Litecoin(LTC), a nine-year-old cryptocurrency whose price returns have chronically underperformed the bigger and better-knownbitcoinin recent years, is hitching its wagon to a new star: privacy.
The blockchain industry subsector of privacy coins cryptocurrencies with embedded technology that shields identifying information from public view is becoming one of this years hottest buys. One of the biggest privacy coins,zcash(ZEC), which offers shielded transaction capabilities, has nearly tripled so far in 2020, whilemonero(XMR), which uses a technique called ring signatures to obscure sender and receiver data, has doubled.
Litecoin founder Charlie Lee told CoinDesk in an interview the project is now looking to adopt key privacy-enhancing features, which he sees as increasingly attractive to cryptocurrency users. The enhancements are already being tested, and an upgrade to the main network is scheduled for next year.If the effort succeeds, it might inject ajolt of enthusiasminto a project that has suffered from a lack of momentumin digital-asset markets. Litecoin is up 21% this year after a 38% gain in 2019, which pales in comparison to bitcoins 59% year-to-date gain and a 94% increase last year.
I want to make it so that users dont have to worry about giving up their financial privacy by using litecoin, Lee said. Even if youre not doing anything illegal, you dont want people to know how much money you have or what your paycheck is. Daniel CawreyRead More:In Effort to Differentiate, Litecoin Makes a Move to Privacy
Litecoin vs. bitcoin since start of 2019.
Bitcoin daily chart.
Bitcoin is hovering near $11,400 at press time, having snapped a six-day winning trend with a 1% drop on Tuesday.
Notably, the cryptocurrency formed an inside day candle on Tuesday, aborting the immediate bullish technical outlook. Inside day candle occurs when the cryptocurrency trades well within the preceding days high and low and indicates consolidation.
As such, Tuesdays high of $11,567 is now the level to beat for the bulls. A break above that level would signal a continuation of the recent rally and open the doors for resistances above $12,000.
Alternatively, acceptance under Tuesdays low of $11,314 would imply a bearish reversal and could yield deeper declines.
That said, the on-chain metrics favor a continued rally. The seven-day average of bitcoins hashrate or measure of the processing power dedicated to the blockchain rose to a record high of 144.29 exa hashes per second(quintillion hashes per second)on Tuesday, surpassing the previous peak of 143.19 EH/s observed on Sept. 18, according to data source Glassnode.
It indicates high miner confidence in the cryptocurrencys price prospects. Miners largely operate on cash and liquidate their BTC holdings to fund operations. As such, they are likely to dedicate more resources to the computer-intensive mining process if they are bullish on price.
Bitcoin (BTC):Giant money manager Fidelity pitches bitcoin asalternative investment.
Ether (ETH):Ethereums network upgrade (Eth 2.0) isexpected soonand could address scaling issues associated with its legacy platform.
JPMorgan calls Squares $50M bitcoin investment strong vote of confidence for the cryptocurrency (CoinDesk)
Bank of Russia seeks limit on amount of digital assets retail investors can buy (CoinDesk)
Blockchain could give $1.7T boost to global economy by 2030, PwC report says (CoinDesk)
New cVIX index tracks crypto market volatility (CoinDesk)
The saga of Blue Kirby shows DeFiers are a trusting lot, until theyre not (CoinDesk)
Coinbase chief compliance officer departs amid as CEOs apolitical stanceproves political (CoinDesk)
Nasdaq-listed Marathon Patent teams with Beowulf Energy to co-locate bitcoin mining facility in Montana (CoinDesk)
Lesson of third quarter is that crypto is still a retail dominated industry, The TIEs Joshua Frank writes (eToro/The TIE)
BitMEX charges show that days are gone when innovators could take a lackadaisical approach to regulatory and legal compliance (Arca)
Coin Metrics analysis maps BitMEX execs Arthur Hayes, Ben Delo and Samuel Reed to their respective withdrawal keys (Coin Metrics):
Chart showing which founder keys were used to authorize BitMEX withdrawals. At least three keys must be used on any given day to authorize withdrawals. Founder Key A is presumed to belong to Reed held Founder Key A, since he was arrested on Oct. 1. Key B is presumed to belong to Delo and C to Hayes.
The latest on the economy and traditional finance
IMFs Tobias Adrian sees risk of sharp adjustment in asset prices or periodic bouts of volatility (IMF)
BlackRocks Larry Fink sees futurewithjust 50% of workers in offices (Bloomberg)
Argentine president says government has no intention of devaluing countrys currency (Bloomberg)
Chinese tech hub Shenzhen toyswith digital yuan pilot program (SCMP)
Interest rate cuts in U.S. and elsewhere have China buying hitherto unattractivegovernment bonds from Japan(CNBC)
Environmental, social and governance concerns could take toll onstock valuations, ValueActs Jeffrey Ubben says (Reuters)
Tweet of the Day
Sign up to receive First Mover in your inbox, every weekday.
