As whispers of Bitcoins (BTC) promised financial breakthrough failing to materialize over the last few months have continued to garner steam, the price of the premier crypto asset recently surged above the all-important $12,000 psychological threshold, only to once again slip right under.
However, as part of this development, the total cap of the crypto market reached an impressive $386.4 billion, a level only attained back in 2018. That being said, a multitude of factors, such as poor investor perception and lack of regulatory direction, seems to be preventing the market from flowering as previously envisioned by many experts.
In this regard, Sam Tabar, co-founder of decentralized P2P token trading network Airswap and ex-managing director for Bank of America in the APAC region, believes that while there is a long term structural upside for Bitcoin, there will be cyclical ups and downs like with any nascent asset class. However, the primary issue holding traditional capital market participants from entering this market is information asymmetry: Certain players aka whales control most of the market and have created massive market spikes or collapse. Market gyrations are ok, but massive information asymmetry is not.
Expounding his views on the matter, Ariel Zetlin-Jones, associate professor of economics at Carnegie Mellon Universitys Tepper School of Business, told Cointelegraph that a primary headwind against cryptocurrency demand continues to be the COVID-19 pandemic, especially as more people start to face the economic uncertainty. He further added that its only natural that during uncertain times, not many casual investors would be willing to invest their life savings in a highly volatile asset class such as Bitcoin.
Amid the pandemic, the United States dollar has thus far maintained its strength, in part, due to being the worlds reserve currency, and as long as countries continue to see the U.S. as a global powerhouse, its monetary value will continue to remain strong regardless of the recent stimulus packages.
However, in terms of the dollars recent performance, there have been some hiccups. For starters, the U.S. dollar index is currently at 93.2, down nearly 10% from its peak in March. Also, due to being a global reserve currency, the dollar tends to increase in value during downturns, complicating assessments of its performance at such times.
Furthermore, increasing social and political tensions along with incessant printing of dollars are creating conditions that can potentially form a bubble of hyperinflation in the foreseeable future. The situation has pushed some major investors like Warren Buffett, the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, to trim his companys position in banking and investing heavily in stable stores of value such as gold.
Buffetts decision to completely close Berkshires position on Goldman Sachs also comes at a time when the financial institution recorded its second-ever highest quarterly trading revenue of $13.3 billion, thereby suggesting that Buffett and his associates are not comfortable with the idea of betting big on the long-term prospects of the banking industry. Ryan Taylor, CEO of the Dash cryptocurrency, told Cointelegraph:
The U.S. is not the only country to undergo massive stimulus in 2020. Also, in times of crisis demand for USD tends to spike globally. These two considerations give the U.S. a lot of leeway to inflate supply without immediately devaluing the dollar. However, we are starting to witness signs that inflation is a risk. Certainly the massive stimulus started by inflating asset prices, including equity and debt. And just last week the U.S. CPI for July registered the highest monthly growth rate since 1991.
Even though many naysayers have repeatedly pointed out the fact that BTC has failed to surge exponentially and reach new all-time highs despite the economic conditions being ripe for it, the cryptocurrency market as a whole seems to be having a stellar year.
For example, Ether (ETH) has quadrupled in value, rising from $105 to $440 since hitting relative lows earlier this year in March. Similarly, currencies like Bitcoin, Ripple (XRP) and Dash are up by 72%, 50%, 124%, respectively, while many other smaller cryptocurrencies, especially in the decentralized finance sector, are seeing triple-digit growth as well.
Tabar believes that cryptos strong performance can be gauged in terms of the fact that some family offices have started to include BTC in their portfolio holdings. Not only that, certain neo-banks like Revolut and easy access investment apps such as Robinhood have also enabled easier access to crypto. This suggests that the next generation of young investors may eventually help spur the adoption of this asset class. In comparison to traditional commodities, Taylor has pointed out that crypto has outpaced most precious metals, like silver, which is up about 54% year-to-date:
Other precious metals are generally below 40% returns, especially if they have industrial uses. I suspect the attention of the general public continues to be fixated on the performance of stocks and bonds that makes up their retirement portfolios.
Also, Bitcoin has fared much better in comparison to oil than many fiat currencies, as oil prices have dropped due to negative growth in the economy influenced by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Statistically speaking, the year-to-date price of oil is down 32%. Furthermore, when compared with the S&P 500 (which is up +5.8%), Bitcoins year-to-date return currently sits at around 71.2%. Peter Goodrich, tax manager at U.S. accounting firm Prager Metis, told Cointelegraph:
When comparing the top market cap cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP to precious metals like gold and silver, there are increasingly positive correlations being witnessed between both markets that were accompanied by delayed market impulses.
