Bitcoin markets have been suffering a certain malaise lately, showing little volatility.
Bitcoin prices have been trading within a relatively tight range lately, experiencing minimal volatility as market observers wait for the next major catalyst to drive the cryptocurrency higher or lower.
The digital asset started moving primarily between $7,200 and $7,800 late last month, narrowing to a smaller range of roughly $7,200 to $7,400 on November 30th, CoinDesk price data shows.
The cryptocurrency has been experiencing this relative calm as it follows a broader, downward trend, during which it has repeatedly notched lower highs, additional CoinDesk figures reveal.
[Ed note: Investing in cryptocoins or tokens is highly speculative and the market is largely unregulated. Anyone considering it should be prepared to lose their entire investment.]
Bitcoin is in a general downward trend with temporary technical bounces from oversold price points, said Joe DiPasquale, CEO of cryptocurrency hedge fund managerBitBull Capital.
The upcoming holiday season may also result in thinning volumes, adding further pressure on the price, he added.
Meanwhile, investors have adopted a wait and watch approach to see if any market catalysts help conclusively drive the market in a particular direction, concluded DiPasquale.
While bitcoin has managed to stay within a reasonably defined range over the last several days, it has also been displaying some bullish technical signals, giving market observers hope that it may experience a positive breakout soon.
Mati Greenspan, founder of the newsletterQuantum Economics, weighed in on these developments, helping shed some light on the situation.
Over the last week, technical indicators have shown signs that a reversal may be in the cards soon, he stated.
At the moment, sentiment and volumes are at the lows. A strong push past the $8,000 [level] could very easily open the way back to the recent highs of $14,000, said Greenspan.
At the same time, Greenspan emphasized the limited nature of relying on technical analysis, noting that past performance is not always an indication of future results.
Adam Vettese, an investment analyst for eToro, also weighed in, stating that the technical picture is encouraging but not conclusive.
The price action still has a little bit further to go to reverse the long-standing downtrend, he added, so I would want to see a bit of a stronger reversal first.
Crypto investors have been particularly bullish or bearish, according to sentiment figures provided by cryptocurrency analytics platformTheTIE.io.
From a short-term point of view Bitcoin sentiment is very flat, Joshua Frank, cofounder of TheTIE.io, said yesterday.
Tweet volumes today are below average and daily Bitcoin sentiment is sitting right around 54% (neutral), he added.
The chart below depicts the relationship between price, daily sentiment and tweet volume:
Bitcoin prices, sentiment data and tweet volume.
There is nothing to suggest a strong upwards movement is coming from a purely sentiment point of view, said Frank.
Waiting For Whats Next
Considering the widespread malaise affecting the bitcoin markets, Marouane Garcon, managing director of crypto-to-crypto derivatives platformAmulet, summed up the mindset of many traders, investors and analysts.
I think that were all waiting for whats next, he stated.
I think the market needs more utility, added Garcon.
He mentioned decentralized finance, describing it as an exciting sector thats experiencing great growth and it has a great use case.
There needs to be a reason or several reasons for people to get excited about crypto again, said Garcon.
Disclosure: I own some bitcoin, bitcoin cash, litecoin, ether and EOS.
Read the original post:
Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Biggest New-Year Rally Since 2012 - Wall Street Journal - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Heres How to Prepare for Bitcoins Annual Birthday Bank Run - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD directionless ahead of New Year Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is the Only Asset Class in the World That Is Not Rallying: Peter Schiff - U.Today - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin mining mostly uses energy that otherwise wouldnt be spent - AMBCrypto - December 27th, 2019
- Early Bitcoin Adopter Throws Cold Water On Halving Narrative; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gained 8.9 Million Percent Over the Last Decade - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2019
- As 2019 closes, a look back at what happened to the altcoin boom - TechCrunch - December 26th, 2019
- Corporations Need Bitcoin. They Just Don't Know It Yet - Coindesk - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Go Vertical In 2020, Spencer Bogart Says - Bitcoinist - December 26th, 2019
- 10 Best Performing Cryptos of 2019 Not Named Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - December 24th, 2019
- $7,700 to $7,300: Where Bitcoin Is Heading After Violent Rejection - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019