2020 is fast approaching and the last decade will be behind us. Throughout the last ten years, the biggest unicorn firms were born like Uber and Airbnb. However, even though Bitcoin isnt a company, the best investment of the decade belongs to the decentralized cryptocurrency Satoshi created. In fact, Bank of Americas recent securities report highlights that an investment of $1 in bitcoin at the start of 2010 would now be worth more than $90,000.
Also read: Regulatory Roundup New US Crypto Bill, Frances 1st Approved ICO, Muslim Crypto
This week, a great number of people are reminiscing about the last ten years and a slew of individuals understand that the advent of Bitcoin was quite significant during this period of time. The most valuable startup of the last decade didnt raise money, didnt have employees, gave away the cap table, and let anyone invest, said the popular philosopher Naval Ravikant. Besides Ravikants opinion, theres data that shows bitcoin was the best investment during the last decade.
Bank of Americas recent securities paper explains that between 2010 and 2020, oil has weakened and negative interest rates have been good for gold markets. But if a person invested $1 in bitcoin in 2010, it would be worth well over $90k today, BoAs report underlined. Because of bitcoins great performance record, the decentralized asset has surpassed every investment vehicle in the last ten years.
Now lets just say someone followed gold bug Peter Schiffs advice and invested in gold in 2010, which was trading for $1,113 per Troy ounce at the years open. Ten years later, gold has done well for itself touching a high of $1,542 per ounce and thats a fairly decent +38% gain. In the last decade bitcoin, however, has gained a whopping +8,999,900% and this year alone, BTC has outpaced golds market performance in the last ten years. In 2019, BTC has gained +96% compared to golds +10.8% increase.
Besides precious metals, if Bitcoin was a company it also outpaced investments in the most profitable unicorn businesses created in the last decade. Profitable startups throughout 2010 and 2020 include Uber, Facebook, Airbnb, Snapchat, Spacex, Tesla, and Pinterest but an investment in bitcoin surpasses all these public stocks by a long shot. For example, if you compare the +8.9 million percent BTC gain to investments in Netflix (+4,177%), Amazon (+1,787%), Apple (+966%), Microsoft (+556%), Disney (+423%) and Google (+335%), numbers show there is no comparison. The angel investor and former CTO of Coinbase, Balaji Srinivasan, recently explained his thoughts about the cryptocurrency revolution during the last decade compared to the decades unicorn firms.
As the decade ends, the biggest unicorn of the 2010s wasnt Uber, Airbnb, or Snap It was Bitcoin, Srinivasan tweeted. Please note that all three of these [companies] and many other unicorns are great companies I take nothing away from them. But to my knowledge, nothing else founded in the same timeframe held at $100 billion for a longer time. Srinivasan added:
From an investor standpoint, this is important to know.
A number of crypto proponents agree with Srinivasan and Ravikants statements about cryptocurrencies throughout the last ten years and the subject is often discussed on forums and social media. Replying to Srinivasans tweet, former Bitcoin Foundation director Bruce Fenton said:
[Bitcoin did all of this] without a centralized marketing fund, no salespeople, no roadshow people pitching sovereign wealth funds or family offices and no fundraise or premine.
Even though the digital asset was the best investment of the decade, it also provided significant innovation, financial disruption, and changed the way people perceive money. People can bypass corporations, financial institutions, and governments in a censorship-resistant fashion like never before. Its safe to say that cryptocurrency innovation will make the next ten years quite revolutionary.
What do you think about how bitcoin is the best investment in the last decade? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation, endorsement, or sponsorship of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Image credits: Shutterstock, Twitter, Moneymorning.com, Pixabay, Fair Use, and Wiki Commons.
Did you know you can buy and sell BCH privately using our noncustodial, peer-to-peer Local Bitcoin Cash trading platform? The local.Bitcoin.com marketplace has thousands of participants from all around the world trading BCH right now. And if you need a bitcoin wallet to securely store your coins, you can download one from us here.
Jamie Redman is a financial tech journalist living in Florida. Redman has been an active member of the cryptocurrency community since 2011. He has a passion for Bitcoin, open source code, and decentralized applications. Redman has written thousands of articles for news.Bitcoin.com about the disruptive protocols emerging today.