Zetlin-Jones also pointed out that leading cryptocurrencies are appreciating relative to USD, gaining almost 0.3% per day on average over the past 90 days in comparison to May 2020, beating out the S&P 500 that has posted an average daily gain of 0.05%. However, Denis Vinokourov, head of research for digital asset exchange and brokerage firm Bequant, believes that since gold does not really compete directly with oil, Bitcoin too should not be related directly with traditional commodities: It has properties that others do not and that is its strength, putting Bitcoin against the rest of the market is like comparing apples to oranges.
While its still far too early to judge, Taylor believes that with each passing month, expectations of inflation will continue to increase, leading many investors to seek out inflation-resistant commodities like top-tier digital assets. I personally believe that were in the early stages of a bull run thats actually moving along quite steadily, he said. Also worth remembering is that the last major crypto bull run started in about mid-2015 and built up gradually to explode in the second half of 2017, suggesting that an overnight surge is unrealistic.
Lastly, despite increasing adoption, there are still a lot of challenges for the masses when it comes to owning cryptocurrencies. For example, opening a digital wallet or even a crypto trading account is still not as easy as many would like to think. Commenting on the subject, Mike Onghai, serial entrepreneur and seed investor for Coinbase and TZero, told Cointelegraph:
If you look at history, it took about 20 years for cell phone web browsing to become as easy as it is now today. It took web browsing several years to go from Netscape to where it is now. Ease of owning cryptocurrencies will take some time. [...] The digital assets age still feels early it feels like 1995 in the web browser era (after Netscapes crash).
A somewhat similar opinion is shared by Vinokourov who believes that most people tend to forget the relatively young age of Bitcoin as well the rest of the market. Not only that, while Bitcoin and other digital assets have shown their worth during times of geopolitical and economic uncertainties, these assets are still considered to be much riskier by most:
There has only really been one cycle of initial coin offerings that did attract substantial interest from traditional firms. The core market may not be as hot at the moment, but another area of the market that has attracted VC money recently is decentralised finance (DeFi). Its always helpful to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.
Read the original here:
Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Stacking Satoshis: Leveraging Defi Applications to Earn More Bitcoin | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- FCA bans the public from Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency derivatives - Evening Standard - October 6th, 2020
- Pro-Crypto PAC Giving $50 in Bitcoin to the Campaign of Each Member of Congress - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 6th, 2020
- Ethereum Transaction Fees Fall 82%, as Defi Hype Eases | Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress sends $50 in Bitcoin to all US Congress members - Crypto News Flash - October 6th, 2020
- Abkhazia Lifts Two-Year Ban on Bitcoin Mining, Moves to Regulate the Sector | Regulation - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Why reduced Bitcoin futures volume may signal the start of a new bull trend - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Rebounds to $10.5K; Stablecoin Market Cap Goes Parabolic - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Spike in new participants buying Bitcoin is obviously bullish Analyst - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Romania set to auction Bitcoin and Ether confiscated in criminal case - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Balances on Exchanges at 2-Year Low and That May Be a Bullish Sign - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela To Start Using Cryptocurrency in Global Trade in Efforts To Fend off US Sanctions | Emerging Markets - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Posts a 66-Day Consecutive Streak Above the $10K Price Range | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Aurus Disrupts the Gold Industry Today Its Ecosystem Lists at a Value of $75m | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Peer-to-Peer vision for Bitcoin - Korea IT Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Bets on the US Election Show Joe Biden Winning the Presidency by 60% - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- At $10,600, Bitcoin price is on track for its second-best quarter ever - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- Devere Group CEO Predicts Bitcoin Can Replace Gold as Top Safe-Haven Within a Generation | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- Trump, tax and hacks: 5 things shaping Bitcoin price action this week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- One of Hal Finney's lost contributions to Bitcoin Core to be 'resurrected' - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- French police arrest terror financing ring that used Bitcoin coupons - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- What The IRS's Interest In Your Bitcoins Says About The Future Of Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - September 30th, 2020
- New DeFi Project NEW KANGEN (NEWG) Presale Will Start on 2nd October 2020 | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Token Projects to Recover $130M from the Kucoin Hack, Devs Condemned for Centralization - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- A Record $1.2 Billion in Bitcoin Has Now Moved to Ethereum - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- USDT Trading Arrives on Bitcoin Global - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Family: Still on the RoadAfter Three Years! - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- What REALLY Moves Bitcoin? - Elliott Wave International - September 30th, 2020
- Listen to Calvin Ayre talk about how he found opportunity in Bitcoin - CalvinAyre.com - September 30th, 2020
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020