The Ethereum blockchain is now processing more than twice the daily transaction volume of the Bitcoin blockchain, riding a massive wave of growth in stablecoins and the DeFi apps that use them.
A new report from crypto research firm Messari on Q3 activity in DeFi and stablecoins has revealed that the current rolling 30-day average for Ethereum is around $7 billion; Bitcoins is under $3 billion.
If current rates hold, Ethereum is on track to see more than $1 trillion in annual transaction volume, a major reversal from 2019, when Bitcoin transaction volume was more than double that of Ethereum.
Though Bitcoins price has climbed over the last three months from the mid-$9,000s to above $13,000, Bitcoin volume has remained mostly steady since October 2019, indicating that attention has shifted toward Ethereums unstoppable decentralized application platform, and away from the more straightforward store of value utility offered by Bitcoin as digital gold.
The Messari report pegs the impressive growth in Ethereums transaction volume on the accelerated use of stablecoins, most commonly used in interactions with DeFi applications. DeFi stands for decentralized finance, a group of blockchain-based applications running primarily on the Ethereum chain. DeFi apps use automatically executed blocks of code known as smart contracts to perform financial operations like issuing loans or generating interest on user deposits.
Many DeFi loans are issued in stablecoins, or crypto tokens pegged to an asset such as the US dollar; doing so makes financial reckoning more compatible with existing calculations on aspects like interest rates or liquidity ratios.
Most stablecoin loans are issued with cryptocurrency holdings put up within DeFi apps as collateral, requiring the value of the underlying crypto assets to remain above a certain threshold to avoid a margin call, in which part of the crypto collateral is sold to pay off a portion of the outstanding loan.
Of all stablecoins, by far the most numerous is Tether, a centralized, at times controversial, dollar-pegged token with more than $16 billion currently in circulation. Its no surprise, then, that Messari research found Tether to be the most-transacted stablecoin in the crypto landscape. Tether, however, isnt just the most traded stablecoinMessari found that over the summer, it grew to surpass even Bitcoin with a rolling 30-day average transaction volume of nearly $3.5 billion.
DAI, a product of DeFi lending service MakerDAO, also had a strong Q3, growing its supply more than 600% from the start of July through September according to the Messari report.
Unlike Tether, which issues new Tether stablecoins in partnership with large-scale customers like crypto exchanges, DAI is generated through MakerDAO users taking loans against their crypto holdings in a decentralized system. DAI is thus more resistant to censorship or control by its issuing entity, but it also requires different incentives to keep the tokens stable at $1, like community-controlled interest rates.
While different stablecoins take different approaches to deliver security and utility to their users, its clear the emerging asset class will play a key role in the ongoing development of the crypto economy. Stablecoins could have the potential to crowd out cash as the best way to transact on a day-to-day basis, provided similar tokens distributed and controlled by national central banks dont eventually make them redundant.
As Ethereum transaction volume takes off, Bitcoins simple design could hold the original cryptocurrency backor it could just as likely follow the DeFi herd, as cross-cross chain transfers that allow access to Bitcoin value in DeFi apps become increasingly common.
See the article here:
Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt
- Bitcoin Price Targets by Analysts for 2021 and Beyond - Barron's - December 3rd, 2020
- Why Ethereum and Bitcoin Are Very Different Investments - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees Record Number of Active Users as Price Almost Hits $20K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin price violently rejected near $20,000 - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Why one analyst says Bitcoin is on the cusp of busting through $20K - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Dont get caught up in the hype as bitcoin hovers around $19,000 - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits All-Time High Above $19,000, Topping 2017 Record - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Over 5000 Bitcoin Worth $97 Million from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack Spring Into Action - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin moves $500K around the globe every second, says Samson Mow - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin hit the $19,800 mark. What the IRS wants to know about your holdings - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Exchange To List HUB Token as the Next Gen Trust-Based Cryptocurrency | Press release - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Mogo Reports 135% Increase in Bitcoin Transaction Volume in November - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs to Record High - The New York Times - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies Above $19,000 After Biggest Rout Since Pandemic - Bloomberg - November 30th, 2020
- Canadian Public Company Dumps Ethereum and Monero for Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin may see major price volatility at the start of December Here's why - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Recap: Bitcoin and Ethereum Trigger Mass Liquidations - FX Empire - November 30th, 2020
- Russia to Recognize Bitcoin as Property With Legal Protection | Regulation - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, Litecoin And Chainlink Suddenly Bounce Back - Forbes - November 30th, 2020
- Fighting Definancialization: Cryptologic Methods Like Bitcoin Could Protect Wealth From the Great Reset | Featured - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Some Investors Predict Bitcoin to Hit $100,000 in a Year - VOA Learning English - November 30th, 2020
- Introducing MoonDeFi, a New Part of Decentralized Finance | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin analysts explain what's next in the aftermath of BTC plunging to $16.2K - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses steam after nearing all-time highs, but trader says it could be on track to $74,000 - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin plunges by nearly $3,000 after closing in on its all-time record - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Says BTC Might See Further Correction but 'Prices Have Not Topped' | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Carnivore Cult Is Both Stupid and Correct - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 28th, 2020
- Ether, XRP and other 'altcoins' rally as bitcoin heads for all-time high - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Mike Novogratz: Everyone Should Put 2% to 3% of Their Net Worth in Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin price just hit $19,000 for the first time in 3 years - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Will 'money printer go brrr' rob Bitcoin of its all-time high? - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Why Is Bitcoin's Price Rising? Here Are a Few Possible Answers - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- OKEx Sees Biggest Bitcoin Outflow in 8 Months After Resuming Withdrawals - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin faces this final resistance zone before $20K all-time high - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- EURST Stablecoin Reinvention of the European Economy | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin hopes of record value of over $20,000 dashed after cryptocurrency falls again - Sky News - November 28th, 2020
- Should you invest in Bitcoin and how to do it - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- Russian Hospitalized After Bitcoin Mining Farm Sets Apartment on Fire - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Researcher Publishes Never Before Seen Emails Between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- OKExs Withdrawal Suspension Isnt Behind Bitcoins Rally: Analysts - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020