Yoni Assia is the CEO and founder of multi-asset trading platform Etoro. The brokerage firm, which enjoys a high profile within the cryptosphere, enables digital assets such as BTC and BCH to be traded alongside stocks, ETFs, and commodities. Juxtaposed between the traditional and crypto investment realms, Etoro has a unique insight into the health of the industry. In an interview with news.Bitcoin.com, Yoni Assia shared his thoughts on what traders can expect in 2020.
Also read: Bitcoins Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives
We launched commission-free stocks trading this year and weve seen a flurry of new and existing trading platforms following suit and axing commission, begins Yoni Assia. This is important to attract new investors; people who are often put off from investing because of the cost. Its also a boon to existing Etoro customers trading cryptocurrencies on the platform. One in 10 of people who came to us to trade crypto in 2017 and 2018 subsequently went on to diversify into stocks trading. This all helps normalize the view of crypto assets. He continues:
On the crypto side, for those who are more experienced traders, we launched eToroX, our regulated crypto exchange earlier this year, providing them with a secure platform to trade crypto and tokenized assets on the blockchain.
Acquisitions were a major trend for crypto exchanges this year, with Circle offloading Poloniex, before itself being acquired by Kraken. Binance took up a stake in derivatives exchange FTX, meanwhile, and Coinbase divested itself of Earn.com. Etoro was not exempted from this M&A flurry either, acquiring Firmo in March. The Danish business provides a platform that enables exchanges to execute smart financial contracts across various assets, including crypto derivatives, and across all major blockchains.
Then, explains Yoni Assia, In November we acquired Delta, the crypto portfolio tracker app, which will help investors make better decisions around their crypto assets by providing tools such as portfolio tracking and pricing data.
In 2019, Etoro surpassed 12 million registered users in over 100 territories, including the U.S., which the social trading platform entered this year on a mandate to make trading, investing and managing money easy for everyone, according to Assia. Here, it finds itself going up against rivals such as millennial investor favorite Robinhood.
When asked about the greatest challenges Etoro encountered this year, Assia cites issues that will be familiar to all exchange operators: the volatility of prices, and recently, questions around the security of assets on exchanges. However, he claims that a lot of people who joined us in 2017 at the peak of cryptos popularity have stayed and this year have diversified into other areas such as stocks, noting that Crypto assets are often a gateway to investing for many people on the Etoro platform. We always say invest in the brands you love, so IPOs such as Uber have helped attract more investors.
Multi-asset exchanges such as Etoro, which offer cryptocurrencies alongside stocks and commodities, are also duty bound to educate, given that many of their users have no previous experience of such instruments. Not only are we providing them with a place to trade, we also ensure they have access to information to help them make informed decisions about their trading behavior, acknowledges Assia.
We provide regular analysis of price performance, changes and events in the sector, while reassuring them about the safety of Etoro as a regulated platform. Etoro is profitable and we use that profit to develop more services for our customers, broadening the offering to create a platform that people can use to manage and invest their money to suit their needs, with a wide range of assets to choose from, beyond cryptocurrencies.
This year, it was reported that tax agencies such as the IRS and HMRC have been contacting cryptocurrency exchanges to bulk request information on customer activity. When asked whether Etoro had fielded any such approaches, its CEO had this to say:
We have been required by tax agencies in the jurisdictions where we operate to provide information on our customers and as a responsible, regulated business, we have done this. We firmly believe that tax harmonization of crypto assets is a precursor to regulation, which is much needed to bring security to consumers and confidence to regulators. 2020 will be a coming of age for crypto assets.
It will also be a coming of age for Etoro if Yoni Assias predictions come to pass. According to the companys founder and CEO, Etoro is on track to launch a debit card, more details of which will follow in 2020. He also asserts that We believe the future of financial services lies in the tokenization of investable assets, and tips Etoro to focus its energies here in the coming year.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not an offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation, endorsement, or sponsorship of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Images courtesy of Shutterstock.
