The new top banking regulator for the Trump administration sees huge and great promise in cryptocurrency. Focusing on decentralized networks, bitcoin, and rewriting existing regulations, he shares his views on cryptocurrency and the creation of the digital dollar.
Brian Brooks recently became the new acting Comptroller of the Currency, the top banking regulator for the Trump administration. The 51-year-old has experience in crypto, having previously served as general counsel to bitcoin exchange Coinbase. Discussing his views on cryptocurrency, regulation, and technology, Brooks told Forbes:
There is huge and great promise in blockchain and crypto.
He elaborated: Blockchain has potential to connect up, in a decentralized network, all kinds of data It has the ability to create large, friction-free, decentralized networks of people. Brooks believes that blockchain is the solution to our problems, Forbes conveyed. Im very bullish on technology Things like AI, things like blockchain have a better ability to leverage the wisdom of crowds, he was quoted as saying.
As acting Comptroller of the Currency, Brooks is the administrator of the federal banking system and chief officer of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). The OCC supervises nearly 1,200 national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches and agencies of foreign banks that conduct approximately 70% of all banking business in the U.S. The Comptroller also serves as a director of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
A lawyer by trade, Brooks joined the OCC in March as chief operating officer, appointed by Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin. The former banker was previously executive vice president and general counsel at Fannie Mae. He, Mnuchin, and former Comptroller Joseph Otting worked together at Onewest Bank in Pasadena, California, which was heavily criticized for its foreclosure practices in the years after the financial crisis.
Discussing his views on cryptocurrencies, Brooks told the publication that he is looking for decentralized networks in general he cited bitcoin, ether and XRP in particular to solve many of the problems hindering more than one-thousand financial institutions under his purview, Forbes contributor Cory Johnson detailed.
The new acting comptroller also revealed that he is focusing on rewriting existing regulation on bank digital activities. Citing banks antiquated money transfer methods, he said that it takes three days to transfer money from the U.S. to Europe on the SWIFT network. Not only is peoples money at risk during that time, but they also incur foreign exchange fees, he noted, adding that these problems can be eliminated using digital assets.
Moreover, Brooks sees a threat in other countries modernizing their payment systems, leaving the U.S. lagging behind. Criticizing the Feds version of faster payments, he revealed: There are certain O.C.C. regulations that require that certain things be transmitted by fax and require banks maintain a fax number. Those were written at a time when faxes were a cool technology. Now theyre mandates.
Regarding the digital dollar, Brooks is skeptical about the federal government issuing one. He opined:
Im not in favor of a government-created token I just dont think thats the role of government, quite honestly. But I think that the Fed and the SEC need to be putting up frameworks of what that digital currency needs to be.
Meanwhile, the most crypto-friendly commissioner with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is set to serve another term. Commissioner Hester Peirce, often known in the crypto community as crypto-mom, has been nominated for another term as an SEC commissioner. Her existing term expires this month but commissioners may serve up to 18 months beyond the expiration of their terms. Peirces nomination needs to be confirmed by the Senate.
A strong advocate of the SEC approving bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETF), she introduced the Token Safe Harbor Proposal in February to fill the gap between regulation and decentralization, proposing a grace period of three years for tokens. The commissioner recently said that there is an increasing demand for cryptocurrency, particularly from institutional investors.
What do you think about the U.S. having a crypto-friendly top banking regulator? Let us know in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, OCC
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- 'Massive moment' as first ever DLC smart contract deployed on the Bitcoin mainnet - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Argentina Government Refuses to Pay $4M Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers Who Paralyzed Its Borders | News - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- Square Aims to Stop Patent Trolls From Killing Bitcoin Adoption - Decrypt - September 10th, 2020
- How bitcoin met the real world in Africa - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Schiff buys more Bitcoin But theres a twist - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- If A Second Stimulus Check Is Coming, Using It To Buy Bitcoin Could Be A Disaster - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Braced For A Massive Week - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Taking Its Place on the Global Monetary Stage - ETF Trends - September 8th, 2020
- A new phase in Bitcoins evolution - City Index - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin - The Future of Digital Currencies - Nairametrics - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Trons TRX Weekly Technical Analysis September 7th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 4th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists Announced to Compete for USD $100,000 - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 2nd, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Coinsilium backs RSK as Bitcoin and DeFi rocket (COIN) - Value The Markets - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- What Top US Politicians and POTUS Election Candidates Think of Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Macro Trend Unaffected by Chinese Investors $50B Tether Exodus - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- YFI Price Exceeds Bitcoin Price at $15K But Theres a Catch - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins Bull Run Is Slowing Pullback Now Expected - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Lost Its Way: Heres How to Return to Cryptos Subversive Roots - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- John McAfee Ditches Ghost Crypto Project: He Says It Will Fail | News - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Dust Attacks Make a Mess in Bitcoin Wallets, but There Could Be a Fix - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- 12 Crypto Firms Authorized to Operate License-Free in Hawaii for Two Years | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- China's Bitcoin Mining Industry Impacted the Most This Year, Says Report - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Tesla: America's Most Loved Assets on Tradingview | News - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) has a 30% Chance of Hitting $17k by EOY - Crypto Analyst - Ethereum World News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Keeps Rejecting $12K Heres What Can Happen to BTC - Cointelegraph - August 16th, 2020
- U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to Be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups - The New York Times - August 16th, 2020
- With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last YearAnd Its Still Soaring - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- What Venezuelans Think About Bitcoin and American Media - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- Surging Chainlink Pushes Bitcoin Cash Out Of The Crypto Top Five As Wild Value Tops $6 Billion - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- Coinbase to Offer Bitcoin-Backed Loans to US Customers - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- PSF Token Invokes the First Coin-Age Staking Protocol on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Wallet Reveals USDT Support - Users Can Swap and Store SLP-Based Tether | Promoted - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020