- Spiritual Reflections on the Bitcoin Halving - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Economy Fuels Faith in Crypto: Trust In Bitcoin Over Banks Increased 3X Since 2017 - Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- 8 Reasons Why This Could Be the Time to Take Bitcoin Seriously - Entrepreneur - May 23rd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Traders 'Buy the Dip' as Bitcoin Hovers at $9,000 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Be More Resilient to Global Electric Failure Than Banks - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- How This Billionaire-Backed Crypto Startup Gets Paid To Not Mine Bitcoin - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Halving Dust Settles, Network Awakens to Costly New Reality - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- 'No need' to invest in bitcoin or gold during the pandemic, says wealth manager - CNBC - May 23rd, 2020
- Goldman Sachs Is Hosting A Client Call About Bitcoin, Gold and Inflation - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- This Bitcoin Documentary From Africa Is Streaming on Amazon Prime - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Monster 369MB Block Processed on Bitcoin SV - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- Team Behind Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC Explains Shutdown - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Block Generation Speed Falls to 2017 Lows - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- You can now bet on Bitcoin or Ethereum with this new priceless token - Decrypt - May 23rd, 2020
- Exposure to -1x the Daily Performance: Bitcoin.com Exchange Adds Inverse Token BTCSHORT | Promoted - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- This Metric Shows Bitcoin Is Undervalued Even After 150% Price Rally - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- The Fed Is Bitcoins Best Friend - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Here's when Bitcoin will actually reach 99.99% uptime - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- Bug Forces Shutdown of Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- Citi's Tony McLaughlin on CBDCs, Libra and bitcoin - Finextra - May 19th, 2020
- From Buenos Aires to Beirut - Covid-19 Excuse Restricts Millions of Citizens from Withdrawing Their Own Money | Economics - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com's Mining Video Censored: The Tale of Youtube's Blatant Censorship and Propaganda - Bitcoin News - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Product Demos During the Halving - Bitcoin Magazine - May 19th, 2020
- J.K. Rowling Made the Grave Mistake of Asking the Internet to Explain Bitcoin - InsideHook - May 19th, 2020
- ISIS's $300 million war chest is hidden in Bitcoin, says think tank - Decrypt - May 19th, 2020
- S2F Hopium: Report and Twitter Critics Find Flaws With Bitcoin's Stock-to-Flow Ratio - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- 45 Older-Generation Bitcoin Miners Are Unprofitable After the Reward Halving - Bitcoin News - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin to Paint 2 Bullish Golden Crosses This Week, as it Eyes $10.5K Close - Bitcoinist - May 18th, 2020
- Fund manager: Past 6 weeks have been one of Bitcoins most bullish periods ever - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- P2P Bitcoin Trade Volumes and Inflation in Latin America Are on the Rise - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips as Stock Markets Close Lower on the Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bears Say These 5 Metrics Will Stop BTC From Reclaiming $10K - Cointelegraph - May 16th, 2020
- First Mover: Bitcoins Hot Again and Crypto Miners Are Hoarding Or Are They? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 16th, 2020
- Australian Woman Charged With Unlawfully Exchanging Over $3M in Crypto - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 16th, 2020
- Heres how Bitcoin sentiment changed over the halving - Decrypt - May 16th, 2020
- CEO at Real Vision Raoul Pal Bets on Bitcoin Up 100x in Next Five Years - Cointelegraph - May 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Suddenly Back On The Move - Forbes - May 14th, 2020
- Understanding the Growing Trend of Bitcoin Currency Exchange - The Duke Perspective - Duke Today - May 14th, 2020
- Man behind $2 million in Bitcoin hacks arrested in Ireland - Micky News - May 14th, 2020
- Craig Wright Threatened to Crash The Bitcoin Price So What Happened? - Cointelegraph - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has HalvedWhat Now? - Forbes - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin poised to shine as governments print more money: report - Decrypt - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Crashes as Halving Hype Loses Impetus Over the Weekend - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining is a Silly and Confusing Term - Anchorage Press - May 12th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50: Bitmain, the Behemoth of Bitcoin Mining - CoinDesk - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Staging a Comeback Reminiscent of 2017 Bubble Frenzy - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2020
- Craig Wright: Bitcoin truth versus the 'turd that is fake news' - CoinGeek - May 12th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Traders Say Binance Cut Their Bitcoin Shorts: Here's Why It Happened - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: Will 'halving' fuel another monster rally? - The Australian Financial Review - May 11th, 2020
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Coronavirus sows doubt over bitcoin's rally after third 'halving' - Reuters - May 11th, 2020
- Zcash Alliance Aims to Bring Privacy Tech to Bitcoin, Cosmos and Ethereum - CoinDesk - May 11th, 2020
- There's more Bitcoin on Ethereum than in the Lightning Network - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Erik Voorhees: Bitcoin will replace the Feds 'pre-mined' dollar - Decrypt - May 11th, 2020
- Review Cryptopia: Bitcoin, Blockchains and the Future of the Internet - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin could hit above $100000 by August 2021 - Nairametrics - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price action causes an increase in spread on low-tier exchanges - AMBCrypto - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin 101: What is Bitcoin? - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- One of Bitcoin's Earliest Miners Is Dedicating $66M in Crypto to a Fund of Funds - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Dollar Vigilante Founder Talks Covid-19 and Economic Crisis: 'The Modern Financial System Is at the End of It's Rope' | Interview - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Here Are the Options: Bitcoin Derivatives Give BTC Halving Insight - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin ATM Locations Surge to Over 7700 Worldwide Amid Global Crisis - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Decentralized Finance Startup Focused on Bitcoin Cash Raises $1 Million for Expansion - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Revenue in Square's Cash App Tops Fiat Revenue for First Time in Q1 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoins Gut Check: The Time of Crisis as the Moment of Truth - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Emerging Markets: The Middle East - Consensus - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- Coinshares Acquires Gabi Trading: New Unit Traded $3 Billion Worth of Crypto in 2019 | News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2020
- Analyst Tone Vays Predicts 12-Month Bitcoin (BTC) Trajectory, Says Three Factors Will Drive People Into Crypto - The Daily Hodl - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits April High; Crypto Portfolios Get Stimulus Injection - Forbes - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC/USD paces above $7,800, the focus shifts to $9,000 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH is ten times more profitable than Bitcoin in 2020 - FXStreet - April 27th, 2020
- The Coronavirus May Have Actually Helped Bitcoin - Live Bitcoin News - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Take the Money and Run - Bitcoin Transfers (even within the same state) Provide Basis for Federal Jurisdiction in Money Laundering Conviction - JD... - April 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin returns to form with solid price growth amid the coronavirus pandemic - SiliconANGLE - April 27th, 2020
- HandCash make Bitcoin more accessible 'for the rest of us' - CoinGeek - April 27th, 2020