Bitcoin was born on 3rd January 2009, when her genesis block (block zero) was mined. The first transaction took place on 12th January between "Satoshi" and Hal Finney. Bitcoin's first "value" was set as 1309.03 bitcoins for $1. That's right, it was a fraction of a paisa! And now as she prepares to become a teenager, Bitcoin is valued at over $44,000 and has even become legal tender in one country! So what do I hate, love, and fear about Bitcoin?
In my personal opinion, Bitcoin is lousy as a medium of exchange. It is very volatile and suffers from slow transaction speeds. Compare it to UPI payments in India and Bitcoin seems like a cruel joke.
It makes no sense to use Bitcoin for payments in any country. There are so many better alternatives available in the crypto world. You could use dollar-pegged stablecoins. You could use hush/ privacy coins like Monero or you could use regular old coins like Litecoin. All of these are faster, cheaper, and less volatile.
The second thing I hate is the concept of HODLing holding on for dear life. There are so many memes about this that many people think it's actually a good investment strategy! The concept is that if you buy a little bit of Bitcoin and hold on to it forever, then you will become super-rich. I wish life were that easy.
This Internet meme shows what HODL really looks like
The third thing I hate is the concept of "buying the dip". This means that every time that Bitcoin prices dip, you buy more Bitcoin. This is an extension of HODLing. It means that you believe that Bitcoin prices will keep rising forever. So every time prices dip, you buy more.
'Buying the dip' is now being turned into memes
The fourth thing I hate is Bitcoin maximalists. They believe that Bitcoin is the only viable digital asset and all other cryptos are sh*tcoins. They are oblivious to the massive innovation being done by Ethereum, Cardano, Solana, Polkadot, Theta, Filecoin, and so many other awesome crypto projects.
In my personal opinion, Bitcoin is great as a store of value.
A store of value is an asset whose value either remains the same or increases over time. Some of the most popular stores of value are precious metals, real estate, treasury bills, and even art.
If Bitcoin becomes globally accepted as a store of value, then in my personal opinion, its total market cap would equal that of gold.
Depending upon your source of information, the market cap of all the gold in the world is between 8 to 10 trillion dollars. So the long-term marketcap of Bitcoin could be between $8 to 10 trillion.
Considering a maximum supply of 21 million bitcoins, I think a fair long-term price would be somewhere between $380,000 and $476,000. I expect to see this price by 2030 AD.
This is subject to two critical caveats the blockchain technology is not "broken" and no meteor crashes into our lovely planet 🙂
Bitcoin is totally dependent upon technology. If a major flaw is found and exploited, then Bitcoin will immediately lose its value and would crash to zero.
While blockchain is a robust technology, it has been hacked in the past on 15 August 2010 when a transaction created 184,467,440,737.09551616 Bitcoins.
That's more than 184 billion! Yes, you read that right. We all know that the total number of bitcoins that can ever exist is 21 million. But here we suddenly had hundreds of billions of bitcoins!
The problem was solved within a few hours. This "bad" transaction does not exist on the blockchain anymore. Neither do the billions of bitcoins created by the hackers. But 0.5 bitcoins that were consumed by the transaction still exist and are indelible proof of bitcoin's hack!
Can another successful hack take place? Of course, it can. And that's what I fear the most.
Rohas Nagpal is the author of the Future Money Playbook and Chief Blockchain Architect at the Wrapped Asset Project. He is also an amateur boxer and a retired hacker. You can follow him on LinkedIn.
Cryptocurrency is an unregulated digital currency, not a legal tender and subject to market risks. The information provided in the article is not intended to be and does not constitute financial advice, trading advice or any other advice or recommendation of any sort offered or endorsed by NDTV. NDTV shall not be responsible for any loss arising from any investment based on any perceived recommendation, forecast or any other information contained in the article.
