Despite common fluctuations in price, Bitcoins performance throughout 2019 was somewhat unremarkable.
Weve taken a closer look at the cryptocurrencys price movements, focusing specifically on its performance during Q4 2019.
But, first, lets briefly recapBitcoinsperformanceduring the first nine months of the year.
Bitcoin BTC was relatively stable from January to March 2019.
It started the year off at $3,717 and a brief 9-percent increase in its trading price saw it surpass the $4,000 barrier during the first week of January.
The upward trend was short-lived, though. Within a month, itsprice fell to a low of $3,358 on February 7.
From then on, Bitcoin demonstrated some relative stability but experienced a notable drop at the end of February where its trading value dropped 8 percent from $4,106 its highest price during Q1 to $3,784 over a 24-hour period.
By March, Bitcoinhad almost equaled its quarter high and closed trading at $4,092, representing a modest 10-percent growth for the quarter.
The second quarter of 2019 proved to be much more fruitful for investors and hodlers.
Bitcoin opened April at $4,125 marking the start of a three-month-long rally.
Over Q2, Bitcoin set numerous records for reaching prices that hadnt been seen over the previous 12 months.
At the height of summer, in July, Bitcoin opened above the $10,000 mark, hitting $10,442.80 on the first day of the month. It then went on to surpass $11,000 within the first two weeks of the quarter.
Thequarters highestvaluewas hit in early August, when thedigital currencysurpassed $11,000, trading at $11,815.04 on August 7.
However, a week later, on August 14,Bitcoins trading price decreasedby 14 percent, stabilizing at $10,137.88.
The month of August ended withBitcointrading well below $10,000, and costing just $9,462.50 on August 31.
Bitcoin started trading at $9,603.10 on September 1, increasing by 7 percent and hitting $10,363.03 the following day.
Thedigital currencyhovered around the $10,000 mark for most of the month, until it dropped to $9931.40 on September 21 and continued to plummet over the next three days, leaving it sitting at $8,549.93 on September 24. Itslowestvaluefor Q3 was reached on September 29 when it was trading $7,994.55.
October saw Bitcoin trade at prices unseen since the previous month of June.
It was hovering around $8,343.93 before falling by 5 percent to $7879.23 on October 6. It then recovered slightly, reaching $8195.13 the following day.
The biggest drop happened October 24, when the cryptocurrency plummeted to $7421.20.
Three days later, on October 27, Bitcoin would gain momentum to reach both the months and quarters high at $9595.34.
By October 31, the cryptocurrency was trading at $9160.55.
Bitcoin remained relatively stable during the first few days of November 2019, maintaining around and above the $9,100 mark.
It jumped to $9,396.19 on November 4 before dramatically dropping to $8,771.30 on November 9.
Then things went from bad to worse. On November 10, Bitcoin was trading for $9,009.69 a coin but it began to plunge in the following days and weeks, hitting $7,026.83 on November 24.
The cryptocurrency remained well below the $8,000 mark for the rest of the month, finishing on $7,528.47 on November 30.
On December 1, Bitcoin was sitting at $7,265.69 and it remained above the $7,000 mark during the first fortnight of the month.
The cryptocurrency experienced somewhat of a rally mid-month, hitting $6,861.92 on December 16 and going on to reach $7,252.71 on December 18.
Bitcoin peaked on December 23, trading at $7,580.20 a coin.
It then finished the month on December 31 hovering at just over $7,100.
Bitcoins price was definitely higher during Q4 2019 than in Q3 the previous year.
In October 2018, Bitcoin was trading for way below $7,000, sitting roughly around the $6,500 mark.
The cryptocurrencys performance followed the same line throughout the following month. It peaked momentarily during the first week of November going slightly above $6,500 before plummeting by more than $1,000 and sitting just above $5,500 on November 18.
Bitcoin continued to drop finishing the month well below $4,000.
At the beginning of December 2018, Bitcoin was hovering close to $4,200 and remained below the $4,000 throughout the rest of the month.
In early October, Russia reportedly enacted a new digital rights act that defines smart contracts and cryptocurrency tokens. Although thecountry is yet to fully embrace cryptocurrency, this was largely perceived as a step toward potentially regulating the space.
Several days later, Bitcoin made headlines by association after German policeexecuted a hi-tech raid on adataprocessing centre installed in an ex-Nato bunker. The bunker allegedly hosted dark web sites to deal drugs and child abuse imagery.
Ohio, the first US state to accept Bitcoinfor taxes, suspended its cryptocurrency payment system meaning businesses can no longer pay in digital assets.
Europol said Bitcoinwas still very much the dark webs favorite cryptocurrency but noted that those looking to cover their tracks were slowly learning to useprivacy-focusedalternatives.
