Despite common fluctuations in price, Bitcoins performance throughout 2019 was somewhat unremarkable.
Weve taken a closer look at the cryptocurrencys price movements, focusing specifically on its performance during Q4 2019.
But, first, lets briefly recapBitcoinsperformanceduring the first nine months of the year.
Bitcoin BTC was relatively stable from January to March 2019.
It started the year off at $3,717 and a brief 9-percent increase in its trading price saw it surpass the $4,000 barrier during the first week of January.
The upward trend was short-lived, though. Within a month, itsprice fell to a low of $3,358 on February 7.
From then on, Bitcoin demonstrated some relative stability but experienced a notable drop at the end of February where its trading value dropped 8 percent from $4,106 its highest price during Q1 to $3,784 over a 24-hour period.
By March, Bitcoinhad almost equaled its quarter high and closed trading at $4,092, representing a modest 10-percent growth for the quarter.
The second quarter of 2019 proved to be much more fruitful for investors and hodlers.
Bitcoin opened April at $4,125 marking the start of a three-month-long rally.
Over Q2, Bitcoin set numerous records for reaching prices that hadnt been seen over the previous 12 months.
At the height of summer, in July, Bitcoin opened above the $10,000 mark, hitting $10,442.80 on the first day of the month. It then went on to surpass $11,000 within the first two weeks of the quarter.
Thequarters highestvaluewas hit in early August, when thedigital currencysurpassed $11,000, trading at $11,815.04 on August 7.
However, a week later, on August 14,Bitcoins trading price decreasedby 14 percent, stabilizing at $10,137.88.
The month of August ended withBitcointrading well below $10,000, and costing just $9,462.50 on August 31.
Bitcoin started trading at $9,603.10 on September 1, increasing by 7 percent and hitting $10,363.03 the following day.
Thedigital currencyhovered around the $10,000 mark for most of the month, until it dropped to $9931.40 on September 21 and continued to plummet over the next three days, leaving it sitting at $8,549.93 on September 24. Itslowestvaluefor Q3 was reached on September 29 when it was trading $7,994.55.
October saw Bitcoin trade at prices unseen since the previous month of June.
It was hovering around $8,343.93 before falling by 5 percent to $7879.23 on October 6. It then recovered slightly, reaching $8195.13 the following day.
The biggest drop happened October 24, when the cryptocurrency plummeted to $7421.20.
Three days later, on October 27, Bitcoin would gain momentum to reach both the months and quarters high at $9595.34.
By October 31, the cryptocurrency was trading at $9160.55.
Bitcoin remained relatively stable during the first few days of November 2019, maintaining around and above the $9,100 mark.
It jumped to $9,396.19 on November 4 before dramatically dropping to $8,771.30 on November 9.
Then things went from bad to worse. On November 10, Bitcoin was trading for $9,009.69 a coin but it began to plunge in the following days and weeks, hitting $7,026.83 on November 24.
The cryptocurrency remained well below the $8,000 mark for the rest of the month, finishing on $7,528.47 on November 30.
On December 1, Bitcoin was sitting at $7,265.69 and it remained above the $7,000 mark during the first fortnight of the month.
The cryptocurrency experienced somewhat of a rally mid-month, hitting $6,861.92 on December 16 and going on to reach $7,252.71 on December 18.
Bitcoin peaked on December 23, trading at $7,580.20 a coin.
It then finished the month on December 31 hovering at just over $7,100.
Bitcoins price was definitely higher during Q4 2019 than in Q3 the previous year.
In October 2018, Bitcoin was trading for way below $7,000, sitting roughly around the $6,500 mark.
The cryptocurrencys performance followed the same line throughout the following month. It peaked momentarily during the first week of November going slightly above $6,500 before plummeting by more than $1,000 and sitting just above $5,500 on November 18.
Bitcoin continued to drop finishing the month well below $4,000.
At the beginning of December 2018, Bitcoin was hovering close to $4,200 and remained below the $4,000 throughout the rest of the month.
In early October, Russia reportedly enacted a new digital rights act that defines smart contracts and cryptocurrency tokens. Although thecountry is yet to fully embrace cryptocurrency, this was largely perceived as a step toward potentially regulating the space.
Several days later, Bitcoin made headlines by association after German policeexecuted a hi-tech raid on adataprocessing centre installed in an ex-Nato bunker. The bunker allegedly hosted dark web sites to deal drugs and child abuse imagery.
Ohio, the first US state to accept Bitcoinfor taxes, suspended its cryptocurrency payment system meaning businesses can no longer pay in digital assets.
Europol said Bitcoinwas still very much the dark webs favorite cryptocurrency but noted that those looking to cover their tracks were slowly learning to useprivacy-focusedalternatives.