Did you know you can verify any unconfirmed Bitcoin transaction with our Bitcoin Block Explorer tool? Simply complete a Bitcoin address search to view it on the blockchain. Plus, visit our Bitcoin Charts to see whats happening in the industry.
Kai's been manipulating words for a living since 2009 and bought his first bitcoin at $12. It's long gone. He's previously written whitepapers for blockchain startups and is especially interested in P2P exchanges and DNMs.
- The Biggest Threat To Bitcoin Is Back On Track - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and Three Major Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Below $9.4K - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin tumbles along with stocks amid coronavirus, questioning 'safe haven' theory - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- Why the analyst who called Bitcoins crash to $3,000 believes market could crater - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Is Likely Going Much Higher From Here - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- Tron CEO: Bitcoin to Break $100K in 2025 and Pull Up Other Coins - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Upcoming Bitcoin bull will be the last one we can predict, claims China mining tycoon - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- The Knives are Out on Crypto Twitter as Bitcoin OG Turns into Altcoin Shill - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Adoption Growing at Hyberbolic Rate, Half the World Set to Use Crypto in 7 Years: Willy Woo - The Daily Hodl - February 25th, 2020
- Beanie Babies and Black Markets: Where Mainstream Media Gets Bitcoin Wrong - Nasdaq - February 25th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Coin Rivet - February 25th, 2020
- The Stories of Bitcoin Magazine Revisited - Bitcoin Magazine - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Coronavirus Selloff Throws Cold Water on Safe-Haven Argument - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- Binance CEO Makes Rare Price PredictionSays This Is When To Buy Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoins Potential to Benefit the African-American Community - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- How to Protect Bitcoin for Your Heirs With the Push of a 'Dead Man's Button' - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- Theres a new way to anonymously swap Bitcoin for Monero - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- This Critical Bitcoin Short-Term Top is Sparking Big Correction Fears - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- On-Chain Activity Suggests Bitcoin Price Volatility Will Continue, Thanks to 'Whales' - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- The Surprising Way Millions Are Being Introduced To Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- SEC to Decide the Fate of Another Bitcoin ETF Proposal This Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- After Overnight Flash Crash, Here Are 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Will Rally Again - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- The Simpsons Just Ran a Bitcoin Segment, and Crypto Twitter Is Raving About It - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Why is the Bitcoin price crashing in tandem with the Dow Jones? - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- Over $17 Million USD In Bitcoin Contracts Liquidated, Is A Selloff To $9,000 On The Cards? - Coingape - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Fights to Hold $9.5K to Stave Off a Trend Reversal - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies, still directionless - FXStreet - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Gold Is Held Captive by Whale With Almost Half the Supply - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Signaled Sell And Its Vulnerable to a Massive Correction - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Following Decent $300 Surge Is Bitcoin Ready To Conquer $10,000 Again, Or Just A Temp Correction? - CryptoPotato - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bulls Back in the Driving Seat as Price Crosses $10K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Ready to Explode, According to This Key Metric - CCN.com - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Running a Bitcoin Node Is Easier Than You Think - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin to See a Massive Trend-Defining Movement Because of This Simple Pattern - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Zooms Past $10,200 But Are We Really Done With The Downside? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Things You Need To Be A Successful Bitcoin HODLer - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Forms Key Bullish Pattern That Doubled BTCs Value; Possible Run To $20K? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- Real Bitcoin volume is exploding as seen in Bakkt, fueling the crypto rally - CryptoSlate - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin back to $10K Proves the Bulls Still in Command - FXStreet - February 19th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Bulls Need To Be Very Careful Here: A Big Pullback Is Still Possible - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Is Used by Activists and Refugees to Promote Human Rights - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- Here's how bitcoin gets to $12,000 - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Tron CEO Failed to Convince Warren Buffet on the Merits of Bitcoin - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Jimmy Nguyen discusses future of sports with Bitcoin SV - CoinGeek - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin is coming to Ethereum, again - Decrypt - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Optech Is Connecting the Open-Source and Corporate Worlds - Bitcoin Magazine - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020