The price of Bitcoin (BTC) found strong support at $8,200 last week, after which it started to rally toward $8,800 earlier today.
Alongside with that, the total market capitalization of crypto found a support at $215 billion and starting to look bullish. Will this mean that the correction is over, and crypto is trending upwards?
Crypto market daily performance. Source: Coin360
Bitcoin is still trending upwards since the low at $6,500, as previous resistance zones have become support. A recent example is showing a bounce on the green area, which is the $8,200 level. This type of bullish support/resistance flips is a common occurrence in an uptrend market.
BTC USDT 1-day chart. Source: TradingView
A break below $8,200 would have demonstrated weakness, as that level would not have provided enough buying pressure and support. Losing such a level would usually have been followed by a continuation downwards. An example is found after the push to $10,000 in November 2019.
The chart is also showing a clear breakout from the 7-month downtrend. A retest was done at $7,600, after which the price of Bitcoin rallied towards $9,200 for temporary resistance.
BTC USDT 4-hour chart. Source: TradingView
The 4-hour chart of Bitcoin is showing a healthy support/resistance flip at $8,200, after which price broke through the $8,500 resistance. Currently, the price of Bitcoin is facing the next resistance at $8,800.
However, its quite unlikely to see an immediate breakthrough at this level as the indicators on smaller time frames show exhaustion of this upwards move.
Additionally, some significant resistances are shown on the chart, i.e. $9,000 and $9,200-9,400, which are two hurdles to overcome if the price of Bitcoin wants to continue moving upwards.
On the support side, a retest of $8,500 looks quite healthy for confirmation of new support. Range-bound movements are now likely to happen if price cant break through $8,800 or drop below $8,500.
Total market capitalization cryptocurrency chart. Source: TradingView
The total market capitalization of cryptocurrencies is showing an essential bounce from the blue zone (level around $217-218 billion). A retest there was quite healthy as anticipated in a recent article.
This retest is now completed and shows intense buying pressure as the total market capitalization has already rallied up to $238 billion. This retest also indicates confirmation of the uptrend with the total market cap breaking the 7-month downtrend as well.
The first hurdle to overcome now is the $247 billion level. If that is broken, continuation towards $270 and $300 billion is likely to occur.
The total market capitalization chart of altcoins is looking healthy The market cap rallied from $52 billion to $80 billion. Only a slight retracement occurred to $71 billion, which means that it is stuck in a narrow range.
Total altcoin market capitalization chart. Source: TradingView
If we check the rest of the chart, we can spot many tests of the $80 billion level in recent months. Around three tests have happened prior to this latest one, which means that the resistance should become weaker.
Remember, the more times a resistance gets tested, the more exhausted sellers will get, and the weaker a resistance becomes. On the other hand, this also happens with support zones. The $6,000 support of Bitcoin in 2018 was tested many times before it broke down.
Given that these tests of the $80 billion level occurred quite frequently, a breakout to the upside is the most likely scenario at this point, meaning that the altcoin market cap could rally towards $120 billion.
BTC USDT 4-hour chart bullish scenario. Source: TradingView
The most bullish scenario would be a clear breakout of $8,800 and a continuation from there. However, as stated earlier, I find it unlikely to see such a move occur in one go.
A retest and consolidation would be more likely including a likely retest of the $8,500. This is healthy and would be almost required before the price of Bitcoin can continue to face higher resistance levels.
If Bitcoin can hold the $8,500 area for support, I see a breakthrough of the $8,800 and $9,000 as likely, after which $10,000 will become the primary target. Moreover, clearing $10,000 could bring the price of Bitcoin towards $11,000 as well.
BTC USDT 4-hour chart bearish scenario. Source: TradingView
Typically, the bearish scenario has a similar pattern in the beginning, as BTC needs to be rejected at the $8,800 level. However, the difference is in the subsequent pattern.
