There is a lot of chatter going on about the uncertainties of cryptocurrency and how an attempt to tame the raging seas of the crypto market could spell doom for investors. As expected, in the middle of this conversation is Bitcoin (BTC), whose popularity continues to grow in the investment world.
Although Bitcoins volatility is well-documented, this has not stopped investors from adopting cryptocurrencies as a way of effecting a diversified investment strategy. Interestingly, the volatility narrative is somewhat losing its potency as Bitcoin slowly establishes stability.
Hence, I will use this piece to analyze the growing affinity for digital assets and how Bitcoin is fast becoming a viable investment asset class for institutional investors and family offices.
The origin of Bitcoin might have caused many to doubt its efficacy. In a world grounded in a centralized culture, it is understandable that people would initially fight off an anomaly that could uproot the foundations of their belief system. At one point, people did not dare to imagine a world without a stratified institution made up of banks and governments that govern the dissemination of money and information. Now that decentralization is finding its way to even the most traditional industries, it is clear that crypto is here to stay.
Nonetheless, there remains an ounce of doubt surrounding the viability of Bitcoin as an asset class. Some believe that Bitcoin emerged out of nothing. Therefore, it is impossible that the digital asset would retain its value. However, from my recent analysis of the history of money and the various theorems that established the origin of money, it is evident that Bitcoin fulfills the core requirements that other forms of money have passed.
Interestingly, one could argue that the United States dollar, gold and other precious metals have no intrinsic worth market sentiments brought about their valuation.
Institutional investors are aware of the risks that come with allocating a large percentage of their funds to a particular asset or market indices. For one, the downturn of such a market or asset would have a crippling effect on their returns. The same is true for investors that allocate the majority of their portfolio to asset classes that have strong correlations to one another. Hence, adopting a strategy that allows the allocation of funds to different asset classes, with little or no correlation, is the appropriate solution. This is where Bitcoin excels.
VanEckpublished a study that highlighted some of the factors that aided Bitcoins ascendancy as a viable investment product. One of these factors is the digital assets correlation to major market indices. In the study, VanEck noted that Bitcoins apparent disparity from established and emerging markets makes it a suitable portfolio diversification option.
This argument holds after considering the correlation of Bitcoin to other markets from January 2012 to July 2019. While other markets had moderate correlations to one or two traditional asset classes, Bitcoin maintained a very weak correlation to all of the asset classes examined. In other words, Bitcoin could fit nicely into an investment portfolio and boost returns.
VanEcks study went further to prove Bitcoins eligibility as an investment option. This investigation entailed the assessment of the asymmetric return of portfolios allocated to varying percentages of equities, bonds and Bitcoin from January 2012 to July 2019. A portfolio with 58.5% of the fund distributed to equities, 38.5% to bonds and 0.5% to Bitcoin generated returns that surpassed that of a portfolio allocated solely to the S&P 500 by over 150% as of July 2019.
From the basic principle of supply and demand, a commodity tends to retain or increase its value when its supply does not match its demand. In other words, maintaining or increasing the demand for an asset while reducing its supply would eventually cause the price of such an asset to skyrocket. This phenomenon has played out throughout the history of Bitcoin. Bitcoins protocol automaticallyhalves its supply roughly every four years. It is also important to note that it is only possible to create new coins, or mine, a maximum of 21 million BTC, and a total of 18 million BTC has already been mined.
What all these facts and figures mean is that there is a possibility that the price of Bitcoin will continue to soar. And this might have spurred enthusiasts to predict ridiculous price possibilities. One popular crypto supporter in particularasserted that the next halving, scheduled for May 2020, could cause one Bitcoin to sell for $1 million.
Though this prediction sounds over the top, price history shows that the price of Bitcoin has always experienced a surge whenever the reward for finding new blocks undergoes a 50% cut. The last time this happened was in 2016, which led to the unprecedented bull run of 2017. Before this, a Bitcoin was selling for $657. Just over a year later, the price climbed to around $20,000 per coin. Without any doubt, the halving slated for the coming year will affect the price of Bitcoin. Although it is still unclear how much of an impact to expect, I bet that a majority of institutional investors will be closely watching the unfolding drama.
Developers are beginning to understand that sustained adoption will never come to fruition until they resolve the issues battling the efficacy of blockchains scalability and security. Hence, the development recorded in this space is nothing short of remarkable. For one, theLightning Network, designed as a sidechain to the Bitcoins blockchain, could improve scalability and reduce the cost and time for transacting. This, and more, are some of the reasons why the prospect of Bitcoins adoption is looking good.
For what its worth, the advantages of allocating a fraction of ones investment portfolio to Bitcoin trump the disadvantages.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed here are the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions of Cointelegraph.
Constantin Kogan is a venture partner at BitBull Capital, a board member of ABOTMI and has been a cryptocurrency investor since 2012. He has over 10 years of experience in corporate leadership, technology and finance. He contributes to the digital asset space as well as the sharing and value economies.
Read the original post:
Family Offices Finally Accept the Benefits of Investing in Bitcoin - Cointelegraph
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Is Cratering Again, Some People Believe For The Last Time, Again - Dealbreaker - November 26th, 2019
- This Bitcoin Moving Average Can Help Determine the Direction of Trends, Claims Analyst - BeInCrypto - November 26th, 2019
- How to Earn and Spend Bitcoin on Black Friday 2019 - Coindesk - November 26th, 2019
- The ABCs of bitcoin ATM regulation and compliance in the US - ATM Marketplace - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin tipped to slide further to US$6,500 on China clampdown - South China Morning Post - November 26th, 2019
- Localethereum Becomes Localcryptos and Adds BTC Trading - Bitcoin News - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Recovers Above $7,000 But Markets Shiver in Extreme Fear - CCN.com - November 26th, 2019