Since the end of 2017, the conventional thinking was that well-heeled financial institutions would take the reins from retail investors, becoming the driving force and primary investor class in crypto.
But areportout last week from derivatives exchange ZUBR argues retail investors are not just here to stay, they could end up absorbing more than half of bitcoins daily fresh supply in as little as four years.
Youre readingFirst Mover, CoinDesks daily markets newsletter. Assembled by the CoinDesk Markets Team, First Mover starts your day with the most up-to-date sentiment around crypto markets, which of course never close, putting in context every wild swing in bitcoin and more. We follow the money so you dont have to. You cansubscribe here.
By the time the next reward [halving] era comes around in 2024, retail could potentially account for eating up over 50% of the physical supply, the report predicts.
Using data from analytics firm Chainalysis, ZUBR found the number of wallet accounts holding small whole balances, anywhere between 1 to 10 bitcoins sizes that suggest retail rather than institutional had risen rapidly.
Since bitcoin hit its all-time high at the end of 2017, the number of retail wallet holders more than doubled, reaching 215,000 by the start of June 2020.
In total, these entities hold over 500,000 bitcoin (~$4.6 billion), up over 100,000 since the start of 2019.
On average, 144 bitcoin blocks are mined every day. After the next halving in 2024, about 450 bitcoin will enter circulation each day. Assuming demand continues at its present trajectory over the next four years, ZUBR estimates the amount of new bitcoins demanded daily by retail investors could be at around 250 well over half the daily supply four years from now.
And thats only wallet addresses with whole numbers. Adding in wallets with fractional balances and daily demand could be even higher. ZUBR also excluded crypto held in exchange accounts from its study.
At the start of the year, approximately 1,800 new bitcoins entered into circulation each day. Since the block reward fell from 12.5 to 6.25 in mid-May, the daily bitcoin supply has dropped to just 900.
Assuming the same level of mining activity, daily supply will likely fall down to just 225 bitcoin by the end of the decade.
These supply pressures make a highly bullish case for bitcoin, said Jason Deane, analyst atQuantum Economics.
Bitcoin has a perfect supply curve, total (maximum) supply is always known, and it can only be lower due to lost coins, he told CoinDesk.
Although bitcoins total supply stands at around 21 million, the estimated number of coins believed to have been lost or otherwise irrecoverable ranges between 1.5 million, according toCoinMetrics, or even as high as 4 million, according toUnchained Capital. That puts even greater pressure on supply.
But the real variable is demand. Should this continue to increase, there will come a point when it will outpace supply, causing bitcoins price to rise.
A rising price might help burnish bitcoins credentials as a store of value asset; possibly creating a virtuous circle where price increases help bolster the store of value narrative which, in turn, leads to further price increases.
Indeed, going back to ZUBRs research, this virtuous circle may already be present.
Since the start of 2020, balances for retail-sized entities have grown continuously month on month. Despite unprecedented market volatility bitcoins price fell nearly 40% in March there has not yet been a month so far this year where the total amount of bitcoin held in retail-sized wallets has decreased.
Zooming out, there hasnt been a month of net decline since April 2019. Going out even further, there have only been five months since the mining of the genesis block, more than 11 years ago, where the monthly amount of retail balances of bitcoin have decreased, rather than grown.
This natural hodling mentality might suggest that retail investors, as an investor class, see bitcoin as a natural store of value, rather than a medium of exchange, and are, therefore, hoarding as much as they can, anticipating further price increases.
Indeed, events such as Black Thursday on March 12, which temporarily took the bitcoin price down below $5,000, might have been seen more as a unique buying opportunity, rather than an existential threat to the cryptocurrency.
In fact, some institutions and brokeragestold CoinDeskat the time they were offloading as much of their bitcoin as possible onto retail investors, some buying for the first time, who were buying up to two to three times as much as they were normally.
According to Deane, this should come as no surprise. If you assume that demand is going to continue rising, just as daily supply continues to fall, its reasonable that retail investors may be buying in anticipation of further price hikes.
