The price of Bitcoin (BTC) faces two crucial events on Dec. 1 right after the weekly and monthly candles close. The upcoming weekly candle close is particularly noteworthy because it could mark the first red weekly candle since late September.
The monthly candle will be significant since it would mark the highest close in Bitcoins history if the price remains over $13,791.
There are three key factors that could cause the volatility of Bitcoin to spike upon the weekly and monthly candle close. The factors are general uncertainty around the BTC price, record-high futures trading activity and open interest, as well as the overextended weekly chart.
Meanwhile, traders have turned cautiousanticipating a pullback in the near term despite the rebound in price from around $16,500 on Nov. 28.
There are two key trends that could be fueling the recovery of BTC. First, Guggenheim Investments, a global asset management firm with over $233 billion in assets under management, secured the right to invest $500 million in the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust.
In the U.S., where a Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) does not exist, the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust is the first point of entry for most institutional investors. Deribit reported that the news triggered significant buying activity in the options market. The firm said:
Second, high-net-worth investors and whales might be buying the dip in anticipation of Monday. In recent weeks, as quantitative traders pointed out, most of the buyer demand came from the U.S.
Some speculate that the demand is coming from Time-weighted Average Price (TWAP) algorithms, typically used by institutions and funds. Since TWAP algorithms would get activated again on Monday, this could add to the buyer demand for BTC.
There is a high degree of uncertainty in the cryptocurrency market at the moment as traders are divided on where the price will go next.
Some are confident that BTC likely bottomed during the weekend due to market trends. For instance, Avi Felman, the head of trading at BlockTower, said that on Coinbase the recent pullback caused BTC to transfer to stronger hands.
Sell-offs during a bull market can become overextended, especially because traders often look for reasons to sell. As such, overleveraged buyers get caught at local tops, leading to cascading liquidations. But BTC frequently tends to recover right when traders expect more downside and market sentiment reaches a low point. Felman explained:
Additionally, various technical indicators signal that Bitcoin is neither overbought nor oversold across lower timeframes.
On the daily chart, as an example, the Relative Strength Index (RSI) of BTC is at around 55. An asset is considered oversold on the RSI indicator if it drops below 35. Hence, Bitcoin is in an awkward position because high time frame charts, like the weekly chart, remain overbought.
This has led traders to predict a potential correction to the $13,000 to $14,000 support range could soon occur. This high level of uncertainty in the market could cause volatility to increase as the new weekly and monthly candles open.
The open interest across futures exchanges would likely increase again, raising the probability of big price movements.
Throughout the rally of Bitcoin in recent weeks, the trading activity on major BTC futures exchanges has continuously increased. Despite the recent drop, the open interest on top futures trading platforms remains above $1 billion. When the open interest is high, the likelihood of a short or long squeeze increases, which may result in large spikes in volatility.
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME), in particular, has seen a noticeable increase in Bitcoin futures trading activity. Interestingly, Arcane Research reported that large traders who hold a minimum position of over 25 BTC more than doubled on the CME in 2020.
The researchers at Arcane explained that this trend shows increased institutional demand for Bitcoin. The heightened trading activity on CME, which tailors to accredited and institutional investors, can cause short-term volatility to increase due to the large sizes of trades. The researchers said:
Although the institutional demand for Bitcoin has been rising, the futures market remains a major factor driving volatility.
Cointelegraph reported earlier this week that when BTC fell from $19,400 to $16,200 largely due to cascading liquidations, over $400 million worth of futures contracts were wiped out on Binance Futures alone.
Bitcoin will see a new weekly candle emerge in the next 48 hours, but the variable remains the overbought nature on the weekly time frame.
The RSI of the weekly chart is at 88, and when the RSI of an asset surpasses 75, it is considered overbought. The weekly candle is also significantly above short-term moving averages (MAs), namely the 5-day, 10-day and 20-day MAs.
Traders have been anticipating a correction because the weekly chart is overextended. It would make a more sustainable rally if BTC consolidates above short-term MAs, as it would give time for the derivatives market and spot buyer demand to catch up.
