Illustration by Elias Stein
Two years ago last week, Bitcoin peaked at $19,783, after starting 2017 at about $1,000. Since then, prices have fluctuated wildly, falling 73% in 2018 and rising 85% this yearbut they have not come close to retesting previous highs. Recently, Bitcoin was trading near $7,000.
An investor who bought early in 2017 would still be up more than 500%. But thats not the whole story. Dan Wiener, chairman of Adviser Investments and founder of the Independent Adviser for Vanguard Investors, analyzed Bitcoin price movements since the start of 2017 and found that the average five-day rolling return was 1.5%. But the range of five-day gains and losses was enormous, with a high of 47% and a low of minus 29%. And investors lost money 45% of the time when they held Bitcoin for 10 days, he calculated.
Beyond the price action, the biggest change since 2017 is Bitcoins rising competition. Two years ago, the market was awash in initial coin offerings for currencies expected to challenge Bitcoins dominance. But Bitcoin still accounts for 67% of the market value of cryptocurrencies, according to Coinmarketcap.com. Bitcoins real competition now comes from companies looking to use blockchain technology to create currencies, and governments that want to produce digital coins backed by their treasuries. Will the dominant coin be decentralized like Bitcoin, corporate-backed, or government-controlled?
Facebooks Libra project has run into regulatory issues, but could launch as soon as next year. China has been working on digital currencies since 2014 and has reportedly accelerated efforts this year.
The Census Bureau reports new-home sales data for November. Consensus estimates are for a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 730,000 new homes sold, roughly even with Octobers figure. That estimate would be about an 11% increase from November 2018s 657,000 rate. In October, the average price for a new house was $383,300 while the median price was $316,700.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago releases its National Activity Index for November. Economists forecast a negative 0.1 reading, similar to the October data. The index has had a negative reading every month this year except for June and August, after having three negative reading in 2018. This indicates that the economy, while still growing, is decelerating.
The Census Bureau releases its Durable Goods report for November. New orders for durable manufactured goods are expected to jump 1.6% after a 0.5% rise in October. Excluding transportation, new orders are seen edging up 0.2%. This compares with a 0.5% gain in October, as well.
Trading ends early, at 1 p.m., on the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq Composite for Christmas Eve. The bond market closes at 2 p.m.
The Bank of Japan releases minutes from its monetary-policy meeting at the end of October.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond releases its Fifth District Survey of Manufacturing for December. Expectations are for a 3.0 reading, up from Novembers minus 1.
Markets all over the world, including in the U.S., are closed in observance of Christmas Day.
China hosts a trilateral summit with Japan and South Korea in the southern city of Chengdu. The two-day confab convenes on Dec. 24. and concludes on Dec. 25. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and South Korean President Moon Jae-in are scheduled to attend. The denuclearization of North Korea and ongoing trade war between Japan and South Korea will be among the topics for discussion. In August, Japan removed South Korea from its list of trusted trade partners. Seoul followed suit the next month. The root of the disagreement is over Japans compensation of forced Korean laborers during World War II.
Many bourses, including those in Canada, England, and Hong Kong, are closed in observance of Boxing Day.
The Department of Labor reports initial jobless claims for the week ending on Dec. 21. The four-week moving average of claims is 225,500.
Pivotal Software holds a special shareholder meeting in San Francisco to seek approval for a proposed merger with VMware. In August, VMware announced a cash and stock offer for Pivotal Software valued at $2.7 billion.
The U.S. Energy Information Administration releases its Petroleum Status report for the week ending on Dec. 20.