If the price of Bitcoin is to make lower highs with weak bounces, the downward trend is likely to resume. If this occurs, Id be aiming for bearish retest (support/resistances flips) of the $8,500 level as a potential short opportunity. The main target would then be the $7,600 area.
But first, the price needs to be rejected at $8,800-9,000 to get these scenarios going. Overall, the $8,100 support/resistance flip doesnt say that were bearish at this point. Especially, since that price has broken at a 7-month downtrend.
The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cointelegraph. Every investment and trading move involves risk. You should conduct your own research when making a decision.
See the original post here:
Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020
- Here's Why Grayscale Bitcoin Trust Is Rising Today - Motley Fool - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Bulls Say It's Time for 'Plan B' as Fed Ramps Up Repo Operations - U.Today - March 20th, 2020
- All You Need to Know About Bitcoin Wallets in... - Coinspeaker - March 20th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoins 15% Rally Could Fail Near The Key $6,500 Barrier - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Gains Expected as Unemployment Claims Soar in the US - Coingape - March 20th, 2020
- Heres What Caused Bitcoins Extreme Price Plunge - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees 9% Gain as Turmoil Hits the Forex Markets - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses half of its value in two-day plunge - CNBC - March 19th, 2020
- Here is the real reason behind Bitcoin price drop - Cryptopolitan - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Not Governments Will Save the World After Crisis, Tim Draper Says - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lost Roughly 50% Of Its Value In A Day - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Briefly Dips to 12-Month Low in Overnight Trading - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Despite Bitcoin Price Dips, Crypto Is a Safe Haven in the Middle East - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- What Bitcoin Price Would Be If Every American Invested $1K - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Tether is Now Printing Millions, and Thats Huge for Bitcoin - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Cyperpunk Myths and Bitcoin in Real Life with Udi Wetheimer - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lacks Momentum And A Break Below $5K Could Be Trend Defining - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Experts Say the Fed's QE Program Will Strengthen Bitcoin One Way or Another - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Narrative Has Flown Out the Window - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Safe Haven Narrative in Question After Biggest Drop in 7 Years - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- 2 Months Ago, Andreas Antonopoulos Explained Why Bitcoin Would Crash - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Is This The Day Bitcoin Had Been Waiting For 11 Years? - CryptoPotato - March 19th, 2020
- Investors Can Hedge Long-Term Risk With New 2-Year Bitcoin Derivatives - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Lost Your Bitcoin? Here Is How You Can Recover It - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin & Gold Are Doing the Same Thing in Coronavirus Crisis: Pomp - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin is dead, long live Bitcoin - Decrypt - March 19th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Represent First Wave in Deconstruction of Finance - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Correct Gains - Cryptonews - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Live: How to Watch the Next Price Run or Crash in Real-Time - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Indian Government Reveals Inspection of Bitcoin Businesses, Informs Parliament of Results - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Is Now Up Just 9% This Year - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Steadies as Bank of England Suddenly Cuts Rates to 11-Year Low - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Really A Safe-Haven Asset? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- What the Oil Market Says About Bitcoin's 'Safe Haven' Status - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Outbreak Takes Toll on Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Retail Demand May Force the SEC to Approve a Bitcoin ETF - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- The Simpsons Correctly Called President TrumpDid It Just Predict When Bitcoin Will Go Mainstream? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Still Failing As A Flight To Safety Investment - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Lightning-Fast New Bitcoin.com Wallet Proves Popular With Over 10 Million Wallets Created - Bitcoin News - March 11th, 2020
- Proving That Tether Manipulated Bitcoin 2017 Bull Run Wont Be Easy - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Elliott Wave Theory suggests price could fall further - FXStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Tezos Price Makes Gigantic Steps Eyeing $3.0 As Bitcoin Price Deals With Rejection At $8,000 - Coingape - March 11th, 2020
- Interlay Receives Web3 Foundation Grant for Bridging Bitcoin to Polkadot - Cointelegraph - March 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin's $9,000 Price Stays Steady as Sentiment Stays Positive - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 7th, 2020