The Federal Reserve appears ready to pursue yet another untestedstrategy that could ultimately boost inflation and possibly prices for bitcoin.
The Fedis preparing to effectively abandon its strategy of pre-emptively lifting interest rates to head off higher inflation,according to a new report in theWall Street Journal.
The shift signals an explicit willingness by the central bankto tolerate higher inflation, at a time when the spreading coronavirus continues to ravage the economy. TheU.S.unemployment rate stands at11%, a levelnot witnessed since the early 1940s until this year.
TheFeds extra loosening ofmonetary policycould help support prices for bitcoin, which many cryptocurrency investors speculate could serve as an effective hedge against inflation, similar to gold. Bitcoin prices have already soared 58% this year, beating silvers 36% andgolds 30%, not to mention the 2% gain in the Standard & Poors 500 Index of large stocks.
Bitcoin rose 1.5% on Monday to $11,338.
As more investors look to digital goldas an inflation hedge in an increasingly digitized world amidst unprecedented government money printing, the cryptocurrency research firm Messari wrote Monday, we know that it wont take much of an institutional allocation until $50,000 bitcoin is back on the table.
The Fedalready has taken monetary policy to a new level of extraordinary this year,pumpingnearly $3 trillion of freshly created money into financial markets earlier and pushing its total assets to about $7 trillion.A growing number of investorsin both digital-asset and traditional markets say theflood of dollars could whittle downthe U.S. currencys purchasing power.
The dollar index, a gauge of the the currencys strength in foreign exchange markets, fell 4% in July, thebiggest monthly dropsince 2010. And the Wall Street brokerage firm Jefferies now predicts that the dollar could fall as much as 15%, according to CNBC.
Bank of America analysts wrote Monday in a report that its becoming a popular trade to bet against the dollar, since investors are worried about the long-term impact of the rapid accumulation of U.S. debt for the U.S. dollars reserve-currency status.
As gold, silver, equities, and long bonds reach record high levels, and the U.S. dollar slumps, the king of cryptocurrenciesmay be back in the spotlight for the foreseeable future,Jeff Dorman, chief investment officer of the cryptocurrency-focused firm Arca, wrote Monday in a weekly blog.
Under the Feds policy shift, according to the Wall Street Journal, the central bankwould allow inflation to drift above a 2% target before raising rates. The idea is that above-target inflation would offsetperiods where consumer price increases were previously below the mark, as has been the case for most of the past two decades.
The goal is not to increase inflation per se, but to provide assurances to investors that interest rates would remain lowfor a long time, according to the paper. Such accommodation could help to assure a faster economic recovery.
Yet, higher inflation could further distortalready uncanny signals emanating from bond markets, further undermining the dollars attractiveness. Nominal yields on 10-year U.S. Treasury bonds are currently around 0.6%, close to historic lows. Once inflation is factored in, thereal yields equate tonegative 1%.
Assuming nominal yields dont rise much anytime soon, an inflation rate above 2% would cause bond investors to fall even further behind.
Negative real rates imply a loss in purchasing power from holding U.S. Treasuries,the ideal conditions for non-income producing assets such as gold and silver but also crypto assets like bitcoin, the analysis firm Delphi Digital wrote on July 31.
Theres some risk that a fresh panic in markets might prompt investors to rush back into dollars, which couldmeana redux of the March crash inbitcoin prices.
But according to an Aug. 2 Bloomberg News story, the next risk-off scenario might not see investors rushing into dollars, due to theflood of liquidity unleashed by the Fed.
Any haven rally is likely to be shallower than in previous years, according to the report, while the possible extent of depreciation remains the same.
Everything hinges on the dollar right now, Mati Greenspan, founder of the cryptocurrency-focused research firm Quantum Economics, wrote Monday in an emailto subscribers.
Tweet of the day
BTC: Price: $11,186 (BPI) | 24-Hr High: $11,480 | 24-Hr Low: $11,164
Trend:Bitcoin is again struggling to find a foothold above $11,400 amid signs of buyer exhaustion on the three-day chart.
The number one cryptocurrency by market value is currently trading near $11,290, having hit a high of $11,424 during the Asian trading hours. Tuesday is the second straight day of bull failure above $11,400. Prices hit a high of $11,480 on Monday, but printed a UTC close below $11,240.
Essentially, bitcoins recovery rally from Sundays flash crash low of $10,659 has stalled with the area above $11,400 acting as stiff resistance.
The bulls need quick progress now, or the focus would shift to the uptrend exhaustion signaled by a major doji candle seen on the three-day chart.
A doji occurs when prices see two-way business during a specific period. While it is usually considered a sign of indecision, in this case, it has appeared following a notable rally to 11-month highs above $12,100. As such, it represents buyer fatigue.
The three-day charts relative strength index (RSI) is also reporting overbought conditions with an above-70 reading. Thus, a pullback to $11,000 cant be ruled out. A move below that psychological support would expose the former hurdle-turned-support at $10,500 (February high).
Alternatively, a sustained move above $11,400 on the hourly chart would strengthen the case for a re-test of recent highs above $12,000.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- 'Massive moment' as first ever DLC smart contract deployed on the Bitcoin mainnet - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Argentina Government Refuses to Pay $4M Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers Who Paralyzed Its Borders | News - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- Square Aims to Stop Patent Trolls From Killing Bitcoin Adoption - Decrypt - September 10th, 2020
- How bitcoin met the real world in Africa - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Schiff buys more Bitcoin But theres a twist - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- If A Second Stimulus Check Is Coming, Using It To Buy Bitcoin Could Be A Disaster - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Braced For A Massive Week - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Taking Its Place on the Global Monetary Stage - ETF Trends - September 8th, 2020
- A new phase in Bitcoins evolution - City Index - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin - The Future of Digital Currencies - Nairametrics - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Trons TRX Weekly Technical Analysis September 7th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 4th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists Announced to Compete for USD $100,000 - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 2nd, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Coinsilium backs RSK as Bitcoin and DeFi rocket (COIN) - Value The Markets - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- What Top US Politicians and POTUS Election Candidates Think of Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Macro Trend Unaffected by Chinese Investors $50B Tether Exodus - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- YFI Price Exceeds Bitcoin Price at $15K But Theres a Catch - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins Bull Run Is Slowing Pullback Now Expected - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Lost Its Way: Heres How to Return to Cryptos Subversive Roots - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- John McAfee Ditches Ghost Crypto Project: He Says It Will Fail | News - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Dust Attacks Make a Mess in Bitcoin Wallets, but There Could Be a Fix - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- 12 Crypto Firms Authorized to Operate License-Free in Hawaii for Two Years | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- China's Bitcoin Mining Industry Impacted the Most This Year, Says Report - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Tesla: America's Most Loved Assets on Tradingview | News - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) has a 30% Chance of Hitting $17k by EOY - Crypto Analyst - Ethereum World News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Keeps Rejecting $12K Heres What Can Happen to BTC - Cointelegraph - August 16th, 2020
- U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to Be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups - The New York Times - August 16th, 2020
- With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last YearAnd Its Still Soaring - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- What Venezuelans Think About Bitcoin and American Media - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- Surging Chainlink Pushes Bitcoin Cash Out Of The Crypto Top Five As Wild Value Tops $6 Billion - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- Coinbase to Offer Bitcoin-Backed Loans to US Customers - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- PSF Token Invokes the First Coin-Age Staking Protocol on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Wallet Reveals USDT Support - Users Can Swap and Store SLP-Based Tether | Promoted - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin's flash crash and recent rally explained - BNN - August 4th, 2020