Authorities chargeda 23-year-oldSouth Koreanman of running the worlds largest child sexual exploitation market, which reportedlyprocessed7,300Bitcointransactions worth over $730,000.
Cumulative Bitcointransaction fees surpassed the $1 billion milestone in mid-October.
Bitcoin-hungry hackers gave the city of Johannesburg three days to pay more than $30,000 worth of the cryptocurrency.
Finally, areport by marketing analysis firm SEMRush claimedBitcoin was the third most popular method for online payments in Italy, beatingpayment processor PayPal and Italian prepaid cash card provider PostePay.
Its never easy to predict Bitcoins price movements, but the cryptocurrency has been moving upwards so far this year.
Having landed January above the $7,100 mark, Bitcoin has remained relatively stable, maintaining itself mostly above $7,000 but well below $8,500.
While these values are not necessarily encouraging especially if we look back to January 2018, when one coin was priced at well over$13,343.71 theyre a significant improvement when compared to Bitcoins lowly price of $3,000-$4,000 this time last year.
Published January 14, 2020 11:50 UTC
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019
- Heres How to Prepare for Bitcoins Annual Birthday Bank Run - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD directionless ahead of New Year Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is the Only Asset Class in the World That Is Not Rallying: Peter Schiff - U.Today - December 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin mining mostly uses energy that otherwise wouldnt be spent - AMBCrypto - December 27th, 2019
- Early Bitcoin Adopter Throws Cold Water On Halving Narrative; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gained 8.9 Million Percent Over the Last Decade - Bitcoin News - December 26th, 2019
- As 2019 closes, a look back at what happened to the altcoin boom - TechCrunch - December 26th, 2019
- Corporations Need Bitcoin. They Just Don't Know It Yet - Coindesk - December 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Go Vertical In 2020, Spencer Bogart Says - Bitcoinist - December 26th, 2019
- 10 Best Performing Cryptos of 2019 Not Named Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - December 24th, 2019
- $7,700 to $7,300: Where Bitcoin Is Heading After Violent Rejection - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Sell-off in marijuana stocks reminds Tom Lee of bitcoin and the dotcom bubble - CNBC - December 24th, 2019
- Ripple Bears Advance Warning To Bitcoin And Ethereum Bulls - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin's rally gets traction, $8,000 within reach? - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Weekly Forecast: Is This Right Time To Buy BTC? - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Art Haus Ethereum Meets Bitcoin Financialization - CoinDesk - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gathering Momentum to Reach $8,000 - Crypto Briefing - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be Better Investment Than Top Stocks in 2020s: Trader - U.Today - December 24th, 2019
- Bitcoin Developer Throws Light on BTC's Upcoming Future - Bitcoinist - December 22nd, 2019
- Hanukkah Reflections on My Year of Toying With Bitcoin - Coindesk - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin's Path From Insurgents Talisman to Tool of Big Tech - WIRED - December 22nd, 2019
- Ethereum transaction volume tops Bitcoin but does that matter? - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2019
- The Bitcoin multi-year trendline will break, says renowned analyst - CryptoSlate - December 22nd, 2019
- Real Bitcoin Double Spends Are Hard, Looking Into Alleged Issue - Cointelegraph - December 22nd, 2019
- Bitcoin 's recovery attempt fails to free the price from the downside trend - FXStreet - December 22nd, 2019
- How to make a Bitcoin conversion - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Hit Its All-Time High in 2017. Here Comes New Competition. - Barron's - December 21st, 2019
- Did Bitcoin Bottom? The Positive Case And The Negative Case. - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Worth $3 Billion Expected to be Mined in 2020 - Bitcoinist - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash Accepted in Burger King as Crypto Adoption Spreads Wider - U.Today - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 22: The New Wealthy Elite - Bitcoin News - December 21st, 2019
- Heres What Burst Bitcoins $14,000 Yearly Top and May Lead it Even Lower - newsBTC - December 21st, 2019
- Bitcoin may revisit $7,400-$7,600 zone in the next 24 hours - AMBCrypto - December 21st, 2019
- MARKETS DAILY: Bullish Bitcoin Dreams and a 2019 to Remember - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Jumps 10%, But Bull Reversal Still $700 Away - Coindesk - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Reaches Fair Market Valuation, While Costs of Production Rise - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market On The Edge: BCH, Litecoin, EOS, XLM Analysis - newsBTC - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD at crossroads, is it $8,000 or $6,000 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 20th, 2019
- Bitcoin vs . Ethereum: Which Cryptocurrency Should You Invest In? - Robb Report - December 20th, 2019