If you're cashing in some of your Bitcoin this year, the IRS wants to know about it.
On Monday, the cryptocurrency's value hit new heights, surging beyond $19,800 for a unit of Bitcoin. The asset's appreciation has skyrocketed this year, rising by 160% in 2020.
Understand that if you want to take a few of those holdings off the table, you'll need to share that information when you file your individual income tax return next spring.
More from Smart Tax Planning:Got a scary letter from the IRS? How to dealFive steps business owners can take to trim their taxesSpend down these tax-advantaged dollars or lose them
In fact, the IRS gets right to the point, asking on the first page of the income tax return, or Form 1040, "At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?"
You'll have to check yes or no.
"The first thing with cryptocurrency is that, if you have crypto transactions, you'll need to report them," said Andy Phillips, director of the Tax Institute at H&R Block.
"The question is front and center the first thing that they touch on Form 1040," he said.
People who transacted with virtual currency aren't the only ones who'll be checking the yes box on their 1040 next year.
If you received any crypto for free, you're still expected to check yes on the front of your tax return, according to newly released draft instructions from the IRS.
Exchanged some virtual currency for goods and services or for other property including different cryptocurrency? You still need to answer yes.
You'll also need to keep records of your transactions, which can get tricky if you're using multiple exchanges or different types of cryptocurrency.
"People have multiple exchanges and the more spread out the cryptocurrency is, the more challenging it is to gather it together and do your calculations," said Kirk Phillips, CPA and member of member of the American Institute of CPAs' Virtual Currency Task Force.
The IRS considers virtual currency to be property the same way it treats stocks or other investments.
This way, if you bought some Ethereum and then sell it or if you swap it for something else, you've incurred a capital gain or a capital loss. If you captured a gain, then you're responsible for taxes.
Here's where things can get confusing: Major cryptocurrency exchanges may provide taxpayers with a Form 1099-K with these details if they've had gross payments exceeding $20,000 and they've made more than 200 transactions.
Once you know the IRS has access to the information, it's better to come into compliance before they come calling.
Mark Luscombe, CPA
principal federal tax analyst at Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting
"That threshold is so high," said Phillips at H&R Block.
"A lot of taxpayers either don't do a lot of transactions," he said. "Or if they do many of them, they use multiple exchanges and don't hit the threshold on any one exchange."
Even if you're below the threshold, you're still required to report the transaction and pay taxes owed.
Virtual currency from an employer is treated like wages.
That means federal income taxes and FICA taxes apply. It will be reported on your Form W-2, which you shouldreceive from your employerby the end of January.
If you mine cryptocurrency, you're also required to include it in your taxable income. You would include the fair market value as of the date you received it.
The IRS has been cracking down on unreported transactions in recent years. Last year, the agency sent letters to more than 10,000 taxpayers with virtual currency transactions, telling them to pay back taxes and file amended returns.
Failing to report income can carry hefty penalties and interest. In the worst case, you could go to prison and be fined up to $250,000.
krisanapong detraphiphat | Moment | Getty Images
Transacted in virtual currency this year? Know three key points: the fair market value of at the time of the transaction, your basis the amount you originally paid when you acquired the asset and the holding period.
"If the holding period is greater than one year, it's considered long-term capital gains," Mark Luscombe, CPA, principal federal tax analyst at Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting. "If it's less than one year, it's ordinary income."
The difference in tax treatment is stark: Long term capital gains are subject to rates of 0%, 15% or 20%, while ordinary income rates can be as high as 37%.
Several software providers have emerged including LukkaTax and Bitcoin.Tax to help individuals keep track of their transactions and basis.
Expect the taxman to take a hard line with compliance around crypto.
"Once you know the IRS has access to the information, it's better to come into compliance before they come calling," said Luscombe.
