying it now, says PwC - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices could really go haywire if this happens in 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Why Ive Changed My Mind on Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges Into 2021, Rose Nearly 20% Over Weekend - The Wall Street Journal - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges to Record High on its 12th Anniversary - GlobeNewswire - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin will make you poor! Heres how Id invest in 2021 to create passive income for life - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $35,000 for fresh records as wild swings resume - Economic Times - January 6th, 2021
- Grayscale Sells XRP to Buy Bitcoin and Ethereum - Finance Magnates - January 6th, 2021
- Morning Bell With Jim Cramer: Time to Buy Bitcoin? - TheStreet - January 6th, 2021
- Daily Chart - The price of bitcoin has soared to record heights | Graphic detail - The Economist - January 6th, 2021
- Forget gold and Bitcoin. Id follow Warren Buffetts advice in 2021 - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin crosses $34,000 first time in 12 years, rises $5,000 in 3 days - Business Today - January 6th, 2021
- Binance US CEO Catherine Coley explains the surge in Bitcoin value - KTLA - January 6th, 2021
- Stocks and bitcoin are massive bubbles, long-time bear David Rosenberg warns - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Billions in lost Bitcoin: the buried treasure that people can never get back : Planet Money - NPR - January 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Bitcoin Price Predictions: Is The Massive Bitcoin Bull Run About To Peak? - Forbes - January 2nd, 2021
- Forget the Bitcoin price! Heres how Id invest in the best shares now to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2021
- With bitcoin ticking over $28,000, now might be a good time to give some of it to charity - CNBC - January 2nd, 2021
- Associate Professor of Finance on Bitcoin rally: Blockchain technology is real and effective - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2021
- Russell Okung to become first NFL player paid in Bitcoin - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Chart points to bitcoin peaking out in early 2021, trader says - CNBC - December 29th, 2020
- Petition Launched To Extend Comment Period On Cryptocurrency/Bitcoin Self-Custody Regulations - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Jumped. Its Near a Record High. - Barron's - December 29th, 2020
- Why MicroStrategy and Other Bitcoin Stocks Soared Today - The Motley Fool - December 29th, 2020
- Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K, $140K - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Centre may impose 18% GST on bitcoin trading - Business Today - December 29th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Called Bitcoin 'Rat Poison' Now It's Closing In On Berkshire Hathaway's Valuation - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- CleanSpark to Discuss Bitcoin Mining Acquisition and Related Growth Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Why bitcoin's blockbuster 2020 is different than the 2017 bubble - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Here's How Much Investing $1,000 In Bitcoin On Jan. 1, 2020 Would Be Worth Now - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices sky-rocketed 200% in 2020 but small investors should stay away: Here's why - Economic Times - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin is irrelevant and investors 'are going to weep' if regulators come down hard on crypto, says Kevin O'Leary - Business Insider - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 24th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2020
- Big investors new to cryptocurrencies appear to be behind bitcoin's rally to a record - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Real Estate Billionaire Sam Zell Skeptical of Bitcoin but Says 'It May Be the Answer or One of the Answers' | Featured - Bitcoin News - December 24th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin could see a 25%-30% sell-off in the new year, but it's still a long-term buy, trader says - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Treat Bitcoin like a punt, and not as an investment - Mint - December 24th, 2020
- Massive Bitcoin Gains Are Being Dwarfed By Ripples XRP, Litecoin, Ethereum And These Minor Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Why Stocks of Bitcoin Miners CleanSpark, Marathon, and Riot Blockchain Were Up Again Today - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Arent You Glad You Kept Your Bitcoin? Dont Sell It. - Forbes - December 14th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Falling, And What It Means - Forbes - December 14th, 2020