Back in March of 2020, those taking position ahead of the Bitcoin halving were blindsided by the Black Thursday market selloff, driven by panic at the onset of the COVID pandemic and subsequent lockdowns.
With the new Omicron strain making headlines, and lockdowns once again considered, could the cryptocurrency market be facing another dangerous macro storm and catastrophic collapse?
According to Wikipedia, a black swan is an event that comes as a surprise, has a major effect, and is often inappropriately rationalized after the fact with the benefit of hindsight.
Black Thursday in March 2020 classifies perfectly as such. COVID came, the market panicked, and Bitcoin collapsed back to $3,800 at the low. It turned out to be a huge overreaction.
Related Reading | Want To Learn Technical Analysis? Read The NewsBTC Trading Course
Despite the surprise factor of the event and the fact no one saw COVID coming, technical analysis proves that these black swan events can be predicted to a point. But what if two black swan events were to happen from touching the same trend line. Would these really be considered black swan events?
Thats exactly whats at risk, given the recent Omicron strain news and related panic, and the fact that Bitcoin price is indeed up against the very trend line that was used to predict Black Thursdays eventual target to the dollar.
The chart above shows that Bitcoin price was rejected from the same trend line that prompted the COVID correction. The move was so sharp and intense, a polar opposite rally resulted that took the cryptocurrency to more than $65,000 per coin.
Bitcoin selling off just as severely wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing, as the bounce from such an event has shown. But despite the dangerous macro landscape and the stock market sinking, the conditions for the top cryptocurrency are very different this time around.
For one, the arrows depict two rejections from former resistance in 2019, with the second (marked in red) failing to break out of the Ichimoku cloud. That resistance level dated all the way back to the very beginning of the bear market, which is why the Black Thursday rejection was particularly strong. Meanwhile, the current price action more so appears to demonstrate a resistance level being flipped as support.
The blue path outlines an expected Elliott Wave motive wave, with three impulses up and two corrective waves. Per Elliott Wave Theory, wave 1 shows there still life left in an asset, but market participants are reluctant to believe the bull market has begun.
Related Reading | Finding Fibonacci: Is Bitcoin Beginning A Golden Recovery?
Because of the remaining bearish sentiment, wave 2 wipes out most of the progress of wave 1, before wave 3 begins. With lows of wave 1 retested at the climax of wave 2, market participants are more confident in a blossoming bull trend, which is why wave 3 tends to be the longest and strongest. EWT refers to this as a wave extension.
Wave 4 cannot enter into the path of wave 1 and tend to move sideways. This suggests that it is unlikely to see another sharp correction like what happened on Black Thursday in 2020. Whenever wave 4 officially ends, and whether it has or not is still up for debate, targets of $100,000 per coin remain likely for the peak of wave 5.
Follow @TonySpilotroBTC on Twitter or jointhe TonyTradesBTC Telegram for exclusive daily market insights and technical analysis education. Please note: Content iseducational and should not beconsidered investment advice.
- How to Cash Out Bitcoin: Complete Guide - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) live coin price, charts, markets & liquidity - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (Cryptocurrency) TradingView - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Up Official Website - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Era | The Official Bitcoin Era App - January 14th, 2022
- Arkansas is offering remote tech workers $10,000 in bitcoin to move to there - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Kazakhstan bitcoin miner: US will make up 60% of the worlds computing power in 2 years - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Introduces A Game-Changing Crypto Bill As The Price Of Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, Solana, Cardano, XRP Sinks - Forbes - January 14th, 2022
- The US Government and Bitcoin Auctions: Here's What Investors Need to Know - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Is A Better Store Of Value Than Real Estate - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin could rise to $75,000 this year to top record high, bank CEO predicts - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Miners Bit Digital, Canaan, and SOS Are Flying High This Week - The Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Announces Hearing On Bitcoins Energy Use - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- US Billionaire Bill Miller Bets 50% of His Wealth in Bitcoin - TheStreet - January 14th, 2022
- Job Postings With Terms Like 'Bitcoin' and 'Cryptocurrency' Grew Almost 400% on LinkedIn Last Year - Money - January 14th, 2022
- University accepts Bitcoin donations to fund crypto-related activities - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- The rich get richer: Rethinking Bitcoins power as an inflation hedge - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2022
- Dont mention K country: Bitcoin Magazine's YouTube restored after ban - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin cycle is far from over and miners are in it for the long haul: Fidelity report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- 2 Cryptocurrencies That Have Trounced Bitcoin and Shiba Inu During the Crypto Crash - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Discussing The Importance Of Bitcoin's Open-Source Ethos - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Visa: One in Four Businesses Surveyed Plan to Accept Cryptocurrency Payments This Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 14th, 2022
- Mai Capital Predicts Tough Year for Crypto Expects Bitcoin and Ethereum to Do Well Once Regulations Come Into Focus Regulation Bitcoin News -... - January 14th, 2022
- What is Bitcoin? | How Do Bitcoin and Crypto Work? | Get ... - December 22nd, 2021
- The U.S. government has a massive, secret stockpile of bitcoin Here's what happens to it - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin has its own 1% who control outsized share of wealth - CBS News - December 22nd, 2021
- Missed out on hot crypto stocks in 2021? It paid just to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum, data shows - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- TA: Bitcoin Gains Momentum, Why Rally Isn't Over Yet - NewsBTC - December 22nd, 2021
- How Bitcoins Sound Incentives Drive A Sound World - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Daily Crunch: Bitcoin is religion; web3 is greed - TechCrunch - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Giveaway: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow Gives Away $500K in BTC for the Holidays Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoins Proof Of Work Is Well Worth Its Fees - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Will Revealing Satoshi Nakamoto's Identity Help Bitcoin in 2022? - Analytics Insight - December 22nd, 2021
- Donald Trump Says Crypto Is 'Very Dangerous' Warns of 'Explosion Like We've Never Seen' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Happy bearday, Bitcoin: Its been 3 years since BTC bottomed at $3.1K - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Price Chart Risks Lapsing Into Bearish Pattern - Bloomberg - December 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin could hit $100K, gold $2K in 2022 thanks to 'deflationary forces' Bloomberg analyst - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Jack Dorseys ditched Twitter for bitcoin. Has the social media bubble burst? - The Guardian - December 9th, 2021
- Can Bitcoin's hard cap of 21 million be changed? - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Countries Are Leaving The USD Standard, They Need A Bitcoin Strategy - Bitcoin Magazine - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum Might Dethrone Bitcoin as Best Crypto Store of Value, Study Argues Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum it outperforming bitcoin because its a tech bet: Novogratz - Markets Insider - December 9th, 2021
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021