Go here to read the rest:
Bitcoin: What I Hate, Love, and Fear About the Cryptocurrency - Gadgets 360
- Why Does Bitcoin's Price Rise and Fall? - TheStreet - January 22nd, 2022
- Bitcoin Against The World Order - Bitcoin Magazine - January 22nd, 2022
- Experts React to the Feds Digital Currency Report and Falling Prices for Bitcoin and Ethereum. Heres What Investors Should Know - NextAdvisor - January 22nd, 2022
- Crypto.com says hackers stole more than $30 million in bitcoin and ethereum - CBS News - January 22nd, 2022
- State Coordination Will Continue To Regulate Use Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - January 22nd, 2022
- Robinhood Starts To Allow Bitcoin Withdrawals - Bitcoin Magazine - January 22nd, 2022
- Marathon Digital: Buy The Dip Before Bitcoin Fear Turns Into Greed - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2022
- Google Cards To Store Bitcoin And Crypto: Report - Bitcoin Magazine - January 22nd, 2022
- These Are the Crypto Economy's 10 Most Expensive Assets per Unit in 2022 Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 22nd, 2022
- 'Black Swan' author says bitcoin is a worthless, speculative bubble - Markets Insider - January 22nd, 2022
- Achieving Network Privacy In Bitcoin: VPNs And Tor Help, But Mixnets Are Needed - Bitcoin Magazine - January 22nd, 2022
- Why bitcoin just crashed - and crypto index is down 30pc this year - New Zealand Herald - January 22nd, 2022
- How to Cash Out Bitcoin: Complete Guide - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) live coin price, charts, markets & liquidity - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin (Cryptocurrency) TradingView - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Up Official Website - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Era | The Official Bitcoin Era App - January 14th, 2022
- Arkansas is offering remote tech workers $10,000 in bitcoin to move to there - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Kazakhstan bitcoin miner: US will make up 60% of the worlds computing power in 2 years - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Introduces A Game-Changing Crypto Bill As The Price Of Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, Solana, Cardano, XRP Sinks - Forbes - January 14th, 2022
- The US Government and Bitcoin Auctions: Here's What Investors Need to Know - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Is A Better Store Of Value Than Real Estate - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin could rise to $75,000 this year to top record high, bank CEO predicts - CNBC - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin Miners Bit Digital, Canaan, and SOS Are Flying High This Week - The Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Congress Announces Hearing On Bitcoins Energy Use - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- US Billionaire Bill Miller Bets 50% of His Wealth in Bitcoin - TheStreet - January 14th, 2022
- Job Postings With Terms Like 'Bitcoin' and 'Cryptocurrency' Grew Almost 400% on LinkedIn Last Year - Money - January 14th, 2022
- University accepts Bitcoin donations to fund crypto-related activities - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- The rich get richer: Rethinking Bitcoins power as an inflation hedge - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2022
- Dont mention K country: Bitcoin Magazine's YouTube restored after ban - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- Bitcoin cycle is far from over and miners are in it for the long haul: Fidelity report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2022
- 2 Cryptocurrencies That Have Trounced Bitcoin and Shiba Inu During the Crypto Crash - Motley Fool - January 14th, 2022
- Discussing The Importance Of Bitcoin's Open-Source Ethos - Bitcoin Magazine - January 14th, 2022
- Visa: One in Four Businesses Surveyed Plan to Accept Cryptocurrency Payments This Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - January 14th, 2022
- Mai Capital Predicts Tough Year for Crypto Expects Bitcoin and Ethereum to Do Well Once Regulations Come Into Focus Regulation Bitcoin News -... - January 14th, 2022
- What is Bitcoin? | How Do Bitcoin and Crypto Work? | Get ... - December 22nd, 2021
- The U.S. government has a massive, secret stockpile of bitcoin Here's what happens to it - CNBC - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin has its own 1% who control outsized share of wealth - CBS News - December 22nd, 2021
- Missed out on hot crypto stocks in 2021? It paid just to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum, data shows - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- TA: Bitcoin Gains Momentum, Why Rally Isn't Over Yet - NewsBTC - December 22nd, 2021
- How Bitcoins Sound Incentives Drive A Sound World - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Daily Crunch: Bitcoin is religion; web3 is greed - TechCrunch - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Giveaway: Actress Gwyneth Paltrow Gives Away $500K in BTC for the Holidays Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoins Proof Of Work Is Well Worth Its Fees - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Will Revealing Satoshi Nakamoto's Identity Help Bitcoin in 2022? - Analytics Insight - December 22nd, 2021
- Donald Trump Says Crypto Is 'Very Dangerous' Warns of 'Explosion Like We've Never Seen' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 22nd, 2021
- Happy bearday, Bitcoin: Its been 3 years since BTC bottomed at $3.1K - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Price Chart Risks Lapsing Into Bearish Pattern - Bloomberg - December 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin could hit $100K, gold $2K in 2022 thanks to 'deflationary forces' Bloomberg analyst - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Jack Dorseys ditched Twitter for bitcoin. Has the social media bubble burst? - The Guardian - December 9th, 2021
- Can Bitcoin's hard cap of 21 million be changed? - Cointelegraph - December 9th, 2021
- Countries Are Leaving The USD Standard, They Need A Bitcoin Strategy - Bitcoin Magazine - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum Might Dethrone Bitcoin as Best Crypto Store of Value, Study Argues Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 9th, 2021
- Ethereum it outperforming bitcoin because its a tech bet: Novogratz - Markets Insider - December 9th, 2021
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021