Read the original post:
Bitcoin hit the $19,800 mark. What the IRS wants to know about your holdings - CNBC
- $150 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- What is bitcoin and why are so many people looking to buy it? - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin plunges more than 20% in three days. It's now in a bear market - CNN - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Bull Run: OGs on Why This Ones Different - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges More Than 25%, Which Is Bad News For These Stocks Today - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- From tech to bitcoin, long-time bull Ed Yardeni worries a meltdown will strike the market - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Tumbling Because Regulators Are Paying Attention - Barron's - January 12th, 2021
- Oil and bitcoin rise, but US small business optimism slides business live - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Insider Q&A: Bitcoin's massive rise and what comes next - ABC News - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Stellars Lumen Weekly Technical Analysis January 11th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Sleeping Bitcoins Worth $40 Million Move- Mystery Miner Spends Another 1,000 BTC From 2010 Block Rewards | News - Bitcoin News - January 12th, 2021
- Future FinTech's mBTC System and Technology Allows Consumers to Use Bitcoin as An Online Payment Method - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin's wild rally and a fear of missing out has retail investors flocking to crypto - CNBC - January 10th, 2021
- The case for and against investing in Bitcoin - Livemint - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $40,000 as investors seek hedge against inflation - The Guardian - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's parabolic price surge near $42,000 is the 'mother of all bubbles' - MarketWatch - January 10th, 2021
- This Bitcoin Ransomware Rakes in $150 Million in BTC | Security Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2021
- The price movement in Bitcoin is textbook: Fundstrat Global Advisors' Tom Lee - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin hits fresh record high near $42,000, climbing 40% so far this year - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- Bill Miller says bitcoin becomes less risky the higher the price goes - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- The 2021 Outlook for Bitcoin Prices, Adoption and Risks - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Why Is Bitcoin Going Up, and Will It Crash Soon? What's Next as Price Doubles to $40K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin rally may be the 'mother of all bubbles' says BofA - CNN - January 8th, 2021
- Treasury Signals Intention To Make Cryptocurrency Like Bitcoin Reportable On FBAR - Forbes - January 8th, 2021
- How bitcoin narratives have evolved to fuel current price surge - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin advocates revolt against the Trump administrations frantic crypto regulations - TechCrunch - January 8th, 2021
- Expected Rise in Ether-Bitcoin Volatility Points to Altcoin Season Ahead: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Finland Pushes to Sell Tainted Trove of Bitcoins Worth Tens of Millions - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin's record rise near $36,000 mints another $1 billion 'mining' company - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is surging to record highs on 'FOMO' and Joe Biden stimulus bets - ABC News - January 8th, 2021
- Is the financial establishment coming round to bitcoin? - The Economist - January 8th, 2021
- How to add Bitcoin to your Isa and profit tax-free - Telegraph.co.uk - January 8th, 2021
- Explained: How bitcoin investments can be taxed in India? - CNBCTV18 - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin Tops $35,000 for Fresh Record as Wild Swings Resume - Bloomberg - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Sets New All-Time High Above $35K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin is breaking records because bigger investors are buying it now, says PwC - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices could really go haywire if this happens in 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Why Ive Changed My Mind on Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges Into 2021, Rose Nearly 20% Over Weekend - The Wall Street Journal - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges to Record High on its 12th Anniversary - GlobeNewswire - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin will make you poor! Heres how Id invest in 2021 to create passive income for life - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $35,000 for fresh records as wild swings resume - Economic Times - January 6th, 2021
- Grayscale Sells XRP to Buy Bitcoin and Ethereum - Finance Magnates - January 6th, 2021
- Morning Bell With Jim Cramer: Time to Buy Bitcoin? - TheStreet - January 6th, 2021
- Daily Chart - The price of bitcoin has soared to record heights | Graphic detail - The Economist - January 6th, 2021
- Forget gold and Bitcoin. Id follow Warren Buffetts advice in 2021 - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin crosses $34,000 first time in 12 years, rises $5,000 in 3 days - Business Today - January 6th, 2021
- Binance US CEO Catherine Coley explains the surge in Bitcoin value - KTLA - January 6th, 2021
- Stocks and bitcoin are massive bubbles, long-time bear David Rosenberg warns - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Billions in lost Bitcoin: the buried treasure that people can never get back : Planet Money - NPR - January 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Bitcoin Price Predictions: Is The Massive Bitcoin Bull Run About To Peak? - Forbes - January 2nd, 2021
- Forget the Bitcoin price! Heres how Id invest in the best shares now to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2021
- With bitcoin ticking over $28,000, now might be a good time to give some of it to charity - CNBC - January 2nd, 2021
- Associate Professor of Finance on Bitcoin rally: Blockchain technology is real and effective - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2021
- Russell Okung to become first NFL player paid in Bitcoin - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Chart points to bitcoin peaking out in early 2021, trader says - CNBC - December 29th, 2020
- Petition Launched To Extend Comment Period On Cryptocurrency/Bitcoin Self-Custody Regulations - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Jumped. Its Near a Record High. - Barron's - December 29th, 2020
- Why MicroStrategy and Other Bitcoin Stocks Soared Today - The Motley Fool - December 29th, 2020
- Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K, $140K - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Centre may impose 18% GST on bitcoin trading - Business Today - December 29th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Called Bitcoin 'Rat Poison' Now It's Closing In On Berkshire Hathaway's Valuation - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- CleanSpark to Discuss Bitcoin Mining Acquisition and Related Growth Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Why bitcoin's blockbuster 2020 is different than the 2017 bubble - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Here's How Much Investing $1,000 In Bitcoin On Jan. 1, 2020 Would Be Worth Now - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices sky-rocketed 200% in 2020 but small investors should stay away: Here's why - Economic Times - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin is irrelevant and investors 'are going to weep' if regulators come down hard on crypto, says Kevin O'Leary - Business Insider - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 24th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2020
- Big investors new to cryptocurrencies appear to be behind bitcoin's rally to a record - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Real Estate Billionaire Sam Zell Skeptical of Bitcoin but Says 'It May Be the Answer or One of the Answers' | Featured - Bitcoin News - December 24th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin could see a 25%-30% sell-off in the new year, but it's still a long-term buy, trader says - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Treat Bitcoin like a punt, and not as an investment - Mint - December 24th, 2020
- Massive Bitcoin Gains Are Being Dwarfed By Ripples XRP, Litecoin, Ethereum And These Minor Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Why Stocks of Bitcoin Miners CleanSpark, Marathon, and Riot Blockchain Were Up Again Today - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Arent You Glad You Kept Your Bitcoin? Dont Sell It. - Forbes - December 14th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Falling, And What It Means - Forbes - December 14th, 2020