There is a lot of chatter going on about the uncertainties of cryptocurrency and how an attempt to tame the raging seas of the crypto market could spell doom for investors. As expected, in the middle of this conversation is Bitcoin (BTC), whose popularity continues to grow in the investment world.
Although Bitcoins volatility is well-documented, this has not stopped investors from adopting cryptocurrencies as a way of effecting a diversified investment strategy. Interestingly, the volatility narrative is somewhat losing its potency as Bitcoin slowly establishes stability.
Hence, I will use this piece to analyze the growing affinity for digital assets and how Bitcoin is fast becoming a viable investment asset class for institutional investors and family offices.
The origin of Bitcoin might have caused many to doubt its efficacy. In a world grounded in a centralized culture, it is understandable that people would initially fight off an anomaly that could uproot the foundations of their belief system. At one point, people did not dare to imagine a world without a stratified institution made up of banks and governments that govern the dissemination of money and information. Now that decentralization is finding its way to even the most traditional industries, it is clear that crypto is here to stay.
Nonetheless, there remains an ounce of doubt surrounding the viability of Bitcoin as an asset class. Some believe that Bitcoin emerged out of nothing. Therefore, it is impossible that the digital asset would retain its value. However, from my recent analysis of the history of money and the various theorems that established the origin of money, it is evident that Bitcoin fulfills the core requirements that other forms of money have passed.
Interestingly, one could argue that the United States dollar, gold and other precious metals have no intrinsic worth market sentiments brought about their valuation.
Institutional investors are aware of the risks that come with allocating a large percentage of their funds to a particular asset or market indices. For one, the downturn of such a market or asset would have a crippling effect on their returns. The same is true for investors that allocate the majority of their portfolio to asset classes that have strong correlations to one another. Hence, adopting a strategy that allows the allocation of funds to different asset classes, with little or no correlation, is the appropriate solution. This is where Bitcoin excels.
VanEckpublished a study that highlighted some of the factors that aided Bitcoins ascendancy as a viable investment product. One of these factors is the digital assets correlation to major market indices. In the study, VanEck noted that Bitcoins apparent disparity from established and emerging markets makes it a suitable portfolio diversification option.
This argument holds after considering the correlation of Bitcoin to other markets from January 2012 to July 2019. While other markets had moderate correlations to one or two traditional asset classes, Bitcoin maintained a very weak correlation to all of the asset classes examined. In other words, Bitcoin could fit nicely into an investment portfolio and boost returns.
VanEcks study went further to prove Bitcoins eligibility as an investment option. This investigation entailed the assessment of the asymmetric return of portfolios allocated to varying percentages of equities, bonds and Bitcoin from January 2012 to July 2019. A portfolio with 58.5% of the fund distributed to equities, 38.5% to bonds and 0.5% to Bitcoin generated returns that surpassed that of a portfolio allocated solely to the S&P 500 by over 150% as of July 2019.
From the basic principle of supply and demand, a commodity tends to retain or increase its value when its supply does not match its demand. In other words, maintaining or increasing the demand for an asset while reducing its supply would eventually cause the price of such an asset to skyrocket. This phenomenon has played out throughout the history of Bitcoin. Bitcoins protocol automaticallyhalves its supply roughly every four years. It is also important to note that it is only possible to create new coins, or mine, a maximum of 21 million BTC, and a total of 18 million BTC has already been mined.
What all these facts and figures mean is that there is a possibility that the price of Bitcoin will continue to soar. And this might have spurred enthusiasts to predict ridiculous price possibilities. One popular crypto supporter in particularasserted that the next halving, scheduled for May 2020, could cause one Bitcoin to sell for $1 million.
Though this prediction sounds over the top, price history shows that the price of Bitcoin has always experienced a surge whenever the reward for finding new blocks undergoes a 50% cut. The last time this happened was in 2016, which led to the unprecedented bull run of 2017. Before this, a Bitcoin was selling for $657. Just over a year later, the price climbed to around $20,000 per coin. Without any doubt, the halving slated for the coming year will affect the price of Bitcoin. Although it is still unclear how much of an impact to expect, I bet that a majority of institutional investors will be closely watching the unfolding drama.
