A new study from Bitcoin startup Veriphi finds companies and users sending bitcoin transactions could have saved more than half a billion dollars in fees if all companies, including wallets and exchanges, had used the most up-to-date technology.
Each bitcoin transaction has an optional fee tacked on. Users have the ability to choose the amount of this fee. If the Bitcoin blockchain is particularly busy, seeing too many transactions at once, a higher fee will ensure a transaction gets picked up by miners and goes through faster.
Bitcoin fees cost an average of about $3 per transaction, according to Bitcoin statistic site bitinfocharts. Fees rise with demand. There have been times in Bitcoins history, particularly in 2017, when fees exploded due to increasing demand. Bitcoin has limited space for transactions, so users had to pay higher fees if they wanted their transaction to go through faster.
These fees are a pain, so bitcoin developers have spent a lot of energy on carving out more Bitcoin block space to make room for new users and their transactions while keeping within the actual block-size constraint of 1 MB.
Transaction batching and SegWit
Veriphis report concludes companies could have saved 21,131.97 BTC in fees (worth $195 million) if all transactions from January 2012 to June 2020 had used a technique called transaction batching.
Transaction batching is a way of sending multiple transactions at once in order to cut down on paying for each individual transaction. This option is more likely to be used by companies, like exchanges Coinbase and Kraken, which send several transactions at once, rather than singular users.
Plus, users could have saved 36,685.72 BTC in fees (worth $339 million) if SegWit had been used on all transactions from August 2017 to June 2020. That adds up to a total of 57,817.69 BTC, worth more than $534 million at the time the report was released.
SegWit, officially added to Bitcoin in 2017, is a technology that allows for more space for transactions per block.
Even though SegWit was activated nearly three years ago, each individual wallet and bitcoin service needs to individually add support for these types of transactions. In some cases, individual users still need to opt in to using SegWit-enabled addresses for their transactions.
As can be expected, wallets and other bitcoin services have so far adopted SegWit at their own pace. Adding a new way to send transactions isnt a trivial task and requires engineering bandwidth; as such, some companies have not prioritized making the necessary infrastructure changes to their platforms.
If average fees grow higher than users would like, however, users who want to save on fees may jump from these slow-to-act platforms over to a bitcoin wallet or exchange thats adopted SegWit.
Bitcoin fees and the next bull run
That said, Gustavo J. Flores, Veriphi head of product and research argued that both SegWit and transaction batching have been around for years. And users of these wallets and services could have saved a lot of money if these technologies had been used for that entire time.
I saw the news a couple of months ago of Coinbase integrating transaction batching into their system and I thought how late that was, given that batching has been around since 2011 or 2012. We were wondering, how big was the impact of all these companies and users that hadnt adopted batching and Segwit? And it turned out to be a pretty substantial number: half a billion dollars, Flores told CoinDesk.
Now that bitcoins price has jumped to more than $11,000, perhaps signalling the start of the next bull run, its time to consider a scenario where fees might be on the rise again.
In the report, Veriphi encourages any person or entity responsible for sending many transactions to think about best practices for saving money on fees.
The savings potential presented is significant and those conducting large amounts of transactions should seriously consider employing these tools in order to remain competitive and save money.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- 'Massive moment' as first ever DLC smart contract deployed on the Bitcoin mainnet - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Argentina Government Refuses to Pay $4M Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers Who Paralyzed Its Borders | News - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- Square Aims to Stop Patent Trolls From Killing Bitcoin Adoption - Decrypt - September 10th, 2020
- How bitcoin met the real world in Africa - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Schiff buys more Bitcoin But theres a twist - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- If A Second Stimulus Check Is Coming, Using It To Buy Bitcoin Could Be A Disaster - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Braced For A Massive Week - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Taking Its Place on the Global Monetary Stage - ETF Trends - September 8th, 2020
- A new phase in Bitcoins evolution - City Index - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin - The Future of Digital Currencies - Nairametrics - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Trons TRX Weekly Technical Analysis September 7th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 4th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists Announced to Compete for USD $100,000 - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 2nd, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Coinsilium backs RSK as Bitcoin and DeFi rocket (COIN) - Value The Markets - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- What Top US Politicians and POTUS Election Candidates Think of Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Macro Trend Unaffected by Chinese Investors $50B Tether Exodus - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- YFI Price Exceeds Bitcoin Price at $15K But Theres a Catch - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins Bull Run Is Slowing Pullback Now Expected - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Lost Its Way: Heres How to Return to Cryptos Subversive Roots - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- John McAfee Ditches Ghost Crypto Project: He Says It Will Fail | News - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Dust Attacks Make a Mess in Bitcoin Wallets, but There Could Be a Fix - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- 12 Crypto Firms Authorized to Operate License-Free in Hawaii for Two Years | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- China's Bitcoin Mining Industry Impacted the Most This Year, Says Report - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Tesla: America's Most Loved Assets on Tradingview | News - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) has a 30% Chance of Hitting $17k by EOY - Crypto Analyst - Ethereum World News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Keeps Rejecting $12K Heres What Can Happen to BTC - Cointelegraph - August 16th, 2020
- U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to Be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups - The New York Times - August 16th, 2020
- With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last YearAnd Its Still Soaring - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- What Venezuelans Think About Bitcoin and American Media - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- Surging Chainlink Pushes Bitcoin Cash Out Of The Crypto Top Five As Wild Value Tops $6 Billion - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- Coinbase to Offer Bitcoin-Backed Loans to US Customers - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- PSF Token Invokes the First Coin-Age Staking Protocol on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Wallet Reveals USDT Support - Users Can Swap and Store SLP-Based Tether | Promoted - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020