Write to Avi Salzman at email@example.com
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Starts Convincing Rally To $10K After Short Term Correction: Here Are Key Hurdles - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- US Marshals Will Auction $40M in Bitcoin This Month - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Buy the Pump, Sell the Dump Does Momentum Investing Work in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies to Near $9150 as Stocks Drop Over Coronavirus Fears - Coindesk - January 29th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Above $9K Today - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoins 15% Weekly Gain Could Send Ethereum Flying: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits $9,400 In Vertical Rally, But Its At Risk of A Violent Pullback For This Key Reason - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- A Massive 500 Bitcoin Sell Order Hits Binance For First Time in a While, Heres What It Means - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Breaks over $9,000 but Coronavirus Isn't the Only Influencing... - Coinspeaker - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Rejected Back Below $9000, Is a Retest Of Lows Up Next? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin's next halving in May could send the currency to new all-time high - TechSpot - January 29th, 2020
- The Invisible Global Currency Thats 24 Times Bigger Than Bitcoin - Forbes - January 29th, 2020
- Hype Over Bitcoin (BTC) Halving Accelerating, Reports Cryptocurrency Analysis Firm Arcane Research - The Daily Hodl - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Predicted by Henry Ford 100 Years Ago - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Coronavirus Infects Gold and Bitcoin: Both Assets Poised for Risk-Off Break Outs - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin in Midst of Powerful Breakout: How Far Will Prices Go Past $10,000? - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Risk-Return a Different Beast Compared to Amazon: Analyst - Cointelegraph - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com withdraws from Bitcoin Cash proposal to divert part of block rewards to dev fund - Yahoo Finance - January 29th, 2020
- BTC HODL Target Found? Almost 50% Say They Will Sell If Bitcoin Price Reaches $100,000 - CryptoPotato - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price-33 Expected to Make 'Extra Bullish' Move. CZ Says It's Time to Unfollow Bears - U.Today - January 29th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP: Bitcoin moving on the razor edge - FXStreet - January 29th, 2020
- No, Bitcoin Gains Are Not Down To Fears Of Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Crypto Killed the Tax Man: Bitcoin Cash Escapes Hash War Over Mining Tax Grenade - CCN.com - January 29th, 2020
- $9,500 is Imminent For Bitcoin Despite 5% Intraday Gain: Heres Why - newsBTC - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Moves on Path to Money But Unit of Account a Long Way Off - Bitcoinist - January 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Breaks 7-Month Downtrend But Must Clear These Hurdles to $10K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator That Called 2019 Bull Run Flashes Green Again - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - January 27th, 2020
- Different Type of Shakeout Trader Says Bitcoin Unlikely to Hit $6K - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Exchange LocalBitcoins - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Likely to Aim for $8,900 If It Holds Above $8,500, Crypto Analyst Predicts - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Surged to $8,950: Heres Why Analysts Expect a Bigger Price Explosion - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallied 230% Last Time This Signal Flashed, And Its Back Again - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Strong Bitcoin Rally Sparks Fears of a Virus-Driven Violent Recession - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- A Serious Bitcoin Correction to Occur if BTC Drops to This Level: Top Trader - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Tokyo Bitcoin theft duo arrested by police - Yahoo Finance - January 27th, 2020
- Top Bitcoin Benefits Naysayers Need to Know - Bitcoinist - January 27th, 2020
- Your Bitcoin (BTC) Should Be Seized to Pay for 'Climate Reparations,' Says Security Consultant - U.Today - January 27th, 2020
- Scarily Accurate Analyst Gives 4 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Wont Crash at $8,500 - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- Elon Musk Reveals His True Opinion on Bitcoin and Crypto - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Nothing Special Bitcoin Slumps 6% on Coronavirus, Chinese New Year - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Bulls on their Marks above $8500, Analysts Point to the Last Stand for Bears - Coingape - January 27th, 2020
- Free Bitcoins: The Possibility to Waste Your Time and... - Coinspeaker - January 27th, 2020
- Renowned analysts comment on Bitcoin, Ethereum, and XRP as the uptrend resumes - CryptoSlate - January 27th, 2020
- Notes From the WEF: Oil-Producing Nations Want Dollar Alternatives, Just Not Bitcoin - Coindesk - January 27th, 2020
- HODL Strong: Over Half of The Bitcoin Supply Hasnt Moved in Over a Year - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020