Furthermore, the monthly candle chart of Bitcoin is even more overextended than the weekly chart. The 5-day, 10-day and 20-day MAs are at $13,129, $10,778, and $9,685, respectively, and significantly below the current market price.
But whether technicals alone would cause BTC to correct in the foreseeable future remains uncertain. If institutional buyers, like Guggenheim, continue to make headlines by entering the Bitcoin market, it could attract additional buyers and retail interest in the near term.
To boot, December has historically been highly volatile for the price of Bitcoin. Though December 2019 recorded a relatively low level of volatility, the end of 2017 and 2018 saw wild price swings including the all-time high BTC price of nearly $20,000 and the bear market bottom, respectively.
If a similar pattern emerges, BTC price could see a spike in volatility as it heads towards the end of the year.
- $150 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- What is bitcoin and why are so many people looking to buy it? - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin plunges more than 20% in three days. It's now in a bear market - CNN - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Bull Run: OGs on Why This Ones Different - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges More Than 25%, Which Is Bad News For These Stocks Today - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2021
- From tech to bitcoin, long-time bull Ed Yardeni worries a meltdown will strike the market - CNBC - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Tumbling Because Regulators Are Paying Attention - Barron's - January 12th, 2021
- Oil and bitcoin rise, but US small business optimism slides business live - The Guardian - January 12th, 2021
- Insider Q&A: Bitcoin's massive rise and what comes next - ABC News - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Stellars Lumen Weekly Technical Analysis January 11th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2021
- Sleeping Bitcoins Worth $40 Million Move- Mystery Miner Spends Another 1,000 BTC From 2010 Block Rewards | News - Bitcoin News - January 12th, 2021
- Future FinTech's mBTC System and Technology Allows Consumers to Use Bitcoin as An Online Payment Method - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin's wild rally and a fear of missing out has retail investors flocking to crypto - CNBC - January 10th, 2021
- The case for and against investing in Bitcoin - Livemint - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $40,000 as investors seek hedge against inflation - The Guardian - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's parabolic price surge near $42,000 is the 'mother of all bubbles' - MarketWatch - January 10th, 2021
- This Bitcoin Ransomware Rakes in $150 Million in BTC | Security Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 10th, 2021
- The price movement in Bitcoin is textbook: Fundstrat Global Advisors' Tom Lee - Yahoo Finance - January 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin hits fresh record high near $42,000, climbing 40% so far this year - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- Bill Miller says bitcoin becomes less risky the higher the price goes - CNBC - January 8th, 2021
- The 2021 Outlook for Bitcoin Prices, Adoption and Risks - Kiplinger's Personal Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Why Is Bitcoin Going Up, and Will It Crash Soon? What's Next as Price Doubles to $40K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin rally may be the 'mother of all bubbles' says BofA - CNN - January 8th, 2021
- Treasury Signals Intention To Make Cryptocurrency Like Bitcoin Reportable On FBAR - Forbes - January 8th, 2021
- How bitcoin narratives have evolved to fuel current price surge - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin advocates revolt against the Trump administrations frantic crypto regulations - TechCrunch - January 8th, 2021
- Expected Rise in Ether-Bitcoin Volatility Points to Altcoin Season Ahead: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Finland Pushes to Sell Tainted Trove of Bitcoins Worth Tens of Millions - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin's record rise near $36,000 mints another $1 billion 'mining' company - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is surging to record highs on 'FOMO' and Joe Biden stimulus bets - ABC News - January 8th, 2021
- Is the financial establishment coming round to bitcoin? - The Economist - January 8th, 2021
- How to add Bitcoin to your Isa and profit tax-free - Telegraph.co.uk - January 8th, 2021
