For crypto owners looking to estimate how much they owe in taxes, there are some platforms with a free crypto tax calculator. They integrate with major crypto exchanges and wallets, allowing you to import your crypto transaction data and start calculating your taxes for free. Some of them also integrate with leading tax filing software such as Turbotax.
Also read: Bitcoin, Tesla Stock, Tron: How Warren Buffett Got His First Bitcoin
As cryptocurrencies become more popular and their adoption rises, governments worldwide are ramping up their efforts to tax them. In the U.S., the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has named cryptocurrency a top priority this year. Not only has the agency sent out over 10,000 letters to remind crypto owners they must pay taxes, but its main tax form used by over 150 million U.S. filers now includes a cryptocurrency question.
For crypto owners who want to calculate how much they owe in taxes, there are many tax preparation platforms with a crypto tax calculator to help them minimize their tax liabilities and claim all the deductions possible. Most online crypto tax calculators require you to import your transaction data from exchanges or wallets in order to calculate your tax obligations. They will also generate various reports to help you with tax reporting and filing. Some have even partnered with leading tax filing services such as Turbotax. Below are some popular platforms with a cryptocurrency tax calculator. For more options, see our post on 10 useful tax tools for crypto owners.
Crypto Trader Tax by Coin Ledger is a tax reporting platform with a built-in crypto tax calculator. It integrates with all major crypto exchanges, including Coinbase, Coinbase Pro, Bittrex, Bitstamp, Gemini, Poloniex, Binance, Kucoin, Kraken, Bitfinex, Huobi, Hitbtc, and Cash App. You can also import data from unsupported exchanges manually. Once you have imported your data, Crypto Trader Tax will calculate your tax obligations and generate tax reports.
The platforms crypto tax calculator is free to use. You only have to pay when you want to view and download your full report, its website details. The reports generated include an audit trail report, the IRS Form 8949, a short and long term gains report, and a crypto income report. The platform also offers international support. Your capital gains and losses can be calculated in every fiat currency and your tax reports used in any country that supports FIFO, LIFO, or specific identification methods.
Four pricing levels are available on Crypto Tax Trader: $49, $99, $199, and $299. The cheapest plan allows you to import up to 100 trades. All levels have Turbotax and Taxact integration to help you file your tax returns.
Koinly is also a popular platform with a crypto tax calculator, available in over 20 countries. Similar Crypto Trader Tax, to use Koinlys tax calculator, you need to import your data from crypto exchanges, wallets or public addresses. You can then review your transactions and generate your tax reports, which include capital gains, income and gifts, margin trades, options and futures trades, and audit logs. You can then export your transactions to tax filing platforms such as Turbotax, Taxact, and Xero.
It is also free to start using Koinlys crypto tax calculator. Start for free, pay only when you are ready to generate your reports, its website states. To generate tax reports for filing, Koinly offers three plans costing $79, $179, and $399. The cheapest level allows 300 transactions.
Cointracker has been advertising its free crypto tax calculator since January. Cryptocurrency users with up to 200 transactions in a given tax year can use Cointracker to calculate cryptocurrency taxes free of charge, the company wrote. This enables the majority of cryptocurrency users to seamlessly become and stay tax compliant as they transact and use cryptocurrency, all at zero cost.
The free level comes with portfolio tracking, capital gains tax calculation, and error reconciliation. The platform also offers a more heavy-duty plan which costs $179, allows up to 3,000 transactions, and comes with several more options. There is also an unlimited level for which you need to contact the company for a quote.
Zenledger describes itself as much more than just a free crypto tax calculator. It claims to be The most comprehensive cryptocurrency tax software on the market. The service aggregates your many ledgers, marks the transactions to market, and allows you to categorize each transaction by use. It also integrates with major crypto exchanges and has partnered with Turbotax. Reports it generates include completed tax forms and audit reports.
Besides a free tax estimate, Zenledger offers a variety of pricing options, starting at $69, $149, and $399. The lowest level allows up to 1000 transactions and $15,000 in total asset value. Product consulting and customization service is available as an add-on at $100 per hour.
Tokentax is another cryptocurrency tax software and accounting platform with a built-in crypto tax calculator. Similar to other platforms featured above, Tokentax integrates with major crypto exchanges and allows you to manually import your trade history from other exchanges. Once your transaction data has been imported, the platform will calculate your tax obligation and generate your tax reports, including the IRS Form 8949, an audit trail report, a crypto mining and income tax report, and an international gain and loss report. Tokentax has also partnered with Turbotax.
In order to use Tokentaxs crypto tax calculator, however, you will need to pay for one of the three plans which cost $65, $199, and $799. The basic plan only allows up to 500 transactions from Coinbase, Coinbase Pro and Binance. Level 2 supports every exchange and allows you to import up to 5,000 transactions. All three levels have Turbotax integration.