The market may soon be at the point where instead of dealing in bitcoins, many small-time traders will instead be buying in satoshis, bitcoins smallest divisible unit at approximately 0.00000001 BTC (currently around 0.009 of a cent).
Obtaining a whole bitcoin will be very difficult in the future and most people will only deal in satoshi, which will almost certainly become the norm, especially for individuals, Deane said.
Tweet of the day
BTC: Price: $9,106 (BPI) | 24-Hr High: $9,190 | 24-Hr Low: $9,025
Trend:Bitcoins price bounce from lows below $8,850 seen over the weekend has run out of steam, and the cryptocurrency looks vulnerable to deeper declines.
At press time, bitcoin is trading near $9,100, having faced rejection around $9,200 during Sundays U.S. trading hours.
On the hourly chart, a bearish trendline connecting the June 22 and June 24 highs is still intact. Meanwhile, the relative strength index (RSI) has fallen back into bearish territory below 50. The MACD, too, has crossed into the negative territory.
The same indicators are also reporting bearish conditions on the daily and three-day charts.
In addition, the weekly chart shows signs of uptrend exhaustion: Bitcoin has been above a trendline connecting the June 2019 and February 2020 highs (yellow line) for six weeks. Even so, buyers are failing to step in.
As a result, a retest of the weekend low of $8,830 cannot be ruled out. A violation there would expose deeper support levels lined up at $8,630 (May 24 low) and $8,638 (50-week moving average).
On the higher side, immediate resistance is seen at $9,172, the hourly charts bearish trendline. Above that, the focus would shift to $9,344 (a lower high on the hourly chart). The overall bias would turn bullish only after a move above $10,000.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- 'Massive moment' as first ever DLC smart contract deployed on the Bitcoin mainnet - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Argentina Government Refuses to Pay $4M Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers Who Paralyzed Its Borders | News - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- Square Aims to Stop Patent Trolls From Killing Bitcoin Adoption - Decrypt - September 10th, 2020
- How bitcoin met the real world in Africa - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Schiff buys more Bitcoin But theres a twist - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- If A Second Stimulus Check Is Coming, Using It To Buy Bitcoin Could Be A Disaster - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Braced For A Massive Week - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Taking Its Place on the Global Monetary Stage - ETF Trends - September 8th, 2020
- A new phase in Bitcoins evolution - City Index - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin - The Future of Digital Currencies - Nairametrics - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Trons TRX Weekly Technical Analysis September 7th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 4th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists Announced to Compete for USD $100,000 - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 2nd, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Coinsilium backs RSK as Bitcoin and DeFi rocket (COIN) - Value The Markets - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- What Top US Politicians and POTUS Election Candidates Think of Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Macro Trend Unaffected by Chinese Investors $50B Tether Exodus - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- YFI Price Exceeds Bitcoin Price at $15K But Theres a Catch - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins Bull Run Is Slowing Pullback Now Expected - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Lost Its Way: Heres How to Return to Cryptos Subversive Roots - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- John McAfee Ditches Ghost Crypto Project: He Says It Will Fail | News - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Dust Attacks Make a Mess in Bitcoin Wallets, but There Could Be a Fix - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- 12 Crypto Firms Authorized to Operate License-Free in Hawaii for Two Years | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- China's Bitcoin Mining Industry Impacted the Most This Year, Says Report - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Tesla: America's Most Loved Assets on Tradingview | News - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) has a 30% Chance of Hitting $17k by EOY - Crypto Analyst - Ethereum World News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Keeps Rejecting $12K Heres What Can Happen to BTC - Cointelegraph - August 16th, 2020
- U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to Be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups - The New York Times - August 16th, 2020
- With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last YearAnd Its Still Soaring - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- What Venezuelans Think About Bitcoin and American Media - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- Surging Chainlink Pushes Bitcoin Cash Out Of The Crypto Top Five As Wild Value Tops $6 Billion - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- Coinbase to Offer Bitcoin-Backed Loans to US Customers - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- PSF Token Invokes the First Coin-Age Staking Protocol on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Wallet Reveals USDT Support - Users Can Swap and Store SLP-Based Tether | Promoted - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020