Developers are beginning to understand that sustained adoption will never come to fruition until they resolve the issues battling the efficacy of blockchains scalability and security. Hence, the development recorded in this space is nothing short of remarkable. For one, theLightning Network, designed as a sidechain to the Bitcoins blockchain, could improve scalability and reduce the cost and time for transacting. This, and more, are some of the reasons why the prospect of Bitcoins adoption is looking good.
For what its worth, the advantages of allocating a fraction of ones investment portfolio to Bitcoin trump the disadvantages.
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed here are the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions of Cointelegraph.
Constantin Kogan is a venture partner at BitBull Capital, a board member of ABOTMI and has been a cryptocurrency investor since 2012. He has over 10 years of experience in corporate leadership, technology and finance. He contributes to the digital asset space as well as the sharing and value economies.
Read the original post:
Family Offices Finally Accept the Benefits of Investing in Bitcoin - Cointelegraph
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- For The First Time It's Free To Hold Bitcoin In A Retirement Account - Introducing The No Annual Fee Choice IRA For Digital And Traditional Assets -... - July 9th, 2020
- Permissionless Software Foundation Aims to Foster Open-Source Software With Bitcoin Cash - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 8th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin and Cash ISAs! I'd buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to beat the State Pension - Yahoo Finance UK - July 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Bitcoin locked in DeFi hits all-time high of $2 billion - Decrypt - July 8th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Trumps Former Sanctions Chief Joins Bitcoin Investigation Firm Advisory Board As Part Of Expanded $49 Million Investment - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Demand for Bitcoin Will See a Dramatic Shift in 8 Years - Retail Investors to Eat up Entire New Supply | Economics - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Breadwallet and Ledger Live Released Fixes for Flaws in Bitcoin Wallets - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Developer Reveals Layer-Two Private Messaging and Payment System on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Equities Buoy Bitcoin, But Price Headwinds Are Unchanged - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Alleged scammers hid $14 million of stolen money in Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin As A Payment System Crypto Cards And The Rocky Road They Travel - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin will hit $50,000 by the end of the year Nexo co-founder - Crypto News Flash - July 7th, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Volumes Crash 36% to $393 Billion in June, a Low for 2020 | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- 20K Bitcoin Is Still On The Table - Futures Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Facebooks Libra Stablecoin Project, Ethereum (ETH), Near, Bitcoin Cash are Currently Most Active Development Projects: Report - Crowdfund Insider - June 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin on the brink of a breakthrough? Or a crash? Same writer offers up two scenarios - Straight.com - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Drop to Key $9K Support Could Place the Uptrend in Peril - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Last Time This Key Statistic Hit All-Time High, Bitcoin Saw A 3900% Parabolic Rally - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's March to $100K: A Number of Crypto Experts Who Believe the Price per BTC Touches Six-Digits | Market Updates - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Analyst predicts major correction in price of Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 And Jerome Powell Will Test Bitcoin's Resilience - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Bitcoin Price Could Be on the Verge of a New Uptrend - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- BTSE Exchange Offers Futures Contracts Tracking Tether Gold and Priced in Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Forks Have Trounced Bitcoin This Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Nightmare Come True: User Pays $2.6 Million in Transaction Fees to Send $134 of Ether | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- This bootstrapped startup built an eBay for Bitcoins and is heating up Indias crypto market - YourStory - June 13th, 2020
- Stocks, Safe Havens and Hodlers 5 Things to Eye in Bitcoin This Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Bitcoin Trade Is Developing Well - RealMoney - TheStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price could be on the cusp of major bullish breakout - IG Bank - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rises Above $10K for First Time in 25 Days as Protests Roil US Cities - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- JPMorganBitcoins Biggest EnemySuddenly Appears To Be Going All In On Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Surges Above $10,000 Amid Unrest, Riots In USWill It Hold? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rising, Satoshi Discoveries, & Google Enters the Race: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Last Time This Happened, Bitcoin Surged From $3,150 to $14,000 - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 2nd, 2020
- On the 'Bitcoin Fixes This' Meme - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- Reddcoin (RDD) Nears PoSV v2 Activation, Clearing Way for Explosive Developments | Press release - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- With Riots Erupting in US Cities, Using Tools of Peaceful Protest Can be More Meaningful - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020