The list above is not exhaustive as there are many more companies with a crypto tax calculator. News.bitcoin.com has previously provided a list of 10 useful tax tools to help crypto owners with tax filing. Regardless of which tax software you use, the IRS has recently provided some tips which cryptocurrency owners should know before filing their tax returns.
Do you have a favorite crypto tax calculator? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation, endorsement, or sponsorship of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Images courtesy of Shutterstock.
Did you know you can buy and sell BCH privately using our noncustodial, peer-to-peer Local Bitcoin Cash trading platform? The local.Bitcoin.com marketplace has thousands of participants from all around the world trading BCH right now. And if you need a bitcoin wallet to securely store your coins, you can download one from us here.
A student of Austrian Economics, Kevin found Bitcoin in 2011 and has been an evangelist ever since. His interests lie in Bitcoin security, open-source systems, network effects and the intersection between economics and cryptography.
- Bitcoins Huge Surge This Week Could Be The Tip Of The Iceberg As Investors Recall 2017 Gold Rush - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- The Price Of Gold And The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- Billionaire Optimistic on Bitcoin as a Flight to Safety - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoins Hedging Performance in the Wake of the Coronavirus Outbreak - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flips Bullish But Heres Why BTC Price May Still Hit $3.9K - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Showing Signs of Weakness But 100 SMA Can Trigger New Rally - newsBTC - April 5th, 2020
- Xapo moves $633 million Bitcoin for less than a pint of milk - Decrypt - April 5th, 2020
- Tidal Wave of Lawsuits Accuse Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Companies of Selling Unregistered Securities - The Daily Hodl - April 5th, 2020
- Here is why Bitcoin price is likely to be bullish - Cryptopolitan - April 5th, 2020
- Indians Own Bitcoin and Crypto Because Banks Are Incompetent: Survey - Coingape - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Is Doing Just Fine Compared to S&P 500 During COVID-19 Crisis. This Chart Shows Why - U.Today - April 5th, 2020
- Just One Major Cryptocurrency Is Outperforming Bitcoin Right Now And Its Climbing Fast - Forbes - April 3rd, 2020
- Ether-Bitcoin Price Volatility Spread Hits 4-Month Low - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin on the brink of major bullish breakout - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- $8.5K Then $3K This Traders Bitcoin Price Call Is Playing Out - Cointelegraph - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Fires 50% of Staff Ahead of BCH Halving - Bitcoinist - April 3rd, 2020
- Pressure Test That Signaled Bitcoin (BTC) Bull Run Flashing As Ethereum and XRP Hit Crucial Lines of Resistance - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Targets $7,600 with Chance to Hit $8,900 Later - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- How COVID-19 Is Changing Narratives From Bitcoin to DeFi - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Status Is Not Dead as Correlation to Gold Reaches New Highs: Report - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- Darknet and Bitcoin: Ominous trends affected by COVID-19? - Cryptopolitan - April 3rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies advance as Bitcoin was rejected at the $7.200 level - FXStreet - April 3rd, 2020
- CoinShares Strategist Meltem Demirors Issues Warning About Digital Dollar Its Everything Bitcoin Is Not - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs More Than 15% As Investors Flock To Safety - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Briefly Tops $7K as Traders Say Worst of 2020 Selloff May Have Passed - CoinDesk - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90M - Cointelegraph - April 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Traders See Bitcoin (But Not Ethereum) Surging To All-Time Highs In 2020Heres Why - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Closes Q1 With Historic Darth Maul Candle: Heres What it Means - newsBTC - April 2nd, 2020
- Could Coronavirus Kill the Bitcoin Mining Industry? - Finance Magnates - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Surges 9% And Will Set Up A Strong Rally IF We Can Close Above This Pattern - Coingape - April 2nd, 2020
- Revolut brings Bitcoin to all of its 7 million users - Decrypt - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Stuck In Bearish Trend As The New Month Begins - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes Tumble, Traders Fret Correlation and Next Month's Halving - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- A Bitcoin Bastion In The Wild West - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Bros Are Directing Their Powerful Computers Toward Coronavirus COVID-19 Research - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Massive $633 Million Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Triggers Crypto Whale Alert - The Daily Hodl - April 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies price prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum & Litecoin - American Wrap - 01 April - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Can Bitcoin Survive the Climate Change Revolution? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Follows Stock Markets Higher; How Long Will They Move in Lockstep? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins on the Move Is BTC Price Inversely Correlated to Mempool Size? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- Here's how much bitcoin beat the Dow and S&P 500 in the first quarter - CNBC - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Holding Crucial Support: Heres What Could Propel it to $7K - newsBTC - April 1st, 2020
- Is Now the Time to Invest in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- This Crisis Is Good For Bitcoin, But Beware of Recession - Luno CEO - Cryptonews - April 1st, 2020
- Top Three Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin bears take control while Ethereum and Ripple still remains in the green - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020