- Bitcoin to tumble further: oddsmakers bet on drop to $10K - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Actually Traceable, Pipeline Investigation Shows - The New York Times - June 12th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: Be patient with bitcoin, approach the S&P with caution - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- As bitcoin falls to $32K, two strategists discuss whether it's a buy now - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Outlook: Futures a Warning to JPMorgan - Bloomberg - June 12th, 2021
- Hacking bitcoin wallets with quantum computers could happen but cryptographers are racing to build a workaround - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces from 3-week lows why 'bad narratives' have one trader staying neutral - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency News Today June 12: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Shiba Inu and other top coins prices and all latest u... - Zee Business - June 12th, 2021
- El Salvador looks to become the first country to adopt ... - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin extends losses, falling below $32,000 after U.S. seizes most of Colonial ransom - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin believers have nothing to worry about; their crypto is here to stay - Business Standard - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin skids to two-week low, but technical analyst says the slump is not a 'decisive breakdown' she's watching the next two closes - MarketWatch - June 8th, 2021
- Thousands of bitcoin believers descended on Miami to party and preach the gospel of 'HODL' - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Plunge In Steepest Drop Since May - TheStreet - June 8th, 2021
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- China Reconsiders Its Central Role in Bitcoin Mining - The Wall Street Journal - June 8th, 2021
- El Salvador may be the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal tender - Yahoo Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin of America is Hoping to Inspire Women to Join the Crypto Industry by Sending its Powerful Female Team to Bitcoin 2021 - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Take that, Miami: Hong Kong hosts its own Bitcoin meetup - Forkast News - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is greener than many --- including Elon Musk --- think it is - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin hits $38K as BTC price breaks above 'line in the sand' resistance - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Volatility Reached Its Highest In A Year During May - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin is headed toward its worst month since 2011; 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' author says that's 'great news' - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Wall Street struggles to sell Washington on Bitcoin for the masses - POLITICO - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin contends with biggest monthly drop on record - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Want to Stop Ransomware Attacks? Ban Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies. - The New Republic - June 2nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency expert says Bitcoin, Stablecoin payments will be accepted by more businesses - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Crypto market comeback? Ask experts anything about dogecoin, bitcoin, Ethereum latest and more - The Independent - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 7% as investors brace for another bouncy weekend - Aljazeera.com - May 30th, 2021
- In the Battle over Bitcoin, Its Bull vs. Bear in Elon Musks Brain - Barron's - May 30th, 2021
- Analyst says reclaiming $37,500 is Bitcoins crucial line in the sand - Cointelegraph - May 30th, 2021
- When Is Bitcoin's Reign Going to End? - Analytics Insight - May 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, ethereum, dogecoin and more - Moneycontrol.com - May 30th, 2021
- Billionaire Ray Dalio says he owns bitcoin, and its 'greatest risk is its success' - CNBC - May 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin hovers around $40,000 after a wild week of trading - CNBC - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides along with other cryptocurrencies - Fox Business - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Crashes Toward $30,000 As Ethereum, Binances BNB, Cardano, Ripples XRP And Dogecoin Lead Another Crypto Price Plummet - Forbes - May 28th, 2021
- Why is the price of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies falling? - CBS News - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Depot Among Industry Leaders to Participate at Bitcoin 2021 Conference - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 8% as it heads for bruising monthly drop - Reuters - May 28th, 2021
- How Far Bitcoin Could Fall If the Selloff Worsens - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitfarms Mines 1000th Bitcoin with Hydroelectricity This Year - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and bonds wont cut it. Buy these 6 types of assets for protection in a bear market, says strategist. - MarketWatch - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoins Reliance on Stablecoins Harks Back to the Wild West of Finance - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrencies That Outperformed During Bitcoin's Crash - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin investors are flying too close to the sun: analyst - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Investing vs. Invisible Hardware of the Nanocosm - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin: I'll either be rich, or wrong - Financial Times - May 28th, 2021
- Crypto News: Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies Suffer Another Weekend Rout - Barron's - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up, then down. But exactly how does it work? - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2021
- MORNING BID-Bitcoin and Belarus in the headlines - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Recovery rally takes bitcoin back above $40k; Treasury proposal weighs on gains - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices tumble 50% from peak and Mark Cuban calls the crypto crash the 'great unwind' - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin has just crashed and we may see another rally. But is this the time to buy? - ABC News - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin Vs. Gold: Surviving Inflation - Forbes - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin recovers after plunge that shaved $1 trillion off crypto market: CNBC After Hours - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Crypto strategist sees pullback in bitcoin and ether as a healthy sign after massive rallies - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Why is crypto crashing? Will bitcoin prices ever recover? Here's what traders and investors say - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Growth Stocks to Buy That Could Be Bigger Winners Than Bitcoin and Dogecoin - Motley Fool - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin flash crash amplified by leverage and systemic issues - Financial Times - May 24th, 2021
- Some old investing lessons from the Bitcoin crash - Mint - May 24th, 2021
- If You Invested $1,000 in Bitcoin 10 Years Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Elizabeth Warren: 'There's a real issue' with environmental impact of bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- Marathon Miners Have Started Censoring Bitcoin Transactions; Here's What That Means - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Tennessee man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - wreg.com - May 9th, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoins upcoming Taproot upgrade and why it matters for the network - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC) or Ether ($ETH): Which Crypto Coin Is a Better Investment? - Bloomberg - May 6th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Square gets a bitcoin boost with revenue up 266% - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Crypto Expert Predicts That Bitcoin Will Eventually Hit $1 Million USD per Coin - HYPEBEAST - May 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price live: Experts predict latest ethereum and dogecoin records may be early stages of rally - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 6th, 2021
- DeFi More Disruptive to Banks Than Bitcoin, Says ING - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 6th, 2021