Photo Illustration by Omar Marques
Most people know little about Bitcoin. Its a brand, like the internet was in the late 1990s that created great excitement in a small fanatical audience but confusion, indifference and often hostility in the mainstream and establishment.
I dont need email, people said, while many would look blank and not know what it was. It wasnt until the social media floodgates opened that the mainstream piled in. Now all the marvelous benefits and distractions of being connected are taken as read.
The benefits of crypto are not well understood or even considered beyond the possibility of a life change rising in value for coins that an investor might ride to riches. This may well be the future for Bitcoin so to start a list of reasons why you should hold some Bitcoin must start with:
1)A lottery ticket to a ride that some see having a 1,000% upside.
It could happen. There are only going to be 21 million bitcoins (BTC), many of which like Roman gold coins are already lost forever. If bitcoin was to be worth just half of the gold in the world it would be about $200,000 a coin. If all the BTC was worth $1 trillion then the price would be north of $50,000.
With BTC currently at $7,400 and the ability for people to buy tiny amounts, there is a fun dividend in actually holding.
2)Blockchain is the next big thing.
If you want to catch that wave when it lands, you need to know a bit about it. Buying crazes on the basis of zero knowledge is the short cut to the poorhouse. Owning bitcoin and going through all the stages to get crypto will position you perfectly for the day crypto IPO hits. That day will come and it will be big. Owning bitcoin will position you to take advantage of that boom.
3)Portfolio diversification is crucial.
Everyone should have a little gold, for example, to buffer the roller coaster of other financial instruments. Bitcoin and gold are very similar in as much as they are havens. Physical bitcoin however is easier to store, faster to sell and has much greater upside if you are laying in assets for what you see as being extremely volatile times in the future. If you are not in the bullets and corn beef legion, the gold, silver and bitcoin are must haves, with bitcoin the king if you feel you might have to jump on a plane to safety. Its easy to travel with bitcoin; with gold bars and sacks of silver, not so much.
4)Bitcoin is currently a great hedge especially for equities.
This is because for now at least, bad news for equities is good news for bitcoin. That bad news is currently the China trade war. The trade war is bad for equities and there is a clear link to moves in BTC and emergent good/bad news on the trade negotiations. Bitcoin sends the signal then the news appears, which one would imagine is because of the insider news flow in crypto-hungry China.
5)Bitcoin is useful money.
You can buy things with bitcoin, and with bitcoin debit cards you can use it to buy things anywhere that takes Visa/Mastercard. While this can prove expensive, a bitcoin debit card is another off ramp for holders wishing to spend their profits. Bitcoin is also a useful currency for B2B and while currently niche, bitcoin use for international payments is quickly expanding when products need to be bought quickly and the vendor needs to establish transfer of funds fast to cut out delays. For large sums bitcoin beats credit cards hands down as a bitcoin transaction cant be reversed unlike a credit card payment that is always vulnerable to charge backs. Transfers can take days to materialize, so for anything thats a rush job bitcoin is the best possible way to pay if the vendor takes BTC.
Every investor should buy some bitcoin, even if its just $1. It is always best to be too early to a financial phenomenon than too late and it turns out the bitcoin story is still in its early chapters.
The Bitcoin story is still unfolding.
If you are an investor, it was obvious you need to hold equities, bonds, gold and cash. That is still true but these days, you need to hold a little crypto, because it is a new positive sum financial instrument. If you dont have Bitcoin, the world wont end, but you will be less diversified and more at risk than an investor that does hold some. Bitcoin will continue to be the kingpin of the emergent blockchain industry and everybody needs a little bit of exposure to that in the same way as they needed a little Amazon in 2002.
Forbes CryptoAsset & Blockchain Advisor cuts through the hype and identifies real investor opportunities in the emerging world of blockchain and crypto assets. Click to learn more.
Clem Chambers is the CEO of private investors websiteADVFN.com and author of 101 Ways to Pick Stock Market Winners and Trading Cryptocurrencies: A Beginners Guide.
In 2018, Chambers won Journalist of the Year in the Business Market Commentary category in the State Street UK Institutional Press Awards.
The rest is here:
Bitcoin: Why You Need It - Forbes
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Heres How to Prepare for Bitcoins Annual Birthday Bank Run - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD directionless ahead of New Year Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is the Only Asset Class in the World That Is Not Rallying: Peter Schiff - U.Today - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin mining mostly uses energy that otherwise wouldnt be spent - AMBCrypto - December 27th, 2019
- Early Bitcoin Adopter Throws Cold Water On Halving Narrative; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gained 8.9 Million Percent Over the Last Decade - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2019
- As 2019 closes, a look back at what happened to the altcoin boom - TechCrunch - December 26th, 2019
- Corporations Need Bitcoin. They Just Don't Know It Yet - Coindesk - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Go Vertical In 2020, Spencer Bogart Says - Bitcoinist - December 26th, 2019
- 10 Best Performing Cryptos of 2019 Not Named Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - December 24th, 2019
- $7,700 to $7,300: Where Bitcoin Is Heading After Violent Rejection - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Sell-off in marijuana stocks reminds Tom Lee of bitcoin and the dotcom bubble - CNBC - December 24th, 2019
- Ripple Bears Advance Warning To Bitcoin And Ethereum Bulls - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin's rally gets traction, $8,000 within reach? - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Weekly Forecast: Is This Right Time To Buy BTC? - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Art Haus Ethereum Meets Bitcoin Financialization - CoinDesk - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gathering Momentum to Reach $8,000 - Crypto Briefing - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be Better Investment Than Top Stocks in 2020s: Trader - U.Today - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Developer Throws Light on BTC's Upcoming Future - Bitcoinist - December 22nd, 2019
- Hanukkah Reflections on My Year of Toying With Bitcoin - Coindesk - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin's Path From Insurgents Talisman to Tool of Big Tech - WIRED - December 22nd, 2019
- Ethereum transaction volume tops Bitcoin but does that matter? - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2019
- The Bitcoin multi-year trendline will break, says renowned analyst - CryptoSlate - December 22nd, 2019
- Real Bitcoin Double Spends Are Hard, Looking Into Alleged Issue - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin 's recovery attempt fails to free the price from the downside trend - FXStreet - December 22nd, 2019
- How to make a Bitcoin conversion - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Hit Its All-Time High in 2017. Here Comes New Competition. - Barron's - December 21st, 2019
- Did Bitcoin Bottom? The Positive Case And The Negative Case. - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Worth $3 Billion Expected to be Mined in 2020 - Bitcoinist - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash Accepted in Burger King as Crypto Adoption Spreads Wider - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 22: The New Wealthy Elite - Bitcoin News - December 21st, 2019
- Heres What Burst Bitcoins $14,000 Yearly Top and May Lead it Even Lower - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin may revisit $7,400-$7,600 zone in the next 24 hours - AMBCrypto - December 21st, 2019
- MARKETS DAILY: Bullish Bitcoin Dreams and a 2019 to Remember - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Jumps 10%, But Bull Reversal Still $700 Away - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Reaches Fair Market Valuation, While Costs of Production Rise - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market On The Edge: BCH, Litecoin, EOS, XLM Analysis - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD at crossroads, is it $8,000 or $6,000 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 20th, 2019