The new work-from-home culture is gaining more traction than ever before as businesses, government departments and schools try to remain afloat while flattening the pandemic curve. This migration to remote working is a double-edged sword that creates a fertile land for cybercriminals to thrive on. There is no way that cyberattacks can be eliminated completely. The best that companies can do is minimize the frequency of the threats.
Cybercriminals use malicious software code to block people or organizations from accessing their computer systems until a ransom has been paid. Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin (BTC) have made it easy for these nefarious actors to receive payment without exposing their identities.
The United States cybercrime arm of the Department of Homeland Security, in conjunction with the United Kingdoms National Cybersecurity Centre has already issued alert warnings about an increase in phishing scams that can lead to installing malware on computer systems. The joint alert was issued as the number of cyberattacks against remote workers increased.
Hackers are targeting individuals and all kinds of establishments. In June, the University of California at San Francisco was forced to fork out $1.14 million in Bitcoin after suffering a ransomware attack. In May, hackers successfully attacked celebrity lawyers Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks. The criminals threatened to expose one terabyte of data of celebrities private data unless a ransom was paid in Bitcoin. Additionally, the City of Johannesburg, South Africas financial capital, was targeted in a Bitcoin ransomware attack in October 2019.
Cryptocurrencies, due to their anonymity, are becoming popular with cybercriminals. Hackers receive the ransom payment in privacy coins or major cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin. The digital assets are then cleaned by being passed through mixing services.
As companies allow their employees to work from home, they have to realize that their data and secrets are at stake. While remote employees are the targets, it is the companies that suffer at the end of the day. It goes without saying that prevention is better than a cure. Companies need to invest in teaching their employees how to safeguard their computers or systems.
According to cybersecurity firm Sophos, about 73% of ransomware attacks result in data being encrypted. For a ransomware attack to be successful, it goes through three stages:
There are several ways in which ransomware begins its process. It could be a simple phishing email or hackers could exploit vulnerabilities in network systems. Firewalls should be used to block ransomware. Some companies may think that implementing a firewall is expensive, but the clean-up bill is much higher.
Employees should use strong passwords that are a mix of all types of characters found on a standard computer keyboard. The passwords should also be constantly changed. There are free tools that can be used to generate strong passwords that are not easy to crack.
This is a difficult question, as it normally depends on what the company has to lose if the ransom is not paid. Hackers usually target a company if they know that there is valuable data. In most cases, it could be damaging for a companys operations and reputation if its data, or that of its clients, is leaked on the internet or sold to the highest bidder on the darknet. Nefarious actors were recently selling 160 million user records stolen from 11 companies on the dark web, asking for a combined price of just over $23,000.
The answer to this question is not clear, but logic points to paying the ransom. And cryptocurrencies will be used to facilitate these transactions.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed here are the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions of Cointelegraph.
Michael J. Garbade is the co-founder and CEO of Education Ecosystem. He is a serial tech entrepreneur who formerly worked at Amazon, General Electric, Rebate Networks, Photobucket and Unicredit Group. Garbade has experience working in the United States, Europe, Asia and South America.
Go here to read the rest:
Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Stacking Satoshis: Leveraging Defi Applications to Earn More Bitcoin | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- FCA bans the public from Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency derivatives - Evening Standard - October 6th, 2020
- Pro-Crypto PAC Giving $50 in Bitcoin to the Campaign of Each Member of Congress - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 6th, 2020
- Ethereum Transaction Fees Fall 82%, as Defi Hype Eases | Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress sends $50 in Bitcoin to all US Congress members - Crypto News Flash - October 6th, 2020
- Abkhazia Lifts Two-Year Ban on Bitcoin Mining, Moves to Regulate the Sector | Regulation - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Why reduced Bitcoin futures volume may signal the start of a new bull trend - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Rebounds to $10.5K; Stablecoin Market Cap Goes Parabolic - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Spike in new participants buying Bitcoin is obviously bullish Analyst - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Romania set to auction Bitcoin and Ether confiscated in criminal case - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Balances on Exchanges at 2-Year Low and That May Be a Bullish Sign - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela To Start Using Cryptocurrency in Global Trade in Efforts To Fend off US Sanctions | Emerging Markets - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Posts a 66-Day Consecutive Streak Above the $10K Price Range | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Aurus Disrupts the Gold Industry Today Its Ecosystem Lists at a Value of $75m | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Peer-to-Peer vision for Bitcoin - Korea IT Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Bets on the US Election Show Joe Biden Winning the Presidency by 60% - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- At $10,600, Bitcoin price is on track for its second-best quarter ever - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- Devere Group CEO Predicts Bitcoin Can Replace Gold as Top Safe-Haven Within a Generation | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- Trump, tax and hacks: 5 things shaping Bitcoin price action this week - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- One of Hal Finney's lost contributions to Bitcoin Core to be 'resurrected' - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- French police arrest terror financing ring that used Bitcoin coupons - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- What The IRS's Interest In Your Bitcoins Says About The Future Of Cryptocurrencies - Forbes - September 30th, 2020
- New DeFi Project NEW KANGEN (NEWG) Presale Will Start on 2nd October 2020 | Press release - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Token Projects to Recover $130M from the Kucoin Hack, Devs Condemned for Centralization - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- A Record $1.2 Billion in Bitcoin Has Now Moved to Ethereum - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- USDT Trading Arrives on Bitcoin Global - Yahoo Finance - September 30th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Family: Still on the RoadAfter Three Years! - Decrypt - September 30th, 2020
- What REALLY Moves Bitcoin? - Elliott Wave International - September 30th, 2020
- Listen to Calvin Ayre talk about how he found opportunity in Bitcoin - CalvinAyre.com - September 30th, 2020
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020