- Explained: How bitcoin investments can be taxed in India? - CNBCTV18 - January 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin Tops $35,000 for Fresh Record as Wild Swings Resume - Bloomberg - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Sets New All-Time High Above $35K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin is breaking records because bigger investors are buying it now, says PwC - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices could really go haywire if this happens in 2021 - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Why Ive Changed My Mind on Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges Into 2021, Rose Nearly 20% Over Weekend - The Wall Street Journal - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin Surges to Record High on its 12th Anniversary - GlobeNewswire - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin will make you poor! Heres how Id invest in 2021 to create passive income for life - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin tops $35,000 for fresh records as wild swings resume - Economic Times - January 6th, 2021
- Grayscale Sells XRP to Buy Bitcoin and Ethereum - Finance Magnates - January 6th, 2021
- Morning Bell With Jim Cramer: Time to Buy Bitcoin? - TheStreet - January 6th, 2021
- Daily Chart - The price of bitcoin has soared to record heights | Graphic detail - The Economist - January 6th, 2021
- Forget gold and Bitcoin. Id follow Warren Buffetts advice in 2021 - Yahoo Finance UK - January 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin crosses $34,000 first time in 12 years, rises $5,000 in 3 days - Business Today - January 6th, 2021
- Binance US CEO Catherine Coley explains the surge in Bitcoin value - KTLA - January 6th, 2021
- Stocks and bitcoin are massive bubbles, long-time bear David Rosenberg warns - CNBC - January 6th, 2021
- Billions in lost Bitcoin: the buried treasure that people can never get back : Planet Money - NPR - January 2nd, 2021
- 2021 Bitcoin Price Predictions: Is The Massive Bitcoin Bull Run About To Peak? - Forbes - January 2nd, 2021
- Forget the Bitcoin price! Heres how Id invest in the best shares now to make a million - Yahoo Finance UK - January 2nd, 2021
- With bitcoin ticking over $28,000, now might be a good time to give some of it to charity - CNBC - January 2nd, 2021
- Associate Professor of Finance on Bitcoin rally: Blockchain technology is real and effective - Yahoo Finance - January 2nd, 2021
- Russell Okung to become first NFL player paid in Bitcoin - Local 5 - weareiowa.com - January 2nd, 2021
- Chart points to bitcoin peaking out in early 2021, trader says - CNBC - December 29th, 2020
- Petition Launched To Extend Comment Period On Cryptocurrency/Bitcoin Self-Custody Regulations - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Jumped. Its Near a Record High. - Barron's - December 29th, 2020
- Why MicroStrategy and Other Bitcoin Stocks Soared Today - The Motley Fool - December 29th, 2020
- Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K, $140K - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Centre may impose 18% GST on bitcoin trading - Business Today - December 29th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Called Bitcoin 'Rat Poison' Now It's Closing In On Berkshire Hathaway's Valuation - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin To 27K Projection? - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- CleanSpark to Discuss Bitcoin Mining Acquisition and Related Growth Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Why bitcoin's blockbuster 2020 is different than the 2017 bubble - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Here's How Much Investing $1,000 In Bitcoin On Jan. 1, 2020 Would Be Worth Now - Yahoo Finance - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices sky-rocketed 200% in 2020 but small investors should stay away: Here's why - Economic Times - December 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin is irrelevant and investors 'are going to weep' if regulators come down hard on crypto, says Kevin O'Leary - Business Insider - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Attracts Wave Of Private Investment As Leading Blockchain VC Raises New $120 Million Fund - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoins Rally Has Already Outlasted 2017s Epic Run - The Wall Street Journal - December 24th, 2020
- The price of bitcoin is 'driven by manipulation': Nouriel Roubini - Yahoo Finance - December 24th, 2020
- Big investors new to cryptocurrencies appear to be behind bitcoin's rally to a record - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Real Estate Billionaire Sam Zell Skeptical of Bitcoin but Says 'It May Be the Answer or One of the Answers' | Featured - Bitcoin News - December 24th, 2020
- Here's Why I Won't Buy Bitcoin, and You Shouldn't, Either - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin could see a 25%-30% sell-off in the new year, but it's still a long-term buy, trader says - CNBC - December 24th, 2020
- Treat Bitcoin like a punt, and not as an investment - Mint - December 24th, 2020
- Massive Bitcoin Gains Are Being Dwarfed By Ripples XRP, Litecoin, Ethereum And These Minor Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - December 24th, 2020
- Why Stocks of Bitcoin Miners CleanSpark, Marathon, and Riot Blockchain Were Up Again Today - Motley Fool - December 24th, 2020
- Arent You Glad You Kept Your Bitcoin? Dont Sell It. - Forbes - December 14th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Falling, And What It Means - Forbes - December 14th, 2020