Authorities chargeda 23-year-oldSouth Koreanman of running the worlds largest child sexual exploitation market, which reportedlyprocessed7,300Bitcointransactions worth over $730,000.
Cumulative Bitcointransaction fees surpassed the $1 billion milestone in mid-October.
Bitcoin-hungry hackers gave the city of Johannesburg three days to pay more than $30,000 worth of the cryptocurrency.
Finally, areport by marketing analysis firm SEMRush claimedBitcoin was the third most popular method for online payments in Italy, beatingpayment processor PayPal and Italian prepaid cash card provider PostePay.
Its never easy to predict Bitcoins price movements, but the cryptocurrency has been moving upwards so far this year.
Having landed January above the $7,100 mark, Bitcoin has remained relatively stable, maintaining itself mostly above $7,000 but well below $8,500.
While these values are not necessarily encouraging especially if we look back to January 2018, when one coin was priced at well over$13,343.71 theyre a significant improvement when compared to Bitcoins lowly price of $3,000-$4,000 this time last year.
Published January 14, 2020 11:50 UTC
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020
- Here's Why Grayscale Bitcoin Trust Is Rising Today - Motley Fool - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Bulls Say It's Time for 'Plan B' as Fed Ramps Up Repo Operations - U.Today - March 20th, 2020
- All You Need to Know About Bitcoin Wallets in... - Coinspeaker - March 20th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoins 15% Rally Could Fail Near The Key $6,500 Barrier - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Gains Expected as Unemployment Claims Soar in the US - Coingape - March 20th, 2020
- Heres What Caused Bitcoins Extreme Price Plunge - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees 9% Gain as Turmoil Hits the Forex Markets - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses half of its value in two-day plunge - CNBC - March 19th, 2020
- Here is the real reason behind Bitcoin price drop - Cryptopolitan - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Not Governments Will Save the World After Crisis, Tim Draper Says - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lost Roughly 50% Of Its Value In A Day - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Briefly Dips to 12-Month Low in Overnight Trading - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Despite Bitcoin Price Dips, Crypto Is a Safe Haven in the Middle East - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- What Bitcoin Price Would Be If Every American Invested $1K - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Tether is Now Printing Millions, and Thats Huge for Bitcoin - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Cyperpunk Myths and Bitcoin in Real Life with Udi Wetheimer - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lacks Momentum And A Break Below $5K Could Be Trend Defining - newsBTC - March 19th, 2020
- Experts Say the Fed's QE Program Will Strengthen Bitcoin One Way or Another - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Narrative Has Flown Out the Window - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Safe Haven Narrative in Question After Biggest Drop in 7 Years - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- 2 Months Ago, Andreas Antonopoulos Explained Why Bitcoin Would Crash - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Is This The Day Bitcoin Had Been Waiting For 11 Years? - CryptoPotato - March 19th, 2020
- Investors Can Hedge Long-Term Risk With New 2-Year Bitcoin Derivatives - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 19th, 2020
- Lost Your Bitcoin? Here Is How You Can Recover It - Bitcoinist - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin & Gold Are Doing the Same Thing in Coronavirus Crisis: Pomp - Cointelegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin is dead, long live Bitcoin - Decrypt - March 19th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Represent First Wave in Deconstruction of Finance - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Correct Gains - Cryptonews - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Live: How to Watch the Next Price Run or Crash in Real-Time - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Indian Government Reveals Inspection of Bitcoin Businesses, Informs Parliament of Results - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Is Now Up Just 9% This Year - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Steadies as Bank of England Suddenly Cuts Rates to 11-Year Low - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Really A Safe-Haven Asset? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- What the Oil Market Says About Bitcoin's 'Safe Haven' Status - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Outbreak Takes Toll on Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Retail Demand May Force the SEC to Approve a Bitcoin ETF - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- The Simpsons Correctly Called President TrumpDid It Just Predict When Bitcoin Will Go Mainstream? - Forbes - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Still Failing As A Flight To Safety Investment - Benzinga - March 11th, 2020
- Lightning-Fast New Bitcoin.com Wallet Proves Popular With Over 10 Million Wallets Created - Bitcoin News - March 11th, 2020
- Proving That Tether Manipulated Bitcoin 2017 Bull Run Wont Be Easy - Cointelegraph - March 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Elliott Wave Theory suggests price could fall further - FXStreet - March 11th, 2020
- Tezos Price Makes Gigantic Steps Eyeing $3.0 As Bitcoin Price Deals With Rejection At $8,000 - Coingape - March 11th, 2020
- Interlay Receives Web3 Foundation Grant for Bridging Bitcoin to Polkadot - Cointelegraph - March 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin's $9,000 Price Stays Steady as Sentiment Stays Positive - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 7th, 2020